Menu

shout out for Quark's son

SoCal_Bear

What a great article, too! I love the balance. (DD agrees with him-she hates to be seen as “some herpetology prodigy†because she feels that she just likes snakes and wants to learn about them, nothing special).

There is no way I’d be nearly as confident at DD being on the path she’s on if you hadn’t shown that it could work so well. I look forward to his adventures in the future.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

He’s very well rounded and genuinely so. You’ve done a lot to give him an excellent education and now the sky’s the limit. I think this is what education should be like.

ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Thank you MBM and everyone else!

A few weeks ago, despite being so happy about the article, I fell back into my habit of looking at the things I had not done right. I was counting all the ways that I thought I'd failed this kid, number one being how little exercise we both do (no matter how hard we try that always falls by the way side). Kiddo started aikido lessons a couple months ago and I joined as well but had to stop due to some old injuries on my back and knee. A continued but then stopped Aikido for a few weeks when we were traveling. When we got home, A surprised me by saying how much Aikido has helped! Now the kid is training for the yellow belt with much excitement.

This is probably a tiny little accomplishment compared to everything else kids here and in our neighborhood do with martial arts. But it made me so happy to see A willingly pick this class and now keep at it despite how challenging physical things still are. A's height coupled with low muscle tone and general gawkiness have always made exercise hard. I don't think anyone who reads the article will realize how hard.

But I think for A, it really is a continuum. I have to remind myself over and over that there is no end to the things we parents will worry about and work on for our kids and that while some areas come so easily, others will probably take a whole lifetime to nurture and get started, let alone complete or master.

It's so important to hug them and love them and celebrate little things. It's so important to not compare (still very hard for me). It's so important to be our kids number one cheerleaders.

I know I did one thing right...and it's so funny that the reporter remembered me saying it...to follow those sparkly eyes. I am glad I trusted my gut with that.

Hug them tight. These younger years are too fleeting.

• Like 10

Thank you MBM and everyone else!

A few weeks ago, despite being so happy about the article, I fell back into my habit of looking at the things I had not done right. I was counting all the ways that I thought I'd failed this kid, number one being how little exercise we both do (no matter how hard we try that always falls by the way side). Kiddo started aikido lessons a couple months ago and I joined as well but had to stop due to some old injuries on my back and knee. A continued but then stopped Aikido for a few weeks when we were traveling. When we got home, A surprised me by saying how much Aikido has helped! Now the kid is training for the yellow belt with much excitement.

This is probably a tiny little accomplishment compared to everything else kids here and in our neighborhood do with martial arts. But it made me so happy to see A willingly pick this class and now keep at it despite how challenging physical things still are. A's height coupled with low muscle tone and general gawkiness have always made exercise hard. I don't think anyone who reads the article will realize how hard.

But I think for A, it really is a continuum. I have to remind myself over and over that there is no end to the things we parents will worry about and work on for our kids and that while some areas come so easily, others will probably take a whole lifetime to nurture and get started, let alone complete or master.

It's so important to hug them and love them and celebrate little things. It's so important to not compare (still very hard for me). It's so important to be our kids number one cheerleaders.

I know I did one thing right...and it's so funny that the reporter remembered me saying it...to follow those sparkly eyes. I am glad I trusted my gut with that.

Hug them tight. These younger years are too fleeting.

He sounds like a delightful young man with good character :). You should be proud.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...