Menu

Lewis structure method I found helpful

We are using the Zumdahl Introduction to Chemistry book, but one of my daughters was struggling with drawing Lewis structures. I found this method which wasn't mentioned in our text (nor was it mentioned in many other videos). It takes away some of the trial and error that we were using.  

Posting in case it helps someone else, too.

Kendall 

Thought you might want to know :) that the method in the video won't work for molecules containing atoms that don't obey the octet rule or where you need to deal with formal charges.  Just in case you had to draw a Lewis structure for SF6 or for PO4-3 and couldn't figure out why the video method didn't work.  If you're only having to deal with simple molecules, then the video method is alright. :)

• Like 1

After thinking about this...

I wanted to apologize if I overstepped in responding here, Kendall. :)  I didn't mean to disparage your post and your sharing of the video - I only wanted to try to prevent any future frustration for you or your students or for any others using the video method.

If I did offend, please accept my apology.

I am not getting notifications for some reason, so I am just seeing this. I'm not offended at all!  I always want to know such information. When I posted, we hadn't gotten to the section that talks about exceptions to the octet rule. I think our text isn't really having the students figure out many Lewis structures for exceptions. I don't know how important that is... but we are going to learn the ones the book showed. 

• Like 1

I am not getting notifications for some reason, so I am just seeing this. I'm not offended at all!  I always want to know such information. When I posted, we hadn't gotten to the section that talks about exceptions to the octet rule. I think our text isn't really having the students figure out many Lewis structures for exceptions. I don't know how important that is... but we are going to learn the ones the book showed. 

That's good. :)  I was thinking afterwards, "Kendall posted something helpful and then I kind of deflated it.  That wasn't very nice of me."

If you need to go past the simple ones and you'd like a better method of figuring them out, feel free to send me a PM and I can give you some guidance. :)