Menu

K Suggestions?

tacmom

New Homeschool mom here. We've been casually doing Abeka Academy video school for K4 over the last 12 months while we adjusted to a new baby, but I'm starting to look at curriculums for next year (fall). I don't plan to continue with Abeka, but my son LOVES the busy work/ workbook pages/ coloring pages, etc, and honestly, he has learned a lot. I'm researching Kindergarten options, and I like the philosophy behind Heart of Dakota/Sonlight, etc. But those basically have none of the "busy work", correct? Which I understand, from an educational philosophy standpoint, is a good thing. But for a kiddo who loves that kind of thing...any suggestions/thoughts? I welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks. 

That he loves the busy work now does not mean he will love it forever. Or to put it another way, if the busy work is replaced with meaningful, engaging activities, he won't miss the busy work.

Or you could just buy cute coloring books that don't claim to be "educational" and crayons and let him do those on his "free" time. :-)

• Like 2

Mine has an aversion to all things writing and drawing, so my goal is just encouraging putting pencil to paper. So my recommendations are fine motor work, not other learning.

We like the Kumon books, but dd struggles after the first third of Easy Mazes, so we repeat those over and over, but that increases dd's dread and boredom.

What works... character books! Dd found Curious George's Adventurers in Learning workbook at the thrift store. I'm not usually a fan of licensed character type books, thinking they are just trying to sell something, but hey! If dd actually wants to do this, it will get the ball rolling! She's also getting a Piggie and Gerald activity book for Christmas.

Also, how to draw books. We like Emberley and the Draw Write Now series. I do them with dd using my non-dominant hand and we all get a laugh.

• Like 1

Well, if he's enjoying it, it's not busy work, it's practice, right? He's getting something of value of it. Busywork is in the eye of the beholder, and it feels to me like maybe we shouldn't refer to something that your son likes doing and is learning from as if it is without merit-- the attention he's giving it, and the fact that he takes pleasure in it, is what makes it not mere busywork for him. It may be part of his learning style. It may be a phase. But sometimes thinking of things in categories as "busywork" or "meaningful work" can blind us to the fact that learning and growing is about the person doing the work, and what they're getting out of it, not a magic that only some materials possess.

If you do gravitate to a curriculum that doesn't include much of this kind of stuff, googling printables for the topics you're studying will likely turn up a ton of free options (if you have a printer). Dover also has some good books that can accompany science or history studies, although you may not be there yet age-wise. Inexpensive workbooks and activity books abound, and would make a fine supplement to any curriculum for a kid who finds them fun and engaging. Some kids do enjoy them a lot, and my kids have gone through stages where they would do them in spurts depending on their moods.

• Like 6

I like the Rod and Staff ABC series. CLE has a similar program that is also good.

For math, I like Singapore Essential Math K. It's two workbooks. I used Cuisinaire rods as a manipulative with these books. I also did a handwriting book (HWT for one kid, Pentime cursive for my advanced writer).

For reading, I've only used a program with one kid (the other two taught themselves before K), and he needed a bunch of different programs and time before he started to read. I liked Phonics Pathways a lot though. Rod and Staff Phonics and Reading grade 1 really got him reading independently, but I wouldn't necessarily use that in K. He used it in 2nd grade, though it's obviously designed for 1st. ;)

I liked Sonlight P4/5 for my middle son's K year. Lots of sitting down and reading. :) Then I added the reading/math/writing instruction as separate things. MFW K is another one I've used that was good.

• Like 1

Agreeing with the others, it's not busy work if he is getting something out of it.

If you really want a workbook oriented boxed curriculum, check out Rainbow Resource's starter packages.

If you would rather go with Sonlight or Heart of Dakota, you can always supplement with a variety of workbooks he will enjoy. There are tons of free options on the internet or you can pay for a subscription to somewhere like Education.com and print out as many of their workbooks as you like or you can order printed and bound workbooks or you can just pick up workbook from any brick and mortar store you can find them in. Anywhere from Dollar Tree to teacher stores to Costco to Walmart/Target to book stores carry workbooks. Pick them up for cheap when they clearance back to school sale items just after the local schools begin their year and you will always have a supply of workbook fun for him.

My biggest regret in homeschooling was not listening to the advice I got to not use a program for K. Now, that was me. Some "programs" are more rigid than others. ITA w/ looking at Timberdoodle, CTC and Sonlight. You could look at Sonlight's titles online and hit the library. 

Play, fresh air, sunshine, exercise, reading aloud, playing at school (agreeing w/ workbooks as their attention and interest allow), playing math games are most important at this age IMO. You could invest in audiobooks and memory work cds and play at that too. A lot seeps in w/ such play and background music. 

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 4