Menu

Cat pee, how to clean it and how to stop it?

mama25angels

Our tom cat is about 6yrs old and he's been fixed so, why does he still pee on stuff? He's peed on the arm of the couch but mostly he just pees on one of my ds' stuff. He doesn't get to do it much because he's barred from the bedroom now, but he has gone in and peed when someone forgot to close the door. This cat actually had to be litterbox trained because he wouldn't use the box at first, if that matters. But, once he was trained he was fine, until we brought the female cat in about 2yrs ago, she's fixed also. He had a check up in August and was fine.

It can be a host of reasons but maybe he is peeing to make certain his scent is the dominant scent.  It is irrelevant that he was fixed.  It can HELP to get a cat fixed but that doesn't mean they stop peeing and spraying in places you would rather they didn't.  And females are just as likely as males to do so.  I know the general consensus is that it is only male toms.  Nope.  I've had a LOT of cats over the years.  I have had just as many females as males pee on things or spray on things they shouldn't.

As for how to stop it, that's trickier.  Are they both strictly indoor cats?  How do they get along?

It can be a host of reasons but maybe he is peeing to make certain his scent is the dominant scent. It is irrelevant that he was fixed. It can HELP to get a cat fixed but that doesn't mean they stop peeing and spraying in places you would rather they didn't. And females are just as likely as males to do so. I know the general consensus is that it is only male toms. Nope. I've had a LOT of cats over the years. I have had just as many females as males pee on things or spray on things they shouldn't.

As for how to stop it, that's trickier. Are they both strictly indoor cats? How do they get along?

Yes both strictly indoor and they get along fine now.

Our tom cat is about 6yrs old and he's been fixed so, why does he still pee on stuff? He's peed on the arm of the couch but mostly he just pees on one of my ds' stuff. He doesn't get to do it much because he's barred from the bedroom now, but he has gone in and peed when someone forgot to close the door. This cat actually had to be litterbox trained because he wouldn't use the box at first, if that matters. But, once he was trained he was fine, until we brought the female cat in about 2yrs ago, she's fixed also. He had a check up in August and was fine.

Spay/neuter doesn't affect cats' spraying/peeing on stuff. :-(

How long has he been doing this? Has he been to the vet? Sometimes cats pee outside their litter boxes because they have UTIs.

Define "check up." Was it a routine yearly, or did you take him in for this specific problem? Was a urinalysis done? Regardless, I'd want another one right now.

Clean with Nature's Miracle or similar enzymatic cleaner. Soak the area and allow it to dry as slowly as possible. Sometimes that means soaking the area and then placing a damp towel on top to slow the drying process. All the lovely enzymes need time to do their work.

How many litter boxes do you have? With two cats, one of whom is having issues, you ideally need at least three boxes. And they should be in various convenient places around the house, not down in the basement or all in a laundry room, etc. Are they maintained meticulously (as in scooped at least twice a day, every day)?

My plan for this situation would be:

Get kitty to the vet for a urinalysis.

Add another box or two if needed (and I think it is, regardless of how many you currently have). Keep them super clean.

Put Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter in at least some of the boxes (preferably all of them, if you don't think the change will bother your other cat).

Clean every spot with Nature's Miracle, letting it dry as slowly as possible. Repeat if necessary (and it may be necessary).

Consider retraining kitty by setting him up in a small room of his own for a week or (preferably) two.

Consider medication. There are various ant-anxiety type medications that have very good success rates in helping soiling issues.

Mostly I avoid situations by not owning things that need to be cleaned, or no access to places the cat will pee. Our cat usually does this if we go away on vacation, or the litter box is not cleaned daily. I agree more litter boxes is usually better.

Every cat is different and yours might have a reason it’s doing this.

Bringing in a second cat is what caused that to start happening in our home as well.

What helped...  Cleaning the litter box daily.

Covering all the spots that were peed on.  This meant putting a piece of furniture over it (if on a rug), putting a large object on top of it (if on furniture), closing the door to a particular room, etc.  This slowly got them out of the habit of it of using those areas, usually.

Oh, and get a check up, because they could have some kind of a urinary infection.  

We have two litter boxes, the boxes are cleaned upwards of 4 times a day, most of the time 2. He only does it when he can get into their bedroom and on this one particular kids stuff. He did do it to the other sons stuff but it was because it was with the other ds' stuff.

Forgot to add that they get one tub of soft cat food a day.

Edited by mama25angels

Nature's Miracle is awesome.

Our male cat went in our bedroom once and was a little panicked. I have a good sense of smell and thought I wouldn't be able to get the "scent" out.

Nature's Miracle works.

Our male kitty had a problem. I wouldn't assume it's behavioral. Do you ever seen him dragging his bottom on the carpet?

They're starting to think that spaying and neutering animals super young is causing adult problems. It sure did in our poor baby. We haven't turned him from a "him" into a "her" but the thought has been on the table. A friend's vet did that w/ her kitty.

Our cat was anesthetized and the vet pulled his penis -- lengthen, stretched it. It seems to have really helped.

Alley

• Like 1