Menu

online courses?

seema

We are looking for any online 8th grade language arts and writing courses, where minimal parent support is needed. Hoping where they have short teaching videos followed by practise tests, and way to track progress.

Also wanting to sign up for an online writing program, where teachers can teach and give feedback on paragraph/essay writing, any Suggestions? Thanks.

You might look into Acellus for the short teaching video set up but if you need a lot of involvement with a teacher and limited involvement of parents most on-line classes probably won't be what you need.   You MIGHT look into Time For Writing/Time for Learning but it is NOT set up for kids with learning issues.  It can still work but it didn't work for us.  I do have some writing classes I could recommend but most on-line classes only meet once a week, sometimes twice.  The rest of the time the student is expected to be able to do lessons/reading/projects on their own, keeping track of due dates, keeping up with feedback from the teacher, etc.  If I recall correctly your daughter has a lot of learning challenges.  I'm not sure expecting a ton of independence with an on-line course is realistic unless the situation has drastically changed in the past year.  Has she taken on-line courses before?  If so, did she do well?

• Like 1

You might look into Acellus for the short teaching video set up but if you need a lot of involvement with a teacher and limited involvement of parents most on-line classes probably won't be what you need. You MIGHT look into Time For Writing/Time for Learning but it is NOT set up for kids with learning issues. It can still work but it didn't work for us. I do have some writing classes I could recommend but most on-line classes only meet once a week, sometimes twice. The rest of the time the student is expected to be able to do lessons/reading/projects on their own, keeping track of due dates, keeping up with feedback from the teacher, etc. If I recall correctly your daughter has a lot of learning challenges. I'm not sure expecting a ton of independence with an on-line course is realistic unless the situation has drastically changed in the past year. Has she taken on-line courses before? If so, did she do well?

No she has not taken any online courses, except she does do CTC math and has done well with it.

So I was looking for something similar for language arts and writing.

You might look into Acellus for the short teaching video set up but if you need a lot of involvement with a teacher and limited involvement of parents most on-line classes probably won't be what you need. You MIGHT look into Time For Writing/Time for Learning but it is NOT set up for kids with learning issues. It can still work but it didn't work for us. I do have some writing classes I could recommend but most on-line classes only meet once a week, sometimes twice. The rest of the time the student is expected to be able to do lessons/reading/projects on their own, keeping track of due dates, keeping up with feedback from the teacher, etc. If I recall correctly your daughter has a lot of learning challenges. I'm not sure expecting a ton of independence with an on-line course is realistic unless the situation has drastically changed in the past year. Has she taken on-line courses before? If so, did she do well?

No she has not taken any online courses, except she does do CTC math and has done well with it.

So I was looking for something similar for language arts and writing.

Makes sense.  Unfortunately I haven't found anything exactly like CTC for language arts, especially at the 8th grade level.  

For the writing part, maybe Bravewriter classes would work for you.  My ds took their KW Basic in around 4th grade, and KW Intermediate the summer between 7th and 8th.  Basic took some help from me, but by Intermediate he could handle it all direct with the teacher.  No videos etc. though.

Halcyon's son did another program that had teacher feedback for writing, but since he is a super advanced type student that might not work for a child with more difficulty.