Menu

Looking at Montessori High School- What should I ask?

What should I ask when we tour? What should I be looking for?

The website has very little about the high school, but I know they have integrated science, no sports and no music, but some sort of "real" small business class.The high school is a very new component of a long standing Infant-grade 8 program. They only have 9th grade this year, and will add 10th next year.

I have some reservations about this. It's 45 minutes one-way, on the way to nothing else. If dd attends next year, she's young enough we could start high school over the following year. DH and DD definitely want to take a look, so I guess I'm game. This school told us she was too "out of the box" when she was going into first grade (she's accelerated), but the head of the high school is willing to talk.

I am concerned about the lack of music and sports because I feel like mastering something (like music or sports) is an important part of a solid education.

PM me if you like.

Thanks!

Are there other opportunities for music/sports locally?

I would be asking about university entrance: what subjects they will be studying, how they will craft a transcript around that, how that fits with university requirements, whether there will be options for AP or other exams.  Montessori is traditionally multi-aged - will they be combining with younger kids and how will this work with the brightest kids in year 9?

• Like 1

To me half the point of going to high school instead of homeschool would be for the social opportunity.  With no music and no sports, my kids wouldnt' care as they are not into either sports or music.  But are there other opportunities and are there *enough kids* that there will be a diversity for her to choose from?  Is there a yearly mini-play?  Is there choir?  Is there a Christmas pageant?  Have they figured out something to get the kids involved, having fun and getting to know each other?  Even a very small school with a low budget, once established will have these things.  But a new school, which is not established AND has a low budget, is not likely to be ready and able to offer these things.

How many 9th graders do they currently have?  If there are at least 40 there is a good liklihood she will find a few friends.  What if there are only 15?  And did those 15 go to 8th grade all together?  In that case it's likely it'll be difficult to break in.

My ds took 3 separate in person classes, and now he goes early to CC but he makes friends through work and his Robotics club at the high school.

My dd attends an all day co-op once a week and has her barn friends at the horse barn and also we still feel the need to invite someone over a few times per month.

It is a full time job just getting them out and about enough....but you wouldn't want that PLUS driving to and from school :)

To me half the point of going to high school instead of homeschool would be for the social opportunity. With no music and no sports, my kids wouldnt' care as they are not into either sports or music. But are there other opportunities and are there *enough kids* that there will be a diversity for her to choose from? Is there a yearly mini-play? Is there choir? Is there a Christmas pageant? Have they figured out something to get the kids involved, having fun and getting to know each other? Even a very small school with a low budget, once established will have these things. But a new school, which is not established AND has a low budget, is not likely to be ready and able to offer these things.

How many 9th graders do they currently have? If there are at least 40 there is a good liklihood she will find a few friends. What if there are only 15? And did those 15 go to 8th grade all together? In that case it's likely it'll be difficult to break in.

My ds took 3 separate in person classes, and now he goes early to CC but he makes friends through work and his Robotics club at the high school.

My dd attends an all day co-op once a week and has her barn friends at the horse barn and also we still feel the need to invite someone over a few times per month.

It is a full time job just getting them out and about enough....but you wouldn't want that PLUS driving to and from school :)

All great questions, but the last part is what I was having a hard time putting into words... would this long daily drive be on top of the extracurricular running I already do?! Since she is in music and sports, I think the answer might be yes.

• Like 1

My biggest concerns would be academic - if they don't yet have higher grades, what do they offer the more advanced student, especially for math.  How will they structure the courses, will there be any opportunity for APs (or DE), etc.

I pulled two of my kids out of Montessori in middle school because the academics at that moment in time were insufficient.  The general ideas work well for younger kids and I still have two in a Montessori elementary, but a lot doesn't really translate well to the high school level.  Montessori herself did not teach high school level or even middle school, IIRC.  There is a famous Montessori high school on a farm somewhere back east.  There's also one here in our metro area but it is not suitable for my kids' academic needs.

There's nothing wrong with exploring of course, but I'd be skeptical that it would be a great fit for an advanced high schooler in terms of the college prep.  One bonus might be opportunities for independent study.

• Like 2