Menu

Writeshop love and hate, other suggestions?

So I posted before about how we are really loving Writeshop but it drives me crazy because it is so disorganized and we have to flip around to different pages to figure out what to do each day. We still love it and the lessons seem helpful for my child, but I find I'm less motivated to even do writing each day because it's a pain flipping all over figuring out what to do and we often have little time to spare.

So, any suggestions for something else? We like the lessons in Writeshop but I just want something more open and go and organized. The child it's for is a teen who has autism, tourettes, anxiety disorder and adhd. It seems he does best with writing curriculum at an upper elementary level...the Writeshop 1 level of difficulty seems fine. Writing is one of the subjects he's most behind in if going by his chrono age, and he seems to do best with short incremental lessons. We like that with Writeshop we can do just a bit at a time and can repeat lessons like after a "describe a pet" assignment we can just repeat it with a different pet so we can move slowly and practice more.

We like paper and book based type curriculum and nothing online or using screens. We travel and he needs to be able to do it without a DVD player or computer. I'm wondering if the CAP W&R series could be good for us or the WWE but I'm not familiar with either. Or maybe I just need to suck it up and keep going with Writeshop.

I don't have any ideas for you, but I wanted to let you know that I feel the same way about Writeshop. We are sticking with it because it has been so helpful, but it is a pain flipping around and figuring out what to do next.

Yeah I'm torn because really we love a lot about it...I just wish it was more open and go.

Writing Strands. :-)

You know, several years ago I tried a Writing Strands booklet and I don't remember why we didn't like it but I would think that things are so different now with my child's skills and abililty that I should look into it again.  Thanks!

Edited by OrganicJen

My feelings about WriteShop are the same.  I've been trying to use it with my two youngest and I just. don't. think. I can do it.    :huh:

Meaningful Composition is workbook style layout, very straightforward, and good instruction.  It's written by a homeschool mom in our local area; we've used several of the books and taken classes through her.  Their website is characterinkblog.com.  They have pretty generous samples available.  You can also get the books from Rainbow Resource.

• Like 1