Menu

Open and go science

lulalu

Looking for an open and go science for 1st. Ds loves science and wants to be a scientist (archelogist in particular). I find it so cute how specific he is in his interests. And want to follow his intrests as much as I can at this age.

This year we did a lot of Lets read and find out. And I got the digital BFSU. BFSU is just too loose for me, and too much planning. And we have watched all the Magic School Bus multiple times.

I want something with a lot of experiments to satisfy ds wants. Something short to read and discuss. A perk would be if I could buy a package for all supplies as most "common" things I don't have access to.

I haven't used it, but have researched it and it sounds like it might be what you're looking for.

Science in the Beginning by Jay Wile It's a series that's supposed to start in early elementary in order to be done by middle grades to move into his other programs from Apologia. It seems to be pretty open and go, with some reading of information and an experiment for each chapter. (I assume you'd do one chapter a day a sit-down). It also has a kit available through christianbook.com.

It has it's own direction, so you'd probably have a hard time targeting his interests, but maybe it'll give him new interests, or at least fun.

• Like 1

Nancy Larson is open and go, comes with the kit, and is totally scripted.  I didn't find it to my liking, but other people like it.

NOEO level 1 sets have books and a kit for each year.

Mystery Science is mostly open and go.  You use things around the house, but the videos and worksheets are on the computer.  It's modeled a lot like an easier-to-use BFSU.

• Like 1

Another vote for REAL Science Odyssey from Pandia Press. Very simple to implement. I go through the materials list before starting and either order the kit from Home Science Tools or spend a week gathering and building my own. They have a try before you buy option on their site that will allow you to access everything for the first several weeks.