Menu

Science

We are 4 years in to homeschooling and I have yet to find the right science. We have used apologia, Memoria Press, Sonlight F (our favorite so far, but still not what I want). I am thinking either a live online for 7th or maybe BJU—any favorites aside from those or favorite live online classes?

Thank you!

Edited by mamamoose

We very much disliked the Apologia elementary series but love love love the Apologia middle and high school series by Dr. Jay Wile. They are very different even though from the same publisher. If you're looking at 7th grade instead of elementary you might want to give them another look.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Skip it this year.

Or tell her to choose a topic, get a bunch of library books about it and then either talk about it together or have her produce something on the subject.

Is there a science-specific skill you want her to learn this year?

Library books aren’t a viable option for us. It’s 75 miles from here. ;)

We very much disliked the Apologia elementary series but love love love the Apologia middle and high school series by Dr. Jay Wile. They are very different even though from the same publisher. If you're looking at 7th grade instead of elementary you might want to give them another look.

Well I don’t dislike the apologia, but the kids get bored staying on one topic for an entire school year. Maybe I will check it out.

Well I don’t dislike the apologia, but the kids get bored staying on one topic for an entire school year. Maybe I will check it out.

They definitely don't stay on one topic. A lot like a traditional textbook but much more in depth and from a Christian perspective. I honestly don't know how I'd even contemplate high school science without Dr Wile because he does the teaching for me! :)

They definitely don't stay on one topic. A lot like a traditional textbook but much more in depth and from a Christian perspective. I honestly don't know how I'd even contemplate high school science without Dr Wile because he does the teaching for me! :)

Is there a dvd lesson?

I also recommend Dr. Wile's science. If you still have younger ones at home as well, I strongly encourage you to take a look at his fairly new 5-volume series for K-6: Science in the Beginning, Science in the Ancient World, Science in the Scientific Revolution, Science in the Age of Reason, and Science in the Industrial Age. Really good stuff!

• Like 1

I also recommend Dr. Wile's science. If you still have younger ones at home as well, I strongly encourage you to take a look at his fairly new 5-volume series for K-6: Science in the Beginning, Science in the Ancient World, Science in the Scientific Revolution, Science in the Age of Reason, and Science in the Industrial Age. Really good stuff!

My 7th grader used the elementary K-6 series and it was great, even for a 7th grader. It was so refreshing to have a variety of topics, not just one topic all year. It included history and biographies of scientists more in depth than Apologia, so I didn't feel the need to supplement so much. (We have often read the MP, Exploring the World of...  series alongside our Apologia to get more of the narrative of science. I didn't have to do that with the new book.)  I wish we would have had these for all of our homeschool, but sadly my kids have outgrown them, so we only got to use it that one year. 

We did do the new Wile chemistry for my high schooler. I can't comment much on it. We had used Apologia for her physical science and biology. But her co-op teacher liked the look of the new chemistry better than Apologia. But to me, the format wasn't much different than Apologia sciences, though I had no experience with its chemistry since it was our first time in chemistry.  We are reading the Exploring the World of Chemistry to supplement for her and to introduce my 8th grader to chemistry a bit before high school too on top of their regular sciences this year. We are back to our old ways. I just love those books for read alouds.

• Like 1