Menu

Flu and a funeral

athomeontheprairie

on Monday, two kids are sick. By Tuesday everyone was fine. Wednesday, find. Thursday night (now) one kid is throwing up. I'm queasy, but ok. No one else is showing symptoms (albeit, it's three I the morning...)

Question: we are burying their great grandma In a couple hours. Do we go? Not go? Should I take them to the family viewing and leave for the funeral? Keep sick kid home and send the rest with dh? Do i ask my mil her opinion (it waa her mom)?

They knew her, saw her regularly. We get along with all the family. if it was any other activity, I would absolutely keep them home. Because we homeschool , I keep everyone home to keep it from spreading.

this is the last possible time we'll get to see her, and closure is good...

I'd probably contact MIL and, rather than ask her (which would be a decision burden on her) inform her that DH will bring the kids who are clearly not sick, but that they will be on germ alert and unable to embrace/shake hands (unless they are clearly not carriers because they've had it and it's passed).  Send them with hand sanitizer if you have it, to use frequently, and try to get them to leave ASAP.  

That is really, really tough.  Vomiting really crosses a line beyond normal cold germs for most people though.  :-(  

My brother had to miss our grandma's funeral because of a kidney stone attack.  It was total chaos, because everyone who was an "emergency babysitter" to his four kids was of course at the funeral, as well as everyone who would normally be able to drive him to the ER.  Life sometimes happens at the most inconvenient times.   :grouphug:    

• Like 2

:grouphug:

I would probably stay home with either all the kids or the sick kids.  Your husband can decide if he needs to give his mom a heads-up on why you won't be there, and/or explain your absence to the people there as necessary.

Then when everyone is well I'd try to plan something for closure for your kids.  A visit to the gravesite with flowers or something like that, maybe?

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your loss.

What a hard time to have sick kids. Hoping you don’t have it as well, and your queasiness passes uneventfully.

I would send DH with the kids who have had it and are over it. If you don’t think they are carrying it. I’d call MIL and let her know ahead of time.

Elderly, frail people plus germ exposure... not good.

I’m so sorry, though.

For the kids that stay home, maybe you can do something at home to remember her, and still get some sense of closure?

• Like 2

I am so sorry for your loss.

What a hard time to have sick kids. Hoping you don’t have it as well, and your queasiness passes uneventfully.

I would send DH with the kids who have had it and are over it. If you don’t think they are carrying it. I’d call MIL and let her know ahead of time.

Elderly, frail people plus germ exposure... not good.

I’m so sorry, though.

For the kids that stay home, maybe you can do something at home to remember her, and still get some sense of closure?

:iagree:

Please don't send sick kids where there are likely to be vulnerable people. 

I'm so sorry for your loss, and sorry you have to miss the funeral too. That's grief on top of grief.

I missed my grandma's funeral due to pneumonia and a year later missed my MIL's funeral for the same reason. It's awful, but honestly it's better. Nobody who is sick should be going. The flu bug going around this year is AWFUL. Hospitalizations from it are up 6X in our state. You don't want to be spreading it when you know you're sick. 

• Like 2

With vomiting, keep everyone except dh home, and he should be careful not to shake hands with people. The year we all had norovirus, it started with a cousin who was over it, but clearly still contagious. It spread through our family one by one, and we inadvertently spread it to my sister's family and my dad and my brother's family as this happened over Christmas. It's so highly contagious that it's not worth the risk. And that may not be what you all have, but I would treat any vomiting illness like that.

Send only dh and forbid him from embracing, hugging, shaking hands, touching at all or even standing close to anyone.  Last thing anyone will need is a virus picked up at a funeral.  If your children are really upset, I'd ask dh to video parts or even set up a facetime. Many funeral homes now record or stream services anyway. 

• Like 2

Update for those wondering: my original hope, honestly, was to be able to go to the family only wake this morning. (Only Elderly person would be the deceased's xh. And we live with him. So he's already been exposed). However, my poor kid has been vomiting every 45 minutes since my original post 12 hours ago.

Dh went with the fully healthy kids. And I stayed home with the sick kid and baby (who is showing signs...)

I hate this.

And, I'm so thankful for a washing machine. It's getting a workout...

• Like 3

Update for those wondering: my original hope, honestly, was to be able to go to the family only wake this morning. (Only Elderly person would be the deceased's xh. And we live with him. So he's already been exposed). However, my poor kid has been vomiting every 45 minutes since my original post 12 hours ago.

Dh went with the fully healthy kids. And I stayed home with the sick kid and baby (who is showing signs...)

I hate this.

And, I'm so thankful for a washing machine. It's getting a workout...

That would have been my suggestion if everyone was symptom free.  Sorry it didn't work out!   :grouphug:  for you and the sick ones!  

I didn't post my experience earlier because I didn't want to influence your decision.

We did miss my uncle's funeral because the kids had the flu.  My cousin was 8 months pregnant at the time with two littles.  I figured she didn't need my kids to give her kids the flu during her father's funeral.

I didn't post my experience earlier because I didn't want to influence your decision.

We did miss my uncle's funeral because the kids had the flu.  My cousin was 8 months pregnant at the time with two littles.  I figured she didn't need my kids to give her kids the flu during her father's funeral.

I have a very young relative who has been in the hospital for over a month with complications related to a stomach virus.  Special needs situation, but it's not "just a little tummy bug" to everyone.  Thank you for thinking of exposure to others.

I'm sorry about your loss.  And I hope everyone feels better soon.

• Like 1