Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Happy New Year

Granny_Weatherwax

I did not walk yesterday, just work around the house, I stayed busy until 4, sit for an hour then was busy for another hour and a half cooking a big supper.

I did get some food prepped- baked eggplant for me tonight and a batch of turkey meatballs for lunches (they won't last all week but will give us a couple of days).

I've started doing some supper prep in the am too, it has been a lifesaver when we have busy evenings, I don't know why it didn't occur to me before.

This week is much more calm, thankfully! I'm feeling better too as I'm post ovulation, so I'm going to try and up things a bit and hope I don't overdo it.

I'm doing horribly on walking, the weather has been bad and I just haven't had my heart in it. The sun is coming out tomorrow though. I told dh I wanted to get in a 5 mi hike this month (which is really not much) but with the weather, the to-do list, and everything going on we've not done much. I think I'll try and get that done Sat maybe, it is supposed to be in the 50s and the girls will be at a friend's house, maybe I can head out from the house. I'll have to map out how far that is. I really wanted to go with dh but he is going to be gone Sat (camping) and I'm sure he will want to stay inside where it is warm and dry Sun, the only other day we have is maybe next Sunday.

Mon- UGH, I can't decide if I want to go to the library while ds does Math or take the girls swimming, I'd really like to do both but I don't think I'll have enough time

Tues- Weights- Squats, Deadlifts, Bench press, shoulder press, Rows, lunges

Wed- Yoga/workout video

Thurs Weights- Full Body- same as Tues

Fri-Yoga/workout video at home

Sat- Bodyweight workout- push-ups, pulls, squat variations (flow), crawling, balance work, hangs

Sun-Rest

• Like 6

My plan to rest yesterday to ward off a cold was unsuccessful. I haven't slept at all for 2 nights now and got up today to a sore throat, stuffed ears, and a go through an entire box of Kleenex in one day runny nose.

We had planned a family ski day today, so my family went without me and I'm hanging out with the dog trying to feel better. Boo!

• Like 4

My plan to rest yesterday to ward off a cold was unsuccessful. I haven't slept at all for 2 nights now and got up today to a sore throat, stuffed ears, and a go through an entire box of Kleenex in one day runny nose.

We had planned a family ski day today, so my family went without me and I'm hanging out with the dog trying to feel better. Boo!

Can't like your post, but sending some sympathy! Missing a ski trip would seriously bum me out!  May you have a snuggly day with a nice book or whatever will make you feel better. 

• Like 5

Ugh. I went to sleep really late last night for no good reason other than clicking too long. Finally got myself to stop by reminding myself that the deep sleep is when the brain cleans up any plaques and tangles that may be forming. Thought I would be okay since today is a holiday but no. I woke up at a regular time and then couldn't fall back asleep. 

I decided to add a goal of trying to form a new habit of drinking 2 glasses of water when I first get up to re-hydrate. I often eat breakfast but don't drink anything (just forget) and so stay pretty dehydrated for the morning. 

I am waiting for my tracker to arrive today! I'm excited about that. I am planning for the movement each hour to dance for a few minutes and then do a set of push-ups. That will get a bit of my strength-training workout in today. 

• Like 6

Due to schedule changes, I decided to quit my Y membership for now.  Thanks to a poster here, I decided to go ahead and buy a Beachbody on Demand membership.  The one year fee is less than 2 months of my Y membership!  

I did the T25 cardio workout.  Wow!  It's tough, but I feel awesome.  I can't manage hour to 1.5 hour workout sessions anymore. Hopefully BB on demand can keep me on track.  

• Like 5

Despite a crazy hectic weekend that involved planning for things to occur in 5 minute increments for most of Friday and Sunday (and dashing out to  start the car every 4-5 hours from Friday evening to Sunday morning to insure it started on Sunday morning when I had to go pick up DS from camp) I did manage to get to the gym on Sunday with my 2 friends.  

Did our usual routine of run/walk for 25 minutes, arms, abs and legs.  We are all rather out of shape cardio wise and all turn delightful shades of purple as we run.  We are considering getting matching tshirts that say on the front "40 year old purple ladies" and on the back "We're OK."

We also discussed weighing ourselves all together once a week at the gym.  And hopefully finding it going down each week or at least holding steady.  Since one of the things I am NOT doing is weighing myself (at least not yet - I might eventually do it in a few months) but trying to focus on developing a regular exercise routine, eating smaller portions of healthier foods and tracking my eating in My Fitness Pal.

• Like 4

My 12 year old... :001_rolleyes:

I said in the car on the way home from somewhere...I can't make up mind if I should go to the gym today.  He said well do you want to go?  I said..well no I never really WANT to go.  He said, so don't go then you can be as unhappy with your body as you are with your mind.  :lol:

He's available for motivational speaking if anyone is interested... :glare:

• Like 6

Woot! I got the OK from my PT today to do barre again and I celebrated by rejoining my favorite streaming barre workout and exercising tonight!

For anyone else who is recovering from injury, I'll pass on what she said. Of course we talked about specific modifications, but then she told me, "Basically, do your workout at a C+/B- level. Then, if you feel great the next day, you can work slightly harder the next time." That was really helpful for me as I watched the videos and the instructor said "Go deeper" and I would think "This is already C+ work, thank you very much."

It felt great to be back. I am so glad.

On the weight loss front, Weight Watchers is going well and I am learning to modify family recipes to make them healthier (for all of us). Less starch/white flour/butter/sugar, more veggies/fruits. The last two I modified were hits. (A blondies recipe and a family soup recipe.) I'm down 8.6 pounds. I need to lose about 12 more to be at my "normal" weight.

Emily

• Like 7

As planned today - lesson and some practice in the morning and open fencing in the evening. I am totally exhausted, but satisfied.  I noticed another sliver of improvement today, plus my DOMS seems to have moved back to 24 hour mark from 48, which means shorter recovery time.

• Like 6

As planned today - lesson and some practice in the morning and open fencing in the evening. I am totally exhausted, but satisfied.  I noticed another sliver of improvement today, plus my DOMS seems to have moved back to 24 hour mark from 48, which means shorter recovery time.

By DOMS, do you mean the muscle soreness after exercise (I googled it). Do you find the length and severity of the soreness varies depending on the exercise done (length, intensity, type). One's current base-line fitness level plays a role, too. If I have to take a couple weeks off exercise, getting back into training is more painful than when I'm doing it regularly. 

• Like 5

Best laid plans...

I went by the walking track (indoor) yesterday but it was closed!

Now, TKD is closed tonight(and all of the schools DOT has several roads closed) because the roads are bad. Dh is going in to work (with his 4WD truck) and is going to tell me how driving is. It looks like I will not be going in to lift weights tonight. I guess I'll do a combo of work with the KB and bodyweight stuff, I had this plan and everything UGH! Oh, and dh may have to go out of town Thurs, screwing up Thurs night lifting too. If that is the case I guess I'll lift Friday, after co-op the girls are going with friends and I'll just have ds, who is old enough to go to the pool by himself. 

• Like 5

Got in bed on time last night, so even though I wakened early and lost some sleep (I was able to fall back asleep) I am sure I got over 7 hours. 

Yesterday, I did upper body strength training and a bit of walking at the mall after shopping. I had planned to do flexibility at home after the mall and forgot! Didn't put it off, just forgot!

I thought my new tracker had not arrived but last night when I checked on Amazon, it had been put in the mailbox. I thought only USPS could use the mailbox. And wasn't it a federal holiday with no mail yesterday? I'll drive down this morning and retrieve it. 

Today's plan is outside walk/jog.  Maybe I will go to the gym for lower body. 

Snow tomorrow. I plan to sled! 

• Like 6

Best laid plans...

I went by the walking track (indoor) yesterday but it was closed!

Now, TKD is closed tonight(and all of the schools DOT has several roads closed) because the roads are bad. Dh is going in to work (with his 4WD truck) and is going to tell me how driving is. It looks like I will not be going in to lift weights tonight. I guess I'll do a combo of work with the KB and bodyweight stuff, I had this plan and everything UGH! Oh, and dh may have to go out of town Thurs, screwing up Thurs night lifting too. If that is the case I guess I'll lift Friday, after co-op the girls are going with friends and I'll just have ds, who is old enough to go to the pool by himself. 

Don't you just hate it when you're actually working at the planning and execution and BAM!  How many Plan Bs can a girl have? 

• Like 4

I thought my new tracker had not arrived but last night when I checked on Amazon, it had been put in the mailbox. I thought only USPS could use the mailbox. And wasn't it a federal holiday with no mail yesterday? I'll drive down this morning and retrieve it. 

Apparently UPS still delivers on federal holidays, because we had two packages delivered yesterday.  I am surprised they put it in your mailbox, though.  I didn't think anyone but USPS was allowed to do that.  

• Like 4

I have abandoned yoga because it gave me a horrendous case of vertigo and am back to just walking.

That is really interesting. Sorry you had to abandon yoga.  What poses or movements bring it on?  I don't have vertigo, but elevators bother me sometimes. My blood pressure is very low, so quick movement changes can cause temporary dizziness.  I quit yoga as well, but for other reasons.

• Like 1

That is really interesting. Sorry you had to abandon yoga.  What poses or movements bring it on?  I don't have vertigo, but elevators bother me sometimes. My blood pressure is very low, so quick movement changes can cause temporary dizziness.  I quit yoga as well, but for other reasons.

I do not know for sure. All I know is that two days after starting a yoga challenge, I had the worst case of Benign Positional Vertigo in decades. From what I read, I suspect the problem are inversions like downward facing dog, and poses where the neck is stretched.

It is not related to blood pressure (I know that dizziness since I have low BP as well), but caused by a misalignment of crystals in the inner ear.

• Like 5

Quick trip to the gym this morning. 15 minutes rowing and 15 minutes on bike.  Major victory was getting an upper locker in a nice quiet row of lockers.

Have a volleyball game tonight so I don't feel too bad about the not terribly intense gym time.

Still tracking food and eating lots of veggies and avoiding buying snack foods at the grocery store, which is usually my major downfall.  As long as they are not in the house, I'm fine.

• Like 6

Just finished a great training session at the gym - reached my goal of being able to deadlift 200 lbs! 

I'm supposed to run tonight, but the roads are terrible - there was a bunch of snow and then frozen rain and then more snow - so, we'll see what happens, probably depends on how well the snow clearing goes today. 

• Like 8

Would anyone happen to have any recommendations for a good insole or orthotic for metatarsal pain?  My left foot has been bothering me off and on, not a big deal and I didn't think much of it.  But yesterday's cardio workout was quite uncomfortable.  I have super-high arches, hard (tile) flooring throughout my home (and I'm always at home), and I tend to prefer minimalist-type shoes.  From what I read online yesterday, that's practically a recipe for metatarsal pain.  But there are so many insoles and orthotics out there, I'm not sure what to try first!

• Like 3

Scheduling conflicts pushed my trip to the gym with dd14 to 2pm yesterday. The gym was PACKED compared to how it's been between 6 and 8am.  Any other gym I've belonged to has always been the opposite, with more people trying to squeeze their workouts in before (or after) work.  But it WAS MLK day, so I suppose that could be the reason.

DD loved it.  She didn't want to leave, but I did have other mom things to do!

Unfortunately, tomorrow is looking dicey. Snow isn't supposed to let up until the morning.

• Like 6

Well, I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that my cold has moved into full-blown really sick. I have not slept at all in the past 3 nights and went through an entire box of Kleenex in the last 24 hours. I laid low yesterday, but this afternoon need to time at a swim meet and then host 15 people for Book Club tonight. It's going to be rough.

The good news is that because I have zero appetite, and can't taste anything anyway, I am more than half a pound beyond my major goal weight milestone. So yay?!

• Like 4

Awe, sorry to hear youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re sick PinkTulip! ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s no fun!!

3.2 mile run outside. Most of the sidewalks were clear, but we got 5Ă¢â‚¬ of dry snow over the past couple of days and at least a couple sidewalks hadnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t been cleared at all. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s interesting running through the snow. At least with it that dry, my feet didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t end up wet.

• Like 4

By DOMS, do you mean the muscle soreness after exercise (I googled it). Do you find the length and severity of the soreness varies depending on the exercise done (length, intensity, type). One's current base-line fitness level plays a role, too. If I have to take a couple weeks off exercise, getting back into training is more painful than when I'm doing it regularly. 

Yes, I meant the soreness. I know that length of recovery depends on the damage done, that is not what I was talking about. It's just for the last few years whenever I did strenuous exercise the onset of muscle soreness was delayed till the day after the next, after which it healed according to intensity. So, the day after the exercise there was no or almost no soreness, just muscle tiredness. It was like that for all muscle groups. Now it is back to getting sore the next day.

I also find that the more developed the muscles are, the more effort it takes to make them sore. I think at this point I need to practically kill myself exercising to make my abs feel anything. My back on the other hand took only 3 sets of 7 horizontal pulls to be very sore. I was sure my abs would hurt after the Saturday workout, but no, not even a hint of soreness.

Just finished a great training session at the gym - reached my goal of being able to deadlift 200 lbs! 

I'm supposed to run tonight, but the roads are terrible - there was a bunch of snow and then frozen rain and then more snow - so, we'll see what happens, probably depends on how well the snow clearing goes today. 

Congrats on the lift!

• Like 6

Yes, I meant the soreness. I know that length of recovery depends on the damage done, that is not what I was talking about. It's just for the last few years whenever I did strenuous exercise the onset of muscle soreness was delayed till the day after the next, after which it healed according to intensity. So, the day after the exercise there was no or almost no soreness, just muscle tiredness. It was like that for all muscle groups. Now it is back to getting sore the next day.

I also find that the more developed the muscles are, the more effort it takes to make them sore. I think at this point I need to practically kill myself exercising to make my abs feel anything. My back on the other hand took only 3 sets of 7 horizontal pulls to be very sore. I was sure my abs would hurt after the Saturday workout, but no, not even a hint of soreness.

You sound very "body aware" and very aware in general.  My back was sore the other day and I'm like, "What the heck made this happen?" I completely forgot I'd done a few sets of sit-ups and back extensions the day before. It's all a blur to me. ;)  I remember my tennis matches, but the rest of my life is foggy. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

Wow! Go you!  :hurray:

• Like 4

You sound very "body aware" and very aware in general.  My back was sore the other day and I'm like, "What the heck made this happen?" I completely forgot I'd done a few sets of sit-ups and back extensions the day before. It's all a blur to me. ;)  I remember my tennis matches, but the rest of my life is foggy. 

The only things I remember are those I write down in my bullet journal ;) I do write down everything fitness and especially fencing related.

• Like 5

Would anyone happen to have any recommendations for a good insole or orthotic for metatarsal pain?  My left foot has been bothering me off and on, not a big deal and I didn't think much of it.  But yesterday's cardio workout was quite uncomfortable.  I have super-high arches, hard (tile) flooring throughout my home (and I'm always at home), and I tend to prefer minimalist-type shoes.  From what I read online yesterday, that's practically a recipe for metatarsal pain.  But there are so many insoles and orthotics out there, I'm not sure what to try first!

Metatarsal pain for me usually means I need new runners. I wear shoes with support at home, and quality running shoes when exercising. I treat my feet well now. No flats. 

• Like 5

The only things I remember are those I write down in my bullet journal ;) I do write down everything fitness and especially fencing related.

Is that why people write down what they eat? So they don't forget they ate 3 helpings of cake.  I'd rather just enjoy them and then forget the whole thing ever happened. I want no record at all about my indiscretions. 

Some of my work-outs in the gym are like that, too. I do the run, it's boring and not all that fun. I'll do some weights and stuff. And it feels ok, but I don't really want to be reminded of it later. Even the muscle soreness is a reminder of the event I don't need.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

I finished my weight exercises at home.

I did:

kb rows

incline push-ups

squats

lunges

horizontal pulls

hangs

shoulder presses

I did more reps but only 2 sets (since I only have so much weight here).

I planned to do more but I overheated and nearly got sick. That sucks.  I *think* the problem was trying to do it more circuit style and not taking breaks between sets, I have been doing 1 exercise at a time or at most 2 and resting between each set but really wanted to just knock it out. Evidently, I can't do that. I mean my muscles can but my heart rate shoots up, I get really hot, and I feel like I'm going to throw up. 

• Like 6

Metatarsal pain for me usually means I need new runners. I wear shoes with support at home, and quality running shoes when exercising. I treat my feet well now. No flats. 

Thanks, Wintermom!  I do have a good quality pair of (still newish) running shoes.  I think my problem is that I don't take care of my feet the rest of the time.  I usually just wear slippers around my house all day, and flats or sometimes heels when I'm out and about, none of which have any support.

• Like 4

Got in 50 min of walking with 21 min of embedded jogging intervals and for some reason, I am absolutely wiped out!  

I need to get up and go buy a pair of mittens because it's supposed to snow and I want to sled and the gloves I have are thin fleece. But my body doesn't seem to want to get up and out! 

• Like 5

Got in 50 min of walking with 21 min of embedded jogging intervals and for some reason, I am absolutely wiped out!  

I need to get up and go buy a pair of mittens because it's supposed to snow and I want to sled and the gloves I have are thin fleece. But my body doesn't seem to want to get up and out! 

This is exactly like me! I will get up and to out to play in the snow, but don't make me go shop.  :laugh:

• Like 4

Is that why people write down what they eat? So they don't forget they ate 3 helpings of cake.  I'd rather just enjoy them and then forget the whole thing ever happened. I want no record at all about my indiscretions. 

Some of my work-outs in the gym are like that, too. I do the run, it's boring and not all that fun. I'll do some weights and stuff. And it feels ok, but I don't really want to be reminded of it later. Even the muscle soreness is a reminder of the event I don't need.  :laugh:

I tried writing down what I eat for two whole days :). The one way it helped me was not grabbing that handful of nuts on my way through the kitchen, because who wants to weigh them and then write that down  :lol: 

I didn't write down details when I was just working out, I started doing it when I started training for a goal. I mean, I did write something like 30 min cardio, or upper body workout, because I had no plans of comparing that to anything, only keeping track of time spent moving.

I did an hour of fencing yesterday. I managed to beat a C-rated fencer for the first time (they are rated from A(the best) to E, plus U for unrated ones, such as myself). I also beat DD two days in a row after many months of not even coming close. I think they were just not making an effort :)

• Like 3

I tried writing down what I eat for two whole days :). The one way it helped me was not grabbing that handful of nuts on my way through the kitchen, because who wants to weigh them and then write that down  :lol:

I didn't write down details when I was just working out, I started doing it when I started training for a goal. I mean, I did write something like 30 min cardio, or upper body workout, because I had no plans of comparing that to anything, only keeping track of time spent moving.

I did an hour of fencing yesterday. I managed to beat a C-rated fencer for the first time (they are rated from A(the best) to E, plus U for unrated ones, such as myself). I also beat DD two days in a row after many months of not even coming close. I think they were just not making an effort :)

Yes, I did write down my training sessions when I was working towards my first marathon. That was a lot of work, but it was effective in seeing my progress.  At the moment I don't have a specific goal other than trying to exercise 30 min/day. I think I need something bigger to get my attention. ;)

What is your goal? I think you wrote it somewhere, but is it fencing specific?

• Like 2

I don't want to come here daily and whine about being sick, but I do want to check in for accountability. I'm still sick today, but I did sleep last night after taking some NyQuil right before bed. I think I have turned the corner and in another day or two, will be able to ease into some light rowing again.

• Like 5

I don't want to come here daily and whine about being sick, but I do want to check in for accountability. I'm still sick today, but I did sleep last night after taking some NyQuil right before bed. I think I have turned the corner and in another day or two, will be able to ease into some light rowing again.

Feel better soon! And it is totally ok to come here to whine a bit :)

ugh..I just don't wanna

But you can and you will, right? :)

Yes, I did write down my training sessions when I was working towards my first marathon. That was a lot of work, but it was effective in seeing my progress.  At the moment I don't have a specific goal other than trying to exercise 30 min/day. I think I need something bigger to get my attention. ;)

What is your goal? I think you wrote it somewhere, but is it fencing specific?

Wimbledon? :) Then you look at it, realize that you are not in a good enough shape for it, and start working out to get in that shape. :lol: You may never get there, but you will be in the best shape of your life. That's what I do, anyway. 

At some point I realized that while I love fencing and not excited about general exercise, weightlifting, etc, I need extra strength and endurance to improve my fencing performance. In a few competitions I went to I could feel how my my attention disappears as I get tired. I tried to do exercises at home, but I really wasn't excited about it. Now that I read about bodyweight training, I decided I want to be able to do pull ups, muscle ups, and some other tricks, so I started training to be able to do that.

With fencing my goals are pretty move-specific at the moment. I do want to make the team for the World Veteran Championship, but the earliest I can qualify is the season of 2024-2025, so long time from now. I am not at the point where I can say I want to win this or that event either. So I pick something like learn to do a fleche in bouts. I can do it during a lesson, but during bouts it goes out of my head, so I keep working on that.

• Like 2