Menu

FYI to graduating college class of 2018 re: clear bag policies in stadiums. And, a question

Hoggirl

I'm sure all your colleges will have this info up on their commencement websites, but I am a fan of planning and wanted to give a heads-up to those who may have college graduations in stadiums. I am aware of this new policy because we are big college football fans, but I know not everyone on here is. A "clear bag policy" was implemented in our local college stadium this year. Pretty sure it's NCAA-wide now. I also don't know if it applies to arenas - we don't attend basketball games. So that might be worth investigating if your child's graduation will be in an arena.

At any rate, I wanted to let you know that stadiums restrict bags that can be brought in to a clear (no patterns, no colors on the vinyl),12x12x6 bag and/or a small (like 4.5 X 6.5) wallet -sized bag. The latter does not have to be clear, but it's really tiny! Or you can bring a gallon-sized Ziploc, but that's not a fashion statement I want to make, and carrying one of those all day would be difficult, IMO. Ds's school will provide a bag check at graduation for those who haven't received this heads-up and bring their usual, giant handbag. Personally, I would not be comfortable checking a purse with my driver's license, credit cards, check book, etc., so I Am putting out this PSA so no one is caught unaware upon arrival at a graduation ceremony.

Since my mil has a birthday coming up and since she and fil will be attending graduation, I thought getting her a stadium-compliant bag would be a fun gift. I can't decide whether to get her a large tote or a messenger bag. The bags don't have to be 12x12x6 - that's just the max size. They just have to be clear. I will be buying a 12x12x6 tote for me as I plan to carry water in. Any thoughts on what size/type to buy as a gift for mil? Her usual purse isn't tote-sized, but it's much bigger than the allowed non-clear bags. They are inexpensive, so it's not like I'll be making a costly error if I choose incorrectly. I can buy one with the college logo on it, but I didn't know if that was a good idea or not. What do y'all think?

• Like 3

Our stadium has had this policy for quite a while. The only problem with the ones that have the college logo is that there are a lot of them (as they sell them at the stadium store for those that arrived unaware) and I have seen people grab the wrong one. Locally, the policy does not apply to our arena.

• Like 1

Our high school stadiums are going to this policy, but we're allowed to have lettering on the bag.
Personally, because these bags aren't comfortable to carry, I've opted for the smaller ones. We're not allowed to carry in food or drink at some of the stadiums either, including bottled water. But we have to pay the $5 per bottle price. :(

ETA: Correcting autocorrect. I shouldn't post from my phone.:)

Edited by wilrunner
  • Like 1

Our stadium has had this policy for quite a while. The only problem with the ones that have the college logo is that there are a lot of them (as they sell them at the stadium store for those that arrived unaware) and I have seen people grab the wrong one. Locally, the policy does not apply to our arena.

That is an excellent point! I looked at the logo one again, and it doesn't have a zippered top anyway. Makes that one a no-go for me.

I re-read the policy and on ds's campus the clear bag policy also applies to their arena.

Sealed water bottles can be brought into graduation as well as empty re-usable water bottles (to fill at water fountains). But, yes, they are selling water during graduation.

I looked at the logo one again, and it doesn't have a zippered top anyway. Makes that one a no-go for me.

This one has a zipper though logo is in plain white instead of red https://m.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10001&categoryId=10043&productId=77016875&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&langId=-1&top_category=10029&parent_category_rn=544257&storeId=10161

Parking on campus is the nightmare though.

ETA:

Policy is very restrictive, even camera size is restricted. http://www.gostanford.com/news/2016/7/11/all-clear.aspx

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

This one has a zipper though logo is in plain white instead of red https://m.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10001&categoryId=10043&productId=77016875&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&langId=-1&top_category=10029&parent_category_rn=544257&storeId=10161

Parking on campus is the nightmare though.

ETA:

Policy is very restrictive, even camera size is restricted. http://www.gostanford.com/news/2016/7/11/all-clear.aspx

Thanks! I'm going to go with plain. I found one on Amazon that also has a zippered inside pocket.

My phone will be by camera.

Planning to park at the stadium and walk the rest of the day. All tips are welcomed! Feel free to PM me anything you think might be helpful! Thanks!

Mostly wanted others to know about the clear bag thing, but it sounds like it's old news for even non-sports enthusiasts.

Is that just for school events? I remember attending a professional soccer game at Stanford and I had my big black backpack and no questions were asked.

I have no idea. Looks like it was implemented in 2016. Here is a link to the info. It specifically lists the stadium and Maples. I didn't read all of it:

http://www.gostanford.com/news/2016/7/11/all-clear.aspx

• Like 1