Menu

I thought my severe dyslexic didn’t struggle with math...

Well, we’re hitting some MAJOR walls in Singapore 3. Multi digit multiplication— she can do it with manipulatives but then she thinks she’s figuring out short cuts and throws zeros all over the place... Where would you go from here? My first thought was to scrap it and play multiplication games with c rods, which we’ve done for the last 2 months. We came back to the book and bam. Wall again. I know she’s really discouraged... she always thought math was “so easy†which has been such a gift to her confidence because she is SEVERELY dyslexic and struggling to push through Barton 4 right now. Help?

Edited by Esse Quam Videri

Hope this is an encouragement, but my youngest had a horrible time with this. There's just too much going on at once, I think. Also, she didn't have her multiplication facts down cold to add to the mess.

My encouragement is this -- it was the only area she ever struggled in! :) 

• Like 1

This is likely the first time your daughter has encountered something in math that she can't do in her head and/or isn't intuitive.  And the sequential processing that the multiplication algorithm requires tends to be a weakness for dyslexics.  Let her use manipulatives and scribe for her.  Help her to slow down.  Move on to the next thing while continuing to practice one big multiplication problem per day. Over time, hand off the writing to her, first on a whiteboard and then on paper.  She will get it eventually.  

• Like 1

You might look at Ronit Bird materials.  Also look at lattice method for multiplication.  DD did not do well with multi-digit multiplication until we shifted to lattice method.  It took time for me to understand lattice but DD really did well with it once she understood it.  She still does.  Partial quotient division also seriously helped with division. 

• Like 1