Menu

Online Driver's Ed Classes

My daughter did driversed.com

It was really boring, but the trade off was she didn’t have to take a written test. We just drove to the DMV & she was able to get her permit. I don’t think it counts toward 10% insurance discount though, but please correct me if I’m wrong (my daughter is 16 now and ready for her license).

My son will use FLVS, as it’s free for us and meets the graduation requirement of needing one online class. My daughter just preferred a different route. Also, our district offers drivers ed for free by the guidance counselor, so you could check into your district options as well.

• Like 1

My daughter hated Aceable.  We didn't choose it, but it was the one our local driving school (to whom we have gone for behind the wheel lessons) uses.  There was so much stupid filler in the teen one.  And stuff having nothing to do with driving, like multiple discussions of public transportation.  The cartoon robot (named Ace of course) was annoying.    Now, she was 18 when she took it, and thus could have used the adult version, but even at 16 she would have been disgusted with it.  

Though the course did address our state law specifically (I assume there are different versions for different states), she already had her permit, so she says she couldn't say if it would have helped.  She just used the book from our DMV for the permit.

My daughter hated Aceable.  We didn't choose it, but it was the one our local driving school (to whom we have gone for behind the wheel lessons) uses.  There was so much stupid filler in the teen one.  And stuff having nothing to do with driving, like multiple discussions of public transportation.  The cartoon robot (named Ace of course) was annoying.    

Thank you!  I think we will pass on Aceable - my dd would hate that, too.

My kids did driversed.com. It doesn't directly prepare for the permit test, but they do have sample permit test questions for each state (or maybe for a list of states).

My daughter was able to take driversed.com and get her permit without taking any other test at all. It did state that some people can be randomly selected to take the written test (I guess to make sure someone else doesn’t do the work for you online), but my daughter wasn’t one of them. The DMV was able to see that she completed the course from their computer & we got her permit with no issues. Maybe FL is different than other states though.

• Like 1

I'm looking at driversed.com and aceable.com.  Any opinions on either?  

Do these courses prepare students for their written permit test or does that have to be studied for separately?  If it matters, we're in Ohio.

Thanks!  

My son just started the Driversed.com course and I just wanted to warn you that if your child is sensitive to please be aware that if you're given a warning for viewer discretion, it is really horrific visuals of real people. They get their point across regarding the seriousness.

I'm looking at driversed.com and aceable.com.  Any opinions on either?  

Do these courses prepare students for their written permit test or does that have to be studied for separately?  If it matters, we're in Ohio.

Thanks!

I don't know about either of the online options, but wanted to let you know that there are free practice tests online for the permit test. My kids just looked those test questions over before they went in to take the permit test. They all passed the written test.

Before you take the driving portion of the exam, I would recommend that you make sure that your tags haven't expired. Yeah, that was fun. Also, the DMV in Ch***** has a reputation for having an easier driving test than the DMV at Ma******. Good luck!

My son just started the Driversed.com course and I just wanted to warn you that if your child is sensitive to please be aware that if you're given a warning for viewer discretion, it is really horrific visuals of real people. They get their point across regarding the seriousness.

Thank you for the warning!

I don't know about either of the online options, but wanted to let you know that there are free practice tests online for the permit test. My kids just looked those test questions over before they went in to take the permit test. They all passed the written test.

Before you take the driving portion of the exam, I would recommend that you make sure that your tags haven't expired. Yeah, that was fun. Also, the DMV in Ch***** has a reputation for having an easier driving test than the DMV at Ma******. Good luck!

Thank you!  Interesting about the driving test.  My older sons all went to the Ch location and my oldest had someone easy, but the other two had someone much pickier (they passed, but it was definitely a different experience).  Since then, I've heard people tell me to go to Mentor instead of Ch because Ch fails so many kids. I'll have to ask around when it gets closer.

Thank you for the warning!

Thank you!  Interesting about the driving test.  My older sons all went to the Ch location and my oldest had someone easy, but the other two had someone much pickier (they passed, but it was definitely a different experience).  Since then, I've heard people tell me to go to Mentor instead of Ch because Ch fails so many kids. I'll have to ask around when it gets closer.

Please let me know what you find out. My D still just has her permit and plans to wait until the summer when she has more time to get the in-car driving done.

Please let me know what you find out. My D still just has her permit and plans to wait until the summer when she has more time to get the in-car driving done.

I will, but your dd might take her test before I get that info.  Mine won't turn 16 until mid-August.  I will let you know if I find anything out, though, since many of her friends will be going first.  

• Like 1

Looks like in OH you have to do the behind-the-wheel part with a professional. 

Yes, we are required to have 8 hours behind-the-wheel with an instructor.  It's expensive ($300) and my dd is not happy about getting into a car with a stranger.

We used a program called Teen Smart.  I had never heard of it, but it's the one our insurance company recommended and it's the only one that qualified us for a discount with our insurance company. 

So, maybe call your insurer and ask what they recommend?

• Like 2