What's with the ads?

#1 Gil

Gil

Supreme PooBah of Learning at G.E.A.R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3218 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

I feel self conscious because there really isn't much to update, but because a few people have asked and for the sake of posterity I'm sharing an update on The Boys. Their education continues to be based in and directed from home even though The Boys are in their 2nd year at a brick and mortar K-5 charter school during the day. Buddy (11) and Pal (10) are in the 5th and 4th grade at their day school.

The BM School

Is a fairly good school actually. I could find things to complain about, since it's not perfect, but it's not the sort of place where The Boys lose ground in Reading or ELA just by being there either. Plus, the CS does provide opportunities in socialization, writing instruction and scholastic contests and teams that I can't provide in the HS setting so it's not the worst.

The Boys perform well academically and enjoy school well enough. They were both selected to be in the Advanced Math (4/5) class their second year, so though they are in separate grades, they have Advanced Math and French-Elective together each day, which is cool.

The Gil School

I continue to teach them mathematics and coach them in academics as a duo rather than individually. Because the GIL-school year starts in January, they are--to me--in the same grade. (whatever that means)

The scope of our home studies is still stream-lined and focuses on the things that we can do best, and that I (The Parent) feel are the most valuable namely: Spanish and Mathematics. When there is time for something else, we do IT related skills.

Spanish: We are working our butts off towards being fully conversant and able to function in the language as a communication tool by the time that they reach high-school. Time will tell if we'll get there, but we're cautiously optimistic.  Their recreational media, such as DVDs, video games, music, books, and even some kids websites, are in Spanish. I mean, video games count as school, so you know...they're not exactly complaining. We opened ourselves up to outsourcing Spanish last year and it's been amazing for their linguistic abilities. I put them in conversational situations with natives as much as possible to put the pressure on them to speak.

They discuss their recreational media in Spanish as much as possible. We have a meal in Spanglish (and some times just Spanish). It's been a few years of constant work and effort but they're able to speak and converse in Spanish. Their grammar is not perfect, their vocabulary fails them from time to time, but we're slowly creeping towards competency.

Math: Thanks to the early acceleration, we enjoy the luxury of having enough time to continue to do math in the way we know works for us, which is nice.

As far as their education is concerned, math is where I pour the majority of my energy and time. After a long-stint of stressing and fiddling with various resources looking for The One Math Book, I realized that I was wasting time and energy on dead-ends and so did what I did in the beginning: Dedicated myself to using the collection of perfectly good, already-owned stuff on my shelves, and designing them a math-course of our own making, to suit our needs.

So, Gil and The Boys blaze their own math path once again. It's shaping up to be one of the best decisions I made concerning The Boys education. I feel better about the decision and the longevity in this path each week that passes. It feels like it did in the beginning when we'd just...do itTM

Information Technology: I like to expose The Boys to as much as I can of the IT field and I take the hard line with them that the computer is a tool, not a toy. We've dabbled a good deal in hardware, and their typing is pretty good (though probably declined from where it WAS), but their computer literate in using it to create, edit, organize and otherwise manage files of all sorts.

They can create simple static websites and assemble a desktop computer from parts and install the OS. We've repaired an android tablet as a project and we'll probably segue more into small device hardware. For I would also like to get them started with the basics of network administrator stuff and develop that over the next year or two.

I plan to teach them programming too, but we haven't been able to break out of the "dabbling in programming" phase yet. They've dabbled in programming, but it hasn't gone anywhere.

Other: At GEAR, I have always focused on teaching them a few skills/subjects exceptionally well, rather than many subjects. So that's what we do whether we're home schooling or after schooling. 3Rs and 1 or 2 other things. The Boys continue to play youth sports through the city. I still keep them in reading-material via the library--I'mjust not super formal about them. Since they read non-fiction in Social Studies and Science each week for BM school, I will often let them get Gil-credit too if they've read enough to speak on the topic coherently.

• kiana, SusanC, dmmetler and 13 others like this

#2 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19435 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

Thank you so much for the update Gil! It is good to hear that your boys are doing well in life and progressing in their education. You're a great example of a dedicated parent making the most of the resources available to you.

How about you own life? What is hard, what is good?
  • OneStepAtATime and Gil like this

#3 rebbyribs

rebbyribs

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:14 AM

I feel self conscious because there really isn't much to update, but because a few people have asked and for the sake of posterity I'm sharing an update on The Boys. Their education continues to be based in and directed from home even though The Boys are in their 2nd year at a brick and mortar K-5 charter school during the day. Buddy (11) and Pal (10) are in the 5th and 4th grade at their day school.

The BM School

Is a fairly good school actually. I could find things to complain about, since it's not perfect, but it's not the sort of place where The Boys lose ground in Reading or ELA just by being there either. Plus, the CS does provide opportunities in socialization, writing instruction and scholastic contests and teams that I can't provide in the HS setting so it's not the worst.

The Boys perform well academically and enjoy school well enough. They were both selected to be in the Advanced Math (4/5) class their second year, so though they are in separate grades, they have Advanced Math and French-Elective together each day, which is cool.

The Gil School

I continue to teach them mathematics and coach them in academics as a duo rather than individually. Because the GIL-school year starts in January, they are--to me--in the same grade. (whatever that means)

The scope of our home studies is still stream-lined and focuses on the things that we can do best, and that I (The Parent) feel are the most valuable namely: Spanish and Mathematics. When there is time for something else, we do IT related skills.

Spanish: We are working our butts off towards being fully conversant and able to function in the language as a communication tool by the time that they reach high-school. Time will tell if we'll get there, but we're cautiously optimistic. Their recreational media, such as DVDs, video games, music, books, and even some kids websites, are in Spanish. I mean, video games count as school, so you know...they're not exactly complaining. We opened ourselves up to outsourcing Spanish last year and it's been amazing for their linguistic abilities. I put them in conversational situations with natives as much as possible to put the pressure on them to speak.

They discuss their recreational media in Spanish as much as possible. We have a meal in Spanglish (and some times just Spanish). It's been a few years of constant work and effort but they're able to speak and converse in Spanish. Their grammar is not perfect, their vocabulary fails them from time to time, but we're slowly creeping towards competency.

Math: Thanks to the early acceleration, we enjoy the luxury of having enough time to continue to do math in the way we know works for us, which is nice.

As far as their education is concerned, math is where I pour the majority of my energy and time. After a long-stint of stressing and fiddling with various resources looking for The One Math Book, I realized that I was wasting time and energy on dead-ends and so did what I did in the beginning: Dedicated myself to using the collection of perfectly good, already-owned stuff on my shelves, and designing them a math-course of our own making, to suit our needs.

So, Gil and The Boys blaze their own math path once again. It's shaping up to be one of the best decisions I made concerning The Boys education. I feel better about the decision and the longevity in this path each week that passes. It feels like it did in the beginning when we'd just...do itTM

Information Technology: I like to expose The Boys to as much as I can of the IT field and I take the hard line with them that the computer is a tool, not a toy. We've dabbled a good deal in hardware, and their typing is pretty good (though probably declined from where it WAS), but their computer literate in using it to create, edit, organize and otherwise manage files of all sorts.

They can create simple static websites and assemble a desktop computer from parts and install the OS. We've repaired an android tablet as a project and we'll probably segue more into small device hardware. For I would also like to get them started with the basics of network administrator stuff and develop that over the next year or two.

I plan to teach them programming too, but we haven't been able to break out of the "dabbling in programming" phase yet. They've dabbled in programming, but it hasn't gone anywhere.

Other: At GEAR, I have always focused on teaching them a few skills/subjects exceptionally well, rather than many subjects. So that's what we do whether we're home schooling or after schooling. 3Rs and 1 or 2 other things. The Boys continue to play youth sports through the city. I still keep them in reading-material via the library--I'mjust not super formal about them. Since they read non-fiction in Social Studies and Science each week for BM school, I will often let them get Gil-credit too if they've read enough to speak on the topic coherently.
Nice to hear from you again. What is your level of proficiency with Spanish? What was it when you started teaching your boys?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#4 Runningmom80

Runningmom80

Hugger of Books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4769 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

Wonderful!
  • Gil likes this

#5 Heigh Ho

Heigh Ho

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12124 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:06 PM

Nice to hear the charter is working out -- love that there is access to scholastic contests and teams.  

It won't be long before they will be going off to more specialized camps, I'm sure.

I hope you are doing well.

• Gil likes this

#6 Gil

Gil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3218 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

Nice to hear from you again.

What is your level of proficiency with Spanish?
I'm non-native, but about 75-85% communicative for day to day needs. I can converse in real time with Native speakers and tell when I'm missing something/don't know some words being used around me. However, I don't do as well in group-conversations (think the setting in parties).

I'm strongest in 1-on-1, or small group interactions. I don't write Spanish and I read like a remedial 2nd grader I'm sure.  There have been a few times when I have no idea what someone is talking about and they have to clarify, explain or tell me not to worry about it and change the topic/vocabulary.

What was it when you started teaching your boys?
Very low/regressed to almost nothing after having learned it and spoken it fairly well as a boy.

• maize and rebbyribs like this

#7 lewelma

lewelma

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6073 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:42 PM

So glad you posted, Gil.  I've been wondering where you have been.  Sounds like you have things well in hand.  Good for you!

Ruth in NZ

• Gil likes this

#8 kiwik

kiwik

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5590 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:56 AM

Hi. I was wondering too. Glad you have found an OK solution. How is your work/school learning.
  • Gil likes this

#9 SusanC

SusanC

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3275 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

Nice to hear the update, Gil!
  • Gil likes this

#10 mathnerd

mathnerd

Slacker Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2342 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

Gil, glad to hear that things are working out for your kids and that you feel good about the decision :thumbup:  Keep us posted on the happenings at Gil School from time to time!

• Gil likes this

#11 Gil

Gil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3218 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:14 PM

Thank you so much for the update Gil! It is good to hear that your boys are doing well in life and progressing in their education. You're a great example of a dedicated parent making the most of the resources available to you.
:blush: Aaaw, thanks. Not sure I deserve that, but what the heck, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the occasional bit of praise,

How about your own life? What is hard, what is good?

Hi. I was wondering too. Glad you have found an OK solution. How is your work/school learning.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, the Charter serves it's purpose, more or less. I don't have to look far for something to gripe about at the CS, but I'm not prepared to home school FT right now, so why bother, you know?

Me personally, I'm doing fairly well, actually. I've got a full time, "professional" job, so am not piecing together lots of PT work and don't foresee myself having to go back to that way of life. yay. The single job leaves me with tons more mental and emotional energy to deal with my pair of goofy and hyper-active ruffians without losing my mind (though they do try their best to make me nuts at times).

I have time and space to do more of my own thing now that The Boys are big enough that they aren't likely to go in the other room and die if not being watched properly the way toddlers sometimes do and They are old enough to be (kinda) mindful of safety when doing reckless childhood stunts which is a nice change of pace from a few years ago, which means they sometimes make fairly reasoned decisions. Some times....

Still, big kids are easier for me than little kids. Parentally, I think I'm in a sweet spot.

It feels like a lot of little things are coming together that makes life comfortable and engaging right now. We've got some holes here and there, but not enough to ruin everything else.

• slackermom, mathnerd and Black-eyed Suzan like this

#12 Pegs

Pegs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1086 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:26 AM

Sounds like things are going really well for you all. :)