Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Happy New Year

Granny_Weatherwax

Well yeah it's obviously triggered by walking on an incline.  Maybe I'm tensing it up.  My stride is rather wide...wider than it would be if not on a treadmill.

Walking uphill uses the posterior chain muscles most (hamstrings and glutes); walking downhill uses the quads most. You might try proceeding more gradually on the treadmill. Make sure you have a solid 5 min warm up at a  comfortable pace with not much incline, gradually increasing your pace and adding a little bit of incline . I find it helpful to then hit my pace, and then gradually adjust the incline. Then do a 5 min cool down as well---again, comfortable pace. When you're done, take the time to stretch. Since it's hitting you in the glute, try hamstring stretches and some variation of a figure 4 stretch. (You can do both kinds of stretches lying, sitting, or standing). Add a quad stretch in there for balance. 

• Like 5

Yesterday was cold and damp or raining all day. During a break in the rain, my neighbor called and asked if I'd like to come with her to walk her dog, so though I had planned to just go to the gym, I thought why not? 

As I approached her and her dog, the dog lunged forward and bit me! It didn't tear my pants, but there is a sizable bruise and broken skin. It hurt!  It was rather shocking. He's had problems with dogs before but not people. And I know this guy. I'm in their house nearly every day and he runs to greet me and be petted. It was weird and upsetting for both of us. 

So eventually, after some dark chocolate therapy, I got to the gym for a strength-training session. 

I had a hard time getting to sleep though, so didn't get enough sleep. I was thinking about what happened. I have been super tired today, so I'm hoping to just get in my 10,000 steps. I'm not going to do anything else. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

Woot! I got signed up at the gym right next to TKD. Dh's work subsidizes it, so it is $8 a month, if I did go 8x a month  I get charged an extra $17, so it is still not a bad deal but is a motivator and having it next to TKD and only 15 min. from my house I'm hoping to set myself up for success. Being right by TKD I get a full hour to work out too!

The gym was not nearly as intimidating as I remember and it wasn't super busy. I even managed to ask a guy to spot me. My powerlifting friend works out there too so I'm hoping we can meet and lift some time together. 

I'm feeling very proud and pretty sure I'm going to be sore!

That's awesome! Having a comfortable and convenient gym makes actually going so much easier. And the price! Fantastic.

• Like 3

That's why I think *my* body is weird. I don't have cravings after eating sugar, it signals that I am full. And I also lost weight when I ate more than reasonable amount of cookies, I think due to decreased appetite. Actually, when I cut sugar a few years ago I felt hungry all the time, and since I usually follow my body, I gained weight.  I think our bodies have a way of telling us what we really need, we just lost the ability to decipher those signals. 

I am so jealous. I feel like chocolate should be a food group. I love sugar. I really, really love it. And I love baking. And I really can't eat any of it - not even in moderation. 

• Like 2

Walking uphill uses the posterior chain muscles most (hamstrings and glutes); walking downhill uses the quads most. You might try proceeding more gradually on the treadmill. Make sure you have a solid 5 min warm up at a  comfortable pace with not much incline, gradually increasing your pace and adding a little bit of incline . I find it helpful to then hit my pace, and then gradually adjust the incline. Then do a 5 min cool down as well---again, comfortable pace. When you're done, take the time to stretch. Since it's hitting you in the glute, try hamstring stretches and some variation of a figure 4 stretch. (You can do both kinds of stretches lying, sitting, or standing). Add a quad stretch in there for balance. 

I'll try the stretches.  I already do do the gradual/cool down thing.

It usually goes away about an hour after.

• Like 4

I'm not getting as much activity as I'd like. DH and I used to walk every day, after dinner in the warm season/ after lunch in winter , but he now has so much work that that's not possible. I have to develop the habit of going alone.

But we hiked both Saturday and Sunday, so that was good.

I wanted to get better about biking to work, but it's been so cold that I was too lazy. I have no valid excuse.

I abandoned yoga since it gave me the horrendous vertigo.

Slacker.

• Like 4

I need to do some stretching and walking today. I slept horribly,I think because of one of my supplements and my thyroid dosing schedule was off due to my blood draw. I woke at 3 but did manage to get back to sleep eventually, I'm not feeling all that peppy as of this moment. The weather is supposed to be nice so I'm hoping that is a good motivator.

Yesterday was cold and damp or raining all day. During a break in the rain, my neighbor called and asked if I'd like to come with her to walk her dog, so though I had planned to just go to the gym, I thought why not? 

As I approached her and her dog, the dog lunged forward and bit me! It didn't tear my pants, but there is a sizable bruise and broken skin. It hurt!  It was rather shocking. He's had problems with dogs before but not people. And I know this guy. I'm in their house nearly every day and he runs to greet me and be petted. It was weird and upsetting for both of us. 

So eventually, after some dark chocolate therapy, I got to the gym for a strength-training session. 

I had a hard time getting to sleep though, so didn't get enough sleep. I was thinking about what happened. I have been super tired today, so I'm hoping to just get in my 10,000 steps. I'm not going to do anything else. 

Man, that really, really sucks. Sounds like you need a mental health day, hopefully, it is a nice easy one at work.

That's why I think *my* body is weird. I don't have cravings after eating sugar, it signals that I am full. And I also lost weight when I ate more than reasonable amount of cookies, I think due to decreased appetite. Actually, when I cut sugar a few years ago I felt hungry all the time, and since I usually follow my body, I gained weight.  I think our bodies have a way of telling us what we really need, we just lost the ability to decipher those signals. 

Anyway, while my sugar, according to MyFitnessPal is usually higher than it thinks it should be, most of it comes from lactose and fruit, so I am fine with that. And cutting all added sugar to save less than 100 Cal and be hungry all day is just not worth it to me.

I may skip fencing today, since it is DS's birthday and I want us to have some family time. I'll try to fit my full body workout sometime today.

Hey, whatever works for you! Way back when I did a very low carb diet, like keto diet and felt great.These days my carbs are way lower than the average person but more in the moderate level, I don't feel good eating that low anymore and at this point in time I've been eating more frequently.

Rest day yesterday, but I met my step goal by walking around in the house. Rain hill sprints on the treadmill this morning which was wonderful and hard at the same time. On the other hand, it’s the fastest 50 minutes has gone by on the treadmill ever.

How do you do hill sprints on a treadmill? I've only started using one again as a warm up but it never occured to me to do hill sprints. Does the treadmill have a setting or do you just set for an incline. I'm just thinking of our hills here that have a steady rise and how to emulate that while running.

Two steps forward, one step back: TTOM started today, just 19 days after my last one. Ahhh, the joys of being in my late 40’s. I have always been unpredictable, but never this short of a time frame. I’m curling up with my heating pad and Netflix - I’ll exercise tomorrow.

Ugh, that sucks! I'm in my late 30s and have had some wonkiness, I'm really thinking this whole thing isn't fair, first child birth, then years of fluctuations with hormone changes, weight gain, and everything else. I decided that taking the first day of my period as a holiday is perfectly acceptable. Hopefully, tomorrow is better.

• Like 4

I'm not getting as much activity as I'd like. DH and I used to walk every day, after dinner in the warm season/ after lunch in winter , but he now has so much work that that's not possible. I have to develop the habit of going alone.

But we hiked both Saturday and Sunday, so that was good.

I wanted to get better about biking to work, but it's been so cold that I was too lazy. I have no valid excuse.

I abandoned yoga since it gave me the horrendous vertigo.

Slacker.

You are so not a slacker by any definition IMO! I'm used to walking with the kids and I have a very hard time going by myself. I always think it would be nice to go in the mornings before they wake up(I walk right on our road or the trail in front of the house) but I can't seem to make myself do it.

• Like 2

Cold is a valid excuse.  Although I'd rather bike in the cold than the heat. 

I agree about cold being a valid excuse. It's back down to -7 F with the windchill. My youngest ds wanted to go skating on the canal this morning, but I am so not up for that in this cold. It's supposed to warm up later today and snow. I may be able to get out and ski this evening, which would be fantastic!

I'd bike in hot or cool, just not in ice and snow. And the wind own creates when biking can be hard on the hands and head. 

• Like 3

I agree about cold being a valid excuse. It's back down to -7 F with the windchill. My youngest ds wanted to go skating on the canal this morning, but I am so not up for that in this cold. It's supposed to warm up later today and snow. I may be able to get out and ski this evening, which would be fantastic!

I'd bike in hot or cool, just not in ice and snow. And the wind own creates when biking can be hard on the hands and head. 

It would be brutal on the face.  My face gets all chapped and red and it hurts like hell.  I'd have to wear a face mask.

Although here biking is a death wish.  I'm not a good enough biker to handle city traffic.

Plus...ice....

• Like 3

How do you do hill sprints on a treadmill? I've only started using one again as a warm up but it never occured to me to do hill sprints. Does the treadmill have a setting or do you just set for an incline. I'm just thinking of our hills here that have a steady rise and how to emulate that while running.

I’m sure there’s probably a setting or program you can do on a treadmill, but I haven’t really spent a lot of time messing around with it so I go for quick and dirty by just adjusting the incline. I don’t know how it compare incline wise to hills outside. I know it feels similar to some of the hills I’ve had to conquer. I think the hill program on the Life Fitness commercial treadmills is more like extended hills up and down over the course of the workout.

The hill sprints on the plan were meant to be x repeats by 10 seconds which is similar to one I’ve done outside, but on the treadmill that seems a little difficult since there’s really no jogging downhill. There is some lag between when I decrease the incline and it reaches 0, but it’s not really enough like the downhill on a hill, if that makes sense.

I used the first workout here instead and used my hr monitor to adjust the pace so I hit the right effort - https://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/three-hill-workouts-for-the-treadmill

I think the other two look interesting as well.

• Like 1

I thought this article might be an inspiration for those who are lifters, it very clearly demonstrates how little the scale means- 

I’m sure there’s probably a setting or program you can do on a treadmill, but I haven’t really spent a lot of time messing around with it so I go for quick and dirty by just adjusting the incline. I don’t know how it compare incline wise to hills outside. I know it feels similar to some of the hills I’ve had to conquer. I think the hill program on the Life Fitness commercial treadmills is more like extended hills up and down over the course of the workout.

The hill sprints on the plan were meant to be x repeats by 10 seconds which is similar to one I’ve done outside, but on the treadmill that seems a little difficult since there’s really no jogging downhill. There is some lag between when I decrease the incline and it reaches 0, but it’s not really enough like the downhill on a hill, if that makes sense.

I used the first workout here instead and used my hr monitor to adjust the pace so I hit the right effort - https://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/three-hill-workouts-for-the-treadmill

I think the other two look interesting as well.

Thank you for the info, I'll have to try it when I'm feeling spunkier. Extended hills sounds like a whole lot of not fun to me! I've mostly done little hill sprints, although I've not sprinted since August, I hope to get back to it.

• Like 1

I rowed this morning for 45 minutes, but very, very slowly. I don’t know if my Vit. D levels are low, if I need more sleep, need to eat more calories, or if my body still isn’t 100% after being sick, but I am just not feeling it right now about anything. No energy, no desire to do anything. Everything feels like such a chore. I’m hoping I will snap out of this funk and start feeling more enthusiastic about anything.

• Like 5

We got a dump of beautiful powder snow!! Dd and dog and I went out for a skate ski this evening. It was a lot of fun skiing around the neighbourhood sidewalks, soccer field and parks. There is something a little crazy about skiing right out your front door in the suburbs. I love the way it freaks out the cars driving by.  :laugh:  

• Like 4

We got a dump of beautiful powder snow!! Dd and dog and I went out for a skate ski this evening. It was a lot of fun skiing around the neighbourhood sidewalks, soccer field and parks. There is something a little crazy about skiing right out your front door in the suburbs. I love the way it freaks out the cars driving by. :laugh:

Sounds like so much fun! Is your town/city not great about plowing the snow? We live on a very quiet street in the suburbs and seem to get a plow going by every two hours or so. I would love to ski down my street as we live on a bit of a hill!

• Like 2

Sounds like so much fun! Is your town/city not great about plowing the snow? We live on a very quiet street in the suburbs and seem to get a plow going by every two hours or so. I would love to ski down my street as we live on a bit of a hill!

The snow came down so quickly and so late in the day, that there was no time to plow anything but the highways and major arteries. I think we got about 4 - 6 inches, and the base was frozen ice. It was perfect for skate skiing - no grooming machines needed. 

• Like 1

I was chauffeur today, but I did manage to squeeze in a very short snowshoe walk this afternoon. The snow was so sticky that it kept bunching up on the bottom of my snowshoes. I eventually ditched them and just walked with my boots. 

It's supposed to go down to -20 C tonight and very windy tomorrow. I'll be staying indoors, I predict. ;)

• Like 1