Menu

General 7th Grade Question

I have a just turned 13-year-old "7th" grader. He has been homeschooled all the way through and this year has been in Classical Conversations Challenge A program. But I am considering pulling him from the program for numerous reasons, family/financial issues. 

Now I feel like I don't know what programs I'd buy for him for the remainder of this school year. I recently got divorced and am starting nursing school in May and have 3 younger kids who I also homeschool. So I need easy open and go, not crazy expensive to give him a solid end of the year from Jan - May. 

We use and will stick with CLE math, I am looking for language arts, science, and history. 

Even though we have always homeschooled, I feel completely lost. The last 2 school years, we really fell behind after my husband left us and we had to go through all that mess. He is an average student, who lacks motivation, so we don't need anything overly complicated.

Thanks!!

What materials has he been using in CC? I'm not familiar with how it works. If possible I'd have him continue with those to finish out the year.

If not, a great and fairly easy to implement language arts program for middle school is Analytical Grammar combined with Beyond the Book Report. It covers grammar and lit and writing.

If you can't continue using the same materials for science and history, what time period was he on? I'd get him Apologia General Science by Jay Wile and either History of US (for US History) or K12 Human Odyssey (for world history).

He won't "finish" any of these with just half a year left, but they can all easily be stopped and picked up again next year.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Real Science 4 Kids Focus series has semester units so you could finish before the end of the school year.  Their text is very clear.  There are ten experiments, but the science is very good.  

I believe they use IEW in CC, correct?  You might consider finishing with them.  I also like CAP writing if you want more of the classical progym approach.  It's scripted and has a workbook.  It's very open and go and is also broken down by semester.  I'd include a grammar and spelling/vocab too.  CAP has grammar too, but I have not used it to know to recommend.  I know many like R&S, and it is thorough, but I personally find it visually unappealing and dull and can't bring myself to use it, although it is affordable.  You could also consider WTM's new grammar, although it relies on a teacher script.  Easy Grammar is supposed to be more open and go.  Is he a good speller?  Is he ready to move onto vocab?  You might consider Vocabulary from Classical Roots for an open and go program.  

For history, there a plethora of options.  Do you want something more simplified or literature based?  Can you just continue to use the CC materials you own?