What's with the ads?

#1 reign

reign

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

Does any one know of an Illustrated book of literary devices? Or a book that has an explanation of literary devices in picture book format. I can find books for teaching literary devices using picture books but I'd like one with examples in the text and for it to be visually appealing. Not black and white text. Thanks!

#2 perkybunch

perkybunch

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1648 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

Not that I have found, but there are bulletin board sets/posters that illustrate literary devices.  I have several.  

This has literary elements like plot and setting: Creative Teaching Press Mini Bulletin Board Set, Literary Elements

This has simile and hyperbole and such:  Eureka Figurative Language Bulletin Board Set, McDonald Publishing Figurative Language Teaching Poster Set,... there are quite a few.

You can also get picture books on specific things like similes and metaphors.

Actually, now that I think about it, this is probably pretty close to being a picture book with a lot of literary devices:  McDonald Publishing Figurative Language and Elements of Literature, Tear-Offs.  http://www.mardel.co...ature/p/2938884

#3 Plum Crazy

Plum Crazy

The Doctor's next companion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7646 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

Teachers pay Teachers might have something like that. 

There's a set based on The Hobbit that might interest you.

https://www.teachers...Posters-3343357

#4 domestic_engineer

domestic_engineer

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

We've checked some out from our library ...  There's a series by Brain Cleary and another series by Nancy Loewen.  Here are links to their books on similes:

one by Brian Cleary

one by Nancy Loewen

Maybe Amazon can suggest some from those books?

Or search your library's catalog under the literary device you want.  I just found this book by searching our card catalog for Onomatopoeia.