Menu

US Military History class count as US History class?

The Potter School is offering a US Military History class. It of course appeals to my son.  Do you think this could count as the traditional US History class - or must I add something to it and then what to add? The class is using a book called, "For the Common Defense: A Military History of the United States from 1607-2012."    Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Shelley in MA

Edited by shelleysboys
  • Like 1

Agreeing with EKS. That would make a great *secondary* Social Studies credit or Academic Elective credit. :)

You'll want to do things like World History and/or Geography, (traditional) American History, Government & Economics for your *primary* Social Studies credit -- those are credits that are required by your state's homeschool high school regulations (if any), or are the required credits by colleges for admission**.

** = many colleges specifically list 1 credit of American History as part of the required admission credits for Social Studies, and my guess is that they expect that credit to be roughly similar to what is covered in the typical high school textbook or program -- i.e., coverage of key people and events of the span of the country's history, from Colonial times, through Revolutionary War and Independence, and then on into the 20th century -- up through at least WW2, and often through the end of the 20th century. 

Sounds like a fun class -- enjoy! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1