Menu

Oh, please tell me how to handle this. I'm fuming!

Meadowlark

I'm going to be that person for a minute...

How old is the son?  Because by age 11, 12, 13, middle school years, I WAS the method of communication between the club/organization and my parent.  I was responsible for getting there at the right time and getting a ride home.  I was responsible for knowing when meetings were, what time, and where.  If I messed up somewhere and forgot a meeting or couldn't find a ride home, that was on me.  During middle school I was in soccer, after-school music groups, honor society, TREND (like DARE for middle schoolers), and was a leader for a Relay for Life team and going to meetings at the ACS offices.  None of that was planned/arranged/communicated through a parent.  No one was calling my mom about dates and times for meetings or practices and to make sure she was aware of what was going on.  If I wanted to join, I had to figure it out myself.  If someone called the house with schedule changes, they talked to me, not my parent.

Is that how it is these days, with instant and always-on communication?  That parents plan and schedule all this and kids are the last to know?  And why are we handing out leadership titles if there's little responsibility until late teens and adulthood?

(If he's still elementary age, ignore this.. but even then, why the VP title?)

• Like 11

The thing is, EVERYONE has their own problem with XYZ method because of things like this.  For some people, it's a problem with FB, for others it's a problem with group emails, for others it's a problem with texts, etc etc.  That is exactly why I think having 2 methods of communication is important.  Your problem with group emails is not really any different than someone else's problem with FB. 

Sure, and they know when they join that our primary method of communication is Facebook.  They can also stay for meetings and listen to the announcements in the beginning. Most of my parents like to leave but staying for the first 10 minutes and then leaving would get them the majority of the information they need.

If there is a last minute change, I do send an email to the entire group so anything last minute is also communicated two ways.

Because that isn't how things work all the time. She responded to you in the moment - probably because she didn't have the time at her disposal to think about this Very Important Issue and wanted to at least acknowledge your email. She is a volunteer. This is your problem, not hers. She has no obligation to take on your problem just because you let her know you had one.

Why not just join FB?

Why not just actually ask her if she would give you special treatment?

Why not take over the communication for your group?

Why not just start your own 4-H group that customizes communications for each individual member?

I mean, the "why not just" could go on indefinitely. The bottom line is this is your problem to solve, not the 4-H leader's.

And clearly-I *am* trying to solve it. I think I've already communicated that I will do just about anything at this point to get the information so that my son doesn't miss out. I just cannot be on Facebook for reasons I am not going to disclose here. 

Edited by Meadowlark

And clearly-I *am* trying to solve it. I think I've already communicated that I will do just about anything at this point to get the information so that my son doesn't miss out. I just cannot be on Facebook for reasons I am not going to disclose here. 

Well, you opted out of the communication method. You let the leader know that you were opting out and assumed that she would cater to you and now you're mad that she isn't. You asked a friend, who is also really busy with her own 6 children, to notify you. Now you're going to do what? Text/email/call this volunteer monthly/weekly/daily to ask if there are any changes so that she can repeat the same message she already sent to FB? 

• Like 6

There have been tons of discussions on this board about how people need to own their own choices on media. If a group communicates by FB then it is your responsibility to keep up with it or to get a personal friend to let you know if they are willing. It is not the responsibility of the group to find a way to communicate with you specifically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said and I agree.  

I am not on FB but if the group I needed to be informed of was, than I would do it. 

I would not expect them to send me emails just because I am not on FB.  Not their job.  

There would be no reason for me to be mad about this. 

Well, you opted out of the communication method. You let the leader know that you were opting out and assumed that she would cater to you and now you're mad that she isn't. You asked a friend, who is also really busy with her own 6 children, to notify you. Now you're going to do what? Text/email/call this volunteer monthly/weekly/daily to ask if there are any changes so that she can repeat the same message she already sent to FB? 

So, am I understanding that even if the OP takes the burden of seeking out the information via text/email, etc she is STILL the problem?  

If I text a leader and say ,"Hey, I'm just confirming the meeting is at 4:00.  And no changes, right?"  That is a hardship to the leader? To text , "yep. no changes."?

So, am I understanding that even if the OP takes the burden of seeking out the information via text/email, etc she is STILL the problem?  

If I text a leader and say ,"Hey, I'm just confirming the meeting is at 4:00.  And no changes, right?"  That is a hardship to the leader? To text , "yep. no changes."?

It depends. If it is simply to confirm meeting times, then it's probably fine. But if she isn't getting ANY information in any other way, it's probably not just meeting times. Although honestly, confirming meeting times via text every week would also drive me batty. 

If someone opted out of the communication method that a group I led was using, I'd be very irritated to have to re-iterate all the communication with said person when they called/texted/emailed. 

Because it's just one. more. thing. that I'd have to do, knowing that there are people who don't appreciate the work I put in. Which is apparent in the comments like "That is a hardship to the leader?" Because, yes, it can be. And if it is, it doesn't mean they are a bad leader. Sometimes people are bad group-members.

• Like 5

I don't understand. When a leader says "sure, I can do X" and then the leader doesn't do X....that is the fault of the group member?

To me, this is kind of like...changing a phone or email address. Lets say this group uses group text instead of FB (which is a perfectly normal and common way for groups today to communicate.) And some one in the group changes their phone number. They notify the leader of the group, who says "sure, I will update my group text list with your new number." Then.....the leader doesn't. That isn't the group member's fault, it's the leader's fault. "Sorry, it's hard for me to remember to change my group text list" doesn't really work.

If a leader says "I will communicate with you by X method" then I think the leader should use X method. If the leader can't use X method, than the leader needs to be the one to let the group members know. BEFORE there's a problem.

It is true that the leader should have said,

"I am doing this all for free on top of my normal family duties. You get what you get and you don't throw a fit. If you want to done another way do it yourself."

When I volunteer I do make that clear.

The volunteer was too gentle with OP.

But OP should take a hint. "I'll do my best" followed by "sorry but I am doing my best" should be an acceptable, accepted alternative meaning "my best is Facebook and I won't insult you for asking for personalized service from this all volunteer organization, but that's not going to happen."

And it is true that of you don't have money, or don't have Facebook, or don't have transportation, or don't have time to volunteer, your kids are going to miss out on things like scouts, 4H, co-ops, etc.

If you want it done your way do it yourself. That's not harsh. That's just reality. All these things are run by people sacrificing their own kids' dinner, their own lunch breaks and book reading and work outs and time with their partners. For your kid.

It is up to the recipients of their gifts of time to make it work and not demand special services.

• Like 7

If I text a leader and say ,"Hey, I'm just confirming the meeting is at 4:00. And no changes, right?" That is a hardship to the leader? To text , "yep. no changes."?

If there are no changes, it's not a burden. If she's just texting back the word "yes" or a thumbs up, no big deal.

(But the way you worded the query isn't yes or no. It's "yes, mtg @4, no changes")

But if there are changes, that's tedious. "No, mtg @3 at Lions club bldg, fees for field trip collected this week bc next week's mtg canceled, bring white shirt for tie dye"

And then you have to ask, "what field trip? Do you need more chaperones? If you're stopping for a meal can you go someplace without dairy - remember ds allergy. Do you mean the city or the county lions club..."

By this point she really wants to link you to the Internet site where the information already IS.

This is going to infuriate some people, but I don't believe in the No Facebook necessity. If it's not a matter of security - like you're in the witness protection program or something - it is just a preference. You can lock it down to not see whatever it is that annoys you about FB. You can connect the private group to email, if you don't even want to visit the site...this has all been explained.

I've got friends who have high security issues, who are allowed locked down accounts without pictures or identifiable names. For example, Gertrude Melanie Smith would be on there as Mel Trudy and would never post a photo, or allow friend requests or private messages from non-friends. But she can read there, and post questions about t-ball in a private group!

• Like 9

I am in the same position wrt Facebook. You can ask her to make the group public and check for announcements.

I think groups like this should not only communicate through FB.  I'm sorry, it is not some neutral communications entity that everyone has.  I appreciate that the leaders are volunteers, but it is not the case that that means they can just pick their favourite platform and insist everyone who wants a kid in 4-H join it.  

It is not hard to do a group email for people you contact regularly, and I'd consider that more basic than a FB page for a group.  Email is a standard communications method that almost everyone has access to through home, or work, or a library.  Increasingly you need to have it even for government services, just like you need a phone.  It's a reasonable and easy communication option, and if people don't check it - well, that really is their problem.

FB is not and should not be that kind of thing - if the policy says that people "have" to belong to FB to be communicated with, it's a bloody bad policy.

Actually, especially with larger organizations like 4-H, I think maybe the national levels should think about hosting some sort of way on their own websites for this kind of information to be disseminated, and prohibiting the use of social media like FB for that purpose.

• Like 8

I am in the same position wrt Facebook. You can ask her to make the group public and check for announcements.

That is against most groups privacy policies and I would have an issue with it.

• Like 5

It depends. If it is simply to confirm meeting times, then it's probably fine. But if she isn't getting ANY information in any other way, it's probably not just meeting times. Although honestly, confirming meeting times via text every week would also drive me batty. 

If someone opted out of the communication method that a group I led was using, I'd be very irritated to have to re-iterate all the communication with said person when they called/texted/emailed. 

Because it's just one. more. thing. that I'd have to do, knowing that there are people who don't appreciate the work I put in. Which is apparent in the comments like "That is a hardship to the leader?" Because, yes, it can be. And if it is, it doesn't mean they are a bad leader. Sometimes people are bad group-members.

I do appreciate the leaders of groups and have been in the past and I tell them so. Often. :)

My friends who post invites on FB take a screenshot and send it to me via text.  I don't ask them to, but they know I appreciate it because I tell them.

Edited by rjand6more

I think groups like this should not only communicate through FB. I'm sorry, it is not some neutral communications entity that everyone has. I appreciate that the leaders are volunteers, but it is not the case that that means they can just pick their favourite platform and insist everyone who wants a kid in 4-H join it.

It is not hard to do a group email for people you contact regularly, and I'd consider that more basic than a FB page for a group. Email is a standard communications method that almost everyone has access to through home, or work, or a library. Increasingly you need to have it even for government services, just like you need a phone. It's a reasonable and easy communication option, and if people don't check it - well, that really is their problem.

FB is not and should not be that kind of thing - if the policy says that people "have" to belong to FB to be communicated with, it's a bloody bad policy.

Actually, especially with larger organizations like 4-H, I think maybe the national levels should think about hosting some sort of way on their own websites for this kind of information to be disseminated, and prohibiting the use of social media like FB for that purpose.

You are wrong. The person volunteering their time to lead gets to pick. One sports team my son is on has an app. It annoyed me to learn a new app but that is how it goes. I’m not in charge, I don’t get to pick.

ETA—and anyone who thinks email is an easy way to communicate has never been in charge of a group with over 100 members. I assure you that that is not an easy or effective means of communication.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 18

You are wrong. The person volunteering their time to lead gets to pick. One sports team my son is on has an app. It annoyed me to learn a new app but that is how it goes. I’m not in charge, I don’t get to pick.

ETA—and anyone who thinks email is an easy way to communicate has never been in charge of a group with over 100 members. I assure you that that is not an easy or effective means of communication.

If there are no changes, it's not a burden. If she's just texting back the word "yes" or a thumbs up, no big deal.

(But the way you worded the query isn't yes or no. It's "yes, mtg @4, no changes")

But if there are changes, that's tedious. "No, mtg @3 at Lions club bldg, fees for field trip collected this week bc next week's mtg canceled, bring white shirt for tie dye"

And then you have to ask, "what field trip? Do you need more chaperones? If you're stopping for a meal can you go someplace without dairy - remember ds allergy. Do you mean the city or the county lions club..."

By this point she really wants to link you to the Internet site where the information already IS.

This is going to infuriate some people, but I don't believe in the No Facebook necessity. If it's not a matter of security - like you're in the witness protection program or something - it is just a preference. You can lock it down to not see whatever it is that annoys you about FB. You can connect the private group to email, if you don't even want to visit the site...this has all been explained.

I've got friends who have high security issues, who are allowed locked down accounts without pictures or identifiable names. For example, Gertrude Melanie Smith would be on there as Mel Trudy and would never post a photo, or allow friend requests or private messages from non-friends. But she can read there, and post questions about t-ball in a private group!

I do get your point  Some people are too busy to have a text conversation.  I am a very busy mom with lots of outside stresses.  I would be happy to do what I can to keep everyone in the loop.

I feel like I have a legitimate reason for not having a FB acct.  I don't feel like it is a "preference". If you knew me, you would laugh at me thinking I'm a special snowflake.:) 

It has nothing to do with a "whim."  It has to do providing a reliable means of providing information to the group at possible. I don't care what two methods groups use, but I think all groups should use two.  Whether that's group text and FB, or a web calendar and flyer, or email and phone calls or whatever.  Crap happens.  People's computers die, their kids drop their phones in puddles, flyers get lost, whatever.  Backups. 

I have been a GS leader, and a co-leader.  I am not ignorant of what sort of work goes into volunteering for these types of positions. 

I have never been expected to use two forms of communication for any kind of activity, no matter how important.  Not the IRS, not the courts, not health care, not the corporate world, etc.  (OK I take it back - a few major government submissions still require both electronic and paper submission.)  I've been in all sorts of organizations - some use email, some use text, some use online tools such as facebook.  I have the technology to accept all so I accept all.  I use technology to minimize the annoying aspects of each.  I consider it my responsibility to access information if I want to participate in the activity.

While it is true that some organizations use multiple forms of communication, I disagree that this is how it "should" be.  Duplication of efforts is generally not a good management practice.   There are good reasons why we do it sometimes, such as special needs or other hardships, but a mere preference is not a good enough reason to expect it.

Also, in my job I have been known to forget to add someone to the routing list.  It doesn't make me a bad person or a lazy/selfish one.  It happens when someone has too much to do and not enough time to do it.

• Like 16

Call her frequently (weekly?) to ask about time changes, or anything else that is different from master calendar that you need to know about.  Also always call the morning of meeting and remind her right then that  you are not on FB so if anything changes between your call and the meeting, you need to know by phone call or by text by _____ time in order to be able to get your son there on time.

As someone who has directed numerous groups and large events, I have to say I would not find this acceptable. At all.

The woman is a volunteer. She organizes the group on her own time for no compensation. People who choose to participate in the group do not have any right to dictate how information is disseminated. It would drive me completely crazy to get frequent phone calls about details that are posted, and it really is asking a LOT for one person to need special phone calls or emails.

Facebook is actually not a moral issue. It is a logistical platform that some like and some dislike. Asking members to keep a Facebook account in order to receive information is a reasonable expectation--there is no need to post anything or share personal information.

• Like 17

Another FB hater here.  But when it becomes important for me to communicate with groups, I will set up a dummy account.  

Similarly, I'm waiting anxiously for my cell phone to die, because my ds's judo communicates through a What's App group and I don't have a smartphone.  

I still get to control HOW I use those platforms, it doesn't have to be all or nothing.  

I will NOT put the burden of responsibility on someone else.  I don't know a single person who has that kind of spare brain-space to remember me constantly, even with the best of intentions.  

• Like 10

Yikes! It's just her opinion and not fair to say she's wrong just because you think you're right.

I couldn't have written this response better-spot on!

I should have snipped her comment. She said that being in charge doesn’t mean you get to pick the communication platform. That is wrong. Being in charge means...you are in charge! You get to pick. Edited by Moxie
  • Like 9

There sort of is, you can’t pretend to be someone you’re not. But you can use a nickname, which is what I did. It wasn’t a fake name, per we, but an alternative moniker. I’m a rule follower too but was comfortable with this.

I found this:

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=1477997755851541

It appears you may use a nickname in addition to(will show up next to your name) not in place of your real name.

• Like 1

I agree, it’s definitely not a neutral platform. It’s tough, because some people are convinced it’s fine and the group leader seems to be one of them, so whether she is wrong or not she is the one volunteering and gets to set the terms.

E-mails and texts are not completely secure, either. They aren't necessarily anymore "timely" or "accessible" than fb.

And a volunteer doesn't necessarily get to decide how an organization communicates with its members. Sometimes it's the Board of Directors who make the decision, for example. 

• Like 4

Yikes! It's just her opinion and not fair to say she's wrong just because you think you're right.

I couldn't have written this response better-spot on!

I think what she meant to say is that it is irrelevant.

The leader is providing what is effectively thousands of dollars worth of work to the families.

They can accept the gift graciously or demand she do it their way.

Be gracious. Being a group leader is hard even when people aren't critical.

I agree that Facebook is not a good platform.

I also think that unless I give up my dinner, my free time, my date night, for other people's likes, I have to use it. Or not join.

Does that make sense?

You can be right about Facebook and wrong in thinking that you get to tell a gift giver what to give.

• Like 8

I should have snipped her comment. She said that being in charge doesn’t mean you get to pick the communication platform. That is wrong. Being in charge means...you are in charge! You get to pick.

You are making a huge assumption that the person sending out the e-mails makes the decisions on how information is communicated. You are wrong. They aren't always "in charge" of that.

Ooh I love the group text idea. I'm going to see if she'd be open to that.

On another note-There are only 6 families, and I know 1 of them personally. I have asked her to inform me of things if possible because this is becoming an issue. But, she is also busy with 6 kids and hasn't communicated with me either.  I just feel so in the dark, and don't know what to do. This is starting to bother my son so I have to find a way to fix this. I will not join FB under any circumstance so that is out. I've asked a friend to help inform me-not working well. What is next? 

FYI my husband has a flip phone -- NOT a smart phone. When people send group texts (Such as our boy scout leader) he does not consistently get them. Some of the smartphone group texts do not go through to a "dumb" phone.  We get around it by asking her to put me on the list as well (since I also have a smartphone) so we at least get the information.But if you have someone in your list with less money, they may not have access to a smartphone and thus not get group texts sent from one.

• Like 2

Actually, it's the other way around. The IRS offers multiple ways to do your taxes. The courts offer multiple ways to pay your ticket. The health insurance company has websites and apps and emails and phone numbers and FB and everything else. My husband's work communicates with their employees by in person meetings and phone conversations and texts (and an app for payroll.) The government certainly does not require that you only use one form of communication. And in fact, most organizations do offer multiple means of communicating. I have actually never encountered one IRL that ONLY uses FB.

We pay taxes for the government. Maybe too much or too little depending on your POV.

You get what you pay for.

If OP wants this changed she should do it herself. That is the solution. I have not seen anyone respond to that.

• Like 3

It is a legitimate choice for a VOLUNTEER leader to choose her favorite means of communication and the one she knows she can be successful with.  You may think all these places should use 2 and maybe that would be nice for some people.  But there is no unwritten law saying that is true. 

It is a legitimate choice to choose not to be on facebook.  That's fine.  Just know that it's not the world's responsibility to keep you in the loop if information is dispensed there that is not elsewhere. 

The leader's response "Good to know" spelled out clearly she's not an e-mail communicator.  Good to know might just mean - meh, ok, I'll know not to tag you on facebook anymore or expect to see you there.  Not - I would love to jump through an additional hoop to keep you informed and up to date.  Since you haven't seen e-mails the writing has been on the wall for 2 months.   

Volunteer parents are just the same as other parents.  If you're going to be mad why not be mad at the other family you asked to let you know about this who is not the leader who doesn't have other responsibilities?  When you are unhappy with the way a volunteer led group is being run, the options are to step up and offer to take some responsibility or to leave the group. 

One of my kids has a FB account with a nickname.  You can use a nickname, no photos, and not friend any one.  Then you can bump up your notifications so you really don't have to log on. 

• Like 13

I thought poor communication was a requirement of 4-H.  That seems to be what I've found out from anyone I've met who does 4-H and from our local groups.  Even the people running it don't know what's going on.  Requiring FB to communicate is an improvement over the "I don't know, call around on this eight year old phone list and see if anyone remembers what 4-H is" method they use around here.

Totally off-topic, but I agree.

I set up a FB group for our county 4-H. The leaders of the club appreciated it. We got better participation in events because the FB communication worked for most people here.

But the county/district agents didn't like it. They didn't like my name (xxxx County 4-H).  They said no one could find their county FB page because of my group and that was hindering communication. So they made me take it down. That was the day we decided that 4-H was way more trouble than it was worth. Why would you not want something that increased participation? 

If the leader isn't sure she can accomodate, then say so. There's nothing wrong or rude about that.

I am curious how people would feel if this was the other way around. Lets say it's the leader who has been doing FB, then decides to leave. And says she will use group texts (and ONLY that) to communicate from now on. And someone pipes up and says they don't have a smart phone, just a dumb phone that doesn't receive texts. Is that person now a special snowflake?

Even my dumb flip phone received texts.

• Like 2

Dd's dumb phone will not receive group texts.  We don't know why.  It is a problem.  Until she upgrades, which will be a while, I have to have my number also on group texts for activities that communicate that way.  I can then forward the text to dd.  It is a pain for me but certainly not the organizer's problem that dd does not own a smart phone.

• Like 1

Does it receive group texts consistently? because my husband's phone receives texts. He doesn't always receive group texts -- texts sent to multiple people at once. I'm not sure what is different between the ones he gets and the one he doesn't

I know he doesn't get texts that have a picture in them. My sister sent both of us a text at Christmas with the picture of the receipt for his Christmas gift. He didn't get it. I did.

I just checked my email to see what her response was. Her words were "okay, good to know". How would you take that?

I agree she sounded like she was willing to accommodate you.  She should have been more direct if she was not willing or possibly not able to keep up with that request.  

Now you know!

So if I were to respond to her, I would say, "If it wasn't a team option to be updated by email, then you should have let me know that when I informed you I was no longer on Facebook.  I am very upset for my son that he missed these meetings (whatever).  It seems that in the future I need to check Facebook in order to ensure I am updated, is that correct?"

• Like 2

We don't use a cell phone (we do keep one for travelling and emergencies).

We do use email.  We don't use social media.

However, if there were an activity I really really wanted the kids to do, and they only communicated through facebook, I'd just get a fake facebook account (against the rules!) and only use it to follow that group or check their page or however it works.

I do have a shutterfly account that I got to follow a local homeschool group that organizes/communicates through shutterfly.

I think the most neutral method of communication is probably email - I would wager that more people have email than any other single communication method, and of course your email can be provided by any number of different businesses or groups  and any number of different hardware methods (in case someone has a philosophical or functional objection to facebook or shutterfly or cell phones or whatever).

But I don't know that an optional group is obligated to communicate in the most neutral or easily accessible way.

Edited by eternalsummer

This is what I interpreted as the leader agreeing.

It's certainly true that this is rather ambiguous. This is the point where the leader should have said....I am not sure I can send out separate emails for you.

Although since this communication itself happened through emails so.......I dunno.

The leader has unequivocally said it’s a problem for her to remember to send separate communications to the OP. There’s no indication that she made any promises or that she acted in bad faith, so I don’t know why it even matters how we interpret what she originally said. Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 4

The leader's response "Good to know" spelled out clearly she's not an e-mail communicator.  Good to know might just mean - meh, ok, I'll know not to tag you on facebook anymore or expect to see you there.  Not - I would love to jump through an additional hoop to keep you informed and up to date.  Since you haven't seen e-mails the writing has been on the wall for 2 months.   

I agree with your post except this part.  Good to know does not spell out I won't be emailing you or we only use facebook.  The leader was not clear.  Good to know sounds like an okay to me.  The leader should have been more clear.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 2

I think groups like this should not only communicate through FB.  I'm sorry, it is not some neutral communications entity that everyone has.  I appreciate that the leaders are volunteers, but it is not the case that that means they can just pick their favourite platform and insist everyone who wants a kid in 4-H join it.  

It is not hard to do a group email for people you contact regularly, and I'd consider that more basic than a FB page for a group.  Email is a 

Actually, it IS harder to use email for this stuff. First, i have to find a way to get everyone's email address, and put them into a group, or remember to type everyone in each time. I don't even know if I know how to create an email group, lol! With Facebook people add themselves, I don't have to see out their information. Or keep a spreadsheet or whatever. 

Also, with email it is JUST email. With Facebook I have events (like a calendar), polls, files (perfect to keep the group rules, etc) and more. Email alone doesn't do all that.

• Like 10

Mine has issues with group texts. While I always receive them, I usually can’t open or read them.

I would rather be on Facebook than group texts.  I would rather be on anything than group texts.  Group texts and constant people responding and my phone beeping bug the hell out of me!  There needs to be an option to unsubscribe from replies.  :glare:

• Like 10

I have a smart phone but it is through Tracphone so group texts don't go straight through, I have to see them and turn on data to get them to go through it is a PITA but I recently started a group and they communicate via group text so I'm trying to do my part and keep an eye out on my phone so I'm not the one causing everyone more work.

Um, no, not if it is meant to be a public organization, they don't.  

I run all the children's education stuff for my church.  And I don't get to say "oh, parents, if you want our information you all have to join this social media platform, X.  By the way, they make their money by information mining, manipulating users through information controls, advertising, and designing the most addictive platform they can."

I suppose if was actually my own group, I could insist, but it wouldn't be ethical, and I wouldn't expect people to be defending my position.

ETA  - when group emails are ineffective it is usually because people don't bother to read them.  That really is their own problem.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 7

I would rather be on Facebook than group texts. I would rather be on anything than group texts. Group texts and constant people responding and my phone beeping bug the hell out of me! There needs to be an option to unsubscribe from replies. :glare:

Fortunately, I don’t belong to any groups that use group texts. But our next door neighbor is very social and uses them for invites, to apologize when an outside party goes late or gets loud, to give a heads up about loud yard or house work, etc.

• Like 1