Menu

National Mythology Exam 2018

Pegs

Oh, darn.  It starts at 3rd grade.  I'll have a second grader.  

I actually feel a little better that it didn't start until 1989.   I felt jealous that I hadn't known about it as a kid.  I would have totally kicked butt since around 3rd grade I literally read every mythology book in every library and bookstore (including the university one) in my moderately large city.   

Oh, darn. It starts at 3rd grade. I'll have a second grader.

I actually feel a little better that it didn't start until 1989. I felt jealous that I hadn't known about it as a kid. I would have totally kicked butt since around 3rd grade I literally read every mythology book in every library and bookstore (including the university one) in my moderately large city.

I had a 2nd grader last year. He took the 3rd grade exam - just the 30 questions on Greek and Roman mythology. He really enjoyed it and will take the same section this year. He says he's determined to take it every year until he gets gold. Last year he missed a question and got silver.

I had a 2nd grader last year. He took the 3rd grade exam - just the 30 questions on Greek and Roman mythology. He really enjoyed it and will take the same section this year. He says he's determined to take it every year until he gets gold. Last year he missed a question and got silver.

How do you go about signing up a 2nd grader? My daughter wanted to take it this year. Do I just mark her as a 3rd grader this year, then again next year if she does it again?

How do you go about signing up a 2nd grader? My daughter wanted to take it this year. Do I just mark her as a 3rd grader this year, then again next year if she does it again?

I'm pretty sure I marked DS as a 2nd grader taking the 3rd grade exam. It wasn't a problem at all.

• Like 1

Oooooh, this is reason 137 why I love this site.  You guys are so helpful even about obscure things.  I'll talk to DD.  

I thought about signing her up.  But, then I imagined them looking at the records in a few years and saying to DD, "You took the 3rd-4th grade test three years.   You are a cheater.  We are going to add CHEATER onto your permanent record."

How hard is the 7th-9th grade exam? We had never heard of this, but this year my kids want to do it, they have basically read D’Aulaires, Percy Jackson, and the older one read some other mythology book I can’t recall the name of. How much studying/memorizing should they do? We picked up the Norse mythology book too, but they haven’t even read that yet.

I’ve had kindergartners take it, with the questions read aloud and someone scribing, and ACL was very friendly about it. Actually, some of my little bitty siblings did better than some of my older kids :). Except for K, grid their actual grade (K breaks the computer, we discovered-those kids ended up being 1st graders 2 years in a row). They are eligible for medals, but not counted in statistics. DD also started taking the National Classical Etymology exam in 5th grade, which, again, they had no trouble with, and took the first NLVE while also taking the ELE. They are very supportive of younger kids who want to try the tests.

The big thing for the middle school tests is to read exactly the versions and sections expected for that year’s test. There is enough variation between translations that it makes a difference, and the test only focuses on a small section each year, but wants very minute details. DD got a perfect score for all subtests year before last, and declared herself done. The Norse test is pretty tough.

Edited by Dmmetler2
  • Like 1

Thank you! So, can they take it anytime between Feb. 19th and March 2nd?

Yes.

In the proctor question, all of us just proctored our own kids. I ordered for our group, handed the tests out, got the sheets back when they were done, and mailed them back in. You get to keep the booklets with the questions. (My kids would get together and talk through their answers later, so they always knew how they had done well before the medals (or no medal) came in the mail.

Yes.

In the proctor question, all of us just proctored our own kids. I ordered for our group, handed the tests out, got the sheets back when they were done, and mailed them back in. You get to keep the booklets with the questions. (My kids would get together and talk through their answers later, so they always knew how they had done well before the medals (or no medal) came in the mail.

Thank you  :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot to sign up for this.  I am on the site now.  So, for 2 kids, it is one registration fee and 2 exams (so $25 total)?  Am I doing this correctly?

I'm not doing it this year, but that sounds about right. The registration fee is why I offer to get exams for other interested kids/families in our homeschool group. I add $1 per family (not per exam) to the exam fee (so, two kids would be however much per exam times two plus $1). It cuts our registration fee down a bit (usually 3-4 families decide to have kids take it). I handle mailing it back and don't charge any extra for handling all the paperwork or anything else.

ETA:  I got an email that the registration date was extended to the 20th for anyone who still wants to register.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 2

I'm not doing it this year, but that sounds about right. The registration fee is why I offer to get exams for other interested kids/families in our homeschool group. I add $1 per family (not per exam) to the exam fee (so, two kids would be however much per exam times two plus $1). It cuts our registration fee down a bit (usually 3-4 families decide to have kids take it). I handle mailing it back and don't charge any extra for handling all the paperwork or anything else.

ETA:  I got an email that the registration date was extended to the 20th for anyone who still wants to register.

Thank you!  I went ahead and did it last night, but good to know :-).

Are there different versions of the D'Aulaires book? It says we need to study pages 1-69. But when I was going through past threads here, many said they needed to be familiar with the minor gods as well and that the test covered the first half of the D'Aulaires book. Page 69 in our copy is the last page of the first section, the minor gods are in the second section and the two together make up about half of the book. I'm just wondering if it's different this year or if we need to include the second section in our studies. 

Are there different versions of the D'Aulaires book? It says we need to study pages 1-69. But when I was going through past threads here, many said they needed to be familiar with the minor gods as well and that the test covered the first half of the D'Aulaires book. Page 69 in our copy is the last page of the first section, the minor gods are in the second section and the two together make up about half of the book. I'm just wondering if it's different this year or if we need to include the second section in our studies. 

I'm looking at the bibliography for the exam and it says pages 1-69 and pages 186-187 (required to know both Greek and Roman names of deities).    Page 70-79 is also required for grades 5 and up.  Is this what you are looking for?  This is our first time taking it and are in 7th grade. 

• Like 1

I'm looking at the bibliography for the exam and it says pages 1-69 and pages 186-187 (required to know both Greek and Roman names of deities).    Page 70-79 is also required for grades 5 and up.  Is this what you are looking for?  This is our first time taking it and are in 7th grade. 

Maybe it is just the 5th and up then that need to know the minor gods. DD is 4th so she'll only be doing the base test. I was just concerned since past threads on the topic seemed to indicate the minor gods were part of the base exam for everyone. 

Oh! I've been so busy I've forgotten to register Robby. I guess I need to make registration a bigger priority next year. This is almost at the same time Robby submits his science fair project which is very time consuming. Last year I had him alternate his homeschool studies between electrical wiring of his generator (something I knew nothing about, huge learning curve for me) and then Greek mythology every other day for a few weeks leading up to the exam/sci fair. I should just remember that when I register for the science fair to also register for the exam.

Good luck to everyone's children testing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know how many on what section, but not which questions. Having said that, I’ve never had a kid over about age 7 who couldn’t accurately predict which they got wrong, and we always were able to create a complete key quite easily just by discussion within our group.

• Like 3

You know how many on what section, but not which questions. Having said that, I’ve never had a kid over about age 7 who couldn’t accurately predict which they got wrong, and we always were able to create a complete key quite easily just by discussion within our group.

Thanks!  I'm giving it to my twins tomorrow.  After the test, I'm going to have all 3 of us go over the answers.  One will do really well.  One not as much -- LOL.  

• Like 1

Any tips or flash cards to prepare a 5th grader (first time taking it)? Thanks :)

I hope your 5th grader enjoyed the test.  This was my son's second year.  I really enjoyed it this year.  Since it was a lot of review (only taking the first section for the second time), it was like having an old friend over for a visit.  My son mostly listens to us read aloud a section and then he narrates it.  A lot of the time he will them draw a picture related to the story and will write either the name of the god or a sentence like "Demeter wept for her daughter Persephone in Hades."  I also photocopied the two pages in the back that had the gods with their Roman and Greek names.  I cut the pictures out and pasted them on index cards to make flashcards.  Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We took the test for the first time this year.  9yo got a gold medal and 7yo got a silver medal.  Thanks to the community for exposing us to the exam.  I wouldn't have heard about it otherwise.  It's been a great experience for us.

• Like 4

Sacha got 28/30 on the main test for his age, but then decided to answer two of the other sections (for older kids). He got 10/10 on one section, but only 6/10 on the other section. So, 88% overall, but I like that he took a risk by answering the other sections. :)

• Like 5

I think DD is slightly disappointed that she didn’t medal. I, on the other hand, am impressed by a 24/30 from a kid who read D’Aulaire’s two years ago and decided to just skim it quickly once a few days before I gave her the test. ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jackie said:

I think DD is slightly disappointed that she didn’t medal. I, on the other hand, am impressed by a 24/30 from a kid who read D’Aulaire’s two years ago and decided to just skim it quickly once a few days before I gave her the test. ?

Right? I think Sacha was relying on Rick Riordan for all of his information. Poor C!

Both my DS12 (twins :-) did pretty well for their first time.  My "book smart" one rushed to study and take it and got a bronze (he missed 4).  His "school disliking" brother crammed at the last minute and got a silver (he missed 1).  The competition between them is on for next year -- LOL.  They had fun though and both want to take it again. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Both my DS12 (twins :-) did pretty well for their first time.  My "book smart" one rushed to study and take it and got a bronze (he missed 4).  His "school disliking" brother crammed at the last minute and got a silver (he missed 1).  The competition between them is on for next year -- LOL.  They had fun though and both want to take it again. 

So...I just got an email updating my silver medalist to a gold :-) .  There was a question in the Odyssey section (#52) that was marked wrong when it should have been right.  He is happy!  My other guy still got a bronze, but missed 3 instead of 4.

• Like 5

On 4/25/2018 at 4:49 PM, SeaConquest said:

Sacha got 28/30 on the main test for his age, but then decided to answer two of the other sections (for older kids). He got 10/10 on one section, but only 6/10 on the other section. So, 88% overall, but I like that he took a risk by answering the other sections. :)

We had the same experience at my house. My daughter earned a silver medal on her three sections.  My third grader wanted to do all three sections also. He got a 29/30 on the main test, 10/10 on the next section (ancient beginnings?) but then only 5/10 on Norse, so had an 88% overall.  I told him the same thing - I was impressed that he pushed himself to do all three. I think he was still a little disappointed, but motivated for next year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bookwoman said:

We had the same experience at my house. My daughter earned a silver medal on her three sections.  My third grader wanted to do all three sections also. He got a 29/30 on the main test, 10/10 on the next section (ancient beginnings?) but then only 5/10 on Norse, so had an 88% overall.  I told him the same thing - I was impressed that he pushed himself to do all three. I think he was still a little disappointed, but motivated for next year. 

Yes exactly! Those were the same sections that Sacha did too (also, a third grader). So funny that they ended up getting the same overall score. Those Norse questions must have been tricky. Ah well, at least they are both motivated for next year. :)

On 1/7/2018 at 10:31 AM, dmmetler said:

The big thing for the middle school tests is to read exactly the versions and sections expected for that year's test. There is enough variation between translations that it makes a difference, and the test only focuses on a small section each year, but wants very minute details. DD got a perfect score for all subtests year before last, and declared herself done. The Norse test is pretty tough.

I thought I had remembered someone saying the Norse test was hard.  

On 4/27/2018 at 3:02 PM, mlktwins said:

I thought I had remembered someone saying the Norse test was hard.  

On 1/7/2018 at 9:31 AM, dmmetler said:

. The Norse test is pretty tough.

That might have been me. [Edited to add quote showing it wasn't me!] For those in our group who have taken in the past, it has been. Hands down, most of the kids who have to take the extra sections choose Norse. In almost every case, missing one (or more) in that section is all that has kept them from a gold. Well, except for the younger kids who choose to add that section when they don't have to - those usually miss others besides the questions on that section. Mine always take the Odyssey section because, IMO, it the most interesting & straight forward to prepare for. 

Congrats to all the kids who took it this year!

Edited by RootAnn