Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Happy New Year

Granny_Weatherwax

woot went yesterday and today to the gym

I had to combat the birthday buffet from last night...LOL

Was it your birthday? What's on a birthday buffet? What grabs your eye and says, "Eat me."  I'm highly drawn to shrimp and lobster. If there's none of that, it's strawberries. I think it's the pink/red colour, actually, like a bird.  :laugh:

• Like 4

Was it your birthday? What's on a birthday buffet? What grabs your eye and says, "Eat me."  I'm highly drawn to shrimp and lobster. If there's none of that, it's strawberries. I think it's the pink/red colour, actually, like a bird.  :laugh:

LOL

It was for my son who is turning 16 tomorrow.  He wanted to go to a buffet. 

One plate I had was a salad.  That totally cancels the rest of it out right?  :leaving:

• Like 5

LOL

It was for my son who is turning 16 tomorrow.  He wanted to go to a buffet. 

One plate I had was a salad.  That totally cancels the rest of it out right?  :leaving:

What kind of buffet? I'd love to go to a buffet that was just soup. Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese. I love them all. 

• Like 3

It was so warm outside, too. Some people on this thread might faint if they knew how few layers I was wearing when I took this photo. ;)

As I understand it, a waterfall, even a small one, doesn't freeze until it is pretty cold. You won't convince me it was warm :)

I did my workout. My muscles feel like they are slowly melting off my  body.

• Like 4

As I understand it, a waterfall, even a small one, doesn't freeze until it is pretty cold. You won't convince me it was warm :)

I did my workout. My muscles feel like they are slowly melting off my  body.

The waterfall was like an ice sculpture at a fancy party, slowly melting in the balmy temps. 

Yes, I hate when muscles melt, though it's less painful than sore muscles building up. 

• Like 4

First half marathon of the year is in the books. I was about 20 seconds faster than last time with plenty of non-time improvements (less soreness in my quads post race, less walk breaks, and an otherwise stronger finish). Pace group was a bust as they ran way too fast and finished not too far behind the 2:30 group. I finished in 2:44:14.

And the weather was wonderful! Except the mud. I could have done without the mud.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m taking most of this week off, but will probably run a little or cross train maybe (?) towards the end of the week.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 7

I'm still having a bit of dizzyness and nausea, it is getting better each day but hasn't completely disappeared yet. I *did* get in a trail walk today, about 45 minutes. I was pleased with that considering how I've been feeling. 

First half marathon of the year is in the books. I was about 20 seconds faster than last time with plenty of non-time improvements (less soreness in my quads post race, less walk breaks, and an otherwise stronger finish). Pace group was a bust as they ran way too fast and finished not too far behind the 2:30 group. I finished in 2:44:14.

And the weather was wonderful! Except the mud. I could have done without the mud.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m taking most of this week off, but will probably run a little or cross train maybe (?) towards the end of the week.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  I hope you get a nice soak in the tub tonight (for the mud and soreness)! Double woot for all the improvements.

• Like 4

Great job on running a smart race! Enjoy your rest - you've earned it.

You say it's the first half of the year, do you have more races planned? 

• Like 5

I am in need of Vitamin I. I played a 2 hour and 45 min 4.0 singles tennis match today. I won the first set, lost the second set, and then hit the final two balls long in a 12-10 tie breaker. The tennis was awesome but I am out of shape and just couldn't push it any longer. My opponent and I began in the first wave of matches and were still playing after everyone else had finished. I am proud of myself for pushing through against a tough opponent. She outranks me in tennis standings and ratings so it was a tough match.

Even though I lost, my team won and we move on to Districts!

I am going to the Y tomorrow morning and then have team conditioning in the afternoon.

• Like 8

I am in need of Vitamin I. I played a 2 hour and 45 min 4.0 singles tennis match today. I won the first set, lost the second set, and then hit the final two balls long in a 12-10 tie breaker. The tennis was awesome but I am out of shape and just couldn't push it any longer. My opponent and I began in the first wave of matches and were still playing after everyone else had finished. I am proud of myself for pushing through against a tough opponent. She outranks me in tennis standings and ratings so it was a tough match.

Even though I lost, my team won and we move on to Districts!

I am going to the Y tomorrow morning and then have team conditioning in the afternoon.

Sounds like a really exciting match! Great job staying tough for a long match. Ladies singles matches can be really, really long. Requires so much patience and endurance. 

Congratulations for moving onto the districts. All the best!

• Like 4

:hurray:  :party:  :hurray:

I'm still having a bit of dizzyness and nausea, it is getting better each day but hasn't completely disappeared yet. I *did* get in a trail walk today, about 45 minutes. I was pleased with that considering how I've been feeling. 

Wow.  :hurray: for you for walkin' the walk when you're not feelin' it! And  :grouphug:  for what a long, discouraging, confusing slog this has been. The dizziness makes me wonder about inner ear stuff going on.Nausea is another symptom of inner ear stuff. It can be as mundane as cold or allergies clogging up the inner ear or other things an ENT would need to take a look at. Whatever, I hope you get this solved soon. Your consult is Tuesday, right?

Yesterday, I asked dh to go with me to the gym and he said, "I guess that would be a good idea." Not exactly enthusiastic, but he went. He has his first session with a personal trainer on Tuesday.   :hurray:  He has been pretty inactive except for chopping wood, which he actually enjoys. I will be glad for him to have a good plan for improving his fitness. 

I did upper and lower at the gym on the machines. Unfortunately, at the second machine, I found I had done something weird and erased all the info on my phone memo that contained the settings for the adjustments on the machines. Fortunately, I had just glanced at the stuff for machine #2 and remembered the others. But I hated losing all my data. (Hopefully, I also copied it on the computer last time I worked out. Haven't checked yet.)  Came home and did a couple rounds of push-ups since I learned the chest press machine doesn't really help that much with those. 

I had intended to also at least take a walk/jog o, but though the roads were clear enough, our drive was still a long slushy mess, and I didn't really want to walk in big rubber boots on asphalt so I skipped it. This week, the weather is looking good again.  Got in 7700 steps though without a walk. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 4

You say it's the first half of the year, do you have more races planned?

But of course! :D IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve got an 8K with my sister in April, a 20K and half with dh in May, my first marathon in the fall, and a 5K with the kids and dh a couple of weeks later. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m holding off on the half marathon in May until we know for sure if heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s heading for training for work. If he does, weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll drop the half.

That sounds exciting, scoutermom!

soror - dizziness is no fun! I hope you get it figured out soon or that it goes away. Yuck!

• Like 5

But of course! :D IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve got an 8K with my sister in April, a 20K and half with dh in May, my first marathon in the fall, and a 5K with the kids and dh a couple of weeks later. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m holding off on the half marathon in May until we know for sure if heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s heading for training for work. If he does, weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll drop the half.

Looks like a busy and exciting year for you! Which marathon will you do, if you don't mind my asking. My uncle used to do marathons all over North America. He's retired with that distance (he's 80), but he may have ran the one you're planning. I ran 2 marathons in Ottawa - one in the fall and one in the spring. The fall was way easier to train for through the spring and summer. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

No dizzyness or nausea all day today, first day since Tuesday!!! My energy level was improved as well, I managed to work around the yard for 90 minutes or so. It felt so good to be outside and productive too. I'm having a hard time falling asleep, I probably shouldn't have taken a nap but man I couldn't keep my eyes open. Fingers crossed for another good nights sleep and even more energy tomorrow (I'm still not feeling all that spunk but each day has been better).

Yesterday, I asked dh to go with me to the gym and he said, "I guess that would be a good idea." Not exactly enthusiastic, but he went. He has his first session with a personal trainer on Tuesday.   :hurray:  He has been pretty inactive except for chopping wood, which he actually enjoys. I will be glad for him to have a good plan for improving his fitness. 

I did upper and lower at the gym on the machines. Unfortunately, at the second machine, I found I had done something weird and erased all the info on my phone memo that contained the settings for the adjustments on the machines. Fortunately, I had just glanced at the stuff for machine #2 and remembered the others. But I hated losing all my data. (Hopefully, I also copied it on the computer last time I worked out. Haven't checked yet.)  Came home and did a couple rounds of push-ups since I learned the chest press machine doesn't really help that much with those. 

I had intended to also at least take a walk/jog o, but though the roads were clear enough, our drive was still a long slushy mess, and I didn't really want to walk in big rubber boots on asphalt so I skipped it. This week, the weather is looking good again.  Got in 7700 steps though without a walk. 

Thanks for the encouragement, I actually think the dizzyness for me is related to cortisol and adrenal levels considering how and when it comes, but hopefully I'll get some answers soon. It will take a few weeks to get all the tests and results but at least I'm getting the ball rolling. It has been really muddy here too, not much slush because we didn't get much snow but not that great to walk in, I had to have boots on today. Ya, for your dh joining you, boo to losing your data hopefully it shows up.

My birthday led to three pretty caloric eating days but onward and upward. I'm trying to take the long view.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

:party:  :party:  :party:  :party: Happy Birthday!!!!

That sounds exciting, scoutermom!

soror - dizziness is no fun! I hope you get it figured out soon or that it goes away. Yuck!

Sounds like you have a busy year planned. Thanks for the well wishes.

• Like 3

Dd and I went for a very short ski and skijoring this evening. There isn't much snow at the moment, so we had to turn our our loop around the soccer field into a down-and-back along the side of the field. There is supposed to be more snow coming within the next couple days, along with freezing rain. I hope the snow is more plentiful than the rain. 

• Like 5

DS and I went to the Y and got in 13.5 miles on the stationary bikes. Then we sat in the massage chairs for a session. Oh, those are heavenly. I was so sore this morning from my tennis match yesterday and unable to really do much until around noon. I also didn't sleep well due to muscle pain and I think that contributed to the slow recovery today. I refuse to believe it's age and am blaming it on the extra weight.  :)  I'm a bit behind on my Lazyman Ironman but I am making progress. I have until Feb 18 to finish so I'll keep plugging away.

I tracked my eating today and did fairly well. I made a wild duck stew and let it simmer in my cast iron dutch oven for most of the day. I only ate one helping even though I could have eaten the entire stew.

My emotions are stable and I'm upbeat and happy. 

• Like 6

They had me go through the steps of pairing it again and it did start to work again. However, the problem happened at the 24 hour mark from when I started using it! I'm concerned, especially based on what I read online, that it will periodically need "pairing" which would mess up my data. I'll stay positive for now though. 

Do you swim with yours? 

And do you know of any way I can get rid of the first day's data? I got it all paired up just before bed and it averages my 64 steps for the "day" in with all the subsequent days which is just annoying. 

Have not swum in a serious way with mine but I have worn it into the lake a few times when out 'swimming' with the children so it has gotten a good soaking.  So far, so good.  It did stop working after one event but the contacts on the back were all gummed up (DH said it was chocolate, I doubt that) and once they were cleaned it was fine and could be charged again and that's was almost 16 months ago.

Have not looked into getting rid of data so can't help with that.

woot went yesterday and today to the gym

I had to combat the birthday buffet from last night...LOL

Tell me about it.  DD's birthday party was on Saturday and the kids had a sort of Iron Chef/Master Chef cooking competition.  Guess who got to judge all the creations by tasting them?  I actually did not have dinner that night and just used the tiny bites of wraps, tiny sips of smoothies and tiny forkfuls of mug cakes as my dinner.  Some of the concoctions were quite nice - some were disgusting (DS got seaweed as his mystery ingredient for his mug cake and let me just say that seaweed and cake are not two things that should ever be considered together).

Then I went to the gym on Sunday and did the usual run/arms/legs/abs workout.  Can really feel the abs today!

• Like 5

Was this intentional skating, or the kind with boots on and you're just hoping you don't wipe out and get a broken bone and concussion?

Not intentional.  Kinda scary.  They were icing it finally as I was leaving.  It was so slippery that my car had trouble stopping.  And it was deceiving because you couldn't really see the ice. 

• Like 4

Not intentional.  Kinda scary.  They were icing it finally as I was leaving.  It was so slippery that my car had trouble stopping.  And it was deceiving because you couldn't really see the ice. 

Yes, that is scary. Glad you or your car didn't get injured.

• Like 3

Today the weather was nice and I did a 50 min walk with 24 minutes of jogging intervals. Total steps: 14,400+  Can't remember if I had 6000+ or 7000+ when I started the 50 min gig. I need to note that better next time. Either is pretty good, I think for just incidental movement, but then once I got home, I couch potatoed. I probably need to keep an eye on that. 

Got a good night's sleep last night. 

• Like 4

I've never encountered it. What makes it special, so I can be prepared and take action - I may need to take a trip to NY soon.  :laugh:

It's low carb ice cream.  I managed to only eat half the pint (8 grams net carbs, 120 calories).  But man I could eat 10 of those pints.  Just SO GOOD.  Halo Top is another one, but that one is not as good. 

• Like 1

Well, I feel happy, I thought last night I was just so tired I was a bit goofy but no, it is happiness. I've not seen happiness in weeks. My energy level has continued to increase each day (even though yesterday I was really tired from a rough night's sleep). I've especially noticed it in the mornings. We went to the park yesterday and I played around a little. Dd1 wanted to do one of our old playground workouts but I didn't want to push it too much. I did do the little obstacle course but didn't rush through it. My monkey bars skills were sorry, I've not played on them since this summer. I think I might try and do a short video today and see how it goes. I can't go to the gym tonight because my phone consult is when they are doing TKD. 

I'm due to start my period today (based on the last 6 months or so), we'll see, it has been doing a sneak attack :) 

• Like 4

Well, I feel happy, I thought last night I was just so tired I was a bit goofy but no, it is happiness. I've not seen happiness in weeks. My energy level has continued to increase each day (even though yesterday I was really tired from a rough night's sleep). I've especially noticed it in the mornings. We went to the park yesterday and I played around a little. Dd1 wanted to do one of our old playground workouts but I didn't want to push it too much. I did do the little obstacle course but didn't rush through it. My monkey bars skills were sorry, I've not played on them since this summer. I think I might try and do a short video today and see how it goes. I can't go to the gym tonight because my phone consult is when they are doing TKD. 

I'm due to start my period today (based on the last 6 months or so), we'll see, it has been doing a sneak attack :)

So glad to hear your energy and happiness is restored!! Thanks for sharing, too. It's nice to have a little community to celebrate the good and commiserate the bad stuff.

• Like 3

I'm plugging away.

I'm down 10.6 lbs with Weight Watchers.

I'm still trying to figure out what I can do healthily with my knee (I've been in PT for it since October). I did barre workouts 3 times last week but at the end, I could "notice" my knee in a way that makes me nervous. So I did some yoga last night and walked a few miles with my 9-year-old (who walks super fast!). I'm going to aim for 2 barre workouts this week, to give my knee more recovery between workouts. But I think my glute is what pulls my knee out of whack, so I'm rolling/stretching very mindfully.

I'm also doing diastasis work with a video from The Bump Room that my PT strongly recommends. I own MuTu but find it hard to do the workouts because they feel so ineffective (no sweat). This is hard enough that I feel motivated to do it. PT says she has never had a client do this regularly and not improve, so I'm aiming for 3 times per week. Still foam rolling/stretching/rehabbing my knee.

Emily

• Like 4

Looks like a busy and exciting year for you! Which marathon will you do, if you don't mind my asking. My uncle used to do marathons all over North America. He's retired with that distance (he's 80), but he may have ran the one you're planning. I ran 2 marathons in Ottawa - one in the fall and one in the spring. The fall was way easier to train for through the spring and summer.

I picked one out in Milwaukee, WI. Being in the fall means the weather might be mild (and it might not, this past October was *hot*), but training in the summer is not my favorite thing. Wisconsin summers are humid and I really hate humidity. Apparently our winters are humid too which explains why itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s so darn cold. Less likely to get below zero temps and no slippery sidewalks in the summer, though, so hopefully less treadmill running then. I focusing pretty keenly on slimming down in the pre-season with an eye towards running performance so maybe that will help.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve got seven weeks until I need to start training for my May half marathon so thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s my current project. The other runs leading up to the half IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll run as workouts since IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d have to run those distances then anyway. The 20k especially lines up perfectly and unlike when I run long runs on my own, I never have to worry about water/bathrooms because someone else has taken care of it.

That sounds scary! IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m glad to hear that you made it home safely. We had a crazy amount of rain and then it froze last night and we got a bunch of heavy snow. Word is the streets are quite slippery and I have to drive the kids about 35 minutes away for a class. Stupid winter.

Glad to hear things are looking up!

This is my last rest day. I met my step goal of just over 10k steps on Sunday, but did not meet my step goal yesterday. I have been focusing both days on being mindful of the inactivity monitor on my Garmin and trying to keep it cleared or at the very least clearing the bars as soon as they pop up. My house is pretty small and weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re in a staying home season so itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s easy to be far too sedentary.

• Like 3

I picked one out in Milwaukee, WI. Being in the fall means the weather might be mild (and it might not, this past October was *hot*), but training in the summer is not my favorite thing. Wisconsin summers are humid and I really hate humidity. Apparently our winters are humid too which explains why itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s so darn cold. Less likely to get below zero temps and no slippery sidewalks in the summer, though, so hopefully less treadmill running then. I focusing pretty keenly on slimming down in the pre-season with an eye towards running performance so maybe that will help.

Humid and cold winters are pretty brutal. Humid summers are rough, too, but at least it's warm. Where I grew up (Northern Alberta) the summers were dry but not warm. So after 6 months of dry cold, there wasn't even a reliable hot summer to look forward to.  :(  Probably another reason why winter seemed so nasty. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

I've realized that I really need the weekends to prepare for the coming week in terms of food (making enough food I can eat, like to eat, and is healthy for me) and the last two weekends have been a gong show in terms of kid activities.  This weekend was DD's sleepover birthday party and between preparing and shepherding and recovering, I didn't do any of that.  My diet is really suffering and as a result yesterday I ate a whole bunch of things that in and of themselves probably weren't too bad but all together they set off my IBS like crazy and I had a miserable miserable evening and night.

However, I hauled myself out of bed this morning, walked the dog at an almost jog pace, made the 6:35 bus and managed to get in 35 minutes of cycling at the gym, which was about all I had the mental or physical energy for.  Better than nothing though!

Now, however I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to survive until I get home on a banana and a Daiya yogourt alternative.

• Like 4

Yay on feeling better! Those hormonal changes suck.

DS and I went to the Y and got in 13.5 miles on the stationary bikes. Then we sat in the massage chairs for a session. Oh, those are heavenly. I was so sore this morning from my tennis match yesterday and unable to really do much until around noon. I also didn't sleep well due to muscle pain and I think that contributed to the slow recovery today. I refuse to believe it's age and am blaming it on the extra weight.  :)  I'm a bit behind on my Lazyman Ironman but I am making progress. I have until Feb 18 to finish so I'll keep plugging away.

I tracked my eating today and did fairly well. I made a wild duck stew and let it simmer in my cast iron dutch oven for most of the day. I only ate one helping even though I could have eaten the entire stew.

My emotions are stable and I'm upbeat and happy. 

Glad to hear you are feeling happy again!

I didn't get a good night sleep yesterday, so spent Monday just trying to function. I woke up just enough for the private lesson, but really had to push myself to go to the open floor. It was close to torture. Just before going I went to change one of those 5 gallon water bottles and somehow aggravated my tennis elbow, plus my shoulders were still sore from Saturday workout. So I could barely keep my arm up. And one of the girls hit my knee twice in the same place. Still, I did it, and the kids worked really well, so I am glad I went.

Today's plan was to do a full body workout in the morning, and then fencing. 

• Like 3

It was a perfect day today---upper 60s, sunny, nice breeze. Got in an hour walk with 30 min of jogging intervals embedded. DH had a personal training session at the gym, so as soon as my run was done, I got in the car with him---otherwise there is no way I would have done a strength training workout! But I did that at the gym AND did my flexibility exercises. 

Having fun now with my new Garmin tracker. I'd walked almost 9000 steps at home and work (just doing stuff) before I officially ran. That added another 8000 or so steps. I'm up to 19000 + right now. 

I still really need to do some side-stepping with a resistance band. Have been getting feedback from my hips that this is necessary! But I also feel like I might crash at any minute!  

Sleep last night: I had fallen asleep on the sofa sometime around midnight. Dh didn't realize I was asleep and came in an gave the dog a play command in a loud voice which startled me awake. It took me about 45 min to settle back to sleep. Looking at my sleep data, I'm not sure I got to 7 hours, but the sleep I did get was not restless. Going to bed earlier than midnight is hard for me. My clock is more naturally later to bed and sleep a little later , but there's work!  I am successful when I remind myself that fending off Alzheimer's means getting a good night's sleep so get.off.the.computer.NOW! 

<sigh> 

• Like 5

So I managed to keep my eating plan on track despite one of those three event evenings. The bad news is I woke up at 2 am with a migraine, stress related I'm sure. I medicated and dozed but not great sleep and I'm still in headache hangover territory so no run this morning and I tried my SAD light but ugh, not happening. Positive is I did a short, app guided meditation for anxiety/worry. On to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It was a busy day yesterday, so I didn't have time in the morning to do my workout. Then by the time we needed to go to fencing I got a bad headache with nausea, so I decided to skip it. After the pill I felt better and did 30 minutes of cardio on the bike and then tried to do the workout, but only managed about 30 minutes, and whatever I did was very difficult, yet today I am not sore at all. Oh well, next time it will be better :)

On another note, my DH went to a cardiologist for some chest pain, and all the guy did was look at the test result and tell him that he has high cholesterol, and no matter what DH does, it will stay high unless he gets on statins for the rest of his life. I told him to find another doctor, since DH is obviously overweight, doesn't eat healthy enough, and moves for a grand total of 3 hours a week, which is an improvement of the last 6 months or so. Anyway, I told him that he can do whatever tests the Dr. wants him to do, but try to clean up his lifestyle for a few months and then do another blood test. DH is on board with this, but it is going to be all on me, as in if I cook and prepare everything for him, he will stay with it, if I don't he will eat whatever, which is most likely bread and cheese in crazy amounts. I also want him to cut carbs. We installed MyFitnessPal and logged our food yesterday, and even without his bread, it was 60% carbs, and I hope to get it to 30-35.  So, now I need to come up with a meal plan for us, and it's not fun.

• Like 4

That's awesome! 

• Like 3