Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Happy New Year

Granny_Weatherwax

It was a busy day yesterday, so I didn't have time in the morning to do my workout. Then by the time we needed to go to fencing I got a bad headache with nausea, so I decided to skip it. After the pill I felt better and did 30 minutes of cardio on the bike and then tried to do the workout, but only managed about 30 minutes, and whatever I did was very difficult, yet today I am not sore at all. Oh well, next time it will be better :)

On another note, my DH went to a cardiologist for some chest pain, and all the guy did was look at the test result and tell him that he has high cholesterol, and no matter what DH does, it will stay high unless he gets on statins for the rest of his life. I told him to find another doctor, since DH is obviously overweight, doesn't eat healthy enough, and moves for a grand total of 3 hours a week, which is an improvement of the last 6 months or so. Anyway, I told him that he can do whatever tests the Dr. wants him to do, but try to clean up his lifestyle for a few months and then do another blood test. DH is on board with this, but it is going to be all on me, as in if I cook and prepare everything for him, he will stay with it, if I don't he will eat whatever, which is most likely bread and cheese in crazy amounts. I also want him to cut carbs. We installed MyFitnessPal and logged our food yesterday, and even without his bread, it was 60% carbs, and I hope to get it to 30-35.  So, now I need to come up with a meal plan for us, and it's not fun.

It's tough to make changes for another person. Tough and exhausting. I hope your dh starts to see some progress and that he starts feeling motivated to do some of this on his own. Sometimes it just takes a few steps in the right direction before someone realizes it actually is possible to make changes and see progress.

• Like 5

I was tired at the gym on Tuesday, but I wonder if that's because I ran 19.25 km on Saturday? I don't know if it's possible for it to take that long to recover... I felt great during the run - much better than two weeks before when we ran 18. 

Had a tempo run last night which was good. I was supposed to do an easy 5km today, but it was rainy, cold, and windy out and I didn't feel like going to the track. 

The really fun part about this week is that I tried on my goal skirt yesterday. It's a 26" waist and I was only able to wear it a few times last year between when I bought it and when I lost my mind and had a few months of carbapalooza (I was hit with really bad seasonal depression and gained 25 lbs). Anyway - not only could I put the skirt on, but it actually fit comfortably. I wore it all day. 

What's weird to me is that I'm still 15 lbs above what I got down to last year. And yet, all of my clothes from my smallest weight are fitting beautifully. I know, logically, that it's muscle gain. I've been lifting heavy for months and I definitely know that I've built muscle, but there is some sort of brain disconnect that tells me I can't possibly fit into my skinny clothes when the scale still says I'm not at my "goal" weight. I think it's time to revise the goal weight ;) I do still have some inches I can pinch, but as soon as those are gone I'm done. I really feel happy when I can walk into my closet and wear anything I want.

• Like 8

Congrats Sarah - thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s wonderful!

I went skiing this morning for several hours with DS16. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Ă¢â‚¬Å“college dayĂ¢â‚¬ at his High School and he is pretty set on knowing what schools he is interested in and what they require for admission, so we took the day off and had some great one-on-one time.

• Like 6

It was a busy day yesterday, so I didn't have time in the morning to do my workout. Then by the time we needed to go to fencing I got a bad headache with nausea, so I decided to skip it. After the pill I felt better and did 30 minutes of cardio on the bike and then tried to do the workout, but only managed about 30 minutes, and whatever I did was very difficult, yet today I am not sore at all. Oh well, next time it will be better :)

On another note, my DH went to a cardiologist for some chest pain, and all the guy did was look at the test result and tell him that he has high cholesterol, and no matter what DH does, it will stay high unless he gets on statins for the rest of his life. I told him to find another doctor, since DH is obviously overweight, doesn't eat healthy enough, and moves for a grand total of 3 hours a week, which is an improvement of the last 6 months or so. Anyway, I told him that he can do whatever tests the Dr. wants him to do, but try to clean up his lifestyle for a few months and then do another blood test. DH is on board with this, but it is going to be all on me, as in if I cook and prepare everything for him, he will stay with it, if I don't he will eat whatever, which is most likely bread and cheese in crazy amounts. I also want him to cut carbs. We installed MyFitnessPal and logged our food yesterday, and even without his bread, it was 60% carbs, and I hope to get it to 30-35.  So, now I need to come up with a meal plan for us, and it's not fun.

Sorry you aren't feeling well and your dh is having health issues. I hope the changes go well and he finds inspiration on his own.

I was tired at the gym on Tuesday, but I wonder if that's because I ran 19.25 km on Saturday? I don't know if it's possible for it to take that long to recover... I felt great during the run - much better than two weeks before when we ran 18. 

Had a tempo run last night which was good. I was supposed to do an easy 5km today, but it was rainy, cold, and windy out and I didn't feel like going to the track. 

The really fun part about this week is that I tried on my goal skirt yesterday. It's a 26" waist and I was only able to wear it a few times last year between when I bought it and when I lost my mind and had a few months of carbapalooza (I was hit with really bad seasonal depression and gained 25 lbs). Anyway - not only could I put the skirt on, but it actually fit comfortably. I wore it all day. 

What's weird to me is that I'm still 15 lbs above what I got down to last year. And yet, all of my clothes from my smallest weight are fitting beautifully. I know, logically, that it's muscle gain. I've been lifting heavy for months and I definitely know that I've built muscle, but there is some sort of brain disconnect that tells me I can't possibly fit into my skinny clothes when the scale still says I'm not at my "goal" weight. I think it's time to revise the goal weight ;) I do still have some inches I can pinch, but as soon as those are gone I'm done. I really feel happy when I can walk into my closet and wear anything I want.

That is great about body changes. It is hard to ignore the weight, it is so ingrained in us, that too! 

Dd1 is really sick and ds has a headache, the other girls are ok, I'm feeling a little tired and my throat hurts... and my period just started so I'm resting up. I had my consult last night and we'll be testing my thyroid, hormones, vitamin levels, and adrenals. She suggested a different dosing schedule so I'm going to try it out. Sleeping has been pretty decent.  Maybe, maybe I can go work out tomorrow if I'm up for it or this might end up as a rest week.

• Like 7

Congratulations!  It is hard to let go of that mythical number on a scale, isn't it?  I always tell myself that it doesn't matter and to go by measurements, but the allure (or hate) of the scale always calls.  

• Like 3

Olga - Glad your dh is alright. All the best with your healthy eating. We've had good success with family healthy eating theme months, such as "Low-Sugar November." The more invested the people are with choosing the food items and menus, the more fun it is. 

Sarah - That's awesome you can fit into the skirt. Form and function are more important than simply body weight. You've got a slimmer form and you have muscles that function great!  Who wants low weight and no form or function? Not me, that's for sure. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

I'm glad that your dh is down with making lifestyle changes to be healthier. It's really discouraging as a spouse to see the one you love making unhealthy choices. I hope the changes go well. Will prepping for your dh help you at all? What is his exercise level? I've been glad for the times I could go to the gym with dh. Even though we don't workout "together" at least we are in the same space. For me, at least, I feel that there is only so much I can say. My dh signed up for personal training sessions and I am so happy about that. I kind of felt like when he did go to the gym he was not getting the most out of his time. 

• Like 4

Zumba today. I had about 10,000 steps before Zumba and am at a bit over 15,000 now. Don't anticipate too many more tonight! 

Sleep stunk last night, even though I got to bed on time. I had an unusually hard time falling asleep and then couldn't get back to sleep after waking up a couple hours early.  But at least I did what was under my control. 

• Like 6

I did some more barre this week - but Leah Sarago Barre instead of Barre3 because streaming was screwy the last few days and I have Leah Sarago on my computer.

I think Barre3 is really really glute heavy, and that may be pulling my knee out of alignment. I think that's why I like it so much, too. It works a big muscle group a lot so it feels really efficient. Leah Sarago Barre seems more well-balanced so I have noticed no knee issues from it but sometimes the work seems slower. OTOH, Leah Sarago Barre is really hard as a whole, so I need to change my mindset. I think I'll cancel my Barre3 subscription for a while and try to refocus on Leah Sarago, which I generally like and seems healthier for me.

I've been seeing a PT since summer. First, it was for my wrists and then, when she improved my wrists so much, my knees. Last night I scrubbed the tub so I could soak in the bath after exercising. It was so amazing to think that both activities (scrubbing and barre) seemed like "never again" activities as of last August! I've never been so thankful for the blessing of being able to scrub a tub as I am now.

Emily

• Like 6

Met my step goal Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday was more notable because it was a non-workout day so I had to really be intentional about it. YesterdayĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s step goal was easier to meet as I ran 40 minutes on the treadmill. My heart rate was lower than it had been at the end of the training cycle and just before my half marathon so looks like IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m better recovered than I was pre-race. Not sure what I want to make of that.

WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll run again today. If it was just me by myself weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d run outside, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m going with dh so it will probably be on the treadmill. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d rather run outside. I would have run outside yesterday, but with all the rain we had on Monday followed by snow, the sidewalks were pretty slippery. I have a hankering to run a favorite 6mi route. If itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s on the treadmill I think IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll cap it at 4mi cuz treadmills are boring.

I have a tendency to ignore my diet at the closer I get to the race. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s kind of counter productive to try to lose weight and train for performance so Sunday started the off season, letĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s pay better attention to what weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re eating cycle. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve got somewhere between 20-30lbs left to goal. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d like to define that by performance so itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s hazy. I think IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll know it when I get there even if I have some slight vanity related goals. I figure some of those can be accomplished even if the acale doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t read a smaller number, tho.

• Like 4

I had a tennis match lined up for this evening, but it fell through. Bummer. I don't know what exercise I'll be able to get in today. Depends on the walking or snowshoeing conditions in the area I'll be while dd teaches violin. It's currently -9 F (-23C)  with the windchill, so I need a wooded area to walk or I won't be doing it.  :o

• Like 4

Missed the bus this morning but decided to take the later one and just compress my workout.  I took a bit off my tempo for my run and decided to run for longer - ran a mile, walked a lap, then ran another mile, walked a couple of laps for cool down and then I had to quickly shower and change for work.  It was good.  I haven't run a mile without walking for probably over a year. 

• Like 4

Woot, got my appt for my blood draw scheduled for next Tues, this is for vitamins and thyroid. It should take 3-7 days for the results.

I felt tired last night and thought maybe whatever dd had was knocking me down but I don't feel as tired today. I've started my period too so it is hard to say how much of the fatigue is from that. I think I'm going to skip working out tonight and jump back in next week (fingers crossed nothing else comes our way). If dd continues to improve we are going to a cabin this weekend and are going to do a little hike if the weather allows. 

Here's hoping things are on the upswing.  The NP did offer me anti-depressants, I declined- I think it would likely be a bandaid and the depression is a result of my levels being off (considering all the other symptoms too). I guess we'll know shortly.

• Like 3

I'm glad that your dh is down with making lifestyle changes to be healthier. It's really discouraging as a spouse to see the one you love making unhealthy choices. I hope the changes go well. Will prepping for your dh help you at all? What is his exercise level? I've been glad for the times I could go to the gym with dh. Even though we don't workout "together" at least we are in the same space. For me, at least, I feel that there is only so much I can say. My dh signed up for personal training sessions and I am so happy about that. I kind of felt like when he did go to the gym he was not getting the most out of his time. 

Well, day 2 went well :) The main problem right now is adjustment and seeing what he actually eats. He used to get frozen meals for lunch, and while they were decent calories-wise, they were mainly carbs, including added sugars. So now I have more cooking plus logging all those recipes. Another problem for him is snacks, and they add up, so I guess the only way here is constantly keeping track. Without snacks his calorie count is very low, so we'll have to adjust. I can do it, it will just take some time getting used to it. As for exercise, those 3 hours I mentioned is gym with a personal trainer, since he said that unless someone is actually waiting for him and tells him exactly what to do, he may find more important stuff to do. I know it is much better than nothing, but the rest of his days is absolutely sedentary. I think I convinced him to do at least 30 minutes on the bike on the days without gym. We'll see how long it lasts.

I am feeling off again, tired and unmotivated. I did an hour of easy fencing yesterday, and it was hard on me. Today's sleep was not enough again, and I just want to hibernate and live on milk and cookies. Unfortunately, it is not in the plans for today.

• Like 3

Well, day 2 went well :) The main problem right now is adjustment and seeing what he actually eats. He used to get frozen meals for lunch, and while they were decent calories-wise, they were mainly carbs, including added sugars. So now I have more cooking plus logging all those recipes. Another problem for him is snacks, and they add up, so I guess the only way here is constantly keeping track. Without snacks his calorie count is very low, so we'll have to adjust. I can do it, it will just take some time getting used to it. As for exercise, those 3 hours I mentioned is gym with a personal trainer, since he said that unless someone is actually waiting for him and tells him exactly what to do, he may find more important stuff to do. I know it is much better than nothing, but the rest of his days is absolutely sedentary. I think I convinced him to do at least 30 minutes on the bike on the days without gym. We'll see how long it lasts.

I am feeling off again, tired and unmotivated. I did an hour of easy fencing yesterday, and it was hard on me. Today's sleep was not enough again, and I just want to hibernate and live on milk and cookies. Unfortunately, it is not in the plans for today.

It's great that he'll eat what you give him. I end up packing leftovers for dh - though I also have him fasting a lot, so the only day he brings a lunch to work is Wednesday. 

Also great that he's working with a personal trainer! I'm slowly trying to convince my dh to do the same thing. Right now he works out with our middle ds, but it means that both of them have to be available and willing to do it so it's only happening a couple of times a week. 

Would your dh go out and walk with you? Mine would agree to come for a walk - unfortunately I rarely feel like walking after dinner and clean up, so we usually only walk on the weekends. 

I've been tired all week - I think it's a combination of PMS and interrupted sleep. I'm just trying to push through and check all the boxes this week. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

• Like 4

Missed the bus this morning but decided to take the later one and just compress my workout.  I took a bit off my tempo for my run and decided to run for longer - ran a mile, walked a lap, then ran another mile, walked a couple of laps for cool down and then I had to quickly shower and change for work.  It was good.  I haven't run a mile without walking for probably over a year. 

Now that's motivation! I might have taken the missed bus as a sign I was supposed to stay home ;) 

• Like 5

I had a tennis match lined up for this evening, but it fell through. Bummer. I don't know what exercise I'll be able to get in today. Depends on the walking or snowshoeing conditions in the area I'll be while dd teaches violin. It's currently -9 F (-23C)  with the windchill, so I need a wooded area to walk or I won't be doing it.  :o

That's really cold!

• Like 3

I went for a walk in the woods with ds and did some playing outside balancing on logs, jumping around and such), I was outside for 30-45 minutes. Not some big workout bit at least some activity. I'm hoping for more energy tomorrow, it hasn't been bad considering I'm fighting of illness and have my period but it has been over a week since my last incident, I'm so ready to get some test results back.

• Like 4

I got in a snowshoe hike in the woods. It was sunny and the wind had died down. Two great reasons to get outdoors! It was incredibly LOUD, though, because there was a very hard layer of frozen ice/snow that I broke through with every step. I felt like a giant crashing through the woods. Some poor dog was barking at me for almost the entire 30 min walk. I say "poor dog" but at the time I was thinking "annoying dog." It was NOT a quiet, relaxing walk, but I did get some sun on my face.  :hurray:

• Like 6

I thought this article on winter weight gain was intriguing: https://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/winter-weight-gain  It appears that it is possibly related to sun exposure. 

If sun exposure was linked with keeping body temperature constant it would be nice to have more body fat in the winter. If it's just about available sunlight, I'd question why there are so may over-weight people in sunny places in the world. 

My personal take is that it's about food consumption and burning calories. In the winter, we Canadians in the cold regions tend to move less and eat either no different than or more than in the summer when we move more.

• Like 5

Getting ready to do a short video at home and researching gyms. My membership ran at the facility with a pool and I'd rather pick one closer. There is a gym *right* next to where the kids do TKD, I mean in the same parking lot so I would have longer to work out but I never liked it before, when I called they said the corporate rate for a single membership is $8, I wonder if they will let me qualify for that with my husband being the one working there. I'll have to research that because that's a steal. The gym is also only 15 min from my house, which is as close as anywhere I could go. 

- 10 min lower body pilates video

-4 min ab video

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

Only made 2 gym visits this week, one with my 15yo and the other with my 14yo. I've had so much to do, it's been hard to squeeze in.  

I think going with my daughters will work out (haha) in the long run. It's a little frustrating trying to get a good workout while getting them familiar with different equipment, good form, and finding the right weight, but they're picking it up okay.

My 14yo and I decided to do 20 minutes on the elliptical before heading home today.  The heart rate monitor had her at 101 a little while in, and a few minutes later it jumped to 198.  :huh: I know they're not all that accurate, but that's a crazy kind of jump. I may dig out my chest strap monitor for her to wear next time and see what it does. It has me a little nervous.

• Like 5

So despite getting to the gym yesterday and today, I'm in a pretty bad place right now.

My shoulder has been bugging me and seems to be getting worse.  I fear a rotator cuff injury.  I have to figure out when I can afford to go to physio and I'm dreading the result.  Speaking to a friend yesterday who had a similar injury did not alleviate my fears.

Also speaking to same friend, she mentioned her current weight and that depressed the heck out of me.  I'm trying really hard not to focus on weight, but I know my scale said I was 25 lbs heavier than what she said hers said for her and I can only imagine how bad I must look if that's true.  Ugh.  I have avoided looking at myself too much in mirrors for about 2 years now.  I know scales can be different but that's still a big gap.

And then mirrors - I went to yoga this morning at the gym and it is in the dance studio meaning I am staring at myself in a mirror.  Between that unpleasant fact and the fact that my shoulder hurts so badly that I couldn't do a lot of the poses very well, it was a depressing class.  I think I'll probably still go to the gym on Fridays but not go to that class.  Which sucks.  Because I love classes.  But I hate all the morning classes - there's only 1 available that early in the morning on most days and none on Tuesdays.  I might try to do a yoga/pilates video at home on Saturday where there are no mirrors and I can feel less bad about not being able to do things because of my shoulder (and, if I'm honest, my knees and wrist). And then I'll probably try to do some weights and cardio on Friday morning at the gym.  I've been wanting to go swimming but that is probably not good for my shoulder.

Blah, just rambling here.  

Back to my breakfast salad which I still haven't finished.  It takes a long time to eat salad at work.

• Like 5

So despite getting to the gym yesterday and today, I'm in a pretty bad place right now.

My shoulder has been bugging me and seems to be getting worse. I fear a rotator cuff injury. I have to figure out when I can afford to go to physio and I'm dreading the result. Speaking to a friend yesterday who had a similar injury did not alleviate my fears.

Also speaking to same friend, she mentioned her current weight and that depressed the heck out of me. I'm trying really hard not to focus on weight, but I know my scale said I was 25 lbs heavier than what she said hers said for her and I can only imagine how bad I must look if that's true. Ugh. I have avoided looking at myself too much in mirrors for about 2 years now. I know scales can be different but that's still a big gap.

And then mirrors - I went to yoga this morning at the gym and it is in the dance studio meaning I am staring at myself in a mirror. Between that unpleasant fact and the fact that my shoulder hurts so badly that I couldn't do a lot of the poses very well, it was a depressing class. I think I'll probably still go to the gym on Fridays but not go to that class. Which sucks. Because I love classes. But I hate all the morning classes - there's only 1 available that early in the morning on most days and none on Tuesdays. I might try to do a yoga/pilates video at home on Saturday where there are no mirrors and I can feel less bad about not being able to do things because of my shoulder (and, if I'm honest, my knees and wrist). And then I'll probably try to do some weights and cardio on Friday morning at the gym. I've been wanting to go swimming but that is probably not good for my shoulder.

Back to my breakfast salad which I still haven't finished. It takes a long time to eat salad at work.

Just (((hugs))). About yoga...modify, modify, modify. Listen to your body! Yoga is a practice. Ditch that idea of doing it "right". Hang in there <3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Taught yoga but came home, made brownies and ate one. Just one though. I guess today just became an S day and Sunday will be a No S day. S'all good. I will walk with the dog later but I think I will take a 10 minute nap first.

Edited by joyofsix
  • Like 5

I rowed 10,000 meters in just over an hour, but now IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m super tired and donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to do anything. Except my kids have a 5-hour swim meet this afternoon/evening.

I have to remember that even though I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have physical symptoms of my cold anymore, it still takes time to get your strength back to where you were before.

• Like 7

I'm going for a snowshoe with 2 girlfriends this afternoon while our dc all play hockey on the pond. We'll try not to slip and slide on the icy snow.  We will not share our weights or look into any mirrors. We'll be all bundled up in parkas anyway, so we look like marshmallows.  :laugh:  I'd love to weight how much I am with my boots, snowshoes, parka, and layers. I think it would be an interesting amount. I guess that would be my free weights for the work-out. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

I'm going for a snowshoe with 2 girlfriends this afternoon while our dc all play hockey on the pond. We'll try not to slip and slide on the icy snow. We will not share our weights or look into any mirrors. We'll be all bundled up in parkas anyway, so we look like marshmallows. :laugh: I'd love to weight how much I am with my boots, snowshoes, parka, and layers. I think it would be an interesting amount. I guess that would be my free weights for the work-out.

Your workouts always sound like so much fun.

• Like 5

My shoulder has been bugging me and seems to be getting worse.  I fear a rotator cuff injury.  I have to figure out when I can afford to go to physio and I'm dreading the result.  Speaking to a friend yesterday who had a similar injury did not alleviate my fears.

Also speaking to same friend, she mentioned her current weight and that depressed the heck out of me.  I'm trying really hard not to focus on weight, but I know my scale said I was 25 lbs heavier than what she said hers said for her and I can only imagine how bad I must look if that's true.  Ugh.  I have avoided looking at myself too much in mirrors for about 2 years now.  I know scales can be different but that's still a big gap.

And then mirrors - I went to yoga this morning at the gym and it is in the dance studio meaning I am staring at myself in a mirror.  Between that unpleasant fact and the fact that my shoulder hurts so badly that I couldn't do a lot of the poses very well, it was a depressing class.  I think I'll probably still go to the gym on Fridays but not go to that class.  Which sucks.  Because I love classes.  But I hate all the morning classes - there's only 1 available that early in the morning on most days and none on Tuesdays.  I might try to do a yoga/pilates video at home on Saturday where there are no mirrors and I can feel less bad about not being able to do things because of my shoulder (and, if I'm honest, my knees and wrist). And then I'll probably try to do some weights and cardio on Friday morning at the gym.  I've been wanting to go swimming but that is probably not good for my shoulder.

Back to my breakfast salad which I still haven't finished.  It takes a long time to eat salad at work.

If there is any way you can get to a doc for the shoulder, do it. Unlike most injuries, which get better if you rest them and don't move the joint, there is something weird about the shoulder and if you move it less than is normal, you can end up with a frozen shoulder. BTDT twice. Recovery is long. (months). I would encourage you to go and find out what's what and get a program of rehab exercises to do at home. Meanwhile, you can look up some frozen shoulder and rotator cuff rehab exercises online (make sure they are from a medical site) but don't self-treat instead of going to a doctor. 

• Like 6

Yesterday, I took a friend to her first oncology appointment. The news was actually good given that it's cancer, but it's still tiring emotionally and there was lots of sitting and waiting. I had intended to workout when I got home, but I was just tired. So I called it a rest day. Still got in over 10,000 steps. 

Last night, I got to bed on time and was in bed for 8 hours but woke up 3 hours early and couldn't go back to sleep. Argh. 

Today, I got outside late, but still got in 40 min of walking with 21 min of embedded jogging intervals before dark. I actually did my flexibility exercises when I got home.  :hurray:  I don't know why I put them off. They feel really good when I do them. I think it's just that the workout feels "done" and then I have something else to add onto it. 

• Like 7

Your workouts always sound like so much fun.

It was a lot of fun snowshoeing with my friends. We did some bushwhacking and some walking on the paths. The snow was really loud with the top layer of ice cracking as we walked, so talking was a little challenging. Still a really fun time!

I'm playing doubles tennis tomorrow evening with a competitive team as a spare. I've played on this team regularly in the past, so I know all the people really well. It will be a good time. I'll probably go snowshoeing tomorrow morning as well. 

I'm feeling slightly guilty for not using my recreation pass more this month, but it's been too much fun getting outside in the snow - now that it's actually warmed up. We did use the passes on Monday to skate, so that was good.

• Like 6

It's great that he'll eat what you give him. I end up packing leftovers for dh - though I also have him fasting a lot, so the only day he brings a lunch to work is Wednesday. 

Also great that he's working with a personal trainer! I'm slowly trying to convince my dh to do the same thing. Right now he works out with our middle ds, but it means that both of them have to be available and willing to do it so it's only happening a couple of times a week. 

Would your dh go out and walk with you? Mine would agree to come for a walk - unfortunately I rarely feel like walking after dinner and clean up, so we usually only walk on the weekends. 

I've been tired all week - I think it's a combination of PMS and interrupted sleep. I'm just trying to push through and check all the boxes this week. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

Without lunch, he would go out to eat, or bite the heads off all of his colleagues. But he did great yesterday with the lunch I packed. What I do find trouble with is keeping high enough calories and lower carbs. For him it's OK-ish, but for me it is almost impossible.

As for walking together, it doesn't seem feasible on weekdays, as we all get home at 8-9 and we still need to have dinner. I did manage to have him do those 30 min of cardio on the bike, so including today it is 5 days of exercise for him this week.

Lack of sleep kills me, too, especially together with PMS. I took naps last two days, and finally I feel human again, can't wait to go to fencing tonight, after all week of pushing myself. It looks like I need 9 hours of sleep to function well, and at night I can't do more than 8, unless I am totally exhausted, in which case I need more than 9 anyway.

Rejoice with me!  I'm officially down a size in my favorite jeans, and they fit comfortably!  I've always wanted to be a size 10...  *happy tears*

Yay! Congrats!

• Like 4

Without lunch, he would go out to eat, or bite the heads off all of his colleagues. But he did great yesterday with the lunch I packed. What I do find trouble with is keeping high enough calories and lower carbs. For him it's OK-ish, but for me it is almost impossible.

As for walking together, it doesn't seem feasible on weekdays, as we all get home at 8-9 and we still need to have dinner. I did manage to have him do those 30 min of cardio on the bike, so including today it is 5 days of exercise for him this week.

Lack of sleep kills me, too, especially together with PMS. I took naps last two days, and finally I feel human again, can't wait to go to fencing tonight, after all week of pushing myself. It looks like I need 9 hours of sleep to function well, and at night I can't do more than 8, unless I am totally exhausted, in which case I need more than 9 anyway.

Yay! Congrats!

Olga, is the bike a stationary bike? If so, this study might interest you, It came out last year but I recently ran across it: 

Here's the research study itself: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0154075    

The study had a group of sedentary males and randomly assigned each to control group, 45 min of cycling at moderate speed or a 10 min workout in which there were three 20 sec bursts of  intense cycling with 2 min rest periods.  3x/wk. The men had extensive pretesting including muscle biopsy. 

The study found equivalent gains for the 45 min steady cardio and the 10 mins that incorporated a total of 1 min sprints.  After 12 weeks, both exercise groups had increased VO2 peak by 19%, and insulin sensitivity  as well as mitochondrial content in muscles was increased. 

That might encourage your dh to "get on the bike" and follow the protocol. That is a lot of bang for your buck for 10 min. 

• Like 5

My 6 mile run the other day became 3.5 way too slow mles because we ran outside and to say there were puddles would be an understatement. Ponds. Small lakes. Ice. Uncleared sidewalks with snow on top, but rivers underneath. I wish the city was better about enforcing the Ă¢â‚¬Å“must clean your sidewalks within 24 hours of the end of the storm.Ă¢â‚¬ They enforce the rule, but only if someone complains and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll take my, Ă¢â‚¬Å“start on x street and just drive down the block!Ă¢â‚¬ In the end it was not nearly the pleasant, sun filled mid-winter run I had envisioned earlier in the day while waiting for dh. Stupid winter. Be cold, or warm. Snow, or not, but pick one! ThereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s also a small lake in my backyard because of course the ground is frozen and all this rain/melted snow has nowhere to go.

Then a rest day yesterday because there were all the things to do. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll run on the treadmill today because that was why we bought the membership after all.

I have reached a new lowest weight. Like, I weigh less than I did in high school or middle school. That gives me a grand total weight loss since 2014 of 105lbs. A small child basically. Betwen dh and I, we have lost more weight than I currently weigh.

• Like 8

Olga, is the bike a stationary bike? If so, this study might interest you, It came out last year but I recently ran across it: 

Here's the research study itself: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0154075    

The study had a group of sedentary males and randomly assigned each to control group, 45 min of cycling at moderate speed or a 10 min workout in which there were three 20 sec bursts of  intense cycling with 2 min rest periods.  3x/wk. The men had extensive pretesting including muscle biopsy. 

The study found equivalent gains for the 45 min steady cardio and the 10 mins that incorporated a total of 1 min sprints.  After 12 weeks, both exercise groups had increased VO2 peak by 19%, and insulin sensitivity  as well as mitochondrial content in muscles was increased. 

That might encourage your dh to "get on the bike" and follow the protocol. That is a lot of bang for your buck for 10 min. 

Yes, it is a stationary bike. I read a few studies on this when I first started using it (I think I prefer research to actually doing something :) ), and it does look like most of them support those findings. Actually, some of them suggest that interval training is better for mitochondrial content, although it might be at more intense levels. I did 20 minutes at 30 seconds on, 1.5 minutes off, and it was very doable. I also tried doing it Tabata style, which is only 4 minutes, I think 10 sec on, 20 sec off, or the other way around, and I was absolutely totally dead after. I decided I need to improve my fitness level first :) . My DH does incorporate some intervals, but I need to tell him to be more systematic about it. Although I want him to have his stress test first, before going all out, as the source of his chest pain is still unclear and it does appear during exercise, although not exclusively.

• Like 4

I have reached a new lowest weight. Like, I weigh less than I did in high school or middle school. That gives me a grand total weight loss since 2014 of 105lbs. A small child basically. Betwen dh and I, we have lost more weight than I currently weigh.

Wow! Congratulations! And sorry about all the water on your run.

I went skiing with my entire family today, probably for the last time in several years due to my boys ages / college plans / life plans in the next few years. It was a perfect day and I could not have been more happy.

• Like 6

Wow! Congratulations! And sorry about all the water on your run.

I went skiing with my entire family today, probably for the last time in several years due to my boys ages / college plans / life plans in the next few years. It was a perfect day and I could not have been more happy.

Glad you all had a wonderful time!  Skiing is a really fun family activity. How were the conditions?

• Like 2

Glad you all had a wonderful time! Skiing is a really fun family activity. How were the conditions?

Surprisingly good. We have not had as much snow this year as we normally do, but had a couple of big storms in the last 10 days. It was blue sky and sunshine, not too cold (around 30F), and not too icy on the runs. Seriously a day I will look back on in the years to come when my boys are all grown and off in the world.

• Like 5

I took my girls to the circus today. I ate some cracker jack but avoided all the other traps. Yay! Got my sunshine. Sleep however. I slept a bit, was up and read for 2 hours and then slept a bit more. I never feel bad but I can't help thinking my 6 hours sleeping norm is not good for me.

• Like 4

Yes, it is a stationary bike. I read a few studies on this when I first started using it (I think I prefer research to actually doing something :) ), and it does look like most of them support those findings. Actually, some of them suggest that interval training is better for mitochondrial content, although it might be at more intense levels. I did 20 minutes at 30 seconds on, 1.5 minutes off, and it was very doable. I also tried doing it Tabata style, which is only 4 minutes, I think 10 sec on, 20 sec off, or the other way around, and I was absolutely totally dead after. I decided I need to improve my fitness level first :) . My DH does incorporate some intervals, but I need to tell him to be more systematic about it. Although I want him to have his stress test first, before going all out, as the source of his chest pain is still unclear and it does appear during exercise, although not exclusively.

Oh wow, yes. Definitely, he should have a  cardiac workup before intense exercise. It could be referred pain from the upper back (I used to have that) but it's smart to r/o the heard disease. 

About the studies---yeah, I read the one where it was 4 minutes of max heart rate  :svengo: and 3 min of slower intervals.  That is a long stretch at max. A personal trainer I occasionally see (she has a masters in exercise physiology) says she is working up to that long at max. She's young and strong, too!  They didn't test more reasonable intervals in that study so I'm hoping there will be a follow-up study that tests various interval levels for outcome.  :)

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 4

My 6 mile run the other day became 3.5 way too slow mles because we ran outside and to say there were puddles would be an understatement. Ponds. Small lakes. Ice. Uncleared sidewalks with snow on top, but rivers underneath. I wish the city was better about enforcing the Ă¢â‚¬Å“must clean your sidewalks within 24 hours of the end of the storm.Ă¢â‚¬ They enforce the rule, but only if someone complains and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not sure theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll take my, Ă¢â‚¬Å“start on x street and just drive down the block!Ă¢â‚¬ In the end it was not nearly the pleasant, sun filled mid-winter run I had envisioned earlier in the day while waiting for dh. Stupid winter. Be cold, or warm. Snow, or not, but pick one! ThereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s also a small lake in my backyard because of course the ground is frozen and all this rain/melted snow has nowhere to go.

Then a rest day yesterday because there were all the things to do. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll run on the treadmill today because that was why we bought the membership after all.

Congratulations!  More like a young teenage girl than a small child's worth of weight.  That is really an awesome accomplishment.  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

I hope your weather cooperates soon!

• Like 5

Strength training on the machines at the gym tonight. Improved on my assisted pull-ups and went backwards on the chest press. Go figure. Lower body was where I thought it should be. I have a little over 8000 steps without doing anything specific other than a 5 min treadmill warm up at the gym and walking back and forth to my neighbor's 3 times for stuff. It's 250 steps away so it adds up! 

So grand total this week: 2 strength training workouts,  4 days with 40+ min of cardio for a total of 195 min of which 95 was vigorous, and 3 flexibility sessions. I really should do another one tonight, but I'd have to warm up first which becomes an obstacle in my brain. Steps are about 10,000 on non-cardio days and 14-21,000 on cardio days. 

Sleep was good last night. Close to a full 8 hours of sleep. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 5