Menu

Mission Impossible: Christmas Dinner Edition

AmandaVT

I have a trickier than normal Christmas Dinner mission this year. We have:

3 vegetarians/almost vegetarians (myself, DH and DS).

One person who dislikes a good number of veggies

One person who was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol and is avoiding anything salty, almost all dairy, no egg, and has similar tastes to the next person on the list.

One person who prefers "normal" food and thinks things like sushi, stir-fry, tofu, and anything that wouldn't be found on a 50's dinner table in middle America are weird, freaky food.

Anyone else who may come will not be fussy. 

Here's what I'm thinking - we usually do mostly appetizers on Christmas afternoon, generally munchy stuff. 

Spinach bars - I can make these with less cheese than normal and cut back on the salt

Mini twice baked potatoes - half with a cheesy mashed potato filling, the other half with broccoli inside the mashed potato and no butter or cheese

Maybe a big hearty salad of some sort? The non-veggie liker does like salad. 

Minestrone soup and fresh whole grain bread

Cheese and crackers and a veggie/hummus platter and maybe some almonds or something and people can pick and choose what they like.

Any other ideas? Does it sound like I'm covering everyone?

The non-veggie lover will eat the twice baked potatoes, cheese and crackers, salad and the soup (I'll make sure the veggies in the salad and soup are ones she'll eat)

The newly minted health issue person will eat the salad, soup, potatoes w/ broccoli and veggies/hummus

The non-weird food person will happily eat everything on this list

We (vegetarians) aren't fussy and will eat everything here. 

Am I missing anything? That should be enough food for 6-10 people (depending on who comes)? 

• Like 1

That sounds good to me!

I am dealing with a similar situation. Two vegetarians, two pretty darn close to vegetarians, one low sodium and no weird foods, one with no teeth who can't wear dentures, one with Crohn's (acceptable food list is ever changing). Two of the above people are also moderately lactose intolerant and one also needs to be careful about sodium.

And then there a bunch of people who pretty much just want meat and carbs, and a few that will eat pretty much anything!

So for us Christmas Eve is mostly snacky foods.

- A piece of beef on a rotisserie (then sliced for sandwiches or just plain)

- Assorted rolls

- Cheese tray

- Lettuce/tomato/onion/pickles/etc. tray for making the sandwiches

- Deviled eggs

- Fruit tray

- Veggie tray with guacamole, hummus, and a sour cream dip

- Nuts

- Cookies/candies/goodies

We get low sodium cheeses and all of the homemade stuff has no salt added. We do our best to accommodate a variety of diets. We also welcome people to bring a favorite finger food!

I am also doing Christmas dinner for the same group!

• Like 2

I'd probably roast a turkey breast for the non- and near-vegetarians.  That's pretty lean meat, and it has a festive 'feel'.  Plus it provides that essential 'roast beast' dish for the traditionalists.  In past years I have seen rolled, stuffed turkey breasts at Costco IIRC, which makes it even easier.  IIRC the stuffing had cranberries in it.  

For me twice baked potatoes in two varieties would be a big fat PITA with a lot of last minute responsibilities.  So I'd probably just make wild rice pilaf with pecans, chopped onions, and celery in it.  That has to cook for a long time, so it's easy to prepare ahead and pop into the oven when people sit down for appetizers.  Plus it's a hearty vegetarian dish that still is 'normalish'.

I think salads are wonderful with a heavy dinner.  Great idea.  

What about dessert?  I'd go with a cookie platter and a big pan of apple crisp personally.

I'd probably roast a turkey breast for the non- and near-vegetarians.  That's pretty lean meat, and it has a festive 'feel'.  Plus it provides that essential 'roast beast' dish for the traditionalists.  In past years I have seen rolled, stuffed turkey breasts at Costco IIRC, which makes it even easier.  IIRC the stuffing had cranberries in it.  

For me twice baked potatoes in two varieties would be a big fat PITA with a lot of last minute responsibilities.  So I'd probably just make wild rice pilaf with pecans, chopped onions, and celery in it.  That has to cook for a long time, so it's easy to prepare ahead and pop into the oven when people sit down for appetizers.  Plus it's a hearty vegetarian dish that still is 'normalish'.

I think salads are wonderful with a heavy dinner.  Great idea.  

What about dessert?  I'd go with a cookie platter and a big pan of apple crisp personally.

As someone who has to watch sodium, if you decide to go with turkey, be sure to look at the sodium content. Often they shoot it up with some kind of "broth" and the sodium content can get up there. This is especially true for prepared chicken and turkey. So just check that. It can vary quite a bit by brand.