Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Happy New Year

Granny_Weatherwax

It makes knowing what to do confusing.  But my takeaway from such things (referring to the thing Carol in Cal posted), is that probably there is no magical perfect number for everyone.  And there are so many factors (some of which we cannot control at all).  My weight is right on the edge of what I'm told by some chart is an ok weight, but not well below that and sometimes above that by a few pounds.  I only use the charts as a very rough guideline. I have noticed a massive difference in terms of how I have felt (compared with) prior to losing weight and that's balanced by the fact I do not suffer to maintain it.  So that seems like a sweet spot to me.

There are always some trolls who post some "ideal weight" chart in some of the low carb groups I frequent.  It truly is just clickbait, but they always post the absolute lowest number of the healthy weight range (or below that).  That sends people into a tizzy.  People start arguing over ideal weight and those who are on the low end tell the ones on the higher end that they are only jealous of the lower end (and other such nonsense).  I just roll my eyes.  I don't need to justify what makes me feel best whatever that may be.  And it's really nasty to dangle that in front of people who would do better even if all they lost was 10 pounds, but now feel completely overwhelmed by reaching a weight they had in junior high school. 

Or the other way around.  This nastiness goes both ways. 

I think the bolded is a good way to use charts, etc---as guidelines. If you know you are incredibly muscular, then BMI is not going to be a good measure of healthy weight  for instance because it's based on average muscle-fat-bone percentages. Muscle is good tissue to have metabolically and visceral fat is not.  BMI is only a rough estimate really. Some in the medical community are switching from BMI to waist circumference compared to height, which gets more clearly at visceral fat, which I don't think there is any debate about: more is not good.  But the study I posted used available data and with height and weight on patient charts, it gives them access to the data.

I am not too keen on someone measuring my waist, personally speaking, the scale isn't quite as touchy-feely, but I know that would be a better measure overall. 

• Like 6

She looked at herself and asked how she could lose 10 pounds (not in terms of how to actually lose them but where would they come from, she has healthy outlook at weight). My only answer was muscle. She did gymnastics since she was 6, and has well-developed muscles all over her body. I never exercised and had no muscles to speak of. I probably had more fat than she does, which is another reason why BMI is not a reliable indicator, especially in the normal/overweight ranges (and further up for some categories of people).

During the 2014 and 2016 Winter and Summer Olympics I was looking up various athletes' stats, and had some good laughs at the height and weight ranges for the various sports. The light-weights are the long-distance runners, who don't want to carry an once of extra weight than they need to, vs the sprinters from various sports who need lots of muscles for generating speed over very short distances. The weight lifters are in a category of their own. ;)  The athletes with the most "normal" height and weight ratios were the pistol and rifle shooters. ;)

The US Olympic association website doesn't always include athletes' height and weight, but the Canadian one does, though you have to convert metric measurments: https://olympic.ca/athletes/

• Like 6

Checking in because I need to join in and be accountable.

I'm aiming to do the yoga with Adriene TRUE series.

Did day 1 today. Have been doing more walking as well and hope to keep that up.

I am so impressed with all the sit-ups and running you guys are doing but for me this is a good starting point I think.

• Like 8

I am so impressed with all the sit-ups and running you guys are doing but for me this is a good starting point I think.

The very most important thing, I think, is to find what works for you. We're all different!  Welcome! 

• Like 7

Well today was more activity than exercise. I took the dog for walks totalling about 2 miles. I helped 19 yo move back into her dorm. That involved lots of carrying heavy objects 1/4 mile, through snow, several times. I'm at 12,000 steps so active enough. I did have bread sticks and pizza though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 7

There are always some trolls who post some "ideal weight" chart in some of the low carb groups I frequent.  It truly is just clickbait, but they always post the absolute lowest number of the healthy weight range (or below that).  That sends people into a tizzy.  People start arguing over ideal weight and those who are on the low end tell the ones on the higher end that they are only jealous of the lower end (and other such nonsense).  I just roll my eyes.  I don't need to justify what makes me feel best whatever that may be.  And it's really nasty to dangle that in front of people who would do better even if all they lost was 10 pounds, but now feel completely overwhelmed by reaching a weight they had in junior high school. 

Or the other way around.  This nastiness goes both ways. 

It's annoying and frustrating to me, and I'm guessing it's really stressful for people who are less confident and more unsure.

I've been an unhealthy "normal" and a pretty healthy "overweight". While I can appreciate general guidelines, it's important to remember that they're generalized, and I am a specific person.

Got my butt to the gym today. The first 5 minutes on the elliptical felt absolutely awful for some reason, but then I found my groove.  Added a low row (weights, not rowing machine) to upper body for the first time in my life, so I may feel like dying tomorrow, lol.

Sadly, I think I may be allergic to something in the gym. Most likely mold, since it's in a building that I know had mold before they moved in.  I think it'll be fine if I keep my workouts under an hour, but it's a real bummer.

• Like 5

Sadly, I think I may be allergic to something in the gym. Most likely mold, since it's in a building that I know had mold before they moved in.  I think it'll be fine if I keep my workouts under an hour, but it's a real bummer.

Can you take an anti-histamine or puffer along with you to the gym and swallow it when the symptoms are especially bad?  I do this at church, as the dust can get really bad and I lead music. I know I'll start sneezing and coughing, making it challenging to sing, so I'll take my allergy meds when I get to the church. It's especially bad when they been pulling out seasonal decorations with loads of dust. 

• Like 4

Well, officially my tablet is DEAD. I ordered a new one and it should be here on Wednesday. I'm not sure I can go to the gym without it. LOL I know that probably sounds lame as heck, but seriously...

It does not sound lame at all! How else is one going to treadmill or elliptical? Or bike inside for that matter. The struggle is real!

• Like 5

Well, officially my tablet is DEAD.  I ordered a new one and it should be here on Wednesday.  I'm not sure I can go to the gym without it.  LOL  I know that probably sounds lame as heck, but seriously...

I get your pain!  I can rarely get my Netflix or  Youtube to work at the gym with their wifi, so I watch the TV with whatever channel happens to be on. It can be hilarious reading the mistake-ridden text or beyond boring looking at football highlights. I'm used to running being a kind of mindless moment of peace from the house, though. I never listen to music when running outside, but at least outdoors there are new things to look at along the run. ;) 

• Like 6

It is!  No music...no movies...nothin.  That sounds horrid.

I'd have to resort to studying the dust bunnies on the rafters.  And they aren't very interesting.

I tried reading a magazine on the elliptical once. I forgot to bring my reading glasses, so it was hopeless.  :laugh:

• Like 6

It is! No music...no movies...nothin. That sounds horrid.

I'd have to resort to studying the dust bunnies on the rafters. And they aren't very interesting.

I could maybe power through 20 minutes. Maybe. When I run on the treadmill at Planet Fitness, I can snag a treadmill that looks outside and that helps, but not much. The TVs wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t do it fo me either...too many commercials.

• Like 3

They have the TVs tuned to crap like Fox News.  Ugh... So I don't wanna watch that.

Ask for a remote and change the channel. You pay to be there, so you can be pushy and choose the channel, if you want to put in the effort. I did that when I knew tennis was on tv. Otherwise I don't bother as I have no idea what's on their channels to watch. 

• Like 4

I could maybe power through 20 minutes. Maybe. When I run on the treadmill at Planet Fitness, I can snag a treadmill that looks outside and that helps, but not much. The TVs wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t do it fo me either...too many commercials.

That's where I go PF.  Nothing faces any window though.  Kinda sucky.

• Like 3

Got in my 5 mile long run Saturday. Hoping the weather cooperates to do my full training schedule this week. On the days I can't run I've been doing insanity or Asylum 1. I did beach body's a little obsessed AAA (arms, abs, a**) love using the sliders . I'm looking forward to the full program to be accessible. Have a great week all.

• Like 7

That's where I go PF.  Nothing faces any window though.  Kinda sucky.

I have a window that faces the volleyball/badminton court. It's fun to watch when there are people actually playing. I only see half the court, though. It's better than watching dust bunnies. ;)

• Like 4

Got in my 5 mile long run Saturday. Hoping the weather cooperates to do my full training schedule this week. On the days I can't run I've been doing insanity or Asylum 1. I did beach body's a little obsessed AAA (arms, abs, a**) love using the sliders . I'm looking forward to the full program to be accessible. Have a great week all.

Where do they get these names from?  :laugh:  They sound like dark tv dramas. Next work-out program could be Prison Break 1. 

• Like 4

Oh no! My body is feeling cold symptoms again suddenly this morning. 3 of the dc were sick yesterday and still sick today. I really want to go skiing. It's been snowing a lot, so the trails may not be groomed, and it's still pretty cold and windy. May have to delay skiing until tomorrow.

• Like 5

Where do they get these names from?  :laugh:  They sound like dark tv dramas. Next work-out program could be Prison Break 1. 

My new program is based on Convict Conditioning, a required prequel to Prison Break 1 :laugh: 

Oh no! My body is feeling cold symptoms again suddenly this morning. 3 of the dc were sick yesterday and still sick today. I really want to go skiing. It's been snowing a lot, so the trails may not be groomed, and it's still pretty cold and windy. May have to delay skiing until tomorrow.

Sorry about that. Flu is terrible this season, and it seems it keeps coming back in circles for a lot of people. Hope you all feel better soon!

I did day 1 of my new program yesterday. It was good, and I can feel new muscles today. It does need some more tweaking, but I like it overall. Today is a private lesson and open fencing. I feel the routine coming back, and I like it :)

• Like 5

Yeah, I wouldn't make it on the rowing machine for more than 10 minutes without something really engaging to watch. But with a good show that I tell myself I can only watch while rowing, I can go forever!

Wintermom, I'm sorry you are starting to feel sick. Hopefully you can rest today and ward it off before it really hits hard.

I rowed 10,000 meters this morning in about an hour and it felt good. I did absolutely nothing on Saturday and Sunday, so it felt nice to get moving again. The movement on the scale when I row regularly is good motivation, too.

• Like 5

Can you take an anti-histamine or puffer along with you to the gym and swallow it when the symptoms are especially bad?  I do this at church, as the dust can get really bad and I lead music. I know I'll start sneezing and coughing, making it challenging to sing, so I'll take my allergy meds when I get to the church. It's especially bad when they been pulling out seasonal decorations with loads of dust. 

Oh, I hope it doesn't come to that! I don't really get along with anti-histamines 

• Like 1

I just got out for a short snowshoe in our neighbourhood with my ds 11. We explored through the mini-forest in our local park and ds climbed the play structure with snowshoes on. He found it extra challenging, especially going down the slide!   :laugh: The weather is warmer and there is a ton of fresh powder snow. 

My dd and ds 15 were actually skiing right on the roads in our neighbourhood before the plow came. Ds 11 and I got out after the plow, thus we chose to snowshoe instead of risking scratching up our skis. Needless to say, driving conditions are slow. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

I don't spend much time around things I'm allergic to?  I don't have many known allergies beyond excessive mold and latex (which is new and doesn't make me sneeze.)

How can you know about and control all the molds around you, especially outside the home?  Won't you be reacting to mold before you even realize it's in the environment?  My dh is allergic to mold, and there are many different kinds. It's a really tough allergen to avoid altogether.

Edited by wintermom

I have a window that faces the volleyball/badminton court. It's fun to watch when there are people actually playing. I only see half the court, though. It's better than watching dust bunnies. ;)

Oh that's neat.  Yeah literally my view is of dusty rafters.  LOL   I know it's not exactly easy to dust rafters, but it's still kinda gross.

• Like 3

That's where I go PF. Nothing faces any window though. Kinda sucky.

That stinks! MineĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s in a strip mall and has a very nice view of the parking lot and the CVS. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll admit the view isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t all that inspiring. It also has a couple of banks of TVs that go across the width of the room. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a step up from the YMCA I used to go to. These are at least all locked in to specific channels. The YMCAĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s TV all ended up on talking heads and those bizarre channels that focus on Ă¢â‚¬Å“Secrets of the AncientsĂ¢â‚¬ or whatever. I hope your tablet arrives soon! IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d totally lend you mine minus certain physical logistics.

My run today started out well. All I could think was Ă¢â‚¬Å“ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s warm! The sun is out! These new shoes are great! My legs feel so springy!Ă¢â‚¬ Which resulted in running too fast, and then having to walk to bring the intensity down. Before repeating it all again. My pace was all over the place, smh. Ended with 4.37 miles.

For the record, it was Ă¢â‚¬Å“warmĂ¢â‚¬ in the relative sense. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s amazing how warm 30F feels when the two weeks before were consistently below zero windchill with or without windchill.

wintermom - I hope you avoid being too sick and feel better soon! I discovered that me and decongestants donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t get along really well. I definitely have a cold, but it sure beats how I was feeling the last couple of days. Kids definitely need to keep their germs to themselves. ;)

Welcome! Lots of different levels and kinds of activities here, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m sure youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll fit right in!

• Like 7

It's been 3 weeks since I exercised outside. Weather has been the main problem. I thought I would be happy about getting out today as it's supposed to be over 40 for the first time in a few weeks, but the sky is that white kind of cloudy like before it snows and it just looks drab out there. I was hoping to be able to exercise and end with a winter sunset. None of that today!  But I am dressed and typing this to ensure I don't wimp out somehow!  I will take it easy since it's been a while. Will report back. 

Just goes to show how hard it is when your habit has been broken!   (And for me, how affected I am by the weather. Good thing our climate is frequently sunny! )

• Like 6

I started a 30 day yoga challenge. Did day 2 on Saturday night. Spent entire Sunday in bed with a horrendous case of  vertigo, worst I ever had. Finally did the ear maneuvers at night and it subsided, and now I am on restricted activity with neck brace. Can the yoga have triggered the vertigo? Like, downward facing dog dislodged an otholit? I am certainly not trying again in the next few days....

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

I started a 30 day yoga challenge. Did day 2 on Saturday night. Spent entire Sunday in bed with a horrendous case of vertigo, worst I ever had. Finally did the ear maneuvers at night and it subsided, and now I am on restricted activity with neck brace. Can the yoga have triggered the vertigo? Like, downward facing dog dislodged an otholit? I am certainly not trying again in the next few days....

I suppose itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s possible. My Google search sems to think that it could trigger BPPV and does seem to indicate waiting to return to yoga for a week or so. If the inverted poses trigger it again, maybe think about modifying them to skip those invertd ones. I know when I had PF and was doing yoga, downward dog could trigger a return to symptoms all on its own. I stopped doing yoga sometime after that. The same ENT whose website acknowledges a potential link to BPPV does not say that you have to stop altogether, fwiw.

That does not sounds like a pleasant experience.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 4

Done my outside exercise Got in an  hour of walking with 21 minutes of slow jogging. Would have gotten in more, but the dog had also gotten out of the habit of our walk/runs and was stopping to smell everything. She just anchors herself . Most unpleasant so she got taken home. Then I had made the mistake of downing too much coffee, so back home for an additional pit stop!  No sunset but it was better than a treadmill. 

Now I'm changed into my gym clothes so all I have to do is get in the car with the gym bag in hand and drive to the gym. I got new chuck taylors in a color I like (what I wear for lifting weight) so hopefully those will inspire me a bit! 

• Like 6

Back from the gym (weight lifting machines). I tried assisted pull ups for the first time. I think I'm going to work towards doing a real one. It took me over a year to do my first push-up and I would think this might take longer, but it gives me a big goal. 

Felt really good when I was done. And it feels good to have 60 min of cardio plus a strength-training workout in the bag.  :D

Got to sleep last night in time to have gotten 7 1/4 hours sleep. However, I think it was only 6 1/2 due to taking about 15 min or so to go to sleep and waking up about 1/2 hour early. Got to get in bed sooner! 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 6

It was raining today, but I still managed to get out of the house 4 times. Did an hour of a lesson and ball practice in the morning, and then went to fence in the evening. I also got my door gym today and it works! I don't think I'll be encouraging my DH use it, but it holds my weight OK.  I tried it and right now I can't even bend my arms, at all. My program is intended for working on pull ups, push ups, squats, leg raises, and bridges. I think I will skip handstand pushups for now ;) What I like is that it starts from very easy exercises and progresses to very high levels all using pretty much only a pull us bar.   

• Like 6

Where do they get these names from? :laugh: They sound like dark tv dramas. Next work-out program could be Prison Break 1.

Lol. Those at home workouts helped me get fit and loose the weight Ive been wanting to loose and help me keep my sanity....

• Like 4

It was raining today, but I still managed to get out of the house 4 times. Did an hour of a lesson and ball practice in the morning, and then went to fence in the evening. I also got my door gym today and it works! I don't think I'll be encouraging my DH use it, but it holds my weight OK.  I tried it and right now I can't even bend my arms, at all. My program is intended for working on pull ups, push ups, squats, leg raises, and bridges. I think I will skip handstand pushups for now ;) What I like is that it starts from very easy exercises and progresses to very high levels all using pretty much only a pull us bar.   

I was going to suggest you try the "jump" method of doing a pull-up to get motivated.  :laugh:  Then I went to try a pull-up on our bar at home and actually did 2!  I didn't think I could even do 1, so this was a shock. I know I've tried doing them before and really hated them. ;)  You can definitely do it, Olga!! The progressions in your program sound great. 

• Like 4

No walk the last 2 days! Sunday I was out and the place we were out had mold (sometimes it isn't so bad but it was horrible this time) by the time I made it home I felt horrible, plus it was raining and near freezing. Yesterday, when I finally did a moment I just rested, I slept horrifically Sun night, restless until 4 am or so. But I got up and got done what needed done and even managed supper before Scouts. Today the kids have TKD so I should be getting in a workout while they have that, oh and there is dance class tonight if dh is up for it. The weather is icky again so I don't know about a walk, I will try to squeeze it in on the treadmill if I have to.

What is the program called. I was working on handstands for a good while but needed something different.

• Like 4

Anyone have Beachbody on Demand? Do you like it? IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m really considering if itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a good option for me with my coming schedule. I just will not manage to use my Y membership enough to warrant the monthly $56 dollars.

I have it, I love it, I use it just about everyday. Best $100 I've ever spent. I can have my workout done in the time it takes me to get to a gym and back.

Edited by lynn
  • Like 6

I have it, I love it, I use it just about everyday. Best $100 I've ever spent. I can have my workout done in the time it takes me to get to a gym and back.

Great review! What kind of additional equipment do you think I would need for the higher intensity stuff? IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m at a higher than average fitness level.

• Like 4

I just got back from the gym. My trainer has me doing more weights and no more circuit-type stuff. I find I'm really enjoying the challenge of lifting, plus, he was playing 90's hip hop and rap, so it was all music from my teen years. Very motivating.

I stayed in yesterday. I was supposed to get out for a 5km run, but it was so cold and windy and I just didn't want to. I have a training run with my running group tonight and then I'll break my fast. 

I feel like I'm doing a lot, which makes me think I should be seeing a faster drop in pounds, but I have to keep reminding myself that it's difficult to actually get the pounds off and I need to just keep doing the right things day after day after day. All those days finally do add up. 

• Like 6

Son of a gun, it's finally warming up! It's gone from -37 to -17 F with the windchill already. Life is pretty bad when -17 is "warmer."   :crying:    Personally, I'm holding off on outdoor exercise until it hits at least 15 F. I'm being choosy.  :lol:  The plan is to get out skiing later today. We shall see...

Again, it's like we are weather twins.  Walking the dog has been positively pleasant the last two days.

It is!  No music...no movies...nothin.  That sounds horrid.

I'd have to resort to studying the dust bunnies on the rafters.  And they aren't very interesting.

I used to stare at the dust bunnies in the rafters (and the random balls stuck up there too) when we were stretching after classes.  And then one year they did construction on the roof and all the dust bunnies and balls starting raining down on us whenever they were jackhammering.  It was highly unpleasant.  And showed just how much dust was collecting up there.

Went to the gym with some friends on Sunday.  We did run/walk intervals for 20 minutes, an ab workout, arm workout and leg workout followed by stretches.  It was nice and relaxed.  Really felt it in the shoulders.

Gym this morning.  Decided to run and not do anything else.  Aimed for 30 minutes with a run 4 laps/walk 1 lap pace and it worked well (have previously been running 2 laps/walking 1).  But I think my face is still bright red over 2 hours later.  I have certainly drunk almost my full allotment of water for the day already.  

I have a volleyball game tonight so might need to sneak in a nap this afternoon.

• Like 6