What's with the ads?

Photo

Anyone else have a student applying to grad school?

62 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#51 Sue in St Pete

Sue in St Pete

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:56 PM

My memories from 1987 are a bit fuzzy, but I chuckled today because I was thinking about when I applied to graduate school for Industrial Engineering/Operations Research.  I applied to Northwestern, Purdue, Stanford, Cornell, and maybe 2 more of similar caliber.  I think I was rejected by 2.  I think I was accepted at 4.  Northwestern offered a fellowship.  Purdue offered an assistantship.  Stanford (and the other acceptance) offered no financial aid.  I remember being very amused at being accepted at Stanford.  I think I had applied there for undergrad but was rejected.  Being accepted with no financial assistance was as good as a rejection.

I hope for acceptance AND financial assistance for our WTM students.  :blush5:

• Frances, creekland and amathis229 like this

#52 Harpymom

Harpymom

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

Our youngest is. Apps in. Auditions are next; he's a musician. 

And yes, it's nice to be an encouraging cheerleader without having to be responsible anymore.  :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Dd music major is a junior, starting to think about grad schools.  Is it like undergrad where the audition counts for a lot, or is it grades or GRE based as well?  Grad school is a mystery..

#53 Frances

Frances

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

My memories from 1987 are a bit fuzzy, but I chuckled today because I was thinking about when I applied to graduate school for Industrial Engineering/Operations Research. I applied to Northwestern, Purdue, Stanford, Cornell, and maybe 2 more of similar caliber. I think I was rejected by 2. I think I was accepted at 4. Northwestern offered a fellowship. Purdue offered an assistantship. Stanford (and the other acceptance) offered no financial aid. I remember being very amused at being accepted at Stanford. I think I had applied there for undergrad but was rejected. Being accepted with no financial assistance was as good as a rejection.

I hope for acceptance AND financial assistance for our WTM students. :blush5:

Wow! We could have ended up at Cornell together. I was applying at the same time and although my field was Statistics, I took several classes in Operations Research during my time there.
  • Sue in St Pete likes this

#54 Hoggirl

Hoggirl

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5088 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:18 AM

I was trying to remember how long ago the college sub forum was added. Maybe it's time for sub forum for grad/professional school as well!

#55 Sue in St Pete

Sue in St Pete

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

Maybe it's time for sub forum for grad/professional school as well!

It's difficult for me not to do the research about applications, majors, etc.  I want to pester ds about deadlines, references, transcripts, etc. 

I think I need a homeschoolers anonymous group.  Hi, my name is Sue, and I'm a recovering homeschooler....  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sue in St Pete, 18 January 2018 - 10:31 AM.

• dirty ethel rackham, Hoggirl, Gwen in VA and 5 others like this

#56 Gwen in VA

Gwen in VA

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

Dd music major is a junior, starting to think about grad schools.  Is it like undergrad where the audition counts for a lot, or is it grades or GRE based as well?  Grad school is a mystery..

At least in our experience, grad schools in music are interested in seeing a college transcript, recommendations, and a statement of purpose (length requirements vary). Most likely there will be a preliminary audition done by sending in recordings of pieces. If the student makes the preliminary round, then there is the in-person audition process....  No test scores of any kind are required -- the powers that be care about how good a musician the student is and is he at least a reasonable student, but the focus is on music, not on general academic prowess.

• Janice in NJ likes this

#57 plansrme

plansrme

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5775 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

That's a "yes" from Stanford!  She's already Rsvp'd to their accepted students day and has a Skype call set up with the guy who sent her the acceptance email.  

• dirty ethel rackham, 8FillTheHeart, Sue in St Pete and 14 others like this

#58 amathis229

amathis229

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

That's a "yes" from Stanford!  She's already Rsvp'd to their accepted students day and has a Skype call set up with the guy who sent her the acceptance email.  

That's fantastic! Their d.school program - fascinating!

• Hoggirl likes this

#59 creekland

creekland

Retired homeschooler!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24627 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:08 PM

It's difficult for me not to do the research about applications, majors, etc.  I want to pester ds about deadlines, references, transcripts, etc. 

I think I need a homeschoolers anonymous group.  Hi, my name is Sue, and I'm a recovering homeschooler....  :rolleyes:

And there are some of us who wish we hadn't given up our guidance counselor roles for professional school assuming other "knowledgeable" people would provide correct info as long as the student did their part.   :cursing:   I "might" still be a "wee" bit miffed at that one having happened.

As least it all turned out ok in the end when influential powers that be learned of it.  But those "knowledgeable" people are still out there AFAIK.  :glare:

• MerryAtHope likes this

#60 Dotwithaperiod

Dotwithaperiod

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5800 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

It's difficult for me not to do the research about applications, majors, etc. I want to pester ds about deadlines, references, transcripts, etc.

I think I need a homeschoolers anonymous group. Hi, my name is Sue, and I'm a recovering homeschooler.... :rolleyes:

Yes. I know which schools ds applied to, so I looked them up and wrote down submission deadlines. He had a prof that was interested in his choices, so I left it at that. There were times that I felt a strong need to “ suggest”, and I got extra happy when he asked for my advice on something, but it was such a relief to not be the major worrier-we need to get this done by such and such. Just knowing I was done with FAFSA was a life changer.

#61 MerryAtHope

MerryAtHope

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7787 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:04 AM

LOL, yeah, I'm not ready for the 12-step program yet! Thankfully I have undergrad students who (mostly!) appreciate my need to over-research (and over-think) things!

• Hoggirl likes this

#62 Janice in NJ

Janice in NJ

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2247 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:45 AM

Hi!

Chiming in with Gwen here. All applications have asked for a transcript; however, I suspect it's more of a sniff test. If you are seeking a Masters in Music Ed, most we have seen ask for a GRE, but it's not requested from performance majors. 

They do ask for a repertoire list with explanations - what was performed, etc. So if your student hasn't been tracking that, she should. Gwen mentioned a recording round prior to an audition. We have found that depends on the instrument. For example, piano and voice departments have asked for a recording; however, my student plays pipe organ, and the schools he has applied to haven't asked for a recording prior to the live audition. 

It is important to keep the resume in mind too. In the end, they are looking for strong players for performance programs; however, if your student needs money, it's important to keep an eye on that too. What kinds of jobs are available for grad students? TA for theory classes. Accompanying. Teaching lessons. Etc. In addition to focusing on performance, Ds has tried to gain as much experience as an undergrad in the areas that will make him competitive when it comes to getting the funding he is going to need in grad school - in terms of skill set and leadership experience. In his profession, there is also money to be made in off-campus churches. 

So for my kid, he has focused on building his resume in three areas:

1. Performance - competitions and recital experience

2. Departmental employment - teaching assistant for theory classes; accompanying for recitals, studio classes (sight reading), and department choirs; singer/section leader in a touring choir (as a section leader, he runs sectional rehearsals)

3. Off campus work: Organ Scholar experience all four years of undergrad

His resume has these sections:

Music Awards: list of competitions/scholarships won

Education: Degree info

Solo Recitals: List

Experience: Employment and volunteer work in college that make him departmentally employable in grad school

Music Activities: The catch all (For example, he has taken voice lessons all four years. He took time this past fall to travel to another state to attend an organ improvisation conference on his own. Etc)

I hope that helps. Momma brag here: as a winner in the AGO/Quimby Regional Competition last year, the lad will be playing this summer at the Organ Guild's national convention as one of their "Rising Stars." The program will be offered on Michael Barone's Pipedreams Live Radio broadcast. Should be fun! 

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey 

P.S. Editing here. Note: if you look at what Ds has focused on, you will notice the DISTINCT absence of classes/grades. Yes, he needed to get decent grades for the past four years; however, for what he is planning to do, the difference between all A's and having a couple of B's thrown isn't a big difference. For example, A's within his department/major are important, but I suspect no one cares a bit if he earned B's in his gen ed classes. BUT if he had no experience as a theory TA? I'm sure that would be a strike against him. Keep in mind, he received NO academic credit for doing that - for multiple semesters - a VERY time consuming job. His off campus job also consumes a ton of his time as does the touring choir he participates in as a volunteer. (They rehearse for 7.5 hours a week - and that doesn't include the section leader mtgs with the conductor and the prep for the rehearsals he runs. Nor does it include prep time when he is accompanying. But a fantastic experience - YouTube video linked below - it was taken during their international tour (Japan/South Korea) last summer. Ds is accompanying the choir.) Again - no mention of either on his transcript. Competitions on his performance instrument? An enormous time commitment! And relevant for his path - but again - not on the transcript. 

Said all that to say this: every kid's path is different. So it's important to help them roughly sketch it out and then fine-tune it as you go to help them get their priorities straight. TOUGH to do - because they are in an academic environment that focuses on grades. Which makes the transcript seem like the most important thing. In Ds's case, his classes land almost dead last when it comes to where he is focusing his attention. Odd. Strange. But necessary. In Ds's particular case, the education he receives because of the environment tends to overshadow the education he gets in the classroom. 

(And I get it - the standard 2 hours outside of class for every hour in class. I have hammered that home since they started taking college classes while in high school. Bam. Bam. Bam over the head with that. However, if you map out this kid's schedule, it is literally impossible. Literally. There is no time left for the priority list. And if he skips that, he can't go where he wants to go. Hence - the priority list dictates the daily/weekly schedule.)

Sue: I hear you about the recovering homeschooler part regarding the application process. However, from what I understand, this really is just standard parenting at this point. As in we aren't being helicopter homeschoolers - the "regular" parents are a part of the grad school process to some extent. :-)   Kids have to those preliminary conversations with someone about what they want and how they are going to pursue it. No paid person is going to take the time to hash all of this out with them in the preliminary rounds. Once they have a rough draft, then I send them to go talk to the mentors/pros who are paid to help/advise them. Otherwise, the kid ends up being the dog at the new pan - wasting everyone's time because they just don't know how to approach this stuff. WAY less involvement then I had during the undergrad app process - night and day - but still needed to be there on some level. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Rock on!

Scroll 9:55 minutes in for accompanying clip.

It was toward the end of the tour; you can see how exhausted but happy they all are. 

Edited by Janice in NJ, Today, 06:48 AM.

#63 Sue in St Pete

Sue in St Pete

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:00 PM

Momma brag here: as a winner in the AGO/Quimby Regional Competition last year, the lad will be playing this summer at the Organ Guild's national convention as one of their "Rising Stars." The program will be offered on Michael Barone's Pipedreams Live Radio broadcast. Should be fun!

Very exciting!  Congratulations.  Please consider posting how we can listen to it. :bigear:

Sue: I hear you about the recovering homeschooler part regarding the application process. However, from what I understand, this really is just standard parenting at this point. As in we aren't being helicopter homeschoolers - the "regular" parents are a part of the grad school process to some extent. :-)   Kids have to those preliminary conversations with someone about what they want and how they are going to pursue it. No paid person is going to take the time to hash all of this out with them in the preliminary rounds. Once they have a rough draft, then I send them to go talk to the mentors/pros who are paid to help/advise them. Otherwise, the kid ends up being the dog at the new pan - wasting everyone's time because they just don't know how to approach this stuff. WAY less involvement then I had during the undergrad app process - night and day - but still needed to be there on some level.

Thanks for the kind words, Janice.  You are right.  It helps him to get a rough draft of an idea about the future and others help him fine tune it.

Scroll 9:55 minutes in for accompanying clip.

It was toward the end of the tour; you can see how exhausted but happy they all are.

Loved this.  Especially the Lux Aeterna and Daniel.  I spent a little time looking for more.  They sing like angels!  How wonderful that your ds gets to have such of a rich college experience.

Edited by Sue in St Pete, Yesterday, 05:00 PM.