Menu

Flylady support thread for Friday January 5 (Baby Step #5)...

3 ladybugs

Good morning Flyminds! 

Welcome to the Flylady support thread. To find out what Flylady is: http://www.flylady.net/ You can also find people on YouTube if you search for it.

We have completed the baby steps found here: http://forums.welltr...nday-october-1/

We have also completed a Building a Control Journal series found here: http://forums.welltr...-16-tue-oct-24/

If you would like to share your small accomplishments on instagram, please do so at #wtmflylady

Flylady Babysteps:

Day 1 - Shine your kitchen sink!! 

Day 2 - Dress to shoes! 

Day 3 - Exploring the Flylady’s website!

Day 4 - Write things down! 

Day 5 - Write down what you hear… http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/31-beginner-babysteps/day-5/

So today we are going to write down positive things from every negative fear we have about this system.

Need more inspiration?

https://youtu.be/o1L7CsuA1mE

https://youtu.be/L3Dmn5yhKoU

Okay, honestly? I tend to be a positive person and me just putting my mind to something is generally enough to get me to do things. That is me though. Maybe you need some positive energy. If you don’t want to keep your negative thoughts, lets us have them! We can turn them right around into wonderful positive things in NO time! Let’s do this!

An overview of the whole 31 days.

http://www.collington.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Flylady-beginner-baby-steps.pdf

Advanced Flylady: 

This week the Flylady is focused on Zone 1 - The Entrance, Front Porch and Dining Room. 

Friday - Clean out your purse/car and date night!

We use each Friday as our De-Clutter your Purse and Car day. This only takes a few minutes and saves us lots of time later. Without the candy wrappers, old receipts, and other trash in your purse, finding your car keys becomes a breeze! Removing all the clutter and trash from your car ensures that you won’t be hit by any UFOs (Unidentified Flying Objects) in the event of a crash. Set aside a few minutes just for these two tasks each Friday. Here’s a list of things to toss:

• Old gum and candy wrappers

• Soda bottles

• Scraps of paper/old receipts

• Drive thru bags and cups

• Jackets/coats/shoes

Set your timer and get to it.

Friday is also Date Night. Relationships have to be nurtured. If not, you are going to wake up one day when the children are grown and not know the person you chose to spend your life with. It is up to us to make sure we grow together! Now don’t think I am going to leave out you single people! We all have relationships! Some are marital and others are friendship. As for those friendships that you have let fall by the wayside because your home was too messy for people to come over, it is time to pick up the phone and just say hi!

Relationships are not just inanimate objects; they are made of people with feelings. When we open up our hearts and let someone else in, we become better people!  We can’t just ignore the relationship and expect it to stay the same. People need attention! You need attention! If you give it, it will come back to you! I promise.

Today's Mission (We only have missions Monday through Friday)Today, let's sparkle up the Dining Room Table and Chairs. If you don't have a Dining Room set, no problem, do this mission on the kitchen table. 

Set your timer for 15 minutes. Wipe down the tops, the edges, and the legs on your Dining Room Table. Give the chairs a wipe too. Don't ask us about cleaning chemicals, use whatever cleaning and polishing supplies you normally use for your furniture.

When you are done, put on a pretty table cloth or some pretty candles. Your table will look lovely!

Fly Kids Mission (We only have missions Monday through Friday): Today we are going to go into the bathroom that you use and help by picking up towels and dirty clothes on the floor and placing them in the hamper or taking them to the laundry room. This is a good thing to do to help your parents out.

This will only take two minutes. Set your timer and ready set go!

If you are new to Flylady, please join at any time. There is no better time then now to learn to keep your house clean the easy way! 

Ok, I'll do today's mission because I don't have that in my zone cleaning for the dining room.

--Clean dining room table and chair legs.

--Sweep house minus bedrooms

--File papers

--Sweep deck and front porch

--Grocery store run for soda

--Publix Grocery store run for yogurt - Saving for tomorrow as I am not going back out today.

--Take dog to get his nails done

--Go to pet store for food and toys

--Chiropractic visit

--Take recycles to larger bins in garage

--Empty dishwasher

--Cook dinner

--Load dishwasher and run at bedtime

Extra: Breaking this big project up into baby steps

--Help ds dust his games shelf and box with controllers.

Dinner is planned. Pesto Panko Chicken, roasted potatoes and green salad

ETA: Did a few things including two unexpected errands and now I'm sitting down to rest. 

ETA 2: And yet another errand I had to run that I had totally forgotten about, and added things to my list.

ETA 3: Finished more on my list. I tried to get ds to help me dust one part of his gaming setup but he's busy playing a game and probably by the time he's finished, I'll be too tired to tackle it. I need to get into his room earlier. Tomorrow I'm going to set a reminder on my phone to go in after he's woken up to remind me to go in and do it. I'm determined to do this!! The layer of dust is so thick that you can't even see what's underneath it. I don't know how he can live like that. Ok, I'll stop rambling. In other words, I might be done for the day.

Edited by Night Elf
  • Like 1

Yeah I think I will do the mission too as my dining room set is in the kitchen and lets face it, the kitchen has enough in it so we don't need to add the dining room tasks to it! 

I think I am also going to make Friday my "not getting up early" day. Saturday my boys have German in the morning so I need to leave the house by 8:30 am. Sunday we typically go to church for 8:00 am services so we leave at 7:30 am. So I think I will make Friday my lazy morning day. ;)

We are digging out from the snow today. DH is going to work from home today because he commutes so far. I think things will be back to normal tonight but I am not sure. I am waiting to hear if the kids will have school tomorrow. Wind Chills are VERY low tomorrow and I am not sure if they will have school with that or not. If they do, then I need to figure out how to bundle my kids in the car. I don't let them wear puffy coats in the car for the most part (ods just got the ability when he started sitting in a normal seat without any boosters or such). 

Not sure what is on my list today. I guess I should get up and look at that.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

So, here it is late in the morning, and I still haven't gotten going. I am lying in bed definitely feeling like the day is way bigger than I am. The day after co-op is always hard for me. I feel extra tired, and my body feels all throbby.

On a positive note...when I walk in my living room and kitchen, I am going to be happy! I shined my sink and swept the floors before bed last night. I also made sure that the surfaces were clear, so at least I won't be looking at piles of stuff that needs to be put away.

I watched the two videos about today's mission. I totally get the need to change self talk. I have been to the place where I completely believed that I was a failure who couldn't reform. Changing that outlook is daunting.

I think today I will check in through the day. I need the extra support. 😊

• Like 2

So, here it is late in the morning, and I still haven't gotten going. I am lying in bed definitely feeling like the day is way bigger than I am. The day after co-op is always hard for me. I feel extra tired, and my body feels all throbby.

On a positive note...when I walk in my living room and kitchen, I am going to be happy! I shined my sink and swept the floors before bed last night. I also made sure that the surfaces were clear, so at least I won't be looking at piles of stuff that needs to be put away.

I watched the two videos about today's mission. I totally get the need to change self talk. I have been to the place where I completely believed that I was a failure who couldn't reform. Changing that outlook is daunting.

Is co-op just the one day a week? Make the next day a light day. You can create your own daily chores list so make Friday's a light day with easy tasks.

• Like 1

Do you have weekends like mine? Where you have to get up early both days? It might be worth it to make Friday your "sleep in" day. Don't feel guilty about it. We ALL need a day to turn off. So if need be, make Friday your day. 

Don't feel guilty that your DH isn't there or that you "really should relax on Sunday, after all God did", God is God, we are only human. So if you need the morning off, take it. You can take off the day time on Sunday if need be, but we all need a morning. ((hugs))

I have sort of taken today off. I spent part of the morning designing a portable ironing board/design board for quilting. I have done it ALL with things inside the house. I found some old sheet wood in the basement. It was cut 10 inches wide by maybe 4 feet long. I cut it with a credit card size tool DH had to two 17 inch long pieces. Taped it up with duct tape and made it so it hinges. Now I need to see if I can find a good neutral flannel that I can put on one side (ideally white but beggers can't be choosers). I was going to use a bamboo I have but I think it also has a synthetic fiber it and that would shrink.  I have found the heat resistant batting and some old twill and a zipper I can use (I prefer to make things are washable). Probably should make a closure for it. Hmmm... I have to think about that one. 

I did educate the little one but the big one has a fever so I am sort of letting him be. He tends to have the immune system of his father so he should be well by this afternoon.  :glare:

• Like 1

Today is a cookie making day, so the kitchen will need more cleaning than usual. Hopefully the washer will be fixed today, too.

Today's Flylady tasks:

- Shine sink I want to get dishes on a better schedule, so that I run the dishwasher after lunch and we can load dinner dishes into it at night

- Keep going on the binder

- Shoes I've got this covered as far as I'm going: clogs with arch support that I'm not replacing

- I have the Beck Diet Solution book,which is about using CBT for weight loss. I do think being aware of general negative thinking would be helpful for me, and applying similar solutions would help.

Emily

Is co-op just the one day a week? Make the next day a light day. You can create your own daily chores list so make Friday's a light day with easy tasks.

Co-op is every other Thursday, and I do know that the following day is going to be a slower day day for me.  I also realize that the overtiredness is always accompanied by fear:  "What if I'm down all day?'  "Why do I feel like this?"  "Is something terribly wrong with me?"  "Should I press through or rest?"  It all drives me crazy, which, of course, exacerbates my problems with my adrenal system.  Stress is seriously toxic for me.  

I am encouraged, though, that it is January 5, and I am still plugging away at this.  Five days in a row!  That is progress for me.  Getting dressed to shoes and keeping my sink shiny is taking a lot of mental energy.  I know that sounds ridiculous, and I am not proud of it, but it is the truth.

Do you have weekends like mine? Where you have to get up early both days? It might be worth it to make Friday your "sleep in" day. Don't feel guilty about it. We ALL need a day to turn off. So if need be, make Friday your day. 

Don't feel guilty that your DH isn't there or that you "really should relax on Sunday, after all God did", God is God, we are only human. So if you need the morning off, take it. You can take off the day time on Sunday if need be, but we all need a morning. ((hugs))

I have sort of taken today off. I spent part of the morning designing a portable ironing board/design board for quilting. I have done it ALL with things inside the house. I found some old sheet wood in the basement. It was cut 10 inches wide by maybe 4 feet long. I cut it with a credit card size tool DH had to two 17 inch long pieces. Taped it up with duct tape and made it so it hinges. Now I need to see if I can find a good neutral flannel that I can put on one side (ideally white but beggers can't be choosers). I was going to use a bamboo I have but I think it also has a synthetic fiber it and that would shrink.  I have found the heat resistant batting and some old twill and a zipper I can use (I prefer to make things are washable). Probably should make a closure for it. Hmmm... I have to think about that one. 

I did educate the little one but the big one has a fever so I am sort of letting him be. He tends to have the immune system of his father so he should be well by this afternoon.  :glare:

During spring and fall football I have to be up early on Saturday.  Sunday mornings are always busy getting everyone out the door for church.  (I dread Sundays.  By then I usually feel desperate for a day that is totally off.)

I had an adrenal crash about four or five days before Christmas.  I just totally gave out and was basically down for three days.  Unfortunately, I was at my mother-in-law's home, and it was a bit awkward.  (Her husband is a doctor who does not believe in adrenal issues.)

While there my seventeen year old son sat by me and wept.  It was horrible.  I had no idea he had so much fear about me...that he would lose me suddenly just like I lost my mom....that he would have to live life without me.  As horrible as it was, it was a seriously needed wake up call for me.  I've been intentional about my nutrition and overall health the last two years, and I am definitely in much better shape than I was.  However, I still manage stress terribly, and truly I believe that is as detrimental to my health as poor nutrition is.  

I came home determined to conquer the things that stress me most, and by far one of my absolute biggest issues is my house.  I have been so ashamed and defeated by it for so many years.  In fact, I think the clutter and disorganization has affected my marriage, my homeschooling, and my parenting.  Feelings of failure don't really stay compartmentalized, do they?

So far today I have:

* Showered, washed my hair, and dressed to shoes.  (My hair takes a bit to do as I have to dry and straighten it.)

*  Got my six year old little girl ready for the day (brushed and fixed her LONG hair and brushed her teeth and washed her face)

* Made my bed

* Helped my six year old make her bed

* Straightened my bathroom and did a quick clean up of the bathroom floor

* Had my ds12 unload the dishwasher

* Helped my ds17 study for a huge exam for Civil Air Patrol

*  Had my ds17 start a load of towels

* Finished reading a chapter of French Women Don't Get Fat (my book club book)

*** I am also listening to an audio book of Emma (Jane Austen) while I am getting ready.  

Oh I am not one to talk about about managing stress. I became a nanny so I would have very little. You can't stress a child without bad things happening. So I avoid stress all the time! 

I think you are looking at Sunday wrong. You are thinking "I am getting a whole day off" when in actuality you are not. You are going to church, you are dealing with kids that don't want to go to church, and when they get there they would rather be at the dentist then at church, you are dealing with xy and z when there, then you come home and you relax. Church is great, don't get me wrong, and it is a LOT of things, but relaxing it isn't... unless you are a priest or a nun and I am sure even then it can be stressful in their own way. I think I have younger children then you (mine are 4 and 9) but I can't imagine this is one of those things that gets THAT much easier with time. 

I would give yourself credit and see Sunday as a partially relaxing day. Not a full one. If you can take the time before football starts up on Saturdays to relax then I would do it. However I would also listen to your body and if you feel like you need time on Friday, don't be afraid of that either. There will ALWAYS be something that needs to be done, there will ALWAYS be messes, but you are not good to anyone if you don't take care of yourself.