Menu

Please don't reply unless you have at least one good thing to say about a colonoscopy. UPDATE: post 97 :)

J-rap

Yes, I'm of that age when I'm supposed to have one, and I've scheduled one for soon after Christmas.

I've travelled to dangerous parts of the world and done a lot of things that require some courage.  But, I'm so nervous about this whole colonoscopy scenario, that I'm thinking about canceling! 

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

It saves lives. 

My dh was so stoned and happy during his that he was laughing and joking. When compos mentis he is pretty squeamish, but when the proctologist offered him the chance to watch along on the tv, he happily agreed that sounded like great fun. It's the only thing he remembers about his. 

• Like 9

It saves lives. 

My dh was so stoned and happy during his that he was laughing and joking. When compos mentis he is pretty squeamish, but when the proctologist offered him the chance to watch along on the tv, he happily agreed that sounded like great fun. It's the only thing he remembers about his. 

Well, that does make it sound kind of fun!  Part of what I'm so nervous about though is the prep.  The long list of instructions make it sound like a self-imposed food poisoning.

• Like 3

It's really not that bad.  And yes, it saves lives.  If they see polyps, they can take care of them right then and there.  And let me say again, it really isn't that bad. 

That's interesting about the removal of polyps right then.  I didn't know that!

• Like 2

I had one done this fall for the first time. The prep was ... not awful. I had worse when I needed a rectocele repaired after four kids.

The good news - I mentioned to the doctor that I was pretty nervous and he adjusted the anesthesia drugs a bit to make me more relaxed. I felt great!

Other good news - I went home afterwards, took a nice nap and woke up feeling pretty chipper. No after effects at all.

And it absolutely saves lives. I worked with a lady who went in for her age 50 colonoscopy. No symptoms. They found polyps and some other stuff and removed it right then. She was able to do a round of not-chemo afterwards and is happily retired and riding motorcycles. She has a good outcome mostly because they found it early.

• Like 6

Do not cancel!    They will probably put you to sleep with a Sedative. The last one I had, I was asleep, before they could get me to move  into the proper position. My wife told me she helped them move me.

I did not remember anything...

One good thing:  The majority of Cancers and Pre Cancers are removed during the first Colonoscopy.

Bad thing about not having that first Colonoscopy.  The late wife of one of my childhood friends refused to have a Colonoscopy. By the time her doctor(s) more or less forced her to have a Colonoscopy, she was near death.  

The preparation starts off OK. You drink about one gallon (?) of a flavored liquid. At first, it's OK, but by the time you finish, it doesn't taste  very good.   And, then, as I recall, it takes my system a week or so to get back to normal.

DO NOT CANCEL YOUR APPOINTMENT!   Colonoscopies save many lives.   

• Like 5

YES!  My DH had a polyp removed a few years ago.  His mother is a long term colon cancer survivor.  Cut it out, had a follow up one a year later and has been on a regular schedule since.  No problem! 

• Like 2

My hubby's dr said it's the only test for cancer that actually prevents cancer. Now that's a good reason to get it done!

The prep isn't so bad. Plan fun things to do that day, like watch movies and do puzzles. It's just one day and then a lovely, lovely nap, and you'll feel so good that you did the test. 

• Like 7

Well, that does make it sound kind of fun!  Part of what I'm so nervous about though is the prep.  The long list of instructions make it sound like a self-imposed food poisoning.

It is really, really not that bad.  I have had a half-dozen colonoscopies, and the prep is always annoying, inconvenient and slightly unpleasant, but overall it is very tolerable.  Most of the prep time is the restricted diet portion; the "business" portion will only last a few hours.

One good thing is that technology allows you to distract yourself much more easily now.  When I had my first colonoscopy 15 years ago, I remember trying to watch a movie to help pass the time, but I was having to pause it every 15 minutes to drink more prep goo and visit the bathroom.  When I had my most recent one a few months ago, I just camped out in the bathroom watching a movie on my laptop and it was almost like a mini-vacation away from my responsibilities.

Wendy

• Like 5

The prep is not fun, but it's not as bad as you're probably anticipating. Buy a box of gentle baby wipes and a tube of Desitin or another heavy zinc-based diaper rash cream, and slather that on as soon as you start, to prevent stomach acid from burning your bottom.

The procedure itself is truly NBD — you won't feel a thing. I'm not sure if I was totally out or just drugged enough to not feel or remember anything, but I do remember lying in the recovery room thinking "oh, wow, that was it? it's over?" The peace of mind after getting the all-clear was well worth the hassle of the prep.

A colonoscopy absolutely saved my youngest brother's life. He had no symptoms, but they found stage 2 cancer. That was about 10 years ago, and he is cancer-free today. My older brother did not get a colonoscopy until he had pretty serious symptoms, and he died less than a year after he was diagnosed.  :crying:  

• Like 6

I just had one about 3 weeks ago.  It really was no big deal.

The prep wasn't bad - I mixed the Miralax with 1/2 unsweetened ice tea and 1/2 lemonade and it was easy to drink.

The bathroom visits weren't awful, but I did use a dab of Desitin diaper cream to prevent irritation.

I remember laying down and them asking me to scoot back and then I woke up - waking up was tough (it felt a bit like a hangover), but everyone has a different experience with that.  My daughter woke up happy and told me it was the best sleep she had ever had :)  Dh had no problem waking up.

I went home, ate lunch, went to bed for the afternoon, and napped off and on.  I felt fine the next day.

• Like 3

I go every five years because my dad had colon cancer so I'm considered to be at higher risk.

It's honestly no big deal at all. I was so nervous the first time, but once it was over, I felt so silly about it because everyone was so professional and kind, and it wasn't awkward at all.

• Like 4

I don't have anything bad to say about having a colonoscopy.  I sure liked knowing everything was OK.   I was even happier to hear that my husband's showed everything was OK - his dad had had colon cancer.  Which was found early, thanks to... a colonoscopy.

It's not a big deal really.  The main thing I didn't like was that my husband had to take time off work to take me and bring me home.  I wish I could have just driven myself. 

Don't cancel.  Just do it.  

• Like 1

Have you asked your doctor about Cologuard instead?  My mom was dreading another colonoscopy, but was able to do the "poop in a box" method instead.

But FWIW, the prep for a colonoscopy is a lot easier than it used to be. And you get good drugs.  :tongue_smilie:

Really nteresting.  It sounds like this at least might be a good follow-up (as far a preventative test) to a colonoscopy, if mine is all clear.  Thanks!

honestly - it wasn't that bad.  it's like all the hype about how horrible the dentist/root-canals/etc. are.  the hype is worse than the reality.  

and fil died from colon cancer - so I'm glad dh goes in regularly.  he has at times had to go in every five years - and they've had to remove polyps on multiple occasions.  but  he's healthy becasue he goes in.

• Like 2

It was the BEST nap I think I've ever had.   I slept through the entire thing, then came home and slept the rest of the day.   Woke up, ate some supper, then slept all night long.  

When my DH had his done, his procedure was scheduled for the afternoon, so he didn't have the worst part of the prep until the morning of the procedure.   Mine was scheduled first thing in the morning, so I spent a good deal of time in the bathroom overnight before the procedure.   I will definitely be asking for an afternoon appointment the next time I have one done.   

ETA - Three of my grandparents had colon cancer, so colonoscopies are definitely part of my future.  

Edited by SebastianCat
  • Like 3

Two words:  Warm.  Blankets.

I have IBS and the prep is honestly much, much better than a flare up.  Other than needing to be in the bathroom, I've actually felt really good after both preps.

oh my goodness yes!   one facility I was at brought them out as they were prepping me for surgery while I was still conscious - it was wonderful!

• Like 3

The prep is no fun, but the procedure is no big deal at all.

Colon cancer is one of the easiest cancers to treat IF it is caught early enough.

I’m iffy on a lot of treatments and tests - but colonoscopies make a lot of sense to me!

Schedule something fun for the day AFTER your procedure!

Anne

• Like 4

I remember absolutely nothing from the time they gave me the meds until about an hour or so after the procedure was done. NOTHING. The pre med enema sucked but was over quick.  It helped to determine that my internal bleeding was coming from farther up my GI and I was able to skip the camera down the throat (which IMO is 100X more terrifying).

• Like 1

I've had a few. I like looking forward to a tasty meal when it's over. Unlike when you have a stomach bug, this time you can eat whatever you want.

The prep is not that bad!! I do like Wendy and camp out in the bathroom. I bring in an office chair, drape a fuzzy blanket on my lap, and watch movies or read books. I have never had any cramping or discomfort. It's just a trip to the potty every 15 minutes. The lighter you eat ahead of time, the easier it is done. And for that day, I am OFF DUTY.

The peace of mind after it is done is well worth the inconvenience.

• Like 4

I had one a few years ago and it wasn't bad at all. 

First, ask for the Miralax prep if possible. It involved mixing Miralax into Gatorade and none of the nasty stuff that I've seen others have to take. 

As for the actual colonoscopy it was a breeze. Didn't feel a thing, didn't feel the least bit, um how to put this, sore or violated afterwards, LOL. Went home, took a nap, and went right back to the normal routine. 

My dh has had two  more recently and his experience was pretty much the same except he did have some pretty foul tasting drink with one and the Miralax prep with the other. He agrees with me to request the Miralax if at all possible! FWIW, the other prep didn't cause cramps or discomfort, it just didn't have the most pleasant taste. Gatorade goes down much more easily in our opinions. 

• Like 3

Here they offer you two different options for the anesthesia - either wake up and have a normal level of consciousness or sleep the rest of the day! You are awake enough to get dressed and have someone drive you home with the 'sleep-all-day option', but you won't remember coming home. 

It isn't as scary as it sounds. Prep is bad but doable. And then you feel good about your bravery and how good you are for taking care of your health. And you get to encourage others to do the responsible thing and get their colonoscopies! 

• Like 2

I just had a colonoscopy last week. It was a breeze. Not scary, not painful, not worth worrying about.  Truly. And you get to let someone else drive the dc around for 24 hours afterwards while you have a rest (this was only because the feel-fuzzy drugs make you legally impaired to drive for 24 hours, not because you feel bad afterwards). 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Best part:  my daughter laughed all afternoon at something I said when she picked me up from the outpatient surgery center where I had mine, and she still won't tell me what it was.  I have a couple of oral surgery stories to hang over her and her brother's heads, so she won't spill the beans.  :laugh:

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 2

I haven't read any of the replies but it's really not a big deal at all. It's probably one of the easiest medical procedures there is. Prep is certainly no fun, but for me it was more of an inconvenience than anywhere near a real problem (not being able to eat solid food for a bit, being stuck at home a few hours). 

You get a good "nap" before/during the procedure, can treat yourself to a nice meal afterwards and have a legitimate excuse for taking it easy the rest of the day.

Really--it's no big deal. 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

Deleted.  Sorry.  You only wanted positive message.  I was echoing your fear.

Ellen, can you ask around & find the most capable surgeon? That might put your mind at rest about perforations. S/he might also take your concerns more seriously about the fasting aspect. 

J-rap, I agree with everyone else! It was actually a nice break from normal responsibilities, and you get to exhort/encourage your friends who have been putting it off. The prep wasn't nearly as bad as I'd thought it would be (in fact, I was worried it hadn't "worked" completely lol), and the procedure itself was a breeze. Waking up from the anesthesia was hard the first time, but my husband swears by Propofol and I had that the second time and had no problem. And as PPs have said, the peace of mind afterwards is priceless.

I've actually thanked my parents for setting a good example in this area. My aunt never had a colonoscopy and died from colon cancer. 

• Like 1

They’re not nearly as painful as some people make them out to be, according to my mom?

I think the pain varies from person to person. I had mine without anesthesia and, while there was some discomfort (felt like cramping) during part of the procedure, I was able to handle it fairly easily. I enjoyed watching and asking questions. My doctor told me there are no pain cells in the colon, which is why I didn't feel anything when they cut out the polyps. Other than lots of gas, I had no after effects.

• Like 1

For anyone doing the Miralax prep, they often say to mix it with Gatorade.  For my second scope, I mixed mine with water (first time I was in the hospital with Oregon Trail levels of dysentery - no choices there).  DH used a sweet drink for his and greatly regretted it.  It doesn't taste GREAT with water, but 64 ounces of a sweet beverage in a short time might upset your stomach.  If you're worried about dehydration, maybe do 1/4 or 1/2 Gatorade.  I didn't have any problems with it.

I did the late afternoon prep and a morning procedure, and only got up once at night to use the bathroom.  I was up shutting the kids' reading lights off anyway.

• Like 2