Menu

How far in advance would you recommend baking cookies?

Ginevra

I generally don't make cookies more than 2 days in advance of an event. Cookies still sometimes taste good 3 or more days later, but if I'm serving them to guests I like them fresher. 

Would it be helpful to you to mix and freeze the dough ahead?    For cutout cookies, you could roll them out, put the dough on the pan (on parchment) in the freezer, then when the dough's frozen take it off the pan and wrap it. You could freeze multiple sheets that way, one after the other (or all at once, depending on space, etc).  That uses up a pretty good bit of plastic wrap and/or foil, but it might be worth it for the purpose?  

ETA: I do freeze some cookies, with good results, but I understand not wanting to.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

I generally don't make cookies more than 2 days in advance of an event. Cookies still sometimes taste good 3 or more days later, but if I'm serving them to guests I like them fresher.

Would it be helpful to you to mix and freeze the dough ahead? For cutout cookies, you could roll them out, put the dough on the pan (on parchment) in the freezer, then when the dough's frozen take it off the pan and wrap it. You could freeze multiple sheets that way, one after the other (or all at once, depending on space, etc). That uses up a pretty good bit of plastic wrap and/or foil, but it might be worth it for the purpose?

ETA: I do freeze some cookies, with good results, but I understand not wanting to.

I don’t think this would work.

What kind of cookies do you freeze? And how do you thaw them without developing soggy spots or risking something is still cold?

Here is a thread with a similar question and a couple of my replies from it.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/663080-cookiesbarstreats-i-can-mail-will-last-a-while/

Really quick...

Any cookie with a glaze will last longer than the same cookie without a glaze.

So if you make the snowballs (Mexican wedding cakes) make a glaze with milk or water and 10X sugar instead of rolling them in 10X.

Cuccidati last forever.

I have a chocolate spice cookie that lasts a few weeks, too. I'll try to get it out if you want it.

I have a Christmas cookie book from library called a baker's field guide to Christmas cookies.

Here are some of her longer "lifespans:"

chocolate bourbon balls: 1.5 months

Gingerbread people: 3 weeks

Chocolate krinkles: 2 weeks

Meringues: 2 weeks

Night before Christmas mice :2 weeks (I've made these are they are super cute...basically a mouse shaped sugar cookie)

Peanut butter kisses: 2 weeks

Pfeffenusse: 1 month

Ribbon cookies: 1 month

Kanelkakor:2 weeks

Shortbread 2 weeks

Snickerdoodles : 2 weeks

Sugar cookie: 1 month

Thumbprint cookies 2 weeks

She also has a cuccidati recipe in her book that yields 72 cookies that she says lasts 2 weeks but she tops hers with an egg wash before baking, which I wouldn't recommend. Icing and nonpareils are the way to go!

• Like 3

During the month of December, I like to make cookies, eat some, and stash about a dozen in the freezer. This way, by Christmas, I have a platter with all the varieties. They’re cookies. They’re good. It’s easy. It’s basically different varieties of butter-sugar-flour. I’m sure if I served a fresh batch of any particular cookie alongside it’s frozen counterpart, I could probably pick the oven-fresh one out of the line-up. I’m not doing that, so that subtle flavor difference doesn’t come into play. The evidence is always eaten.

I just freeze them in single layers and thaw them by pulling them out the morning I want to serve them. Cookies come tovroom temperature quickly.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 5

Unsinkable's list was spot on. I made cookies and mailed them and they weren't even delivered until a week after I made them. They easily lasted a week, and they each are finishing off the last of them this weekend.  I did not send meringues because they are in a more humid area and I wasn't sure if they would survive.  I heard the peanut butter kisses were kind of dry but my dad put a slice of bread in the container and they softened up. 

Unsinkable, I bought the ingredients for the cuccidati and I'm making those this week to send to my sister.  (If there are enough left...I suspect I'm going to LOVE them. )

• Like 2

Unsinkable's list was spot on. I made cookies and mailed them and they weren't even delivered until a week after I made them. They easily lasted a week, and they each are finishing off the last of them this weekend. I did not send meringues because they are in a more humid area and I wasn't sure if they would survive. I heard the peanut butter kisses were kind of dry but my dad put a slice of bread in the container and they softened up.

Unsinkable, I bought the ingredients for the cuccidati and I'm making those this week to send to my sister. (If there are enough left...I suspect I'm going to LOVE them. )

That's awesome. It is so sweet of you to send them Christmas cookies!

I'm glad I could help. I love that book.

Let me know how the cuccidati turn out.

• Like 2

A very timely thread!

I just made monster christmas cookies.   Will these be okay sitting at room temp till Tuesday? Or should I put them in the fridge/freezer?

My high school kids do a hybrid school, so I'm baking teacher treats.

I saw the list above so thank goodness I'm making bourbon balls and buckeye's today and they'll be fine.

I'm rethinking the spiced banana bread today, maybe tomorrow will be a better plan for that.

During the month of December, I like to make cookies, eat some, and stash about a dozen in the freezer. This way, by Christmas, I have a platter with all the varieties. They’re cookies. They’re good. It’s easy. It’s basically different varieties of butter-sugar-flour. I’m sure if I served a fresh batch of any particular cookie alongside it’s frozen counterpart, I could probably pick the oven-fresh one out of the line-up. I’m not doing that, so that subtle flavor difference doesn’t come into play. The evidence is always eaten.

I just freeze them in single layers and thaw them by pulling them out the morning I want to serve them. Cookies come tovroom temperature quickly.

Do they have to sit in one layer to thaw? I’m mostly worried about soggy cold spots. I watched someone eat a profiterole that had been frozen and she spit that sucker right out because of soggy cold spots! It was funny, but I only say that because I wasn’t the host and they were not my profiteroles!

I freeze on serving trays I bought at IKEA with an extra tight wrap of cling film. I might remove the cling film and put fresh on to take to my event but other than that they are ready to go. I only freeze plain cookies so nothing cream filled. Things like mince pies freeze fine. Cut brownies, lemon bars, etc are fine arranged on trays.

If the event is more than two days out I freeze.

Eta.....I freeze Lemon Drizzle Bars https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemon_drizzle_traybake_01890 not the lemon bars those in the US would be thinking of. Sorry!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 1

My grandmother started baking late in November for Christmas, 8 kinds of cookies, several pounds of each. The only danger is that they get eaten early.

Stored properly (earthenware pots or metal tins) cookies keep a looong time. Some kinds require a few weeks maturing and only get better; it's already too late for proper gingerbread to be ready for Christmas.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

What kind of cookies do you freeze? And how do you thaw them without developing soggy spots or risking something is still cold?

I have successfully frozen most bar cookies (not lemon bars), sugar cookies, shortbread, pecan bars, rip-off recipe starbucks cranberry bliss bars, blondies... I'm sure there are others.  Oh, magic cookie bars - but they are so simple to make there's no reason to do ahead really.

I typically freeze chocolate chip and oatmeal cookie doughs in balls, ready to put on the cookie sheets and bake. 

I take things out the morning of the event, or the day before, depending on the time of the event. 

A profiterole is a little more tricky, I think, because they have to stay cold or at least cool because of the cream filling, right?  So they probably have to be defrosted in the fridge.  Cookies that can defrost at room temp are different. 

I also freeze slice-and-bake cookie dough and bake the morning of or day before. 

• Like 1

A very timely thread!

I just made monster christmas cookies. Will these be okay sitting at room temp till Tuesday? Or should I put them in the fridge/freezer?

My high school kids do a hybrid school, so I'm baking teacher treats.

I saw the list above so thank goodness I'm making bourbon balls and buckeye's today and they'll be fine.

I'm rethinking the spiced banana bread today, maybe tomorrow will be a better plan for that.

The banana bread will/would taste fine. I think it tastes better the "next day."

My issue with banana bread is that it is so moist it gets "sticky" ... Mostly on the top. KWIM? The further away from baking day, the stickier it seems to get.

• Like 2

Do they have to sit in one layer to thaw? I’m mostly worried about soggy cold spots. I watched someone eat a profiterole that had been frozen and she spit that sucker right out because of soggy cold spots! It was funny, but I only say that because I wasn’t the host and they were not my profiteroles!

I don’t know much about proper thawing for pastries. They seem more delicate and trickier to thaw. For cookies I just spread them out in a single layer; usually on cookie sheets, then transfer to a platter when thawed. I’ve never really cut it close enough to risk serving frozen cookies.

• Like 1