Menu

Lukeion vs. CLRC

Can anyone help me compare Lukeion vs. Classical Learning Resource Center? Ideally we'd prefer LegoMan take both Greek and Latin along with ancient history and mythology classes starting this fall. Lukeion sounds amazing. My major concern is the workload. Even if I take his course load down to a bare minimum, I'm concerned about devoting 20 hours a week to Greek and Latin together. That just seems like a bit much when there's still other subjects to cover.

My oldest does Lukeion Latin. He’s in Latin II this year and did Latin I last year. He really loves it. It is a lot of work, but he does not spend nearly 10 hours a week on it. I’d guess it’s about 5-6 most weeks and 8 on a heavy week, like before the midterm.

He had finished Lively Latin through BB2 before doing Luekion and I think that helped a lot last year. It made it easier as he was learning how to navigate the pace and difficulty level of Lukeion to have the vocabulary and grammar be familiar. 

I know that I’ve seen other people spend a lot longer but I thought I’d just chime in to say that’s not always the case. 

Could you start with one course and see how it goes and then add in another course the next year? 

I haven’t used CLRC so can’t compare it to Lukeion. 

• Like 1

My oldest does Lukeion Latin. He’s in Latin II this year and did Latin I last year. He really loves it. It is a lot of work, but he does not spend nearly 10 hours a week on it. I’d guess it’s about 5-6 most weeks and 8 on a heavy week, like before the midterm.

He had finished Lively Latin through BB2 before doing Luekion and I think that helped a lot last year. It made it easier as he was learning how to navigate the pace and difficulty level of Lukeion to have the vocabulary and grammar be familiar. 

I know that I’ve seen other people spend a lot longer but I thought I’d just chime in to say that’s not always the case. 

Could you start with one course and see how it goes and then add in another course the next year? 

I haven’t used CLRC so can’t compare it to Lukeion. 

5-6 hours per class is far more doable! He's a super bright kid and generally moves very quickly through material so I suppose there is hope. 

My DD is in High School Latin IV at CLRC. She and I both love the course.  Anne Van Fossen is an amazing instructor and is so very good with the kids. I highly, highly recommend CLRC.

Do you have a guess on how much time she spends on homework and studying outside of class each week?

Do you have a guess on how much time she spends on homework and studying outside of class each week?

This year has been quite an increase in workload, to the extent that I discussed it with Anne to make it more doable. I schedule 90 minutes per day. (They've been translating The Aeneid which, I am given to understand, can be particularly challenging.)

Prior to this year, she was able to get everything done with me scheduling one hour per day for Latin (4 days a week; class on the 5th day.)

• Like 1

DD12 is bright and is doing Latin 1 with Lukeion this year.  She is at the top of her class and spends maybe 3-4 hours a week on it total, including doing the HW, quiz, and the class itself.  That said, I've heard great things about both providers and we plan to use CLRC for some things Lukeion doesn't offer in future years.

• Like 1

He is pretty young so he has a lot of time. Could he do either Latin or Greek next year and add the other the following year if it seems like a good idea? My daughter is very bright but she does spend a full 10+ hours on Lukeion Latin to do a passable job. So the workload might be minimal like mentioned above or it could be more - even for a bright kid.

ETA: I've been debating about what to do for my Ds13. He wants to do Mandarin and Greek. I decided to sign him up for a Mandarin class at CLRC this spring to see how he does before I commit him to two somewhat difficult languages next year.

Edited by Meriwether

My son is in Latin II to this year with CLRC. Highly recommended. My son is an average student, he spends 2 hours one day in class, then 5 hours or so per week. Most of the time it is an hour per weekday. Of course more on weeks with exams. He started off having Latin for Children A and B before CLRC. Latin I was easier, maybe only 30-45 min on the 4 days he didn't have class. The workload ramped up a bit with Latin II. I really like the classes, the instructors have been great and love the structure of the classes.