Menu

Mid year shakeup

I shook things up for our 6th grader today because he has been bored and disengaged. I put him on ALEKS for math, and enrolled him to take social studies on campus - he already goes every day for orchestra and this is the period right before that. I am also enrolling him in a GradPoint science course with American school. He takes two writing classes at a co-op, so this will have everything covered. What worked for our older son - working at home with books - was not working for the younger. I love having the flexibility to make changes.

These ideas had been percolating for next year, but I slept well last night and woke up with a clear plan this morning, to not wait and to start them ASAP. The ALEKS is on, the school will get him in the class on Tuesday, and I just need to email a form to American and pay for the class.

Has anyone else made sudden major mid year changes ?

update:  The American class didn't work out because the honors isn't available right now, and the other one is only a half year, but he will go through it more quickly and I don't want to spend the money for just a month or two of science.  So I am going to try Acellus in tutor mode for him instead. 

Edited by Laundrycrisis2
  • Like 2

This semester my high schooler is starting her rhetoric book. Not a big change. I had it planned all year, but we didn't have time to get it in last semester. She likes it so far. And she will be starting driver's ed as soon as I put in some calls and figure out how to get it started. I can't believe she is old enough for that! She is also working on her Girl Scout Gold Award. She also babysits a lot. So no major changes in school. She does all of that on top of her regular schoolwork listed below. She just seems so grown up these days. 

• Like 1

We got my ds' mental health stabilized and now we're gonna go gang-busters with SOCIAL! Not sure if I'm excited about that or not, but we'll see how it goes. We're going from him not willingly participating in anything social to being in two weekly groups and a monthly outing group, which is pretty fun. If that goes well, then we'll use the confidence and skills from there to get him into some other, more mainstream social opportunities like scouting.

• Like 2

Not really a shake-up, but I am doing a trial of Homeschool Planet and put in a couple weeks' worth of assignments for each kid. My older one is pretty good about doing-the-next-thing, but sometimes he misses something, and he doesn't keep track of what he does very well. This way I can see if he is on track to finish on time. I also moved his work station to our downstairs office, so he is closer and more likely to ask for help. I also just signed him up for a leadership group and am getting him more involved in our teen center. 

I did more of a curriculum shake-up in our second quarter - changed his history book (three times, sigh), changed French (twice, sigh), and switched back to novel studies for English, which is what I ALWAYS come back to! 

Yeah, big shake-up here.

I tested my kids and found some gaps that I'm trying to fill by making some curricular changes. BA was not a good fit for my 5th and 2nd graders. They liked it well enough, but they weren't retaining much. So we're back to CLE and planning to stay with it for the foreseeable future. 

Their reading skills are well above level but spelling is just at grade level so I'm going to put some additional focus on that. 

• Like 1

A few changes for us this semester. My dd finished her MUS and grammar book mid-year. I didn't have much money to replace them with, so we're finishing the year with Acellus for math and language arts. I'm hoping to fill some gaps with both subjects so we can have a fresh start next year.

Yeah, big shake-up here.

I tested my kids and found some gaps that I'm trying to fill by making some curricular changes. BA was not a good fit for my 5th and 2nd graders. They liked it well enough, but they weren't retaining much. So we're back to CLE and planning to stay with it for the foreseeable future. 

Their reading skills are well above level but spelling is just at grade level so I'm going to put some additional focus on that. 

Not that you asked, but that's really smart and wise of you. Good job, Mama!

• Like 1

Huge shake up here.  Both boys (12 year old 6th graders; always homeschooled) just started a University Model school.  They attend Tuesday and Thursday and work from home on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  We are still adjusting and probably will be for a while but I needed the accountability, they needed to start moving toward a bit more independence and I really don't want to teach high school.  So the teaching is done at the school and I am more of a tutor, when needed, and a monitor of work, provider of encouragement,, etc.  Starting in 7th grade, they will go 3 days per week because their electives will be on a separate day.

This is a new, very small Christian school (their class has 6 students) and I am very impressed with the teachers. It is growing very fast though.  I am hopeful this will be a long term solution for us.  Their plan is for high school students to take dual enrollment so they graduate high school with an associates degree.

So far, one boy loves it and the other has mixed feelings but, overall, is excited to be going.