Menu

Abeka for history/geography/science - for a self-learner....

Does anyone use Abeka in the high school years for these subjects? My ds is using Abeka Pre-Alg. (8th) this year and LOVES it. I think Abeka is pretty good for a self-learner (he wants to learn things on his own will little help from me). I've not heard it used often here - is there a reason?

and he really enjoyed Abeka's Geography and Economics courses (both one semester). A homeschooling friend of mine uses Abeka for science and raves about it. (We use Apologia and are happy with that approach). I've not heard good things about their high school math (Algebra 1 and beyond), though. Something about them not being updated to current standards or such...

I've had the 'opportunity' to use ABeka's high school math texts while teaching at a private school. I had to supplement nearly every lesson--and we threw out the Geometry text!

A few years ago ABeka released their improved Pre-Algebra text. It is a pretty good text too. Along with the previous elementary texts, this program was developed by ABeka and holds more current standards.

Unfortunately, ABeka has not yet revised their high school program, in fact is is not really their program. It is a REPRINT of Heath Mathematics texts from the 1914's to the 1920's! Much has changed in math education and standards in the last 80 years!

The high school texts, besides lacking certain concepts and depth, are seriously lacking in student helps. The texts are anything BUT self-teaching. The teacher's edition is just the student text with answers filled in--no teaching examples either. This program was designed to be used by a trained math teacher--and is basically a book of problems with little instruction.

Their Geometry text is the ABSOLUTE WORST math text I've ever seen. Period.

I once spoke to an ABeka representative about this situation. He told me that there was a DEMAND for "CHRISTIAN" math texts at the high school level--and that since it took so much time and money to develop one, they purchased the reprint rights from a discontinued program and simply replaced the cover and added a Bible verse/reference on the first page--making it "Christian"!

I use, and have used, many of ABeka's other programs while homeschooling my children. It is impractical to believe that one publisher would be strong across the board (different subject areas) and at different grade levels.