Menu

Contaminated Christmas cookies?

LarlaB

Yesterday I spent 8 hours making 10 kinds of cookies - all GF some dairy free as well.

Last night at 3am I woke up with stomach issues, and had a vomiting episode at 9am this morning and now have chills and aches but no temp.

I am a home cook and not perfect with my sanitation when baking. I’m not sneezing on or picking my nose, but have been known to not wash my hands as much as I should.

I’m concerned about the fussy cookies that had icing or toppings put on after they baked that they might be contaminated. ALL cookies are in the freezer now too....

ETA: my concern is that I contaminated the cookies. Not that cookies made me sick.

Should I toss the GF cookies now that I’ve been tossing my own? Weak Lol

Edited by LarlaB

Are you worried that the cookie ingredients made you sick? Or that you contaminated the cookies with your germs? 

If it's the former, I personally wouldn't worry about that. Stomach stuff can come from a million places. 

If it's the latter, it's my understanding that with stomach bugs, you're not contagious until you've started barfing (or the other stuff), so I still don't think I'd worry too much about it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I’m worried that I contaminated the cookies. It kind of grossed me out. Family had many cookies yesterday so we will see I guess.

No one else is ill... in our home, but I know the stomach bug is in our area. I’ve had one vomiting episode and lots of diarrhea, and now have a temp of 101 with aches and chills. So i don’t know what this is.

Since sleeping more, my stomach is calmer but I’m stil EWWW with eating and even drinking.

I can't imagine what in them could have been contaminated.  I think it'll be ok.

I do get how having the two happen close in time could make it seem related, but it likely is not.  Once one of my kids got sick shortly after eating Oreos.  He was 4 and to this day he won't eat Oreos.  I doubt Oreos actually made him sick though.

Are you worried that the cookie ingredients made you sick? Or that you contaminated the cookies with your germs? 

Here is the deal from the CDC on norovirus the most common source of GI issues: https://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus/index.html   It can be fairly mild or really nasty. I had one child in the ER twice with it when he was about 5. The other brother just had a "tummy bug." 

They say you are contagious from the moment you begin "feeling ill" and for a number of days after you feel better. Contaminated food is a vector. 

You might call your local health department to find out guidelines. They will know from dealing with restaurant standards, staff illnesses, etc. 

I would definitely not give them to anyone who has someone in their household who is elderly, an infant, or immune compromised, just in case. 

• Like 1

I can't imagine what in them could have been contaminated. I think it'll be ok.

I do get how having the two happen close in time could make it seem related, but it likely is not. Once one of my kids got sick shortly after eating Oreos. He was 4 and to this day he won't eat Oreos. I doubt Oreos actually made him sick though.

Sorry I wasn’t clear- am a little blurred.

I don’t think he cookies made me sick- I’m concerned My crud could be passed on in these things I intend to gift to many people LOL

Well, hmm. I have to revise my initial opinion. With rotavirus, at least, you are contagious before symptoms appear. So I would feed the cookies to people in my household (since I kind of feel like it's a lost cause if they live with you anyway), but not anyone outside the house. Sorry about that! I'm glad you're feeling better already though.

Well, hmm. I have to revise my initial opinion. With rotavirus, at least, you are contagious before symptoms appear. So I would feed the cookies to people in my household (since I kind of feel like it's a lost cause if they live with you anyway), but not anyone outside the house. Sorry about that! I'm glad you're feeling better already though.

That’s what I wondered. Sigh. I will google freezing viruses as a back up plan LOL

And no I’m not actually feeling good but my stomach is empty and not making me Sprint to the bathroom every 15 minutes. I could sleep so that’s a huge improvement!!! The 101 fever headache and gnawing feeling persists.

Oh yeah. Actually now that you mention it, Rotovirus was what had ds in the ER twice, not norovirus. I got the two mixed up. 

OP, one way to look at it is this: If you were the recipient of the cookies and the person giving them described throwing up the night she made them, would you eat them? Personally,  I would toss them in a "better safe than sorry"  decision. 

It's hard because of all those hours.  I don't think freezing generally kills viruses, just keeps them from reproducing while they are frozen. But look it up just in case it does. 

• Like 3

They are ‘probably’ ok. But, to be safe, I wouldn’t give them to anyone outside your immediate family, who have already been exposed because they live with you.

Stomach bugs are horrible. I hope you’re feeling better soon and everyone else in your family stays well.

• Like 1

Since you didn't feel sick until you woke at 3 AM, I wouldn't think twice about serving the cookies to guests. You probably finished making those cookie hours before you felt ill.    If your family does get sick, you really don't know that it's from eating the cookies. It might be from just being around you after you got sick. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

Oh yeah. Actually now that you mention it, Rotovirus was what had ds in the ER twice, not norovirus. I got the two mixed up.

OP, one way to look at it is this: If you were the recipient of the cookies and the person giving them described throwing up the night she made them, would you eat them? Personally, I would toss them in a "better safe than sorry" decision.

It's hard because of all those hours. I don't think freezing generally kills viruses, just keeps them from reproducing while they are frozen. But look it up just in case it does.

Exactly! That’s why I asked as I’m kind of grossed out by the cookies and would not want someone to give them to me...but Im a total wimp when it comes to stomach crud. But I didn’t want to over react.

DH wants me to consider and research before throwing them out.

Edited by LarlaB

OP, one way to look at it is this: If you were the recipient of the cookies and the person giving them described throwing up the night she made them, would you eat them? Personally,  I would toss them in a "better safe than sorry"  decision. 

It's hard because of all those hours. 

I was thinking the same thing.  It's a shame because they might be fine, but not worth the risk.  I would not want to eat them.

• Like 2

Exactly! That’s why I asked as I’m kind of grossed out by the cookies and would not want someone to give them to me...but Im a total wimp when it comes to stomach crud. But I didn’t want to over react.

Do you know anyone who is not?  :lol:  I work with young children and ALL the teachers are used to getting droplets from coughs and sneezes etc. directly in the face with a fair frequency (we teach proper coughing/sneezing technique for our own good) but we are all crazy careful if a tummy bug is going around! Some might call us paranoid. I call it sensible! 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...