Menu

Theology for kids

bethben

Is there anything that explains theology for kids?  Any curriculum that is better at getting into the Bible and Christian worldview better?  My dd loves the Bible (this is all on her just in case you're wondering - my other two boys are less enthusiastic).  She knows even obscure facts that most people don't know and has a pretty good understanding of how the Bible applies to life.  She's reading through "What the Bible is All About for Young Explorers" in her free time.  How can I encourage this more?  I'd like her to start getting a little deeper in her understanding of the world and how it relates to God.  She'll be 5th grade so I feel like she can start thinking about the harder questions.  Any suggestions?

I got this to review for my grands and nephews.  It's formatted for use with various age groups.  I haven't delved into it deeply yet, but from what I see, it looks good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/194257228X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used this with my kids. I'd say it's good through about 5th or 6th grade. There are samples at christianbook.com .

Studying Catechism questions is another good way to cover theology. 

Edited by silver
  • Like 2

We used CAP's God's Great Covenant for awhile. Very thorough, lots of deep, thoughtful topics, especially if you use the teacher's guide and notes to prompt discussion. Not great if you want her to use it on her own. It's VERY Reformed, so if that's not your thing, it may not be a good fit. In the end it was too Reformed for us.

We now use Luther's Small Catechism as our primary teaching tool.

I know next to nothing about this book, but maybe it fits? It's designed for kids.

The Ology by Marty Machowski

ETA: Just noticed it was recommended up thread!  Sorry I didn't check the other poster's Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/Ology-Ancient-Truths-Ever-New/dp/194257228X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515869610&sr=8-1&keywords=the+ology+marty+machowski

We also have used God's Great Covenant for multiple years, and I fully agree with PeachyDoodle that I don't think they would get enough out of it on their own. The teacher's guides are great.

If you are interested in a catechism book to use as a family, we liked  Training Hearts, Teaching Minds by Starr Meade  https://www.amazon.com/Training-Hearts-Teaching-Minds-Devotions/dp/0875523927/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515869699&sr=1-1&keywords=starr+meade

Edited by cintinative

If she's mostly done Bible reading before, something else to consider would be the history of the Church.  It tends to incorporate theology - you can't learn about the Arian controversy without learning some theology!  

But it puts it in a historical context which has significant benefits in terms of understanding theology itself.  And even for 5th graders, often they have a limited ability to to the real abstract thinking required in theology, but they absolutely can manage the narrative of history and biography.