What's with the ads?

Photo

Format for Graduate School App Statement?

2 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Jenny in Florida

Jenny in Florida

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10440 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

My daughter is working on her personal statement for the master's program today. She just messaged to ask me if she should put it in MLA format, and I had to admit I didn't know. I've been poking around online but have not found a definitive answer. 

Does anyone know for sure what the expectation is? Or can anyone point me towards a credible source?

Thanks!

#2 jdahlquist

jdahlquist

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2245 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

I have never seen a particular format expectation for a personal statement for a graduate program.  Basically, the committee is looking for someone who can communicate clearly--has good command of the English language, has a command of the vocabulary in the particular area of study, etc.  Because there would not generally be citations in a personal statement, the formatting, so long as it looks professional, would not be a major issue.  

• Jenny in Florida, Frances and Momto2Ns like this

#3 Jenny in Florida

Jenny in Florida

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10440 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

I have never seen a particular format expectation for a personal statement for a graduate program.  Basically, the committee is looking for someone who can communicate clearly--has good command of the English language, has a command of the vocabulary in the particular area of study, etc.  Because there would not generally be citations in a personal statement, the formatting, so long as it looks professional, would not be a major issue.  

Thanks! It wasn't citations she was worried about so much as plain old page formatting.

She found a couple of examples online and used those as a guide.