Menu

online g3 class reviews

Hi all,

I'm thinking of having ds12 (almost 13) do a G3 class. He's doing WTMA's WWS 2 and I think he'd appreciate more outside classes (he's asked for them). He has done really well with his online classes so far. He may be going to school next year, but everything is *complicated*. 

Anyways, what did you think of Online G3 classes? This would be a literature class. I might have him do the writing component, too.

Thanks,

Emily

• Like 1

My eldest took Shakespeare's Comedies this past semester. She's on the high end as far as age and isn't used to having a class without grading/tests, so there were some adjustments.

I would say that you get out of the class what you put in it. It is easy to add onto if you want more and enjoyable as is if it meets you needs.

Headmistress G. was enthusiastic and encouraging.

My eldest took Shakespeare's Comedies this past semester. She's on the high end as far as age and isn't used to having a class without grading/tests, so there were some adjustments.

I would say that you get out of the class what you put in it. It is easy to add onto if you want more and enjoyable as is if it meets you needs.

How old is your eldest?

Emily

Actually, on second thought, he would hate a class without grades. The firm feedback from online classes is one of his favorite parts.

Emily

• Like 1

My DS has been taking them, intermittently, since around 5th grade I believe. These are not rigorous classes. I think of it more as book club with great selections and very good discussion. For that, they are great and we are back to taking one this spring. DS is really looking forward to it.

We’ve never done the writing supplement and the upcoming class doesn’t offer it. Our writing is done elsewhere (due to writing/lit/languages being my DS’s interest we double on these classes each semester).

• Like 1

Actually, on second thought, he would hate a class without grades. The firm feedback from online classes is one of his favorite parts.

Emily

My oldest is a junior in high school, so OLD. But I would guess the average age might have been 10-12.

They have a grading option for some classes (and I think all the writing classes have grades). I don't know how that works, though.

She also took a teen track class (linguistics) and it was harder, but, again, what you put into it is what you get out of it. (With the Lightning Lit materials for Shakespeare, it is easy to assign additional output.)

I needed a Live class that would be engaging without being a huge time suck. OnlineG3 had that. They aren't rigorous like a Lukeion Latin or an AoPS class. I would agree that they are a social outlet for many kids. It was easy to get the assignments done in 2-3 hours per week. You have to be self-motivated, though, since no one is standing over you giving you a grade on the discussion posts or even making sure you are doing them.

It certainly isn't for everyone and would mot have worked for my Dd#1 even a year ago. If dd hadn't had an interest in these classes, it wouldn't have worked this year, either!

• Like 1

My kids have taken quite a few of them over the years. They have all really enjoyed them. They are not used to getting grades, though, so the non-grading of the classes was not an issue. They enjoyed the lectures and participating on the message board.

Edited by snowbeltmom
  • Like 2

My kids have taken quite a few of them over the years. They have all really enjoyed them. They are not used to getting grades, though, so the non-grading of the classes was not an issue. They enjoyed the lectures and participating on the message board.

Neither are mine, but my oldest has been thriving with the excellent feedback he gets in some online classes and that is his favorite part. He also likes the specific tasks and deadlines.

Emily

Neither are mine, but my oldest has been thriving with the excellent feedback he gets in some online classes and that is his favorite part. He also likes the specific tasks and deadlines.

Emily

Specific tasks and deadlines there are, there’s a checklist before each class. But it’s not hard stuff. I think my DS enjoys the low hanging fruit aspect, considering almost everything else he does is hard (for us anyway) ;)
  • Like 2

DD10 is in Expo 1 with WTMA this year, but she has also done several Bravewriter classes for creative writing, and took a Greek History class with G3 last summer, and Grammar Town this past semester also at G3. She is one of those kids that enjoys rigor and accountability though, so she actually didn’t enjoy not having grades for her assignments. I think it made her feel like the teachers didn’t “really care†if you completed the homework or not. There were also a couple of younger and kind of silly kids in both of those classes that the teacher spent a lot of time redirecting. I think she wants to stick with WTMA for now, but it’s a shame since G3 has some great class offerings. Oh, and she didn’t enjoy that the G3 didn’t have live video of the professors. Not sure if they’re all like that, or just the two we took.