Menu

s/o Christmas cards

SKL

I send out "post festive holiday season" cards in early February.  These would have photos (selected from our regular photos taken during the past year - we've never had professional photos done nor do we own any coordinated clothing - so these are all about real life) and a short note about what everyone in the family is up to/the pet situation/the house situation.

I started doing this because DD's birthday is in January and I'd have her add a quick thank you note for her gift to the card.  Now I just prefer it because it's one less thing to do in Nov/Dec.

We hardly get any cards (1 so far this year) but I'm not going to hold it against people.  I have had to cut down my list from an all time high of over 150 people to probably about 50.  Postage is expensive and a lot of our cards are sent internationally so that's even more expensive!

• Like 1

I used to send out about 80 hand-made cards with photos and letter. Then about 4 years ago I just missed the boat and didn't get a photo done or anything. I haven't managed to get back in the swing since, but I have high hopes for this year. I have a letter ready to go, I just have to try and gather up the 4 kids and snap a photo. I should technically have been more busy and exhausted when the dc were little, but now that they are teens I'm more busy and more exhausted.  There are just so many Christmas concerts, parties, activities and stuff to do that something had to give. I tried to do an email Christmas letter, but I didn't have many people's email address. 

Thankfully many friends and family have continued to keep me in the loop with their Christmas cards, as I do appreciate receiving them. 

• Like 1

I have many people who are very dear to me and whom I see only once a year in the summer. I would love to see a picture of them and their families at Christmas time.

ETA: And I would gladly take an email, doesn't have to be a physical card on paper.

Different strokes for different folks

Everyone that is far away in my life is on social media.   I don't need another picture of them besides the hundreds I see of them all year long. 

We've already got several, although it is definitely less than we used to get.  I love getting Christmas cards in the mail!  I love seeing pictures of my friends' families, and I love reading what they have been up to (most of my friends send a letter too).  Although I am facebook friends with most of them, I can't keep track of what the kids do, where they are stationed currently, etc., and I love just reading it all in one place.  Maybe military people have kept up the tradition longer than most, since we know we're not just going to be randomly seeing each other around the grocery store?

I haven't sent my out yet, but I will.  I already have the (picture) cards, but I need to write the letter.  I have written a letter every year since we married, and I also keep a Christmas scrapbook.  Every year I put in the picture we sent out, plus the letter, and a few pictures from what we did that day.  I haven't kept up with my other scrapbooks, but I do keep up with the Christmas one, and I love being able to see the kids' growth (and the growth of our family!) over the years, plus it's fun to read back over what we did each year--all in one place!

I can tell Christmas cards are going the way of the dodo, but I for one will really miss them. And selfishly I am glad they won't be gone until my kids are grown.  I love that I still feel motivated to write out a year-end summary.  I'm not sure if I would do it if it weren't for Christmas cards! 

• Like 2

I love getting cards.  We've gotten 2.  But that's ok, because I haven't sent them out in years.

But it's also not ok.  

I loved it when I sent out cards and I love getting them.  But then I got very overwhelmed with parenting and homeschooling and I had to cut out a lot of things in my life (volunteering, cards, etc.)  I thought it would be ok to take a few years off in sending cards.  I figured I'd just pick it back up.  This year or next year would have been when I'd be ready to pick it back up, because I don't feel as overwhelmed as I used to.

But in the 8 years I stopped sending them, everyone stopped sending them.  I expected that people would knock me off their list after a couple of years, but this thread shows that it's more than that.  People aren't knocking me off their list because I haven't sent them a card.  People just aren't sending them at all to anyone.

I'm bummed about it.  I know I'm part of the problem, but I really believed it was ok to take a few years off and then jump back in.  Apparently, everyone has just decided to stop entirely and there's nothing to jump back in to.  I'm not sure it's worth it to start sending them for myself now.  Or maybe there are a lot of people who feel like me, and we'll all start sending them again now that we realize we like getting cards.  Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone and all that.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

And this is why I don't like Christmas cards. Strings attached.

Well it is one of those social niceties that only works if it’s reciprocated. I mean, if nobody *cares* about receiving them, there is no point in my sending them. I’m not willing to be the last person among 85 individuals who goes to the effort if nobody or very few people are willing to send out cards as well. It’s like sending out cards into an echo chamber.

I love getting cards. We've gotten 2. But that's ok, because I haven't sent them out in years.

But it's also not ok.

I loved it when I sent out cards and I love getting them. But then I got very overwhelmed with parenting and homeschooling and I had to cut out a lot of things in my life (volunteering, cards, etc.) I thought it would be ok to take a few years off in sending cards. I figured I'd just pick it back up. This year or next year would have been when I'd be ready to pick it back up, because I don't feel as overwhelmed as I used to.

But in the 8 years I stopped sending them, everyone stopped sending them. I expected that people would knock me off their list after a couple of years, but this thread shows that it's more than that. People aren't knocking me off their list because I haven't sent them a card. People just aren't sending them at all to anyone.

I'm bummed about it. I know I'm part of the problem, but I really believed it was ok to take a few years off and then jump back in. Apparently, everyone has just decided to stop entirely and there's nothing to jump back in to. I'm not sure it's worth it to start sending them for myself now. Or maybe there are a lot of people who feel like me, and we'll all start sending them again now that we realize we like getting cards. Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone and all that.

Interesting. I almost asked you privately for your address so I could send you one. (i still could, BTW; I foolishly ordered a second set of cards in my zeal to try and single-handedly keep it going, lol. I was thinking of asking Creekland, too. You were both on my original list.

I do think there is nothing to “jump back into.†I think I am going to mostly quit after this year. Old ladies, some family members and those who have continued to send cards only.

I sent mine out today.   :hurray:

I had to take the day off from school to do it, but hey, I'm not full time and I'm kind of enjoying the three day weekend TBH, so no regrets.

There's still a little bit of time, so if anyone here wants a Creekland Christmas card (warning - comes with a family update letter) just send me your address.  ;)

I won't be making lists of who does and who doesn't.  I'm ok with different views on cards.  :coolgleamA:

Oh... most of ours are Christian Christmas, so if you want a card and just prefer secular, let me know.  We keep some around for similar friends too.  The stamp is likely to be Christian since that's what I bought - just warning in advance.

• Like 1

Me too.  I meant to do them and then I never got into it.  Seemed like more $ that I would rather not spend.  And extra work for me.  Why? 

The people that I care about I am in touch with.  

I don't really enjoy getting the cards from others.  Cute I suppose, but if I am close to you I see your pics or you.   I don't want the extra clutter.  So now I have to figure out do I get rid of the card and picture with you on it (which I feel bad about) or do I keep clutter. 

There just seems no need for them now.

The postage definitely costs money, but cards aren't too expensive. You can get non photo ones for $4 for a box of 20, or I got photo ones printed at Walmart for $7 for 20.  I send them because I love getting them, and I like to think of someone opening mine and smiling for a moment at it. Maybe that makes me self important, lol. 

As for what to do with them, we tape them up to the inside of the front door, to display them. Kids fight over who gets to tape them up. Then everytime I look at my door I smile to see all the love sent by friends and family :)

• Like 2

I'm loving the Costco cards. We can find templates we like that hold the number of pictures we want in the orientation we want. Many of them let you write a fairly significant amount on the back. I think when the kids are in college we may shorten the letter to whatever fits on the back of the card. And they print your return address on all of the envelopes. 50 cards for about $35.

I need to remember this for next year! I always run out of time to have the envelopes printed. Such a time saver. Walmart was 40 for $14, but with no return address....not sure how much more that would have been, or if they even do it. I had to go with the one hour service, which limited my options. 

• Like 2

I love getting Christmas cards. I actually love sending them. I really don’t care if we get none in return; I’ll still send mine. I mean, of course I would prefer to have some reciprocated, but that’s not really how I view it. I’m perfectly happy thinking that a card might brighten someone’s mail opening without expecting them to send one in return.

I sent out 120 this year; we’ve probably received a dozen. We’ll get some more in the next week.

I put them all on a big binder ring at the end of the season, and then we hang previous years’ cards on stocking hooks from the shelf I display the current year’s cards. It’s fun to look back at past cards and see how kids have grown, etc.

ETA: We just got six in the mail today!

Edited by medawyn
  • Like 2

Well it is one of those social niceties that only works if it’s reciprocated. I mean, if nobody *cares* about receiving them, there is no point in my sending them. I’m not willing to be the last person among 85 individuals who goes to the effort if nobody or very few people are willing to send out cards as well. It’s like sending out cards into an echo chamber.

But it isn't that no one cares about receiving them. I don't care but that is me. I know my mother loves receiving them however she does not like sending them. They cause too much stress for her to send and she tends to keep christmas stress free. Some people love sending them and don't find it stressful or pointless. Those people should continue to do it if that is a part of christmas they love, not because they feel pressured to from others.

I love getting cards. We've gotten 2. But that's ok, because I haven't sent them out in years.

But it's also not ok.

I loved it when I sent out cards and I love getting them. But then I got very overwhelmed with parenting and homeschooling and I had to cut out a lot of things in my life (volunteering, cards, etc.) I thought it would be ok to take a few years off in sending cards. I figured I'd just pick it back up. This year or next year would have been when I'd be ready to pick it back up, because I don't feel as overwhelmed as I used to.

But in the 8 years I stopped sending them, everyone stopped sending them. I expected that people would knock me off their list after a couple of years, but this thread shows that it's more than that. People aren't knocking me off their list because I haven't sent them a card. People just aren't sending them at all to anyone.

I'm bummed about it. I know I'm part of the problem, but I really believed it was ok to take a few years off and then jump back in. Apparently, everyone has just decided to stop entirely and there's nothing to jump back in to. I'm not sure it's worth it to start sending them for myself now. Or maybe there are a lot of people who feel like me, and we'll all start sending them again now that we realize we like getting cards. Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone and all that.

Well maybe some of the people who used to send to you had the same situation you did, they got busy with life and needed a break but intended to start back up. I know people who have done that. If you are ready to start back up again go for it and see what happens. Maybe you will inspire people who wanted to start up again but didn't to start up. It never hurts to try.

Card giving may not be my thing but I'm sorry that those who do enjoy it feel like they shouldn't bother with it.

But it isn't that no one cares about receiving them. I don't care but that is me. I know my mother loves receiving them however she does not like sending them. They cause too much stress for her to send and she tends to keep christmas stress free. Some people love sending them and don't find it stressful or pointless. Those people should continue to do it if that is a part of christmas they love, not because they feel pressured to from others.

But see, I wouldn’t want to be sending them to someone who does not care about receiving them. I doubt you would tell a friend who sends them, “Oh, don’t bother to send me one. I don’t care about them anyway.†So if someone doesn’t send them to me, despite my years and years of sending mine to them, I’m going to assume they don’t care, unless they have told me they like it or I have noticed they care. One of my SILs never sends any, but I have seen an album she has with years and years and years of my Christmas cards/photos (and all the other nieces and nephews.). So clearly, it must be meaningful to her, so I will continue to send them to her. A few people have told me they look forward to it every year; these are generally older people who are not on social media. So I will still send those little old ladies my card and photo while they still have breath.

I agree that people should not send them because they feel it is some traditional must-do that they don’t enjoy, but I feel that way about all holiday traditions. I love to bake Christmas cookies, so I do. I hate to stay up until midnight on New Year’s Eve, just to watch the darn ball drop and say, “Happy New Year!â€at midnight. So I no longer do that. But, clearly, especially with the way people are quitting Christmas cards, if one wants to recieve them, they have to send them. At minimum, one must tell the friends who send them that they still want to receive. If someone skips several years, people will assume they don’t want them.

I enjoy sending cards, and so I always do, but it is less enjoyable when I receive few cards. Otherwise, it’s like having a one-sided monologue. To me, there is no point sending them if few people want to “talk back.â€

• Like 3

But see, I wouldn’t want to be sending them to someone who does not care about receiving them. I doubt you would tell a friend who sends them, “Oh, don’t bother to send me one. I don’t care about them anyway.†So if someone doesn’t send them to me, despite my years and years of sending mine to them, I’m going to assume they don’t care, unless they have told me they like it or I have noticed they care. One of my SILs never sends any, but I have seen an album she has with years and years and years of my Christmas cards/photos (and all the other nieces and nephews.). So clearly, it must be meaningful to her, so I will continue to send them to her. A few people have told me they look forward to it every year; these are generally older people who are not on social media. So I will still send those little old ladies my card and photo while they still have breath.

I agree that people should not send them because they feel it is some traditional must-do that they don’t enjoy, but I feel that way about all holiday traditions. I love to bake Christmas cookies, so I do. I hate to stay up until midnight on New Year’s Eve, just to watch the darn ball drop and say, “Happy New Year!â€at midnight. So I no longer do that. But, clearly, especially with the way people are quitting Christmas cards, if one wants to recieve them, they have to send them. At minimum, one must tell the friends who send them that they still want to receive. If someone skips several years, people will assume they don’t want them.

I enjoy sending cards, and so I always do, but it is less enjoyable when I receive few cards. Otherwise, it’s like having a one-sided monologue. To me, there is no point sending them if few people want to “talk back.â€

I doubt I'd ever tell someone I didn't care for the cards, unless they asked. I'm terribly honest when prodded.

I can understand how it is less enjoyable if you don't receive them back.