Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Happy New Year

Granny_Weatherwax

The only weekly thread I can ever be consistent in has been the book a week thread. I'm hoping to change that by consistently posting in this one too.

I joined WW just before Christmas and then had a "What have I done?" moment. Right before Christmas??? But I've lost almost 2 pounds and that was with holiday splurges. My goal is to go slow and steady and try to lose 1/2 pound a week. I want to lose 25 pounds. Once I meet that, the goal will be maintenance.

I've done well this week, even though Florida had a freeze and I couldn't get outside for my walk. Some of you would laugh your heads off to think that 52F degrees  is too cold to walk outdoors but I'm a wimpy Floridian. (Ds won't take the outside lights down yet because he said he'll "freeze to death on the roof" lol). Anyway, I've been doing indoor walking videos that equate to 2 mile walks.

I've kept to my WW points for the most part. A few times I've gone over the daily limit, but so far haven't used up all the weekly points. 

I'm also wearing my smart watch even at home and trying to get in 10K steps. Mostly yes, 8-9K a few days this week.

I really enjoy this thread but sometimes feel guilty silly about participating when my exercise is so much less than everyone else's... but small is good for me!

Small goals:

water every day

no sugar

track my eating

get a tiny bit of exercise (to start)

My goals are small too. Let's decide that no goals are too small.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 9

4 miles on the treadmill at a very easy pace because while I’m not 100%, it’s definitely more I’ve got a cold than anything else. So far the forecast is holding with a break in the frigid pattern with 30s on Sunday which is good as that’s when I’m running the very last long run in this training cycle. I hate feeling under-prepared, but it is what it is.

• Like 7

I absolutely agree with this. Even the very smallest changes, done consistently, can add up to make a big difference.

I rowed just over 7000 meters this morning but was just not feeling it, so I went super slow. But slow is ok, because it's better than not at all.

Weekends are always when I seem to fall off the wagon diet-wise. I have a feeling of "I made it through another crazy week so now I have earned a treat." Except then I start over again every Monday and never make much progress. I'm going to try to keep myself busy and too distracted to give into those feelings this weekend.

Edited: typo

Edited by PinkTulip
  • Like 9

My goals for this year are to lose weight (have been afraid to weigh myself, but I'm thinking I probably need to lose at least 20 pounds), get back to eating a very clean/whole foods diet (I like eating this way but I just didn't have the time to dedicate to it this past year), and getting a toned body. So far so good. I started Tuesday and have worked out every day. I'm shooting for 45 min of cardio and focused exercises for legs, abs, and arms daily. I have done cardio each day and two of the three days have done the exercises. I've been eating great as well. The fact that I have few clothes that fit is a good incentive for me :)

• Like 8

Tennis with dh was a lot of fun. I tried out my new tennis shoes, and they were awesome!  We tried out a new indoor tennis facility. It was nice, but a long walk in the cold between the clubhouse and the tennis bubble. Brrrrr!

Tomorrow is supposed to be crazy cold again, so I'll take a rest day. Monday and Tuesday I'll be skiing, as long as the weather actually works out as the forecast predicts. ;)

• Like 6

The only weekly thread I can ever be consistent in has been the book a week thread. I'm hoping to change that by consistently posting in this one too.

I joined WW just before Christmas and then had a "What have I done?" moment. Right before Christmas??? But I've lost almost 2 pounds and that was with holiday splurges. My goal is to go slow and steady and try to lose 1/2 pound a week. I want to lose 25 pounds. Once I meet that, the goal will be maintenance.

I've done well this week, even though Florida had a freeze and I couldn't get outside for my walk. Some of you would laugh your heads off to think that 52F degrees  is too cold to walk outdoors but I'm a wimpy Floridian. (Ds won't take the outside lights down yet because he said he'll "freeze to death on the roof" lol). Anyway, I've been doing indoor walking videos that equate to 2 mile walks.

I've kept to my WW points for the most part. A few times I've gone over the daily limit, but so far haven't used up all the weekly points. 

I'm also wearing my smart watch even at home and trying to get in 10K steps. Mostly yes, 8-9K a few days this week.

I totally understand about 52 being too cold to walk. I haven't walked since we got this cold snap. I need around 60 degrees in order to be comfortable.

• Like 5

After posted here yesterday I went to watch a movie, and did 20 minutes of intervals on the bike. I might have overdid it, or maybe it was because I did a blood test today, but fencing today was bad. I was absolutely exhausted the first half an hour, then after a short break I felt better and ended up fencing for an hour and a half. I probably need to take a break tomorrow, but I am happy that I have my 5 workouts for the first week done.

• Like 7

I'm really unhappy about skipping the gym already.  Yesterday was really cold, but the blowing snow was my firm "excuse".  This morning, my phone says -3*F, with a windchill of -27.  I just can't!!!

I have been tracking my food since Wednesday to reset my eyes/mouth/stomach meters, but I'm getting frustrated trying to find the right spot.  Various apps are trying to put me around 1300 for losing 1.5lbs/wk, but I've already lost almost 2.5lbs in half of a week.  Trying to convince myself it's just water isn't working. I feel like I need to track longer than I intended in order to prove it to myself, but I hate tracking!!!

My goal isn't actually pounds lost, but I like to see a nice macro balance and to see as many healthy things stuffed in there without going hog wild.

Two least favorite things so far this year:  

1. Dramatically cutting back on coffee creamer.  Especially while it's so cold.  I *love* to be sipping on sweet, creamy coffee all day long.  It's who I am; it's what I do.  My daughters even gave me a coffee recipe book for Christmas.

2. Not drinking alcohol while tracking.  I have no plans to cut alcohol entirely, but I don't want it to mess up this "reset".  But, when it's this cold and there's nowhere to go because of it, some caramel vodka with warmed apple cider sounds TO DIE FOR!!!  (On the plus side, there's no way I'm going out there to buy caramel vodka and apple cider!)

• Like 7

No ma'am! I was not sweating! I told you I am a cold wimp!

ou only have to cover the face when it's 15 - 20 degrees below freezing (that includes windchill). :scared: :svengo: My wimpy cheeks do not like the feeling of cold on them! It is good that I live in the US South and not Canada, no?

But I will chalk up the heavy breathing to heavy clothing!

I have to say I live where it is often 15-20 degrees below freezing. I am also a cold wimp. I run with a balaclava, a complete set of cuddle duds, under armour winter wear over that and a fleece on top , wool socks and lined mittens. I hardly get damp. Kudos to you for going out if you're not used to it.

*note, I wear two or three layers of clothes inside. I need to move.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 8

I have to say a big Yay to all of you. I read here but the chances I will remember to post daily are nil. I have not been consistent with my No S. I am hoping dd returning to college Sunday and getting back into the normal swing will help. I have done yoga daily and got in some short jogs. I need to find a way to get my goals in the front of my mind. Losing 10 pounds will make me feel better. I need more sleep ( I just wake up.) Ten cups of coffee and no water is not my goal. I get busy and just plain forget. Maybe I should look at that Mediterranean memory Diet :)

• Like 9

I'm really unhappy about skipping the gym already. Yesterday was really cold, but the blowing snow was my firm "excuse". This morning, my phone says -3*F, with a windchill of -27. I just can't!!!

I have been tracking my food since Wednesday to reset my eyes/mouth/stomach meters, but I'm getting frustrated trying to find the right spot. Various apps are trying to put me around 1300 for losing 1.5lbs/wk, but I've already lost almost 2.5lbs in half of a week. Trying to convince myself it's just water isn't working. I feel like I need to track longer than I intended in order to prove it to myself, but I hate tracking!!!

My goal isn't actually pounds lost, but I like to see a nice macro balance and to see as many healthy things stuffed in there without going hog wild.

Two least favorite things so far this year:

1. Dramatically cutting back on coffee creamer. Especially while it's so cold. I *love* to be sipping on sweet, creamy coffee all day long. It's who I am; it's what I do. My daughters even gave me a coffee recipe book for Christmas.

2. Not drinking alcohol while tracking. I have no plans to cut alcohol entirely, but I don't want it to mess up this "reset". But, when it's this cold and there's nowhere to go because of it, some caramel vodka with warmed apple cider sounds TO DIE FOR!!! (On the plus side, there's no way I'm going out there to buy caramel vodka and apple cider!)

Coffee is my weakness too and this weather just screams for hot buttered rum. Alcoho, buttery fat and sugar. Not a health drink.

• Like 5

I did not make my walk yesterday.

Honestly, I took an hour in the morning to myself but then was busy until we had to leave, once we got home then I cooked supper, I finally sat down around 6:30.

I did get my planning done, woot! I got most of the cleaning done, just need to mop floors today and do some odds and ends.

Today is a weights day. I think I'll be doing it at home.

Food was good, got in my fruits and veggies :) I was fairly active, even if I didn't exercise. I had adult time talking to other adults! Slept all night last night, unfortunately woke up at 4:30 when dh got up but I went to bed by 9 so I got a decent amount of sleep.

• Like 6

I totally understand about 52 being too cold to walk. I haven't walked since we got this cold snap. I need around 60 degrees in order to be comfortable.

I would be out in a t-shirt and sandals at 52 degrees. When I had my convertible bug, I was still putting the top down at 50 degrees. The seat warmers were on but the top was down. 40 degrees (and no wind) is my cut off for playing outdoor tennis.

Isn't it funny how individual we all are?

Up until this year, no temp could keep me inside. I would walk every day, bundled up in cozy clothes, and loved it. Damned depression. It really stinks.

• Like 8

I played 4.5 singles last night. I have sufficiently recovered from the wine debacle of three days ago and so out I went. I had a great time and made my opponent work for her win. She is a full level above me and I anticipated the loss. My goal was to win 1 game and to work on strategy. At one point, I was winning 4-2. Yay me! I was unable to keep up the momentum, however, and she ended up besting me 6-4. Those last three games were multiple deuce games and, really, they could have gone either way. I'm pleased with how I played.

I have a USTA 4.0 match today. This one counts for ranking and points. After that I"m headed to my meditation vacation. I plan on hiking. climbing mountains, and soaking in hot springs. I've signed up for early morning beginners yoga (why did I do this to myself?) and have some personal reflection activities planned. I hope it will be a good mental reset.

• Like 7

I'm really unhappy about skipping the gym already.  Yesterday was really cold, but the blowing snow was my firm "excuse".  This morning, my phone says -3*F, with a windchill of -27.  I just can't!!!

:iagree:   It's -38 F with the windchill here again. :cursing:   I already decided that today is my rest day - a do-not-go-outside rest day. ;)

It's warming up a little tomorrow and even more during the week, so I'll get on my skis then. 

• Like 4

I played 4.5 singles last night. I have sufficiently recovered from the wine debacle of three days ago and so out I went. I had a great time and made my opponent work for her win. She is a full level above me and I anticipated the loss. My goal was to win 1 game and to work on strategy. At one point, I was winning 4-2. Yay me! I was unable to keep up the momentum, however, and she ended up besting me 6-4. Those last three games were multiple deuce games and, really, they could have gone either way. I'm pleased with how I played.

I have a USTA 4.0 match today. This one counts for ranking and points. After that I"m headed to my meditation vacation. I plan on hiking. climbing mountains, and soaking in hot springs. I've signed up for early morning beginners yoga (why did I do this to myself?) and have some personal reflection activities planned. I hope it will be a good mental reset.

Congratulations on your tennis. Hope your match goes well! 

The meditation vacation sounds lovely! 

• Like 4

No t-tapp last night. We got home too late from our friends' house.

OTOH, when there were multiple beautiful desserts, I thought about which were the most special and then indulged in and enjoyed those and skipped the others. WW meeting went well this morning and I'm focusing on habits that are healthful.

Emily

• Like 7

I have lost 6 pounds since Christmas!! I tend to lose weight in clumps like 2 pounds at a time and then platuea for a bit. I was at a platuea for about 4 weeks prior to this. 

My dairy allergy really kept my eating over the holidays in check seeing how most yummies (at least in my German family) are made of butter. 

I have done abs and arms workout 6 out of the 7 days for two weeks - takes 12 - 15 minutes. I have joined the 30 day yoga challenge - I love it!! I have zero flexibility but I love it even though I am not good at it. And I have logged in my 180 minutes of cardio faithfully for weeks now. I ususally eat two eggs breakfast, my protein smoothie for lunch, an apple for a snack and then a modest dinner. BUT not every day; I aim for that 4 - 5 days a week. 

I have also discovered another secret - after dinner is cleaned up - I go upstairs away from the kitchen! I can read and work up in my room as easily as I can in the family room or kitchen. 

good luck everyone!!

• Like 7

Nothing too exciting to report, but I am staying on track pretty well, both with diet and exercise.  Did my cardio yesterday, weights today.  Also had a nice little stroll in a nearby park with my daughter yesterday just before sunset.  It was very pleasant.

• Like 6

Another rest day. I’m weighing the inactivity with the decreased immune system function due to training stress. Not getting myself further rundown won out. Today I’m reading about training so that I can make tweaks to the next training cycle. I have a long run that needs to get done in the next two or three days before I maybe need to consider abandoning it altogether. That’s ok, that’s what tiered goals are for! :D

• Like 5

I didn't really get out of bed today until 12:30, I just did not feel well, stupid hormones, ovulation is due soon. 

BUT I made myself get up and take a walk, just a mile but I did it. Then I did my strength workout, 3 wks down, 9 wks to go.

• Like 7

I've had a lovely day of rest, though I did get out to my son's basketball game. I helped with the score keeping, so at least I got a mental work-out. There were two players with #8 jersey's on one team, and two #5s on the other team. We coded them by shorts colour to note down their baskets and fouls. The refs didn't make this same distinction, though, when they were relaying the details. I kept wanting to ask them, "Was that the red shorts #8 or white shorts?"   :laugh:  

• Like 6

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/opinion/our-imaginary-weight-problem.html?_r=0&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F

From the article:

"To put some flesh on these statistical bones, the study found a 6 percent decrease in mortality risk among people classified as overweight and a 5 percent decrease in people classified as Grade 1 obese, the lowest level (most of the obese fall in this category). This means that average-height women — 5 feet 4 inches — who weigh between 108 and 145 pounds have a higher mortality risk than average-height women who weigh between 146 and 203 pounds. For average-height men — 5 feet 10 inches — those who weigh between 129 and 174 pounds have a higher mortality risk than those who weigh between 175 and 243 pounds.

Now, if we were to employ the logic of our public health authorities, who treat any correlation between weight and increased mortality risk as a good reason to encourage people to try to modify their weight, we ought to be telling the 75 million American adults currently occupying the government’s “healthy weight†category to put on some pounds, so they can move into the lower risk, higher-weight categories."

• Like 2

The weather is supposed to break next week, which should be good for getting my exercise going again. Roads were bad, it was cold blah blah blah. Today, I did 50 min of Wii Fit broken into segments. It was annoying because the sensors are old I guess and aren't picking up the movement right and I kept getting bonked with giant bowling balls when my Mini mi "froze'.  :glare:

I decided to find out how much saturated fat I was eating. I thought it would be pretty low because I limit red meat to a couple times per month, eat nonfat dairy and except for Christmas holidays, rarely eat dessert. However, I found out that plant sources can have just a touch of saturated fat in them. Olive oil has 1 gram, and so does avocado!  I knew most nuts had some. But the # of grams considered heart healthy would only be about 14 for me and those 1s and 2s can add up fast! The biggest culprit for me is dark chocolate. I think I'm going to have to go down in % cacao because the fat goes up. Trouble is, sugar goes up as the % goes down. I could just limit it more than I do now. I don't like to count grams of things, but since I eat very similar meals each day, once I get a handle on it, it won't be too bad.

• Like 5

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/opinion/our-imaginary-weight-problem.html?_r=0&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F

From the article:

"To put some flesh on these statistical bones, the study found a 6 percent decrease in mortality risk among people classified as overweight and a 5 percent decrease in people classified as Grade 1 obese, the lowest level (most of the obese fall in this category). This means that average-height women — 5 feet 4 inches — who weigh between 108 and 145 pounds have a higher mortality risk than average-height women who weigh between 146 and 203 pounds. For average-height men — 5 feet 10 inches — those who weigh between 129 and 174 pounds have a higher mortality risk than those who weigh between 175 and 243 pounds.

Now, if we were to employ the logic of our public health authorities, who treat any correlation between weight and increased mortality risk as a good reason to encourage people to try to modify their weight, we ought to be telling the 75 million American adults currently occupying the government’s “healthy weight†category to put on some pounds, so they can move into the lower risk, higher-weight categories."

Interesting stats. I wouldn't think for many people that mortality is the only concern that they have with overweight and obesity. There are many other health issues that effect people's quality of life caused by obesity, they just live longer in their suffering. 

• Like 6

Today we're cooking and serving food at the mission so I'll be on my feet all day, not sure if I'll squeeze in a walk or not considering how early it gets dark but I'll be doing plenty of walking around, Generally, I don't even have time to sit at all.

From the article:

Coincidentally I'm 5'4" and at a healthy weight and no desire to gain weight to decrease my mortality risk. I feel best mid-range of the healthy range. My husband is 5'10 and in the overweight to obese category. His blood work has been fine but it is a strain on his joints being overweight, even if he isn't huge.  

• Like 6

I've exercised most days this last week, I think all but one.

I got a 3 x 6 foot cushy kitchen floor mat, better than the costco ones, about an inch thick, to work on.  I put on a movie and run and jump on it until I get tired, which honestly is embarrassingly quickly, but baby steps!  Yesterday I did that and also hopped on the HealthRider for a bit.

Also I have been wearing my old Dansko sandal clogs around the house, which has helped the PF somewhat.  Has anyone tried Kuro shoes?  They advertise as really good for PF.

If it's reasonable outside today I might go for a short hike.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 7

From the article:

I think given the large volume of studies that have shown a positive correlation between overweight/obesity and disease (diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, cancer, etc.) when a study like this comes out we have to treat it with some skepticism.  Linked below is a criticism of this study, saying that they did not adequately control for people who had lost weight due to smoking or illness, skewing the results.

https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/12064386/3806201.pdf?sequence=1

• Like 5

From the article:

The author of the 2012 article was a law professor (with a book to promote) not someone in the medical or epidemiological field.His book was, however, based on a study that had come out about that time.

There were some  problems with the study: 

• Smokers tend to weigh less than nonsmokers. There was nothing done in the study design to rule out the impact of smoking. 
  • People with certain diseases may lose weight as a result of the disease and yet be counted as "normal weight" when really the disease they died from was already having an impact. The study design didn't account for this either. 

Here is a description of a huge study designed to rule out these factors. .  https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/overweight-obesity-mortality-risk/

It was an enormous meta-study: 

For the new study, consortium researchers looked at data from more than 10.6 million participants from 239 large studies, conducted between 1970 and 2015, in 32 countries. A combined 1.6 million deaths were recorded across these studies, in which participants were followed for an average of 14 years. 

That's a lot of data. Smokers and former smokers were excluded from the study to tease out the effect of smoking vs. lower weight on mortality. Anyone who died within 5 years of the study was also excluded to attempt to control for the effect of pre-existing disease on lower weight. 

Here is what they found. 

The results showed that participants with BMI of 22.5-<25 kg/m(considered a healthy weight range) had the lowest mortality risk during the time they were followed. The risk of mortality increased significantly throughout the overweight range: a BMI of 25-<27.5 kg/m2was associated with a 7% higher risk of mortality; a BMI of 27.5-<30 kg/m2 was associated with a 20% higher risk; a BMI of 30.0-<35.0 kg/m2 was associated with a 45% higher risk; a BMI of 35.0-<40.0 kg/m2 was associated with a 94% higher risk; and a BMI of 40.0-<60.0 kg/m2 was associated with a nearly three-fold risk. Every 5 units higher BMI above 25 kg/m2was associated with about 31% higher risk of premature death. Participants who were underweight also had a higher mortality risk.

There is more specific data in the article about risk wrt particular cause of death as well. 

As a breast cancer survivor, I follow the research for that disease carefully.  Being overweight (over BMI of 25) or above increases the risk of breast cancer, increases the risk that the cancer, when found, will be larger, and increases the risk of recurrence as does weight gain after treatment is over. 

It was the impetus for my 60 lb weight loss after treatment and my focus on rebuilding my health & strength. 

• Like 8

So glad that the weather is returning to normal for our part of the world!  My cold wimpy self can get outside the first few days of the week at least! Right now, rain is predicted for the latter half of the week. Hopefully, one of those days will have a break! 

I think because I've been barely making (or missing) minimum exercise requirements over the last 2 weeks, that I should start Monday with a walk/jog  before dinner, then go to the gym in the evening and do the weight machines. I might be tired, but it helps me mentally to have both workouts "in the bank" at the beginning of the week. So the ideal schedule will be: 

Mon: walk/jog & strength training

Tues: more moderate walk/jog 

Wed: Zumba 

Thu: strength training; maybe also swim

Fri: walk/jog weather permitting or swim 

Sat: walk/jog weather permitting (if couldn't do it Fri) plus strength training. 

Though my exercise has fallen back a bit, my sleep has been solid. I have not been going to bed early enough but because of snow days from work, have not had to get up early, either and haven't awakened in the middle of the night. 

Eating has been reasonable. I think all the holiday foods are now gone, so I won't run into temptation. I did cook a double batch of lentil rice soup yesterday, and will do a big batch of vegetable soup today. I'll freeze individual portions and those will be available for a quick meal or snack and are filling. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 6

It makes knowing what to do confusing.  But my takeaway from such things (referring to the thing Carol in Cal posted), is that probably there is no magical perfect number for everyone.  And there are so many factors (some of which we cannot control at all).  My weight is right on the edge of what I'm told by some chart is an ok weight, but not well below that and sometimes above that by a few pounds.  I only use the charts as a very rough guideline. I have noticed a massive difference in terms of how I have felt (compared with) prior to losing weight and that's balanced by the fact I do not suffer to maintain it.  So that seems like a sweet spot to me.

There are always some trolls who post some "ideal weight" chart in some of the low carb groups I frequent.  It truly is just clickbait, but they always post the absolute lowest number of the healthy weight range (or below that).  That sends people into a tizzy.  People start arguing over ideal weight and those who are on the low end tell the ones on the higher end that they are only jealous of the lower end (and other such nonsense).  I just roll my eyes.  I don't need to justify what makes me feel best whatever that may be.  And it's really nasty to dangle that in front of people who would do better even if all they lost was 10 pounds, but now feel completely overwhelmed by reaching a weight they had in junior high school. 

Or the other way around.  This nastiness goes both ways. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 8

I decided to find out how much saturated fat I was eating. I thought it would be pretty low because I limit red meat to a couple times per month, eat nonfat dairy and except for Christmas holidays, rarely eat dessert. However, I found out that plant sources can have just a touch of saturated fat in them. Olive oil has 1 gram, and so does avocado!  I knew most nuts had some. But the # of grams considered heart healthy would only be about 14 for me and those 1s and 2s can add up fast! The biggest culprit for me is dark chocolate. I think I'm going to have to go down in % cacao because the fat goes up. Trouble is, sugar goes up as the % goes down. I could just limit it more than I do now. I don't like to count grams of things, but since I eat very similar meals each day, once I get a handle on it, it won't be too bad.

And (I'm sure you know this) coconut has quite a bit.  I was buying these huge tubs of coconut oil at Costco when I was eating VLC/HF.  Now I intend to use up what's left on my skin, not in my cooking!  I'm thinking about asking for an air fryer for my birthday.   :001_smile:

• Like 3

There are always some trolls who post some "ideal weight" chart in some of the low carb groups I frequent.  It truly is just clickbait, but they always post the absolute lowest number of the healthy weight range (or below that).  That sends people into a tizzy.  People start arguing over ideal weight and those who are on the low end tell the ones on the higher end that they are only jealous of the lower end (and other such nonsense).  I just roll my eyes.  I don't need to justify what makes me feel best whatever that may be.  And it's really nasty to dangle that in front of people who would do better even if all they lost was 10 pounds, but now feel completely overwhelmed by reaching a weight they had in junior high school. 

Or the other way around.  This nastiness goes both ways. 

Yes, I had that same experience!  Someone posted some chart or method (I think maybe it was based on wrist measurement or something?) which said that I should weigh between 115 and 125.  I'm 5'9" so that's pretty skinny.  And the thing is, I've actually been that skinny, and I know from experience it was not healthy.  I am much stronger, healthier, and happier when I weigh 130-135, which is still WELL within normal range for my height.  Where do people come up with these crazy low numbers?

• Like 5

Yes, I had that same experience!  Someone posted some chart or method (I think maybe it was based on wrist measurement or something?) which said that I should weigh between 115 and 125.  I'm 5'9" so that's pretty skinny.  And the thing is, I've actually been that skinny, and I know from experience it was not healthy.  I am much stronger, healthier, and happier when I weigh 130-135, which is still WELL within normal range for my height.  Where do people come up with these crazy low numbers?

Yeah and I think practically speaking how would I buy clothing?  I take a small and according to these trolls I should lose another 30 pounds.  LMAO.  SO after 30 pounds I guess I'd need to start shopping in the girl's department.  (I know there are extra smalls, but I'm thinking that 30 pounds less would likely put me in a situation of needing sizes smaller than that).

• Like 5

Had a pretty good first week. I ran four times - one 5km Resolution Run on Jan 1, hill training one day, tempo training on another, and then an 18km run on Saturday. I was back at the gym this week as well - Tuesdays and Fridays.

Diet was a little rocky. I completed two 48 hour fasts, but on one of my eating days I finished off the chocolate almond bark :( This was supposed to be a no sugar week. I have been no sugar since then, so this coming week should be better.

I like routines, so the coming week should be pretty steady. 3 - 4 runs. Twice at the gym. Two 48 hour fasts. Keto eating. 

• Like 7

I don't worry about saturated fats.  I don't go out of my way to add gobs of them either though.  (so no fat bombs and stuff like that) 

Makes sense.  I did the fat bombs and creme fraiche instead of yogurt and heavy cream instead of half and half or milk, and fried things in a ton of oil, and . . . .  well now I think I need to try to make up for it a bit.

Yeah and I think practically speaking how would I buy clothing?  I take a small and according to these trolls I should lose another 30 pounds.  LMAO.  SO after 30 pounds I guess I'd need to start shopping in the girl's department.  (I know there are extra smalls, but I'm thinking that 30 pounds less would likely put me in a situation of needing sizes smaller than that).

Not being able to find clothes, not having the strength to lift a weight, not having the endurance to be able to hike...   I'm not saying everyone feels that bad at a lower weight, but that's how I felt.

• Like 6

Son of a gun, it's finally warming up! It's gone from -37 to -17 F with the windchill already. Life is pretty bad when -17 is "warmer."   :crying:    Personally, I'm holding off on outdoor exercise until it hits at least 15 F. I'm being choosy.  :lol:  The plan is to get out skiing later today. We shall see...

• Like 6

I am 5'4", and 115 would be low for me. I was there before kids and before muscle, don't really want to go back. Some people are crazy.

I remember the time when I first came to the US, 30 lbs ago. I could find tops, since I carry my fat there, but pants... Forget about it. I wear small now. And coincidentally, I just realized how much weight I gained since then   :lol: To be fair, at least half of that is muscle weight. We were talking with my DD recently, and I mentioned that she weighs 10 pounds more than I did when I was in college, and she is an inch shorter. She looked at herself and asked how she could lose 10 pounds (not in terms of how to actually lose them but where would they come from, she has healthy outlook at weight). My only answer was muscle. She did gymnastics since she was 6, and has well-developed muscles all over her body. I never exercised and had no muscles to speak of. I probably had more fat than she does, which is another reason why BMI is not a reliable indicator, especially in the normal/overweight ranges (and further up for some categories of people).

Yesterday was a rest day. I napped and read a couple of books about working out. I think I am getting close to coming up with a program for that. Up until now I just did whatever came to mind at the moment, as long as it hit major muscle groups, no plans, no progressions. Hopefully it will work for me. It also requires a pull up bar, which I am still waiting for and not sure if it works with our doorways.

• Like 6

You could always treat cold weather like super hot weather and just exercise indoors. ;)

That's what I do for most of the year. We're at the time of year where it's normally nice outside and I love walking outdoors when I can. Otherwise I do indoor videos. I can't bring myself to go mall walking with the other old people. :D 

Our week of winter is over now and it's in the 60s today. Dh and I are getting ready to go for a walk. It's a perfect day to be outside so I hope to also get some vigorous gardening in as well.

We had a visit from out of town family yesterday for FIL's birthday (he's 93!) and all went out to eat seafood. I prefer my fish grilled or broiled so it wasn't hard to avoid the fried fish almost everyone else was ordering. 

• Like 6

Yeah most of my exercising IS indoors.  It's either too cold, too hot, too polleny, or too peoply. 

I was considering getting a power cage for outside, but when I really thought of it, I figured I would use it 5 times a year, if that, because it is always "too something". Indoors it is, unless it's a walk.

• Like 5

And (I'm sure you know this) coconut has quite a bit.  I was buying these huge tubs of coconut oil at Costco when I was eating VLC/HF.  Now I intend to use up what's left on my skin, not in my cooking!  I'm thinking about asking for an air fryer for my birthday.   :001_smile:

That's exactly what I am doing with mine! It smells good and it's what I slather on after a foot soak or shower. 

• Like 3