Menu

If you've read How to Read a Book by Adler & Van Doren

How has it specifically changed the way you read? What, if any, techniques or habits do you now use that were taught in the book? 

I'm reading it for the second time, the first being with one of my kids along with How to Read How to Read a Book. I liked it a lot the first time, loving it now, and will be doing the duo over summer with my 16yo. 

I started wondering if I'm crazy for reading it so many times, and as enamored as I am with the book, will I actually improve my reading habits. Some things, like quick pre-reading, I've always done. I know I need to improve my reading skills if I want to conquer some of the books on my shelves. I have a lot to work on.

So, for inspiration, can you share any success with me? 

How has it specifically changed the way you read? What, if any, techniques or habits do you now use that were taught in the book? 

I'm reading it for the second time, the first being with one of my kids along with How to Read How to Read a Book. I liked it a lot the first time, loving it now, and will be doing the duo over summer with my 16yo. 

I started wondering if I'm crazy for reading it so many times, and as enamored as I am with the book, will I actually improve my reading habits. Some things, like quick pre-reading, I've always done. I know I need to improve my reading skills if I want to conquer some of the books on my shelves. I have a lot to work on.

So, for inspiration, can you share any success with me? 

Thanks, Helena, for reminding me that I have this book. I'll read it with my kids too.

BldsMama -- Thank you for reminding me that writing in books can be awesome. DH is horrified by people who even dog ear a book, let alone write in it! :lol:

But writing in books that he'll never read has been super helpful to me in so many ways!

Great thread!

Alley

• Like 1

I read it in high school. That’s when I learned that before I buy a book I read the table of contents, index, first few pages, last few pages, and something from the chapter that looks most interesting. (Unless it’s a novel, of course.) I summarize after every chapter or subsection what the primary point was in a sentence. Those are probably my takeaways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It has been a LONG time and I am not entirely certain, but, if I remember right that was the book that taught me to WRITE in books.

I can't tell you how much of a mindset change that was!  (And very helpful.)

And, because this is necessary:

https://bookpeopleblog.com/2011/04/11/poem-of-the-day-marginalia-by-billy-collins/

Yes! They encourage writing in the book, in all sorts of ways, for all sorts of purposes. I thought about doing it but I kind of want to keep the pages clean until I read it with my 16yo this summer. It's hard to do if you've always felt that it "ruins" the book. I need to use certain books more as a tool for learning, than as a sacred thing to be barely cracked.  :huh:

Thanks, Helena, for reminding me that I have this book. I'll read it with my kids too.

BldsMama -- Thank you for reminding me that writing in books can be awesome. DH is horrified by people who even dog ear a book, let alone write in it! :lol:

But writing in books that he'll never read has been super helpful to me in so many ways!

Great thread!

Alley

Have you seen How to Read How to Read a Book? It's an incredibly helpful tool to use along with the book.

Hmmm... I can't find it. Darn.

I read it in high school. That’s when I learned that before I buy a book I read the table of contents, index, first few pages, last few pages, and something from the chapter that looks most interesting. (Unless it’s a novel, of course.) I summarize after every chapter or subsection what the primary point was in a sentence. Those are probably my takeaways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having a hard time with the thought of reading the last pages of any book. I don't even want to do it in How to Read a Book. Haha!