Menu

Looking for complete LA for 5th grade

Calizzy

I am wanting a single curriculum for language arts for my 5th grader next year. She reads great and loves writing. We are pretty shaky on grammar, and I don’t really care about diagramming. I’m thinking about the MCT set but wants some more options to look at. Any suggestions?

When you say that she's great and reading and writing but shaky on grammar, that makes me wonder whether an all-in-one is really the best for for her. I've used both CLE and The Good and the Beautiful as all-in-one but eventually moved away from both because my kids were at different levels in the different areas of language arts. It made more sense for me to separate out reading, writing, spelling and grammar so I could meet them their levels and either slow down or speed up as needed. That's hard to do with an all-in-one.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Her sentences are good, make sense, and are descriptive. We just haven’t done much in the way of formal grammar instruction. She probably can’t label many of the parts of speech, but her sentences using them correctly,

Edited by Calizzy

Her sentences are good, make sense, and are descriptive. We just haven’t done much in the way of formal grammar instruction. She probably can’t label many of the parts of speech, but her sentences using them correctly,

Jumping into an all-in-one like CLE at the fifth grade level would be tough from a grammar perspective, I think. With regard to the G&B, she'd probably test into a lower level based on the grammar alone.

Maybe you could do some targeted grammar work the rest of this year with the goal of moving towards an all-in-one next year?

What is formal grammar for, in your opinion?  I just ask because I have two sons who learned to be decent writers mostly from reading decent writing.  They had very light grammar instruction.  One is studying English and Classics at a world top three university for English.  The other has five good offers from UK top twenty-five universities to study English and French.

If your daughter is just absorbing decent style from writing, you might be interested in Galore Park.  It's what my boys used.  This is the book for age 10-11.  The books can be obtained with free shipping to North America from bookdepository.co.uk

https://www.galorepark.co.uk/getmedia/39d54814-ce0b-4892-8175-3ff196f5b997/867019-English-for-Common-Entrance-One-sample

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

I am wanting a single curriculum for language arts for my 5th grader next year. She reads great and loves writing. We are pretty shaky on grammar, and I don’t really care about diagramming. I’m thinking about the MCT set but wants some more options to look at. Any suggestions?

A "single curriculum for language arts" would include composition, literature, spelling, penmanship. So, did you want a single source for all of those? Or did you want to focus on grammar, since you say y'all are "shaky" on it? If you want just grammar, and no diagramming, then my recommendation would be Easy Grammar.

What is formal grammar for, in your opinion? I just ask because I have two sons who learned to be decent writers mostly from reading decent writing. They had very light grammar instruction. One is studying English and Classics at a world top three university for English. The other has five good offers from UK top twenty-five universities to study English and French.

If your daughter is just absorbing decent style from writing, you might be interested in Galore Park. It's what my boys used. This is the book for age 10-11. The books can be obtained with free shipping to North America from bookdepository.co.uk

https://www.galorepark.co.uk/getmedia/39d54814-ce0b-4892-8175-3ff196f5b997/867019-English-for-Common-Entrance-One-sample

I'm gonna guess that their grammar understanding was augmented by their Latin studies, right Laura?

I'm gonna guess that their grammar understanding was augmented by their Latin studies, right Laura?

Well yes, but all university-bound US students study a foreign language, I believe, so learning the basics of grammar is inevitable. I learned basic grammar through French at school, not English.

Well yes, but all university-bound US students study a foreign language, I believe, so learning the basics of grammar is inevitable. I learned basic grammar through French at school, not English.

Yeah, but my kids have learned a lot more grammar from an inflected language than I did learning Spanish.

We were in a similar situation and wound up going with MCT. I think we used it a little behind the recommended ages: Island in 4th, Town in 5th, & Voyage in 6th. MCT was a very good match for my kids who love to read and write and all seem to have an intuitive ability to write grammatically. We did some creative writing beyond MCT and followed our own literature lists, but MCT was a very solid foundation for foreign lang study and for more advanced writing instruction. 

Oh no, inevitable is such a strong word. Whole high school foreign language departments manage to churn out "Spanish 2" students who meet foreign language requirements for graduation without ever bothering to allude to the fact that Spanish utilizes grammar.

That's an issue for sure, but if a student is absorbing English just by reading, as I and my sons did, then all that is really necessary beyond that is knowledge of the barest parts of speech. Formal grammar and punctuation studies, for those people, is not what leads to good writing.

As an example, one if my sons could spot a missing colon before he knew what a colon was called. He had read and absorbed enough decent writing that it was obvious to him.

I know that I am describing a subset of pupils, which was why I was careful early in this thread to try to tease out the OP's needs