Menu

Anybody doing college in Germany?

A young lady in my circle has requested my help to figure out how to do college in Germany. I already know about the database that determines eligibility. I am interested in hearing from any homeschoolers who managed to get their kids into a German university. I am especially interested to hear how you resolved the transcript issue. Thanks!

When #2 son talked to the university he considered, they had no problem with his transcript.   He specifically asked about homeschooling and they did not care as long as it was legal in his country of residence and said transcript would enable him to attend a university in his country of residence.  What they were interested in were his test scores and being fluent in German.  Those two were not negotiable (he met both of those requirements).  His goal is to major in Computer Science, I do not know what the requirements for humanities or other fields are.

It may be different for universities other than the one he talked to.  In the end, he decided to attend college in the US as financially it is a wash for us and we were more comfortable to keep him closer at this point for a number of reasons.

Our oldest attended school in Germany so none of this was an issue for him.

I know somebody who is researching and German language at a C1 level seems to be the requirement. Some schools don’t care for any SAT testing, but are asking for a local German exam to be taken. However there seems to be the differences between universities on this point and it appears some accept SAT tests. The easiest route seems to be to take a preparatory year before entering as a freshman.