Menu

Music Portfolio

Pronghorn

I have a junior in high school who is a musician and composer. She'll probably be applying next year to music composition programs. I am trying to help her put together a portfolio to take with her when she visits colleges. It would contain a resume of her music work, along with printouts of all her compositions. I would also like to include programs of some of her more important choral performances, e.g. the ones in Carnegie Hall. I tried putting the programs in sheet protectors, but they are too flimsy for the weight of the programs. What have other people done to display performance programs? Please give me details!

We did not include programs.  DS's music resume listed his most important performances.  Have you checked the requirements for the programs your dd is applying to?  Most seem to list: 10 minute performance (often a specific repertoire), music resume, recommendation.  However, ds did not do any composition, so can't help you there. Most of the places's ds applied to wanted only electronic submissions. 

If you want a paper submissions, we have "clearfiles" here that you can slide paper into. Some have higher quality plastic sleeves than others, so you need to compare. You can also open the programs, so they are half as thick and slide them into the sleeves.

https://www.officemax.co.nz/Office-Products/Filing-Storage/Display-Books/Clear-File-A3-Refillable-Display-Book-20-Pocket-Black-2800373

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

I doubt anyone would take the time to look through performance programs.  A simple resume would be more than enough; one that outlines her music education, awards, performances, repertoire, etc.  Since she is a composer, maybe also bring along a selection of her best material (but not ALL of her compositions).  College tours tend to be very superficial.  Instead, try to schedule a private lesson with the professor she is most likely to study under, and they will tell you exactly what to bring (or you should ask if they don't).  Most professors will do this ... it’s a great way for them to evaluate a potential student ... and it’s a great way for a student to evaluate the professor (some personalities just conflict each other).  

• Like 1

I doubt anyone would take the time to look through performance programs.  A simple resume would be more than enough; one that outlines her music education, awards, performances, repertoire, etc.  Since she is a composer, maybe also bring along a selection of her best material (but not ALL of her compositions).  College tours tend to be very superficial.  Instead, try to schedule a private lesson with the professor she is most likely to study under, and they will tell you exactly what to bring (or you should ask if they don't).  Most professors will do this ... it’s a great way for them to evaluate a potential student ... and it’s a great way for a student to evaluate the professor (some personalities just conflict each other).  

This makes sense, although I was thinking of asking for a meeting with someone from the music department, not just a general tour. That would be where a portfolio would be most useful. I'm thinking now she can just bring the resume and some compositions.

Even though they may not want to see them at this level, tell her to keep extra programs from everything she does in college in case she needs them to support a grad school application. I remember someone here telling me her dd needed to submit copies of her programs to Julliard when applying for grad school and that they weren't returned.