#101 mama25angels

mama25angels

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4471 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

WIN:

Thursday was grocery shopping day and I got my groceries for the lowest prices I can get them. Basically, if I walk away with $260 spent in groceries (I go every other week and my groceries include things like paper goods and laundry det.), then I'm happy. I never manage to spend less than that.

SORT OF FAIL:

Friday my son got a shot at the doctor's office and he really freaks out about shots. He's 12, but when he has to get a shot he turns completely pale and starts sweating (a lot), will shake, and tears spring to his eyes. He's the sort of person who gets woozy at the sight of blood. So, I got him a treat at McDs after the shot. I probably should have taken him home and given him a cookie, but I dunno. I feel sorry for the kid.

Umm, I say McDonald's after a shot is well deserved and a huge Win! I'm much older than your Ds and still react the same way to shots.
  • Garga likes this

#102 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19332 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

Spent $117 on groceries.

#103 ManagerMom

ManagerMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2525 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

1/8/18    $10 book on Amazon

1/9/18    $0

1/10/18  $31 Petsmart

1/11/18  $0

1/12/18  $0

1/13/18  $0

total spent $41 in January

I'm enjoying using up our food and making myself wait on purchases that I don't need. 

Been decluttering a bit and will hit that hard next week when dh is out of town.  He hates to get rid of things.

*only tracking my unnecessary spending

#104 Baseball mom

Baseball mom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2218 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

Garga - not a fail. Ds deserved a treat.

Day 13 -- $0

Went to a party. We ate good there and then were sent home with a big veggie tray and a little bit of sliced cheese, sliced meat & some rolls.
Supper if anyone gets hungry!
  • beckyjo and myblessings4 like this

#105 BarbecueMom

BarbecueMom

Bad Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3547 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

Day 13... a haiku

Needed two items

So I went into Target

A hundred bucks gone

I did pick up several things on clearance to put back as birthday/Christmas gifts, a new purse that is bigger and the straps aren't threatening to fall off (also on clearance), and a few odds and ends of consumable items that we needed or were cheaper than the grocery store with coupons.

And $200 for baseball and t-ball registrations.  We save $10/kid by signing up in January, plus I get the concession shift that I want, cleaning and stocking before the season.

DH will have to get gas tomorrow, but other than that it'll be no-spend.

• Annie G, myblessings4 and OneStepAtATime like this

#106 hjffkj

hjffkj

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6587 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

$0 for the last few days. I'm proud of myself about a few things. Every ounce of my being wanted to just get takeout because of all the crazy recently. But that passed and I made a delicious chili in the instant pot that cooked while I picked up my free phone from my dad.

To add to that dh wanted to go out and buy a new pair of tongs and a reusable kcup but instead I borrowed those from my parent's house as well. They're gone until March so they won't be missing them.
  • mama25angels, beckyjo and myblessings4 like this

#107 ManagerMom

ManagerMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2525 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

$0 for the last few days. I'm proud of myself about a few things. Every ounce of my being wanted to just get takeout because of all the crazy recently. But that passed and I made a delicious chili in the instant pot that cooked while I picked up my free phone from my dad.

I was the same the other night.  Instant Pot to the rescue.

• myblessings4 and hjffkj like this

#108 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7070 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

Finally found a shower curtain! And a lot cheaper than I had seen before. I went to Ross and got the curtain and a rug for less than the curtain at walmart or Amazon!
  • mama25angels, beckyjo and HomeAgain like this

#109 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7070 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

Garga, not a fail.

I'm out of likes, so consider yourselves liked.

#110 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33137 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:57 AM

Definitely not a fail Garga.

DS needs new sheets. Both of his are so old and threadbare they tore. Goodbye Star Wars. Lol. But still, heavy sigh, too and feeling a bit melancholy. Getting him sheets and socks tomorrow.

#111 HomeAgain

HomeAgain

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:26 AM

1/14 - projected spend: $35.  DS did fantastic on his test yesterday. Even dh was blown away by the difference in a week of concentrated balance and ab exercise has done for his skill. Unfortunately, when we went to remove his skates we realized he was skating on what appears to be pizza cutter blades.  The front and back had been sharpened so much it was down to the plastic.  Our first attempt was stopping by the used gear store downtown but only one pair in his size and they were worse off.   We found the same skates online for $55, or in the b&m store an hour away on sale for $25.  So while our original plan 3 months ago was to buy used, trade them in when they got small, buy used again...the plan changed somewhat.  Hopefully these will last until he moves up a size...if his feet ever grow. :laugh: But we're getting better at knowing what to look for and his instructors are amazing, helping us along.

• mama25angels, beckyjo and maize like this

#112 beckyjo

beckyjo

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1721 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:41 AM

Day 13... a haiku

Needed two items

So I went into Target

A hundred bucks gone

I did pick up several things on clearance to put back as birthday/Christmas gifts, a new purse that is bigger and the straps aren't threatening to fall off (also on clearance), and a few odds and ends of consumable items that we needed or were cheaper than the grocery store with coupons.

And $200 for baseball and t-ball registrations.  We save $10/kid by signing up in January, plus I get the concession shift that I want, cleaning and stocking before the season.

DH will have to get gas tomorrow, but other than that it'll be no-spend.

Love the Haiku and it's so true!

Definitely not a fail Garga.

DS needs new sheets. Both of his are so old and threadbare they tore. Goodbye Star Wars. Lol. But still, heavy sigh, too and feeling a bit melancholy. Getting him sheets and socks tomorrow.

I agree, not a fail, Garga; he totally deserved the treat!

OSAAT, I got really sad when we put up my oldest's American Girl dolls. She has stuff she wants to sell, and I've put her off because *I* can't let go of them...

• OneStepAtATime likes this

#113 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19332 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

Here's my win: I haven't ordered anything from the temptation threads on the chat board :D
  • mama25angels, beckyjo, myblessings4 and 4 others like this

#114 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33137 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

Here's my win: I haven't ordered anything from the temptation threads on the chat board :D

I admire your strength.  Me, I popped in briefly to post on one then avoided both like the plague.  LOL.  I will return to them at the end of January.

• maize likes this

#115 beckyjo

beckyjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1721 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

Day 8: Gas

Day 9: Gas

Day 10: $0

Day 11: household stuff, kitchenaid attachment

Day 12: Gas

Day 13: Groceries (more than I wanted, but lots of household stuff needed)

Day 14: I'm skipping church and staying in today. Windchill is -10 currently, and I have to go somewhere every day this week, so I'm taking the day off. Going to make some food up for the week ahead and the freezer. Should be a $0 day. 

I've been doing really well making sure I'm using up ingredients. Last night's dinner was a sausage-shrimp skillet which used up some last-day spinach and a soon-to-die bell pepper. A few days ago, I made a delicious Italian pasta dish in the Instant Pot using up the last bit of Italian sausage, even used up the last of the Texas Toast with garlic bread on the side. Tonight I'm using up the very last bit of spinach in lasagna rolls. 

#116 hjffkj

hjffkj

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6587 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

Placed a grocery order for $112 but I don't think that actually gets charged until I pick up tomorrow. I'm loving this grocery pick up option. Our grocery spending has consistently been down since starting 3 weeks ago. I'm using up everything we get just in time for the next order and we've been great about not eating out.
  • beckyjo, ILiveInFlipFlops and OneStepAtATime like this

#117 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33137 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

OSAAT, I got really sad when we put up my oldest's American Girl dolls. She has stuff she wants to sell, and I've put her off because *I* can't let go of them...

:grouphug:   I so totally get that.  :)

I remember when my best friend from childhood decided to have a garage sale.  She was trying to raise money to go to Africa.  She pretty much cleaned out everything from her childhood except for a very small set of items.  I kept going over to her house and buying more things, using all the fun money I had saved up.  Her mom finally made me leave, LOL.  I just kept seeing so many things we had loved playing with or sharing or wearing or reading together over the years that I wasn't ready to have them gone from our lives.  My family moved around a lot but I had been very fortunate in that my best friend had been my best friend twice.  Once as a upper elementary age and pre-teen kid and years later as an older teen/college student.  And she was leaving, going overseas for maybe years.  Childhood felt like it was truly ending with us both graduating college and moving on with our lives.  I needed to hold on to something concrete from our shared lives for a bit longer.  Bless my mom, she didn't gripe, she just got me a box to put stuff in that I couldn't actually use and the rest I incorporated into my own life.  I really appreciated her understanding.

What's funny is years later I pulled out that box of memorabilia and my friend was THRILLED that we could go through them all again, laughing and crying and remembering.  She has the box now.  :)

• beckyjo, ILiveInFlipFlops and maize like this

#118 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33137 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:05 AM

Placed a grocery order for $112 but I don't think that actually gets charged until I pick up tomorrow. I'm loving this grocery pick up option. Our grocery spending has consistently been down since starting 3 weeks ago. I'm using up everything we get just in time for the next order and we've been great about not eating out.

Yes!  I am spending less, being more intentional in my purchases, shopping bargains/discounts/coupons much more effectively, cutting out all the time I was wasting trying to find things (our grocery store is NOTORIOUS for shifting locations around on a regular basis) and I can time the pickups to coincide with other trips I am making so I don't waste time or gas.  I am so pleased with this.  

• ILiveInFlipFlops and hjffkj like this

#119 ILiveInFlipFlops

ILiveInFlipFlops

Hoarder of Blood Orange Mike's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6106 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

Day 13... a haiku

Needed two items

So I went into Target

A hundred bucks gone

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I love that it still works if you substitute "BJ's" or "Costco," which is where I usually have that problem. I've even tried not getting a cart, which usually just ends up with me carrying 5-6 gigantic items, all carefully balanced in an attempt to avoid disaster!

-----------------------

We went into the city to see a show on Friday, so I knew we'd have expenses there (tolls, parking, dinner). The one unexpected expense was that DD was very thirsty during the intermission, so DH took her out to get a bottle of water, and they came back with four bottles...at $5 a pop  :svengo: I wasn't even thirsty! That kind of thing is a rare event for us, though, so I'm going to have to try not to hyperventilate too much. Between that and the science center, I think that's our family entertainment budget for the next few months.

Yesterday DD had a friend come over, so I spent some money on groceries, but it was all fruit and stuff I made stretch really well, so not a problem. Today we're home all day, so no spending unless I need to go out for something to add to dinner (which I think I might, I have main ingredients but may need a few other components). 

9: Groceries (budgeted): $47

10: Disappointing pizza: $27

11: Class fee: $50 (budgeted); Science center entry and lunch: $90 (three admissions plus lunch)

12: Big $$ spent on family outing, mostly planned. I didn't even keep track.

13: Groceries: $34

ETA: I just looked at our budgets in Mint, and we're halfway through the month but nowhere near the halfway points on both our Grocery and Eating Out budgets. Those are our two biggest money wasters, so I'm doing a happy dance! Of course, this is probably because I've been running to the store every day to get the day's food rather than doing big "stock-up" trips, and I hate having to run to the store so much. I'm going to have to find some kind of balance there. Hmmm...

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops, 14 January 2018 - 10:24 AM.

#120 ILiveInFlipFlops

ILiveInFlipFlops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6106 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

I love that it's working so well for you! I'm envious too. I wish ours was cheaper (and from a store I didn't have a grudge against :lol:). Ours charges 10% of your order amount, up to $200. There are often good deals that could make it worth the fee, but rarely on items I buy, so it hasn't seemed worth it yet. And our BJ's advertises "order online, pick up in store," but their database is so badly updated that it's virtually useless to me.

#121 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33137 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

I love that it's working so well for you! I'm envious too. I wish ours was cheaper (and from a store I didn't have a grudge against :lol:). Ours charges 10% of your order amount, up to $200. There are often good deals that could make it worth the fee, but rarely on items I buy, so it hasn't seemed worth it yet. And our BJ's advertises "order online, pick up in store," but their database is so badly updated that it's virtually useless to me.

That's so disappointing! I wonder if they will ever connect the dots: high fees and/or poorly maintained database means people won't want to use the service. If a competitor came in with a low fee/well maintained data base they could probably do well as they built up a good reputation.
  • ILiveInFlipFlops likes this

#122 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7070 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

I know! I have stepped in gingerly...
  • beckyjo and OneStepAtATime like this

#123 hjffkj

hjffkj

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6587 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

Oh that sounds annoying. I actually don't shop at Walmart because going inside the store causes me anxiety but grocery shopping was getting to be my least favorite chore so I needed a solution. I tried Amazon Fresh first and the meat was too expensive plus searching for items took too long so it wasn't worth the fee. Then I tried ShopRite's but when I used their app and my first search of dried beans came up with nothing I decided it was useless. Next option was Walmart. It is free and their search function is amazingly easy to use. So, although I won't go I to the store I will happily use this service. I've never been a fan of Walmart but they have helped with a critical issue in my house so I have to give them that much.

#124 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19332 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

Made an unplanned Amazon purchase because camelcamelcamel notified me that an item I had on watch had dropped to my desired price.

It was a tool I had been wanting for awhile and waiting for a good deal on.

Edited by maize, 14 January 2018 - 03:25 PM.

#125 ILiveInFlipFlops

ILiveInFlipFlops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6106 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:11 PM

Oh that sounds annoying. I actually don't shop at Walmart because going inside the store causes me anxiety but grocery shopping was getting to be my least favorite chore so I needed a solution. I tried Amazon Fresh first and the meat was too expensive plus searching for items took too long so it wasn't worth the fee. Then I tried ShopRite's but when I used their app and my first search of dried beans came up with nothing I decided it was useless. Next option was Walmart. It is free and their search function is amazingly easy to use. So, although I won't go I to the store I will happily use this service. I've never been a fan of Walmart but they have helped with a critical issue in my house so I have to give them that much.

Argh! Shoprite is the store I have the grudge against, but they're the closest with Shop from Home. Or, at least, I thought they were. This thread got me fired up to check again to see if I could make it worth the fee, and now our local SR no longer even does Shop from Home for pickup! I'm really surprised--it's a large and busy SR. 

Back to the drawing board, I guess. I'll think about Walmart, but our local one is just miserably awful, with a horrible selection and usually half-empty shelves, so I don't know if that will help me at all. We tried Amazon Fresh and it was not a good experience AT ALL. I wonder if Peapod still exists?

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops, 14 January 2018 - 02:12 PM.

#126 mama25angels

mama25angels

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4471 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

Day 8: Gas

Day 9: Gas

Day 10: $0

Day 11: household stuff, kitchenaid attachment

Day 12: Gas

Day 13: Groceries (more than I wanted, but lots of household stuff needed)

Day 14: I'm skipping church and staying in today. Windchill is -10 currently, and I have to go somewhere every day this week, so I'm taking the day off. Going to make some food up for the week ahead and the freezer. Should be a $0 day.

I've been doing really well making sure I'm using up ingredients. Last night's dinner was a sausage-shrimp skillet which used up some last-day spinach and a soon-to-die bell pepper. A few days ago, I made a delicious Italian pasta dish in the Instant Pot using up the last bit of Italian sausage, even used up the last of the Texas Toast with garlic bread on the side. Tonight I'm using up the very last bit of spinach in lasagna rolls.

Please post the Italian dinner recipe!

#127 beckyjo

beckyjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1721 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

Please post the Italian dinner recipe!

Here it is: http://www.pressures...with-penne.html

I just nuked my leftover meat and added it in the end. I also was out of chicken stock, so I used water and plain old canned tomatoes. It was really good, much better than the boring spaghetti with

meat sauce I had been thinking about. 

#128 Annie G

Annie G

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8292 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

Back from my visit with my dad. 

In the past five days I spent:

$8 at Starbucks for a tea and slice of cake

$25 for groceries for family dinner at Dad's. Not bad for 8 people, including dessert. 

$5.50 for a sandwich at Publix to eat on the flight home. 

Today I bought groceries for the week. Came in well under budget even though dh was with me. 

#129 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7070 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

I started the new thread!!

#130 ManagerMom

ManagerMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2525 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:42 PM

1/8/18    $10 book on Amazon

1/9/18    $0

1/10/18  $31 Petsmart

1/11/18  $0

1/12/18  $0

1/13/18  $0

1/14/18  $0

total spent $41 in January

*only tracking my unnecessary spending

#131 hjffkj

hjffkj

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6587 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

Argh! Shoprite is the store I have the grudge against, but they're the closest with Shop from Home. Or, at least, I thought they were. This thread got me fired up to check again to see if I could make it worth the fee, and now our local SR no longer even does Shop from Home for pickup! I'm really surprised--it's a large and busy SR.

Back to the drawing board, I guess. I'll think about Walmart, but our local one is just miserably awful, with a horrible selection and usually half-empty shelves, so I don't know if that will help me at all. We tried Amazon Fresh and it was not a good experience AT ALL. I wonder if Peapod still exists?

It has to be a Super Walmart, so I don’t even go to the closest Walmart to me. The 2 super Walmarts close enough are each 20 to 30 minutes away depending on traffic. I actually cross state lines and have to pay sales tax(I live in a no sales tax state) but it is entirely worth it. Hope you find a solution