Menu

NYC Shows for ages 12+

Shelly in VA

We are going to NYC for a few days over the holidays, and we are hoping to see a show. I'm not sure what would be appropriate/enjoyable for the range of ages we will have - 12, 16, early 20's, plus dh and me. Is School of Rock good? Is it worth the extra $$ for 6 tickets to see something like Wicked or The Lion King? Is Phantom something that a 12yo would enjoy?

Any input would be appreciated! Feeling overwhelmed by this decision, although I'm probably overthinking and we'll enjoy whatever we end up seeing. Thank you!!!

I have actually seen all of these. School of Rock is a fun show and should be enjoyable for the whole family. Lion King and Wicked are a step up but I wouldn’t pay a ton more. If Ihad to pick one, I think Lion King is a little more magical on stage. The big ensemble scenes are incredible. Wicked is a bit more mature but an interesting spin on wizard of oz and there are some amazing scenes in that one. I just took my 13 year old to see Phantom. She liked it quite a bit but maybe not as much as these other 3 shows. The sets and tech are out of this world.

ETA to be clear I do think any of these shows could potentially work for your crew!

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

We took my younger three to see School of Rock and Matilda on Broadway when they were 15, 13, and 9. School of Rock was definitely the favorite for all of us. It really is great for all ages. My kids even bought the soundtrack when we got home and learned all the songs. We all saw Lion King when it toured and they didn't like it as much as School of Rock.  

• Like 1