Menu

Irritated by Online Registration

readinmom

Just a vent.  My ds gets priority registration at the community college.  For fall semester, the system crashed right at the opening of registration, took three days for them to figure it out.  His schedule had to be manually entered by his counselor.  When he logged into his account the next week, he had a completely different schedule, with courses he did not choose.    

He had a window to register for spring semester today from midnight to 7 a.m., and the system wouldn't let him register for two of his core classes, saying he had not met the prerequisites, which he had. After several tries, it let him choose some classes, but then said his schedule had time conflicts, which it didn't.  So, so frustrating.  We were up until 2 a.m. yelling at the poor computer :cursing: .  He was able to get some classes, but it still would not let him enroll in the ones that he needs for transfer.   

I miss the good old days of filling out a schedule, walking it into the registrar.   Does anyone else have issues like this?  Just curious...

I miss the good old days of filling out a schedule, walking it into the registrar.    

I do not miss those days at all, lol! It was an all day thing. Everybody in a huge room. Fill out the card and turn it in. Wait for it to be spit out so you can see what classes you got into. Redo the card, sometimes having to sacrifice already-scheduled classes to try and make a new schedule work. Submit again, wait again, repeat as needed. 

However, we have not had any of the online problems that you describe. Online registration has been pretty hassle-free at both of the universities where we have used it. I would be complaining like crazy for sure. 

Yes, I'm dreading because our state-wide system is going to a new system starting in May. The idea is that summer will be trouble-shooting time, and it will be great for the fall. We've had this one for over a decade, and it's a bit clumsy to use but extremely reliable.

I've been an adjunct for twenty years. I remember the previous system and the changeover that was supposed to be so smooth. It was an utter wreck. I told DD that she's registering for the fall EARLY, and then she has log in once a week from May on to make sure it doesn't change.

My dd had priority registration as an Honors student at a huge university and would stay up all night to be one of the first online registrants at 7:00 a.m. She called me early one Monday in a panic, as she kept getting an "ineligible to register" message. I finally guessed it may have been related to Daylight Savings Time, which had started the day before. Sure enough, an hour later, she was able to register.  I just imagined all of those panicked students who couldn't get in on time!

This semester, my son had a mixup with a waitlisted class. He contacted Registration via email, as the students are instructed to do, and when he didn't hear back promptly, I suggested he contact a particular person in that office who knows him from earlier registrations. She helped him get everything straightened out within 15 minutes.

Some of this stuff can test your stress levels, but it usually does work out in the end, somehow!

DS finalizes his schedule yesterday at CC. We did it in person because he is under 16. Last night he logged into My Blackboard which said that he wasn’t enrolled in any classes. S:-s

Classes start tomorrow for me and Blackboard still says I'm not enrolled in any classes  :toetap05:

ETA My kids have taken classes at 4 colleges and done online registration at all of them. The only issues have been caused by our lack of understanding of the system, but things have always gone pretty smoothly with no issues like the OP had.

Edited by Momto2Ns

IIRC, Blackboard often doesn't work until the first (or second, grrr) day of class. So, I wouldn't worry about Blackboard (as far as it saying you're not enrolled - obviously, I'd talk to the prof if it's not showing up on the first day of class). 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

IIRC, Blackboard often doesn't work until the first (or second, grrr) day of class. So, I wouldn't worry about Blackboard (as far as it saying you're not enrolled - obviously, I'd talk to the prof if it's not showing up on the first day of class). 

Thanks for this. Mine actually activated just hours after I complained lol. Ds and Dd's schools had both had theirs up for a week. 

• Like 1

Just a vent.  My ds gets priority registration at the community college.  For fall semester, the system crashed right at the opening of registration, took three days for them to figure it out.  His schedule had to be manually entered by his counselor.  When he logged into his account the next week, he had a completely different schedule, with courses he did not choose.    

He had a window to register for spring semester today from midnight to 7 a.m., and the system wouldn't let him register for two of his core classes, saying he had not met the prerequisites, which he had. After several tries, it let him choose some classes, but then said his schedule had time conflicts, which it didn't.  So, so frustrating.  We were up until 2 a.m. yelling at the poor computer :cursing: .  He was able to get some classes, but it still would not let him enroll in the ones that he needs for transfer.   

I miss the good old days of filling out a schedule, walking it into the registrar.   Does anyone else have issues like this?  Just curious...

That sounds so frustrating! Our process is nothing like that--quick and painless, and I do like doing it from home! However, we do have a registrar's office (new students are required to register that way the first time, after visiting an adviser.) If I had any trouble, I'd go there with a class list and get in person help with the site. Would that be an option for your son?

LOL about the good-ol days! I went to a large state school and they had rows and rows of tables of registrars with computers, and a couple of flaggers to show the next person in line who was open, to keep things moving. The line was generally at least an hour long, sometimes a couple of hours if you didn't time it right! I did kind of like it though--went with friends so we could all talk in line. But...yeah, our current system is so fast and easy. I'm sorry it wasn't for you!

• Like 1