Menu

Roast Chicken

IfIOnly

This recipe - butterflied roast chicken with quick jus - (link to Serious Eats) might be a little more involved than what you're looking for, but you can skip the steps of butterflying the chicken and making the jus with the backbone.  It's not hard or complicated though, and the results are delicious!  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

I do something similar to Laura. It's an easy Ina Garten recipe. It also works wil oil instead of butter. Even when I have the chicken on a low rack, I often have to tent wilth foil if it browns too much.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/perfect-roast-chicken-3523136

My speciality chicken place (fresh killed birds) recommends roasting at 325 degrees, much lower than the above recipes. Honestly, I don't see a gigantic difference between the two methods above.

Home roasted chicken is so much tastier than store bought that I will never go back! And, if you can afford a chicken that is even one step up from the absolute cheapest supermarket brand, it will taste even better.

ETA

OP, I read your post, but answered later, so forgot exactly what you said. I see you cook roast chicken regularly, and my recipe is a lot like yours. I'll leave it up in case someone else wants it. Sorry!

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

I keep it simple.

I wash a couple of small lemons very thoroughly.  Then I cut them in eighths and put them into the cavity, skin and all.

I mix herbs (usually Italian seasoning herbs) and garlic salt and white pepper and stuff it under the skin of the breast.

Then I rub olive oil all over the outside, and sprinkle with salt and white pepper or paprika, and roast it until it's done.  Usually I make roasted potatoes also--parboil quartered mediumish potatos until almost soft, toss with olive oil and minced garlic, bake in a ceramic dish tossing occasionally, if they brown it's better, but sometimes they don't and are still good.

• Like 1

I do something similar to Laura. It's an easy Ina Garten recipe. It also works wil oil instead of butter. Even when I have the chicken on a low rack, I often have to tent wilth foil if it browns too much.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/perfect-roast-chicken-3523136

My speciality chicken place (fresh killed birds) recommends roasting at 325 degrees, much lower than the above recipes. Honestly, I don't see a gigantic difference between the two methods above.

Home roasted chicken is so much tastier than store bought that I will never go back! And, if you can afford a chicken that is even one step up from the absolute cheapest supermarket brand, it will taste even better.

ETA

OP, I read your post, but answered later, so forgot exactly what you said. I see you cook roast chicken regularly, and my recipe is a lot like yours. I'll leave it up in case someone else wants it. Sorry!

Oh, the whole garlic bulb in the cavity is something I hadn't heard of. Our family loves garlic and would probably like to eat it. Do you eat or toss?

• Like 1

Got the fryer in the oven. The awesome thing is I went ahead and butterflied the chicken but found that when it's cut that way, I could also put the compound butter not just under the breast skin, but the thigh and leg skin too! Can't wait to try it.  Can't beat 45 minutes cooking vs an hour and a half. DH keeps saying how good it smells. :) 

This recipe - butterflied roast chicken with quick jus - (link to Serious Eats) might be a little more involved than what you're looking for, but you can skip the steps of butterflying the chicken and making the jus with the backbone.  It's not hard or complicated though, and the results are delicious!  

This recipe is so good!

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 3

So wonderful with mashed potatoes in the IP. The gravy was sooo good. Thank you! I did slice an onion thinly and layer it in the pan under the chicken and then blended the onion with the juices when making the gravy. Because I love food pics and there might be someone here that does too:

thumbnail_20180111_190131_zpszwruuval.jp

thumbnail_20180111_190148_zpszgdm38ss.jp

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 4

mmm roast  chicken

I once did it something like this way and it was delicious:

https://www.popsugar.com/food/Whole-Buffalo-Chicken-Food-Video-39942074

That looks so good! I like how they recommended leaving the seasoning rub on at least a half hour before cooking. I could probably try that sometime with any roast chicken recipe to see if it makes a difference flavorwise with the end result.

• Like 1

I learned about sticky chicken on this board. I still don’t know why it’s called that because that makes me think of an Asian dish. It’s just a way to get a rotisserie-like bird in your oven. I’ll bet someone has adapted this for the IP by now since it cooks low and slow. You do the spice rub the day before and it cooks for a long time. This is great for people like me whose cooking energy happens earlier in the day.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/45954/roast-sticky-chicken-rotisserie-style/

• Like 3