Menu

Anxiety in teen - finally dealing with it

Slow release will cause a quicker accumulation of Niacin in the liver. But taking excessive amounts of quick release, will just take longer to reach toxic levels in the liver.

Here's a link to an article that explains the process:

https://www.ebmconsult.com/articles/niacin-mechanism-liver-hepatotoxicity-flushing

I'm looking at that chart, and it kinda looks like if you take the SR/no flush you're frying your liver and if you take the regular you're fine.

PeterPan,

Methylation is part of the gene expression process, and particularly Transcription.

It has a regulatory role, in the reading and expression of DNA.

Where it can inhibit or silence a reading, and prevent its expression.

Disorders of it, can cause Hypo-Methylation.  Which is an under-regulation, and allows mis-readings to be expressed.

While with Hyper-Methylation. Their is over-regulation, which prevents needed readings from being expressed.

Edited by geodob

"catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene" looks like another, related to methylation and anxiety etc. ????

I don't really see any reason that it would be impossible to be both low in niacin and also to be under-methylated.

Where both would need to be addressed.

Yes, ds has the COMT issues (looking at what got flagged in his genetic testing), but he does *not* have the defects for the MTHFR genes. 

Honestly some of it is really confusing to me and not stuff I've wrapped my brain around yet. There's just tons there I don't really understand. Like take the Rett syndrome genes. Is this something EVERYONE has, but you only have an issue if you're a certain presentation? Or is just having it an issue? So I don't even understand basic things like if it's bad to *have* the gene or if it's only bad to have certain presentations of the gene. I just don't understand it all.

So like when you look at some of this stuff like the MTHFR genes, then there are rs#s that are long, on and on, tons of them. My ds was presenting with 5 for COMT, lots of rs#, and again I don't know if it's having them that is abnormal or having a certain presentation (GG vs. AG, etc.) that is the issue. He had some hissues with MTHFD1, several with COMT, BHMT, and CBS genes. But I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm just trying to learn. 

It's pretty cool stuff though. Like this one, BHMT rs567754CT results in attention issues if stressed. Like, hello, that's our kids! Or at least that's my kid. It's why we literally put SO MUCH effort into keeping him calm and lowering stress, because upping his stress axes his ability to connect and be present and do work. So then we spend days lowering stress just so he can reconnect. And there's a gene for it. I was seeing it, but it's interesting to have a gene for it.

He had a CBS gene mutation that is connected with ammonia, and he used to smell like ammonia a lot as an infant. 

So yeah, it's been pretty interesting. But when you look at the Yasko methylation testing sample report, his testing is largely the inverse of the more typical undermethylator presentation.

Most of our methylated genes, come from our parents. 

With the multitude of genes that we have, their are many that aren't useful, and others that have a negative effect.

So that these need to be silenced, so that they are no longer read and put into action.

Which is what Methylation is.

Though sometimes, errors can occur. So that a gene is methylated when it shouldn't be.  Then the opposite, of not being methylated, when it should be.

But another problem, is that genes are methylated to suit the situation.  For example, if a previous generation experienced a prolonged famine?  Then some genes my have been methylated to help cope with this lack of food.

This will then be passed onto the next generation,  which will be helpful if the next generation also experiences famines.

But if the next generation no longer faces famines?  Then these methylated genes could create problems?

Though for greater part, the methylated genes that we inherit.  Are useful for further generations.

• Like 1