wintermom

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

woot went yesterday and today to the gym

I had to combat the birthday buffet from last night...LOL

Was it your birthday? What's on a birthday buffet? What grabs your eye and says, "Eat me."  I'm highly drawn to shrimp and lobster. If there's none of that, it's strawberries. I think it's the pink/red colour, actually, like a bird.  :laugh:

• Laurie4b, mamaraby, soror and 1 other like this

#403 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38180 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:39 PM

Was it your birthday? What's on a birthday buffet? What grabs your eye and says, "Eat me."  I'm highly drawn to shrimp and lobster. If there's none of that, it's strawberries. I think it's the pink/red colour, actually, like a bird.  :laugh:

LOL

It was for my son who is turning 16 tomorrow.  He wanted to go to a buffet. 

One plate I had was a salad.  That totally cancels the rest of it out right?  :leaving:

• Laurie4b, mamaraby, soror and 2 others like this

#404 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

Pictures like this almost make me want to see actual winter. Almost :lol:

It was so warm outside, too. Some people on this thread might faint if they knew how few layers I was wearing when I took this photo. ;)

• Laurie4b, OlgaLA, mamaraby and 3 others like this

#405 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38180 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

It was so warm outside, too. Some people on this thread might faint if they knew how few layers I was wearing when I took this photo. ;)

Yeah it's 44 right now.  I went out without a jacket!  So tropical.

#406 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

LOL

It was for my son who is turning 16 tomorrow.  He wanted to go to a buffet. 

One plate I had was a salad.  That totally cancels the rest of it out right?  :leaving:

What kind of buffet? I'd love to go to a buffet that was just soup. Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese. I love them all. 

• mamaraby, soror and Raifta like this

#407 OlgaLA

OlgaLA

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:56 PM

As I understand it, a waterfall, even a small one, doesn't freeze until it is pretty cold. You won't convince me it was warm :)

I did my workout. My muscles feel like they are slowly melting off my  body.

• mamaraby, soror, wintermom and 1 other like this

#408 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

As I understand it, a waterfall, even a small one, doesn't freeze until it is pretty cold. You won't convince me it was warm :)

I did my workout. My muscles feel like they are slowly melting off my  body.

The waterfall was like an ice sculpture at a fancy party, slowly melting in the balmy temps. 

Yes, I hate when muscles melt, though it's less painful than sore muscles building up. 

• OlgaLA, mamaraby, soror and 1 other like this

#409 mamaraby

mamaraby

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3687 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

First half marathon of the year is in the books. I was about 20 seconds faster than last time with plenty of non-time improvements (less soreness in my quads post race, less walk breaks, and an otherwise stronger finish). Pace group was a bust as they ran way too fast and finished not too far behind the 2:30 group. I finished in 2:44:14.

And the weather was wonderful! Except the mud. I could have done without the mud.

I’m taking most of this week off, but will probably run a little or cross train maybe (?) towards the end of the week.

Edited by mamaraby, 20 January 2018 - 06:38 PM.

• Laurie4b, lynn, hornblower and 4 others like this

#410 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12832 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

I'm still having a bit of dizzyness and nausea, it is getting better each day but hasn't completely disappeared yet. I *did* get in a trail walk today, about 45 minutes. I was pleased with that considering how I've been feeling. 

First half marathon of the year is in the books. I was about 20 seconds faster than last time with plenty of non-time improvements (less soreness in my quads post race, less walk breaks, and an otherwise stronger finish). Pace group was a bust as they ran way too fast and finished not too far behind the 2:30 group. I finished in 2:44:14.

And the weather was wonderful! Except the mud. I could have done without the mud.

I’m taking most of this week off, but will probably run a little or cross train maybe (?) towards the end of the week.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  I hope you get a nice soak in the tub tonight (for the mud and soreness)! Double woot for all the improvements.

• Laurie4b, OlgaLA and wintermom like this

#411 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

Great job on running a smart race! Enjoy your rest - you've earned it.

You say it's the first half of the year, do you have more races planned? 

• Laurie4b, OlgaLA, mamaraby and 2 others like this

#412 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

Tennis was great tonight. Dh and I won our match, and my partner and I won the ladies doubles. I played alright, and my fitness felt great. The skiing and snowshoeing is amazing cross-training! 

• Laurie4b, lynn, OlgaLA and 3 others like this

#413 lynn

lynn

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6671 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:46 PM

So happy the weather was beautiful today to get my long run in today. Maybe able to get a full week of half marathon training this week.

Hope you all have a great week.

Edited by lynn, 20 January 2018 - 09:48 PM.

#414 Scoutermom

Scoutermom

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6522 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:59 PM

I am in need of Vitamin I. I played a 2 hour and 45 min 4.0 singles tennis match today. I won the first set, lost the second set, and then hit the final two balls long in a 12-10 tie breaker. The tennis was awesome but I am out of shape and just couldn't push it any longer. My opponent and I began in the first wave of matches and were still playing after everyone else had finished. I am proud of myself for pushing through against a tough opponent. She outranks me in tennis standings and ratings so it was a tough match.

Even though I lost, my team won and we move on to Districts!

I am going to the Y tomorrow morning and then have team conditioning in the afternoon.

• Laurie4b, hornblower, OlgaLA and 4 others like this

#415 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

I am in need of Vitamin I. I played a 2 hour and 45 min 4.0 singles tennis match today. I won the first set, lost the second set, and then hit the final two balls long in a 12-10 tie breaker. The tennis was awesome but I am out of shape and just couldn't push it any longer. My opponent and I began in the first wave of matches and were still playing after everyone else had finished. I am proud of myself for pushing through against a tough opponent. She outranks me in tennis standings and ratings so it was a tough match.

Even though I lost, my team won and we move on to Districts!

I am going to the Y tomorrow morning and then have team conditioning in the afternoon.

Sounds like a really exciting match! Great job staying tough for a long match. Ladies singles matches can be really, really long. Requires so much patience and endurance. 

Congratulations for moving onto the districts. All the best!

• Laurie4b, OlgaLA, mamaraby and 1 other like this

#416 Laurie4b

Laurie4b

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14225 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

:hurray:  :party:  :hurray:

I'm still having a bit of dizzyness and nausea, it is getting better each day but hasn't completely disappeared yet. I *did* get in a trail walk today, about 45 minutes. I was pleased with that considering how I've been feeling. 

Wow.  :hurray: for you for walkin' the walk when you're not feelin' it! And  :grouphug:  for what a long, discouraging, confusing slog this has been. The dizziness makes me wonder about inner ear stuff going on.Nausea is another symptom of inner ear stuff. It can be as mundane as cold or allergies clogging up the inner ear or other things an ENT would need to take a look at. Whatever, I hope you get this solved soon. Your consult is Tuesday, right?

Yesterday, I asked dh to go with me to the gym and he said, "I guess that would be a good idea." Not exactly enthusiastic, but he went. He has his first session with a personal trainer on Tuesday.   :hurray:  He has been pretty inactive except for chopping wood, which he actually enjoys. I will be glad for him to have a good plan for improving his fitness. 

I did upper and lower at the gym on the machines. Unfortunately, at the second machine, I found I had done something weird and erased all the info on my phone memo that contained the settings for the adjustments on the machines. Fortunately, I had just glanced at the stuff for machine #2 and remembered the others. But I hated losing all my data. (Hopefully, I also copied it on the computer last time I worked out. Haven't checked yet.)  Came home and did a couple rounds of push-ups since I learned the chest press machine doesn't really help that much with those. 

I had intended to also at least take a walk/jog o, but though the roads were clear enough, our drive was still a long slushy mess, and I didn't really want to walk in big rubber boots on asphalt so I skipped it. This week, the weather is looking good again.  Got in 7700 steps though without a walk. 

Edited by Laurie4b, 21 January 2018 - 01:27 PM.

• OlgaLA, mamaraby, soror and 1 other like this

#417 mamaraby

mamaraby

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3687 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

You say it's the first half of the year, do you have more races planned?

But of course! :D I’ve got an 8K with my sister in April, a 20K and half with dh in May, my first marathon in the fall, and a 5K with the kids and dh a couple of weeks later. I’m holding off on the half marathon in May until we know for sure if he’s heading for training for work. If he does, we’ll drop the half.

That sounds exciting, scoutermom!

soror - dizziness is no fun! I hope you get it figured out soon or that it goes away. Yuck!
  • Laurie4b, OlgaLA, soror and 2 others like this

#418 joyofsix

joyofsix

Naughty Vixen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6315 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

My birthday led to three pretty caloric eating days but onward and upward. I'm trying to take the long view.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
  • Laurie4b, Scoutermom, soror and 1 other like this

#419 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

But of course! :D I’ve got an 8K with my sister in April, a 20K and half with dh in May, my first marathon in the fall, and a 5K with the kids and dh a couple of weeks later. I’m holding off on the half marathon in May until we know for sure if he’s heading for training for work. If he does, we’ll drop the half.

Looks like a busy and exciting year for you! Which marathon will you do, if you don't mind my asking. My uncle used to do marathons all over North America. He's retired with that distance (he's 80), but he may have ran the one you're planning. I ran 2 marathons in Ottawa - one in the fall and one in the spring. The fall was way easier to train for through the spring and summer. 

Edited by wintermom, 21 January 2018 - 11:00 PM.

• Raifta likes this

#420 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12832 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:05 PM

No dizzyness or nausea all day today, first day since Tuesday!!! My energy level was improved as well, I managed to work around the yard for 90 minutes or so. It felt so good to be outside and productive too. I'm having a hard time falling asleep, I probably shouldn't have taken a nap but man I couldn't keep my eyes open. Fingers crossed for another good nights sleep and even more energy tomorrow (I'm still not feeling all that spunk but each day has been better).

Yesterday, I asked dh to go with me to the gym and he said, "I guess that would be a good idea." Not exactly enthusiastic, but he went. He has his first session with a personal trainer on Tuesday.   :hurray:  He has been pretty inactive except for chopping wood, which he actually enjoys. I will be glad for him to have a good plan for improving his fitness. 

I did upper and lower at the gym on the machines. Unfortunately, at the second machine, I found I had done something weird and erased all the info on my phone memo that contained the settings for the adjustments on the machines. Fortunately, I had just glanced at the stuff for machine #2 and remembered the others. But I hated losing all my data. (Hopefully, I also copied it on the computer last time I worked out. Haven't checked yet.)  Came home and did a couple rounds of push-ups since I learned the chest press machine doesn't really help that much with those. 

I had intended to also at least take a walk/jog o, but though the roads were clear enough, our drive was still a long slushy mess, and I didn't really want to walk in big rubber boots on asphalt so I skipped it. This week, the weather is looking good again.  Got in 7700 steps though without a walk. 

Thanks for the encouragement, I actually think the dizzyness for me is related to cortisol and adrenal levels considering how and when it comes, but hopefully I'll get some answers soon. It will take a few weeks to get all the tests and results but at least I'm getting the ball rolling. It has been really muddy here too, not much slush because we didn't get much snow but not that great to walk in, I had to have boots on today. Ya, for your dh joining you, boo to losing your data hopefully it shows up.

My birthday led to three pretty caloric eating days but onward and upward. I'm trying to take the long view.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

:party:  :party:  :party:  :party: Happy Birthday!!!!

That sounds exciting, scoutermom!

soror - dizziness is no fun! I hope you get it figured out soon or that it goes away. Yuck!

Sounds like you have a busy year planned. Thanks for the well wishes.

• wintermom and Raifta like this

#421 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:44 PM

Dd and I went for a very short ski and skijoring this evening. There isn't much snow at the moment, so we had to turn our our loop around the soccer field into a down-and-back along the side of the field. There is supposed to be more snow coming within the next couple days, along with freezing rain. I hope the snow is more plentiful than the rain. 

• Sarah CB, OlgaLA, soror and 1 other like this

#422 Scoutermom

Scoutermom

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6522 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:03 AM

DS and I went to the Y and got in 13.5 miles on the stationary bikes. Then we sat in the massage chairs for a session. Oh, those are heavenly. I was so sore this morning from my tennis match yesterday and unable to really do much until around noon. I also didn't sleep well due to muscle pain and I think that contributed to the slow recovery today. I refuse to believe it's age and am blaming it on the extra weight.  :)  I'm a bit behind on my Lazyman Ironman but I am making progress. I have until Feb 18 to finish so I'll keep plugging away.

I tracked my eating today and did fairly well. I made a wild duck stew and let it simmer in my cast iron dutch oven for most of the day. I only ate one helping even though I could have eaten the entire stew.

My emotions are stable and I'm upbeat and happy. 

• Sarah CB, OlgaLA, soror and 2 others like this

#423 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:58 AM

Experiencing pain with your yoga class? Try out these moves from Swami Bananananda (Harold Ramis) - the first clip of Second City TV - made in Canada!  

Edited by wintermom, Yesterday, 10:03 AM.

• OlgaLA and soror like this

#424 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38180 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:49 AM

woot...I already went to the stupid gym today!!!

• Sarah CB, OlgaLA, soror and 2 others like this

#425 Raifta

Raifta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:55 PM

They had me go through the steps of pairing it again and it did start to work again. However, the problem happened at the 24 hour mark from when I started using it! I'm concerned, especially based on what I read online, that it will periodically need "pairing" which would mess up my data. I'll stay positive for now though. 

Do you swim with yours? 

And do you know of any way I can get rid of the first day's data? I got it all paired up just before bed and it averages my 64 steps for the "day" in with all the subsequent days which is just annoying. 

Have not swum in a serious way with mine but I have worn it into the lake a few times when out 'swimming' with the children so it has gotten a good soaking.  So far, so good.  It did stop working after one event but the contacts on the back were all gummed up (DH said it was chocolate, I doubt that) and once they were cleaned it was fine and could be charged again and that's was almost 16 months ago.

Have not looked into getting rid of data so can't help with that.

woot went yesterday and today to the gym

I had to combat the birthday buffet from last night...LOL

Tell me about it.  DD's birthday party was on Saturday and the kids had a sort of Iron Chef/Master Chef cooking competition.  Guess who got to judge all the creations by tasting them?  I actually did not have dinner that night and just used the tiny bites of wraps, tiny sips of smoothies and tiny forkfuls of mug cakes as my dinner.  Some of the concoctions were quite nice - some were disgusting (DS got seaweed as his mystery ingredient for his mug cake and let me just say that seaweed and cake are not two things that should ever be considered together).

Then I went to the gym on Sunday and did the usual run/arms/legs/abs workout.  Can really feel the abs today!

• OlgaLA, soror, wintermom and 1 other like this

#426 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38180 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:00 PM

now I have a pain in one butt cheek

holy hell

• soror and wintermom like this

#427 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:23 PM

I went skating with the dc and some friends. It was fun. I haven't skated since before Christmas. It feels a lot like skate skiing with shorter "blades." 

There is snow falling now, and I hope it stays snow. 

• OlgaLA, soror and SparklyUnicorn like this

#428 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38180 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:29 PM

I went skating in the parking lot of the gym.  It was one big fat sheet of ice.  :laugh:

• soror and wintermom like this

#429 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:41 PM

I went skating in the parking lot of the gym.  It was one big fat sheet of ice.  :laugh:

Was this intentional skating, or the kind with boots on and you're just hoping you don't wipe out and get a broken bone and concussion?

• soror likes this

#430 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38180 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Was this intentional skating, or the kind with boots on and you're just hoping you don't wipe out and get a broken bone and concussion?

Not intentional.  Kinda scary.  They were icing it finally as I was leaving.  It was so slippery that my car had trouble stopping.  And it was deceiving because you couldn't really see the ice. 

• OlgaLA, soror and wintermom like this

#431 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:36 PM

Not intentional.  Kinda scary.  They were icing it finally as I was leaving.  It was so slippery that my car had trouble stopping.  And it was deceiving because you couldn't really see the ice. 

Yes, that is scary. Glad you or your car didn't get injured.

• soror and SparklyUnicorn like this

#432 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38180 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:50 PM

I'm never buying Enlightened ice cream again.  It's too good.....

#433 PinkTulip

PinkTulip

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1006 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:39 PM

After a week of being totally out of it due to a bad cold, I am back on the wagon today. I went skiing today for several hours, by myself. It was so heavenly - not something I would normally do for myself at all. I'm home now and trying to figure out what to make for dinner.
  • OlgaLA, soror and wintermom like this

#434 Laurie4b

Laurie4b

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14225 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM

Today the weather was nice and I did a 50 min walk with 24 minutes of jogging intervals. Total steps: 14,400+  Can't remember if I had 6000+ or 7000+ when I started the 50 min gig. I need to note that better next time. Either is pretty good, I think for just incidental movement, but then once I got home, I couch potatoed. I probably need to keep an eye on that. 

Got a good night's sleep last night. 

#435 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted Today, 06:54 AM

I'm never buying Enlightened ice cream again.  It's too good.....

I've never encountered it. What makes it special, so I can be prepared and take action - I may need to take a trip to NY soon.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom, Today, 06:56 AM.

• soror likes this

#436 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38180 posts

Posted Today, 08:09 AM

I've never encountered it. What makes it special, so I can be prepared and take action - I may need to take a trip to NY soon.  :laugh:

It's low carb ice cream.  I managed to only eat half the pint (8 grams net carbs, 120 calories).  But man I could eat 10 of those pints.  Just SO GOOD.  Halo Top is another one, but that one is not as good. 

• wintermom likes this

#437 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted Today, 08:31 AM

Work-out #1 completed: scraping ice off the van, chopping ice off the walkway. I need a coffee now! Some of that ice cream might be good, too, but bring on the carbs to replenish my energy levels. 

#438 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12832 posts

Posted Today, 08:38 AM

Well, I feel happy, I thought last night I was just so tired I was a bit goofy but no, it is happiness. I've not seen happiness in weeks. My energy level has continued to increase each day (even though yesterday I was really tired from a rough night's sleep). I've especially noticed it in the mornings. We went to the park yesterday and I played around a little. Dd1 wanted to do one of our old playground workouts but I didn't want to push it too much. I did do the little obstacle course but didn't rush through it. My monkey bars skills were sorry, I've not played on them since this summer. I think I might try and do a short video today and see how it goes. I can't go to the gym tonight because my phone consult is when they are doing TKD. 

I'm due to start my period today (based on the last 6 months or so), we'll see, it has been doing a sneak attack :) 

• wintermom likes this

#439 wintermom

wintermom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6281 posts

Posted Today, 08:45 AM

Well, I feel happy, I thought last night I was just so tired I was a bit goofy but no, it is happiness. I've not seen happiness in weeks. My energy level has continued to increase each day (even though yesterday I was really tired from a rough night's sleep). I've especially noticed it in the mornings. We went to the park yesterday and I played around a little. Dd1 wanted to do one of our old playground workouts but I didn't want to push it too much. I did do the little obstacle course but didn't rush through it. My monkey bars skills were sorry, I've not played on them since this summer. I think I might try and do a short video today and see how it goes. I can't go to the gym tonight because my phone consult is when they are doing TKD. 

I'm due to start my period today (based on the last 6 months or so), we'll see, it has been doing a sneak attack :)

So glad to hear your energy and happiness is restored!! Thanks for sharing, too. It's nice to have a little community to celebrate the good and commiserate the bad stuff.

• soror likes this