Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Happy New Year

Granny_Weatherwax

Last night, I got at least 7 hours sleep---maybe 7 1/2 . Got in bed at the right time, and didn't wake up too much before my alarm.  Dang, it's hard though, to stop reading on the internet early enough! 

Got in a strength training workout at the gym and did my flexibility exercises there. 

I've done well with my eating. I'm trying to be more mindful of saturated fats and boy, it's hard to hit the target  (about 14 g) even though I eat no full fat dairy, red meat, desserts, etc. on a daily basis. I am liberal with plant based fats, though, and it turns out that those have a bit of saturated fat, too. Combined with my 2 eggs every morning, it can get up there fast by 1 or 2 g. at a time. I've vut back on my dark chocolate and next time I buy it, I will check out how much less fat there is if I go down on percentage of cacao. I know the sugar goes up a bit when the fat goes down. (I'm targeting it b/c breast cancer survivors are supposed to eat a low fat diet, but when I dug into the research, it looks like plant fats are okay. That combined with the research on the DASH, Mediterranean, and MIND diets and my family hx of Alzheimer's makes it worth it to me to adjust for that.) 

• Like 6

How are they liking it? Is the alarm for not moving a vibration or a tone? If a tone, would other people hear it? Can you turn it off for instance if going into a movie theater? Do you have to tell it that you're going to sleep or does it figure it out itself? Thanks very much for any info!

Hmmm, dd says the alarm for moving is a beep, but it’s not very loud. Other people might hear it if they were sitting close to you. I don’t really hear it unless one of the kids draws attention to it. I would say it’s more like a short chirp than a tone. It figures out when you go to sleep on its own. You can adjust the time you went to sleep and when you woke after the fact in the Garmin Connect app if need be.

They seem to like it. All five of us have a Garmin device and the app so we do sort of compete amongst each other to see who gets the most steps. It has gotten them to be a bit more active or at the least more aware of how active they really are. I think that’s really the value of the devices, anyway- that relative sense of just how sedentary one really has been.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 2

Thanks, Greta. I looked on Amazon and the only shines that were under $25 had a blue face or a green face. Is there somewhere else I should look? I like blue and green but want the tracker to not call attention to itself, KWIM? Is the alarm for not moving a vibration or a tone? If a tone, would other people hear it? Can you turn it off for instance if going into a movie theater? Do you have to tell it that you're going to sleep or does it figure it out itself?

Did you see the champagne color on the Misfit website? It’s nice, pretty neutral. I don’t believe that the Shine has an alarm for not moving.

Can you tell me what you can see by looking down at the Ray? I looked at that but couldn't tell whether there is any way you get a sense of your progress. Is the alarm for not moving a vibration or a tone? If a tone, would other people hear it? Can you turn it off for instance if going into a movie theater? Is it waterproof? Do you have to tell it that you're going to sleep or does it figure it out itself?

No, unfortunately the device itself doesn’t show your progress. You have to open the phone app for that. (At least, I think that is the case. The device does have a light which can change colors so maybe there’s a way that it can indicate progress which I’ve never figured out! I’ll check into it.)

ETA: Distegard the previous paragraph — I was wrong. On this webpage, click on “Activity Display†and then “Progress Displayâ€. https://misfit.com/go/ray

The alarm is a vibration. It does make a slight sound, but it’s pretty soft, I don’t think it would bother anyone else. To turn it off when going to the movies, you would have to open the phone app. The app also lets you decide what hours of the day you want the inactivity alarm to work. I have mine set for 7am to 6pm, for example, because I don’t want it going off during or after supper. You can open the app any time to either change those hours, or just temporarily turn it off. It is swimproof.

Edited by Greta
  • Like 1

Finished my workout before full daylight!!!

I was still sore from pushing myself so hard Wednesday, so I stuck with cardio, which is usually my absolute least favorite thing in the world. Hung in there for an hour without coming too close to crying.

I need to learn the skill of showering at the gym. This is a new thing to me and i don’t like it. And I forgot a hairbrush today, lol.

• Like 6

The weather ended up being really nice yesterday, up in the 60s and no rain until the evening. I walked about 3 mi. total.

I went to the gym and got my lifting done while the kids did TKD, I did benchpress on the Smith Machine instead of incline push-ups, I haven't benched in ages, it was quite pathetic. I added weight to my squat and will add to my press next time (trying to go easy with those with my shoulders).

Today I don't know if we'll walk or not, the roads are covered in ice so we aren't going anywhere and if it is really bad I'm not walking it either.

I slept good again but I took 1mg of melatonin for insurance. 

Dh is off so I hope we have some good family time but we do have a bit of school to finish since we were so busy.

• Like 7

My goal for the new year was to be more consistent, and here we are only in week two and I'm already having a rough go.  One day was pretty much wiped out going to and from the veterinarian clinic.  We found out that one of our dogs has a brain tumor.   :crying:  Then yesterday was wiped out by a bad migraine.  

So, the only way I'm going to make goal for the week is if I do a weight workout AND half of a cardio workout both today and Sunday (I count my weeks as starting on Monday) and a full cardio workout on Saturday.  And I'm posting this in the hopes that saying it will make me more likely to follow through and do it!  Yesterday's migraine is better, but when I have one that bad, it doesn't usually just go away completely the next day.  So I'm still not feeling super, though nowhere near as bad.  In other words, I CAN do this, I just don't want to!  :lol:

• Like 5

Greta, sorry to hear about your dog :(

Oh, gosh, Hornblower that is very sweet of you.  But since you are dealing with cancer yourself right now, I really shouldn't be whining about my dog to you.  I hope that you are doing okay.  I can hardly imagine, but I know it must be rough.

• Like 6

Thoughts are with those of you who are injured, ill, or undergoing sad times with your family or pets.

I made it to the gym yesterday morning before work and ran for 25 minutes (well ran/walked) and did some abs and a lot of stretching.

Yesterday was, however, the first day that I really didn't do very well with my eating habits.  I just couldn't stop eating at night.  Fortunately all the bad things to eat are pretty much gone now, so hopefully there won't be much temptation left and I am going to try to remember to make myself a cup of tea instead of eating even if that makes me have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

So I've been to the gym 7 times since I got my membership in late December.  Each operation has been planned like I am embarking on some sort of military assault due to the sheer amount of stuff I need to bring, especially if I am going to work afterwards and have to worry about food, work clothes etc.  So I've decided to treat myself to a half locker.  It's only $10/month and I can leave my shoes, shower stuff and towel there which will eliminate one of the bags of stuff I've been hauling around each day I've been at the gym.  It's been challenging on the bus getting home from work when I have a purse, a backpack and a duffel bag.

• Like 7

Did hill training with my running group last night and then hit the gym this morning. My trainer has me doing more lifting and I'm really enjoying it. I've still been successful with my 48 hour fasts twice a week. I'm really happy that I've found something manageable and something that can just be the same every single week. 

Looking forward to dinner tonight - stuffed mushrooms and shrimp as an appie and then burgers (I make buns that are 2 grams of carbs each) and caesar salad. I may pull out my last piece of Keto cheesecake from the freezer. 

• Like 6

I went to the gym this morning at 8am and it was +12 C or 54 F and raining outside!! Most of the snow is gone, too. The ice on the canal and ponds is causing major fog. It's freaky.  And it's supposed to go right back down to freezing and 6+ inches of snow for tomorrow.  :leaving:   I saw a blurb on the TV that they got the rain and flash freeze already in Manitoba, and some people are skating on the highways.  :w00t: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/skating-icy-manitoba-highway-1.4483621

At the gym, I did 25 min of interval work, then 25 min of core and other body parts strength work. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 8

I went to the gym this morning at 8am and it was +12 C or 54 F and raining outside!! Most of the snow is gone, too. The ice on the canal and ponds is causing major fog. It's freaky.  And it's supposed to go right back down to freezing and 6+ inches of snow for tomorrow.  :leaving:   I saw a blurb on the TV that they got the rain and flash freeze already in Manitoba, and some people are skating on the highways.  :w00t:

At the gym, I did 25 min of interval work, then 25 min of core and other body parts strength work. 

It's freakishly warm here too.  Which I'm glad about because it's melting the snow!

Tomorrow morning it's supposed to be a wintry mix though and I have to go out.  Not looking forward to that.

• Like 8

It's freakishly warm here too.  Which I'm glad about because it's melting the snow!

Tomorrow morning it's supposed to be a wintry mix though and I have to go out.  Not looking forward to that.

How are you handling it? This weather changing so drastically is really getting to me. I feel what my boys call 'triggered' like I'm going to just snap and lose it on someone. I felt like I could have punched a lady in the grocery store today because she kept moving her cart too close to me. I'm usually pretty mild mannered out in public, so this was surprising to me. I decided to buy myself some Panda licorice and hunker down at home for the rest of the day. 

Who knows whether ds's biathlon competition will be a go or not tomorrow. The Army Cadets seem very strange to me, and they could well decide to just go ahead and make the kids ski and shoot. They will be shooting laying down, so no one should fall and shoot someone. Maybe they are preparing to ship in loads of snow for skiing. Life is kind of nutty sometimes.

• Like 6

I am feeling weird, very tired and sleepy. I didn't do anything on Wednesday, except a couple of sets of hanging knee raises. Yesterday, I took a private lesson, but I couldn't really concentrate on what I was doing. Skipped my usual tennis ball practice after the lesson. Today I am still sleepy and tired. I may drive the kids, but not sure if I will fence myself. On the bright side, my back is much better :) It was actually also weird. For 2 or 3 days it felt like my entire spine was inflamed, then it just disappeared, only the usual slight discomfort in certain poses left.

• Like 5

Last night, I got in bed in the nick of time but then DH woke me up at 5:00 am accidentally and it took me an hour and a half to get back to sleep. I did get in another sleep cycle before going to work a little late. 

Did nada today. I had planned it as moderate cardio but during the window I had open, in which I had planned a nice hike, it poured rain. I've met both minimum cardio goals and strength training for the week, so don't feel bad missing a day. I do want to find something to do tomorrow, though. 

• Like 5

Greta or anyone doing keto--can you point me to a reliable site as far as what foods are allowed, needed, etc? Ds (college student) just texted that he and future dil are on that diet for weight loss and will be here for dinner Sunday. 

I am willing to serve lots of plant fat, but not lots of saturated fat for my own sake and others in the family. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate them! 

ETA: I looked at the foods on healthline. 

Future dil recently had a reaction to mussels so I want to avoid shellfish. 

Some meals I normally serve: 

1. Fish tacos without tacos or rice: 

Marinated cod (marinade includes lime juice--is that okay) with lots of spices (I assume they are okay?) and garlic (is that okay?) served with red cabbage slaw (thinly sliced red cabbage with lime juice only) and avocado. 

2. Salmon, salad (they prefer romaine to spinach) with olive oil and rice vinegar (I think that has less sugar than others) What else would I serve with that? They have been very big eaters with tons of carbs, so I feel like I should have something more. I just made homemade vegetable soup but I am guessing there may be too many tomatoes, corn, and peas for extremely low carb. (There is not a lot of corn or peas, just some in there.)  She loves cauliflower. Is roasted cauliflower okay with some minced garlic and some olive oil? 

I have lots of nuts. Always have avocados around. And olive oil. 

I have Greek yogurt, but mine is fat free. I'm thinking though that there would be too many carbs even if I bought full fat. 

3. Cajun chicken (I cook without skins) --chicken thighs seasoned with cajun seasoning, greens  (like cooked spinach) and I usually serve rice. I could do the cauliflower instead. 

4. Frittata with lots of veges. I usually make it with cheese for them and avocado. 

I also have other veges in the freezer: green beans, lots of zucchini , yellow squash, and spaghetti squash. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 5

I did a really sweatty exercise video today for the first time in maybe a year - since I hurt my knee doing barre. Yay! I was careful to keep it less intense than I tend to, and now I'm going to spend the next 20 minutes rolling/stretching/knee-strengthening.

I'm heading back to my PT to follow up on my knee exercises Monday and will be talking with her about upping some of the core stuff, so I'm excited about that. I'm also going to ask about starting up barre again. I love doing barre enough that I look forward to it, and there aren't many exercises I can say that about.

Emily

• Like 6

After some thinking, I drank a latte, ate a bit, and got myself to the club thinking that I should try to stay for at least 30 minutes. The first couple of bouts were brutal, but after I warmed up, I actually felt much better and ended up fencing for an hour and a half. Not sure if I'll be able to sleep after coffee at 6, but I feel great right now.

• Like 6

Today is a rest day, which sounds so stupid because I have a lot to do.  :tongue_smilie:

Last night, my daughters and I talked about them coming to the gym with me.  I'm both excited and worried.  I feel like it will be extra accountability to get there, but will the time spent focusing on them distract me?  For now, I'm just going to alternate which one I take with me to see if they're really into it before adding additional memberships.  It should be interesting!

• Like 6

Greta or anyone doing keto--can you point me to a reliable site as far as what foods are allowed, needed, etc? Ds (college student) just texted that he and future dil are on that diet for weight loss and will be here for dinner Sunday. 

I am willing to serve lots of plant fat, but not lots of saturated fat for my own sake and others in the family. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate them! 

Marinated cod (marinade includes lime juice--is that okay) with lots of spices (I assume they are okay?) and garlic (is that okay?) served with red cabbage slaw (thinly sliced red cabbage with lime juice only) and avocado. 

2. Salmon, salad (they prefer romaine to spinach) with olive oil and rice vinegar (I think that has less sugar than others) What else would I serve with that? They have been very big eaters with tons of carbs, so I feel like I should have something more. I just made homemade vegetable soup but I am guessing there may be too many tomatoes, corn, and peas for extremely low carb. (There is not a lot of corn or peas, just some in there.)  She loves cauliflower. Is roasted cauliflower okay with some minced garlic and some olive oil? 

I have Greek yogurt, but mine is fat free. I'm thinking though that there would be too many carbs even if I bought full fat. 

3. Cajun chicken (I cook without skins) --chicken thighs seasoned with cajun seasoning, greens  (like cooked spinach) and I usually serve rice. I could do the cauliflower instead. 

4. Frittata with lots of veges. I usually make it with cheese for them and avocado. 

I also have other veges in the freezer: green beans, lots of zucchini , yellow squash, and spaghetti squash. 

All of your meals sound excellent! I frequently make chicken taco salad bowls - my boys have their chicken tacos wrapped in actual tortilla and dh and I have ours over salad. Spices are great - garlic is great. The whole things sound so good! Avocado will give them the added fat. The salmon salad also sounds amazing. Roasted cauliflower would be awesome.

I wouldn't eat fat free yogurt. But everything else you are talking about here sounds great. It's so thoughtful of you to put so much effort into supporting their diet! It will mean a lot to them to be able to spend time with you and eat well without compromising :)

• Like 3

I ran 10km this morning and felt great! I was able to keep up better with my group, so that was nice. It was 11 degrees celsius here so a big change from the sub-zero temperatures we've been having. It was nice to run without a jacket. 

I am really struggling with weight loss still. Only down half a pound from last week. It's hard to wrap my head around. I know I am in the last stretch - I probably have about 13lbs to lose - something like that, anyway. I understand it's going to be slow. It just feels unreasonably slow. 

• Like 6

This all sounds perfect.  I wouldn't have eaten the fat-free yogurt when I was keto, but I wouldn't have eaten full-fat yogurt either to be honest (I made my own creme fraiche) so I wouldn't worry about that.  Everything else you asked about (lime, garlic, cauliflower, etc.) is great on a ketogenic menu.  If you need some more ideas, you could check out Linda's Low Carb website.  I used that constantly when I was eating keto.  But what you have here sounds excellent - no need to change it.  

Salmon and a big salad would have been a complete meal for me when I was doing keto, so I don't think you necessarily need to add to it.  But the roasted cauliflower does sound great, and is perfect for keto.  If you're baking the salmon, then I'd say go for that.  If you're grilling the salmon, you could grill some zucchini spears with it.  The vegetable soup sounds lovely, but I wouldn't have eaten it when I was new to the diet and still trying to make sure by body was in full ketosis (i.e. to lose weight and not just maintain).

You are very kind to adapt your usual menu for them.  I'm sure they will really appreciate it!  I hope that you all have a lovely time.

• Like 4

I am really frustrated and trying not to be.

Remember how I said that my weight jumped up, well it has stayed there persistently and inched up more. My indiscretions were apple crisp (homemade grainfree for whatever that's worth) and some dark chocolate, that's it not some huge things for days on end. 2 days of crisp and 2 days of chocolate. And now I'm up to that number I'd been trying to avoid. I've had no massive changes to account for 3+ lbs in a week. I'm watching salt intake. I've had just a bit of soreness, not a ton. I'm past ovulation, which is generally when it is easier for me to lose weight, I made it through my period and ovulation with only those small indiscretions.

I'm rather exasperated with seeing the scale inch down over weeks(little blips up and down but trending down) and then jump up one day and then continue to inch. I'm certain my labs are off but still no word from the NP. I'm thinking I'm going to have to schedule with the other NP that I don't really care for just to get labs done, it has been 4 months now. Now, I'm thinking there is another month+ inching down to get to where I was last week?

Can it be stress? Last week was rough and we've got a lot going on. I've had a few nights rough sleep (due to stress) but mostly doing ok (I'm taking melatonin to help) and have great sleep hygiene (early to bed, no lights or devices in bedroom at all, house cool to sleep)

I'm trying to stay focused, eat the good foods and move but UGH

That is so discouraging when that happens  . :grouphug:

I'll bet it is temporary even though it's been a few days.  

Disturbed sleep can definitely switch your hormones around to "store it!" mode but they should switch back once you're back to your routine. 

I have to eat low salt for health reasons, and I have discovered that it's not the salt on top that is an issue (either that you sprinkle on or visible on chips, for instance, that is the problem but that increased salt hides in anything in a jar or box or restaurant meal! Condiments are full of salt including mustard, hot sauce, etc. Anyway, I encourage you to keep monitoring salt carefully and to drink a lot of water and see if you can flush out any excess water weight that way. (If your body is getting plenty, it apparently feels less of a need to store it.) 

Anyway, till the scale turns around, it might be helpful to focus on all the good things within your control that you are actually doing to be healthy and on all the things your body can do. 

• Like 4

That is so discouraging when that happens  . :grouphug:

I'll bet it is temporary even though it's been a few days.  

Disturbed sleep can definitely switch your hormones around to "store it!" mode but they should switch back once you're back to your routine. 

I have to eat low salt for health reasons, and I have discovered that it's not the salt on top that is an issue (either that you sprinkle on or visible on chips, for instance, that is the problem but that increased salt hides in anything in a jar or box or restaurant meal! Condiments are full of salt including mustard, hot sauce, etc. Anyway, I encourage you to keep monitoring salt carefully and to drink a lot of water and see if you can flush out any excess water weight that way. (If your body is getting plenty, it apparently feels less of a need to store it.) 

Anyway, till the scale turns around, it might be helpful to focus on all the good things within your control that you are actually doing to be healthy and on all the things your body can do. 

Thank you for the encouragement.

I have been trying to up my water, I know I tend to slack on drinking enough. I rarely eat out, I think it has been 3 wks since the last time maybe. I do sometimes eat condiments but not a ton, mostly I season with salt, pepper, herbs, and spices. I generally avoid processed food, a lot has gluten anyway. BUT I am a liberal salter, for a good while I needed extra salt due to low blood pressure and would even drink salt water. Now I don't really need it but I've got to adjust my taste buds, which is taking some time. 

I looked up the Dash diet rec's.I looked on the condiments I have and use but most seem pretty low (60-80 mg). But I do see the spaghetti sauce and bbq sauce are a fair amount of the rec'd amounts, so I'll keep that in mind with serving sizes- spaghetti is often a once a week thing, bbq sauce is more of a summer thing. OH, and I sometimes have canned beans, I need to make sure I rinse those.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

Thank you for the encouragement.

I have been trying to up my water, I know I tend to slack on drinking enough. I rarely eat out, I think it has been 3 wks since the last time maybe. I do sometimes eat condiments but not a ton, mostly I season with salt, pepper, herbs, and spices. I generally avoid processed food, a lot has gluten anyway. BUT I am a liberal salter, for a good while I needed extra salt due to low blood pressure and would even drink salt water. Now I don't really need it but I've got to adjust my taste buds, which is taking some time. 

I looked up the Dash diet rec's.I looked on the condiments I have and use but most seem pretty low (60-80 mg). But I do see the spaghetti sauce and bbq sauce are a fair amount of the rec'd amounts, so I'll keep that in mind with serving sizes- spaghetti is often a once a week thing, bbq sauce is more of a summer thing. OH, and I sometimes have canned beans, I need to make sure I rinse those.

If your overall weight trend has been down or even flat, I wouldn't  freak out too much. Winter is a tough season. Weather is crazy, life is busy, colds and flu are common. Our bodies have a lot to keep them busy just fighting to survive it all. Be a little gentle and patient with yourself.  You are doing great!  Maybe splash out and go get a relaxing massage.

• Like 5

Friday was a rest day and then today was going to be cross training. But I was up early to get all three kids to winter soccer training and then my sleep seeking brain thought, “You know, you’re not supposed to try new things this close to race day.†Which said brain also thought sounded very reasonable and totally wise and not at all lazy. :p I usually try to spread rest days out a bit more, but the warm weather meant I ran four days in a row. Tomorrow is the end of the training week and I’ll run 6 miles. It will be in the single digits so I’m betting dh will successfully convince me to run it on the treadmill.

I have already begun checking the future weather forecast every day. I am aware that lots will change between now and the 20th. I will continue checking it anyway. It’s a thing, lol.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 5

I went for a showshoe around foresty parts of the local neighbourhood. It was pretty darn cold with the windchill (-21 F), so I didn't linger long. I did enjoy the sun on my face for a few brief moments. I don't think the power of the sun was quite enough to off-set the freezing force of the wind, though. ;)

Tomorrow morning dh and I are playing mixed doubles tennis with friends!! I can't wait!  There is something magical about running around in a very big space indoors (tennis bubble) wearing shorts and t-shirt, when it's -20 outside.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

I thought I would walk/jog outside today but it turned out to be too cold for my liking. I ended up with a brief upper body workout. I was disappointed to find that I have really gone backwards with regard to push-ups. I haven't done them since before Christmas, but thought that working on the chest press machine at the gym would at least be maintenance. I was even able to go up in weight on the machine. 

Monday, the gym will be closed so I'll do another in-home workout. It may be warm enough to get outside to walk as well 

• Like 5

As I expected, I didn't get a good night sleep after that coffee, but I could sleep in today, so I had enough energy to do a full body workout for a whole hour. I managed to add some reps on some movements, so that is good. Unfortunately, my left elbow was very picky about my position. I think it prefers diamond pushups, which seem to be further in progression line but feels easier to me and less chances of it getting out of alignment.

• Like 4

I think it prefers diamond pushups, which seem to be further in progression line but feels easier to me and less chances of it getting out of alignment.

I find it interesting which types of push-ups people prefer. When I was in Taekwon-Do, we had to do all kinds of different push=ups, and I found that I liked changing up positions after 10 push-ups. My favourite ones were regular arms, with one foot on top of the other. We'd always do a bunch with with the right foot on bottom, then another bunch with the left foot on bottom. So I always felt like there was a "rest" in there somewhere. ;)  

One guy only did knuckle push-ups because he couldn't put his hands flat on the ground. He didn't have the wrist flexibility. But he could do those knuckle push-ups forever, while I hate knuckles. I couldn't even do more than 2 or 3 knuckle ones.

• Like 4

I did a bad thing.

(And I say that as someone who generally doesn't approve of that kind of phrasing in this context.)

After 9 out of 10 days of planned, intentional, motivated, healthy eating, I went overboard on the junk yesterday.  I was supposed to be attending a party, so I already wasn't pretending it was going to be a chicken and brown rice kind of day, lol, but we wound up not going to the party.  Instead of just a heavier meal and birthday cake, I wound up noshing on random things at home all day, including straight up, no room for debate, junk food.

I'm glad to be able to say that I'm not beating myself up all that much, emotionally.  However, my digestive system is giving me the riot act!!!  Here's hoping it calms down before I give up on my plan to switch my Monday workout to today!

• Like 4

I did my measurements which I hadn't messed with in a while and made some realistic goals there, so I'm just not focused on the scale. I'd like to lose an inch on my waist but 2-3 on my hips. I'm a curvy gal, especially after this last baby. Dh quite likes the curves, I'd like a bit less, bras are hard to find and my hips are voluminous :) Dh asked me last night if I was wearing the same pants I had on that morning. I replied yes, he said I was watching you this morning and thinking, "D*mn, your butt is HUGE!" Seriously, he said that he meant it in a, "it's hot way, I want to take a picture." He didn't quite get that could be, um, insulting! (I told him if we took a poll on that I would win by a landslide) Of course, knowing that I'm curvy I'm also working on weighted squats, but whatever. I think squats are hella important and I don't mind the size so much with strength. 

I did squats and rows yesterday, I was supposed to do deadlifts too but I need more weight and don't feel my form is quite right with the KB. I think I'm going to switch things up a bit, add in some more exercises (it will be full body 2 days, same exercises instead of alternating 2 different workouts but keeping the same core moves).I'm researching plans now to see what I want to add to my routine, I've done 4 wks of the program I'm on (8 wks to go). 

I'm able to make it to the gym 2 days easily but doing 3 days would mean a further tweaking of the schedule, we go to town Mon, Tues, Thurs, & Fri but Mon. and Fri. I have the kids and the gym I go to doesn't have babysitting. I don't want to add in Wed, the gym I'm using now takes nearly 30 minutes to get there. So, I'm thinking about adding more to the Tues and Thurs I am there and not worrying so much about getting a third day, at least not for the time being. Maybe I can just play with some bodyweight stuff on the weekends or do KB stuff. Perhaps when spring comes I'll switch to a gym closer (in the winter I like this one b/c it has the pool) or maybe I'll decide I like this routine and keep with it. It has been great going to this gym to start back because it is generally dead, I've only seen people using the treadmill and rower, so it has been a good place to get used to all of it again, and the other gyms would be crazy crowded right now anyway, making things 10x worse.

I'd like a walk today but I've been having difficulty motivating myself with the cloudy drizzly weather, maybe I can convince dh to come with me. We've got another 3 days and then the sun is supposed to come out, even if it is still below freezing. No walk yesterday but I stayed busy all day cleaning and organizing. I didn't stop until 4 for visiting with the inlaws and church. I don't know what we'll do today, it is a nice relaxing family day with no plans, but there is always things to do. I might try to do some food prep for the week ahead, maybe mop, or maybe both or neither.

OH, and my arm has not been hurting!!!! This is huge. I don't know if it is because I'm trying to limit computer time or the strength training or a bit of both but i'm thrilled.

If your overall weight trend has been down or even flat, I wouldn't  freak out too much. Winter is a tough season. Weather is crazy, life is busy, colds and flu are common. Our bodies have a lot to keep them busy just fighting to survive it all. Be a little gentle and patient with yourself.  You are doing great!  Maybe splash out and go get a relaxing massage.

That's the thing with my thyroid wonky it does jump like that, so it jumping up is a possible sign that things are out of whack again, which makes this whole process 10x harder. But I'm trying to think positive thoughts and focus on good habits, although I've got to get my labs done, thyroid and hormone and my vitamin levels. 

Friday was a rest day and then today was going to be cross training. But I was up early to get all three kids to winter soccer training and then my sleep seeking brain thought, “You know, you’re not supposed to try new things this close to race day.†Which said brain also thought sounded very reasonable and totally wise and not at all lazy. :p I usually try to spread rest days out a bit more, but the warm weather meant I ran four days in a row. Tomorrow is the end of the training week and I’ll run 6 miles. It will be in the single digits so I’m betting dh will successfully convince me to run it on the treadmill.

I have already begun checking the future weather forecast every day. I am aware that lots will change between now and the 20th. I will continue checking it anyway. It’s a thing, lol.

I think taking off was reasonable and not lazy. Dh is doing cold weather camping next weekend and is anxiously eyeing the forecast too, it is showing rain here, hopefully, you have a better forecast.

I thought I would walk/jog outside today but it turned out to be too cold for my liking. I ended up with a brief upper body workout. I was disappointed to find that I have really gone backwards with regard to push-ups. I haven't done them since before Christmas, but thought that working on the chest press machine at the gym would at least be maintenance. I was even able to go up in weight on the machine. 

Monday, the gym will be closed so I'll do another in-home workout. It may be warm enough to get outside to walk as well 

It is a lot easier to lose strength than to gain it but you've got muscle memory in your favor.

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

I did my measurements which I hadn't messed with in a while and made some realistic goals there, so I'm just not focused on the scale. I'd like to lose an inch on my waist but 2-3 on my hips. I'm a curvy gal, especially after this last baby. Dh quite likes the curves, I'd like a bit less, bras are hard to find and my hips are voluminous :)

OMG, the freedom to just grab an every day bra at Target would be incredible!!!

(Once in a blue moon, I can luck out at Walmart.  Which has taught me much about target (little t, and I guess big T) demographics, iykwim.)

• Like 4

OMG, the freedom to just grab an every day bra at Target would be incredible!!!

(Once in a blue moon, I can luck out at Walmart.  Which has taught me much about target (little t, and I guess big T) demographics, iykwim.)

For sure, last time I was at Ross' I searched through their bras, not sure why I bothered, I can never find my band and cup combo on the rack. I did order one off Amazon a few weeks back and it is decent. I need a white racer back too, my last one bit the dust, so I really just have the 1 that fits me right now, other than my old nursing bra, I haven't nursed in 3 yrs but it was the nicest bra I've ever bought! Good bras can be so expensive though, I need to see what I can find around town, maybe after tax returns I can take some money and get a couple more (ideally I'd like a black one too, so I had beige, white, and black).

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Well, typical me, I pushed myself too hard and now my body is rebelling and now I'm sick. Woke up yesterday with a sore throat, swollen glands, and popping ears. I pushed through it as I had a bunch of moving-related stuff that was bugging me and needed to be dealt with, so lifting lots of boxes, rearranging stuff from room to room, etc. I basically didn't sleep at all last night, but have a bunch of church-related responsibilities until about 1:00 today. But after that, I'm coming home and sleeping for several hours to hopefully prevent this from turning into the full-blown sick that I typically get when I push myself too hard. Ugh!

• Like 4

is there still an active wtm fitbit group? I tried pm'ing ocelotmom but she's been away from the boards. If anyone is on the group and can invite me, pm me & I'll send you my email.... 

I've got Zumba this morning. No Zumba yesterday as that instructor is off with a sprained ankle :( 

I've been more diligent with a morning yoga practice and am totally feeling it in the hamstrings. Sitting around for a month and just doing sloppy stretches was not a good idea. 

Oh & re the weight loss plateaus, all I've ever heard is that barring hormonal issues/side effects from meds, you need to tweak the kitchen because usually you can't outrun your fork. I hate having to downregulate calories but that's been the only thing that's worked for me. 

• Like 4

is there still an active wtm fitbit group? I tried pm'ing ocelotmom but she's been away from the boards. If anyone is on the group and can invite me, pm me & I'll send you my email.... 

I've got Zumba this morning. No Zumba yesterday as that instructor is off with a sprained ankle :( 

I've been more diligent with a morning yoga practice and am totally feeling it in the hamstrings. Sitting around for a month and just doing sloppy stretches was not a good idea. 

Oh & re the weight loss plateaus, all I've ever heard is that barring hormonal issues/side effects from meds, you need to tweak the kitchen because usually you can't outrun your fork. I hate having to downregulate calories but that's been the only thing that's worked for me. 

Sometimes yoga can overstretch the hamstrings, so be mindful there (said as a yoga teacher).

re: weight loss I do have hormonal issues and thyroid disease, so it is not some made up excuse, I haven't been able to get my levels tested because my NP is switching practices.

• Like 6

Planning for this coming week: 

My new tracker should arrive tomorrow or maybe Tuesday. I went with a Garmin Vivofit 2 instead of the Misfit .(I missed the sale on the Shine, Greta!)  My goal will be to break up periods of sitting on my butt for long stretches, usually in front of the computer  At work, I have tried a set of 10 squats between students and also doing some rotator cuff exercises . I hope having the feedback will help with that. 

Mon: toughest day: gym closed and too cold for wimpy me to walk outside. 'I will at least do a strength workout: Push-ups, rows, plank, hamstring curls on ball, and side-stepping with resistance bands. I saw but haven't looked a Nia Shanks article with several ways to make goblet squats harder so I'm going to look at that. Because of limited range of motion, I can't do back squats and goblet squats really hurt my hands, so maybe this is a different way to progress.  Flexibility. 

Tues: Outdoor day!  Walk/jog   Flexibility. 

Wed: Zumba if it doesn't snow   Flexibility. 

Thu: Strength training at gym. Since the chest press is not maintaining my push-up strength, I'm going to do those at home in addition to the gym workout.  Flexibility. 

Fri: outdoor day! Walk/jog'  Flexibility. 

Sat: strength & moderate outdoor cardio  Flexibility. 

I am trying to get back into the flexibility habit! I only had it for a couple months. Note to self: When you played hammer dulcimer music while doing it, you really liked it! It felt really good, So do it! 

• Like 5

Got my 6miles in on the treadmill this morning. Today is the first time since coming down with the cold the kids had that I felt more like my usual self while running. Previous runs post-cold have felt sluggish and I had to keep the pace down in order for my heart rate to stay in zone. On to the taper! By this time next week I’ll be putting the last training cycle to bed and starting a brand new one! :D

• Like 5

I am very sore from yesterday (who knew pull ups, even horizontal, work all upper body, including chest and back :lol: ), but I still wanted to do some intervals on the bike. Unfortunately, the day was crazy with DS's competition and I am just too tired now to do anything. I am still keeping up with my plant to workout 5 times a week though. Tomorrow is a private lesson in the morning and open fencing in the evening.

• Like 3