Menu

Need Prealgebra Help

My dd (12 yo grade 7) is using TabletClass prealgebra... I'm not sure it is a great fit for us. DD is saying she understands, is saying she is getting the practice problems mostly correct and then when I grade the unit test she is scoring 20-40%. ugh. I am not great at math, but am ok...can usually help by just scanning the lesson for a reminder. Hence the issue, with only videos and no textbook, I feel like my hands are tied. 

We are a MM family and DD completed grades 1-6 of it. I had to hold her hand a bit through it but in the end I would call it successful. I know MM goes on sale this week at the HSBC and I am tempted to pick up MM7 and just call it a day. But then I will be right back in the same spot when we finish,

Is there a great math program that uses a combination of teacher taught videos and a textbook for when they get stuck? If not for prealgebra, then what about for Algebra 1 and up? 

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I want math to be something I am around to help when needed,  but would like the primary teaching to be done mostly independently....

Is there a great math program that uses a combination of teacher taught videos and a textbook for when they get stuck? If not for prealgebra, then what about for Algebra 1 and up? 

Math-U-See does this. The full lesson (and additional examples, with the solutions worked out) are included in the TM, plus the video teaches the lesson.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

She says she gets them correct? Is she grading them or are you? Or is she supposed to do them and then watch the videos? 

Are you sure she's not just following along through the solutions going "yeah, yeah, I understand, I get it"? Because there is a huge difference between understanding when you're watching someone else do problems or when someone is prompting you, and understanding enough to do it on your own. A lot of my college students still don't get this, so it's absolutely normal and understandable for a pre-teen to have that issue. 

Derek Owens is great. They have a physical workbook to take notes in as they watch the videos, and practice problems and graded homework and tests are all on paper.

I think one of the problems with video schooling is that there is no interactive component. It is probably late for this year, but maybe an in person or online class for next year would suit learning needs better if you don’t want to teach it. And it might even be subject specific; one of my children has done well with Derek Owens for math, while still finding that online courses for other subjects aren’t the best fit,